shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this solitaire setting?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am on the hunt for a setting for my 2.73 antique asscher. I am leaning towards a classic solitaire with a thin band and this one caught my eye. I am curious if anyone has it, or can speak to the durability of the floating basket. I do love that it would allow me to see every angle of my diamond! It feels very minimalistic which I love. If it will fit the elongated shape of my diamond...

I also love rounded wire shanks with no cathedrals if you care to link any that you find :)

henri-daussi-solitaire-engagement-ring-as-2-l.jpg

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Lovely setting! What happened with the one you were designing with GOG?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LOL It came in WAY over budget sadly. Taking the reins on my own to get something non-custom :)

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely different one you found on JA. Were you planning on keeping the setting for a long time or short time? My fear with the JA is that it may get tiring after awhile. It is really unique though. I do like the first one you posted, but it is more simple.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I agree with you about the JA. I like the first one, too but I keep hearing things about issues with Daussi settings. I wish I could figure out whether it's a pave issue or structural or what. Otherwise I like the modern feel of the first one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't like it structurally. And it's a cathedral, and I thought you said you didn't want that.

Ask Yekutiel for a price on these. IGNORE the sizing listed. They don't list all the stones sizes available for each setting and your stone could take a cushion setting. That's Yekutiel's job, okay? Even if GOG already looked into it Yekutiel's pricing is a LOT better than than GOG's on this kind of stuff.

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122089/10316009/?groupId=120319#/center-stone
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122100/9138808/?groupId=119111#/center-stone
http://www.stuller.com/products/121856/?groupId=110471
I have a few more too.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Gypsy. No, you are right I don't love cathedral - the Daussi was intriguing to me because I like the floating basket but obviously it would need to be held up by cathedral sides. In that instance I would be okay with it. But if it's structurally unsound then I'll cross it off the list. I really do like rounded wire shanks, 1.8mm seems to be the sweet spot.

The diamond is en route to me and I will have it tomorrow - would love not to send it back across the country. I plan to take it to a few stores in town tomorrow to see what makes it sing.

Peter Suchy and Diamond Violet/Treasurely by Dima both found estate settings which may work for my diamond so I will post those if they look promising. Otherwise keep them coming!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is a temp setting, I would set it in something $500 or less and be done until you are ready to reset. These stones are enhanced so much in appearance by a halo, in my opinion, but whatever you do as a final setting, I would want to save the money for that. You'll not get more than scrap value for a used solitaire setting that fit a fancy shape stone, usually.

I really like the Stuller settings Gypsy posted. I think on a mid-lower set head, cathedral sides are not unattractive and they always add stability.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Put it in a simple solitaire for now. Then save for what you really want. And you may find you like the solitaire. I put my OEC in a simple 4 Prong soli thinking it was temporary and guess what? Turns out I like it so much I haven't even thought of a reset.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1455372404|3990500 said:
If this is a temp setting, I would set it in something $500 or less and be done until you are ready to reset. These stones are enhanced so much in appearance by a halo, in my opinion, but whatever you do as a final setting, I would want to save the money for that. You'll not get more than scrap value for a used solitaire setting that fit a fancy shape stone, usually.

I really like the Stuller settings Gypsy posted. I think on a mid-lower set head, cathedral sides are not unattractive and they always add stability.

Yes I am considering a halo on a plain shank. Especially since I am worried about how much smaller this will feel than my marquise. I worry about whether I will get tired of a halo, or if they are going out of style? As for cathedral sides, they are not unattractive, I have had a few, but I do prefer the look of a straight shank into the bottom of the basket :) I am still considering the art deco piece with the two stepped baguettes on either side.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with those that have mentioned doing an inexpensive temp setting. Save that money for your dream setting! Good luck! :wavey:

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The diamond arrived!!!!!! OMG it sparkles in every type of light, I am in LOVE!! But am wondering if it needs a halo. MSOP I have been following your thread on halo to solitaire. I am deciding which way to go.

I found this platinum and single cut setting that I may purchase....it would fit my diamond and would match my single cut band. And it is a fantastic price so it could even be temp.

Or I may save up and go this route, minus the bezel maybe, with David Klass.

What to do!

screenshot_2016-02-13-11-54-39.jpg

screenshot_2016-02-13-09-37-38.jpg

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ahh I think this is my dream ring. Love the shape and details of the halo above, but with the prongs and triple wire shank on this one. May need to put it in the plat setting of the previous post while I save.

screenshot_2016-02-13-14-49-13.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results