shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this setting

DrGunner

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I finally have my stone paid off so I can now focus on the setting.

I am trying to make this a surprise so I have essentially no input from my girlfriend. When I was browsing through the settings at WF, this is the only setting that jumped out at me. I really love the split shank design. I am going to make one change. I want them to round out the prongs so that its not so "boxy" from the top view.

When I was talking with my sales rep, she mentioned that the diamond kinda sits high with that setting. Ill ask them to set it as low as possible, but do you still think that its going to be a problem? The center stone is 2.4ct so I figure that its gonna sit pretty high on any setting right? ;)) Anyone else have any comments, suggestions, changes, or other options????? Thanks

The stone....... http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2561983.htm

1.166ct F Si1 ACA in Katie Pave flower.jpg

1.507ct H VS2 ACA in Katie pave flower.jpg

thumbnailCAMPMJPL.jpg

thumbnailCASA3REY.jpg

DrGunner

Rough_Rock
A few more pics

thumbnailCAW2SCZ4.jpg

thumbnailCA4HABPI.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that is a beautiful diamond you picked out :)

as far as the setting I think they could make it so the diamond sits a little lower? I am not sure how thin the prongs could be just because of the design...but you could definitely ask

DrGunner

Rough_Rock
Thanks SLG :D

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask them to hybridize them. I prefer the pave style (bright cut, I think) of the first setting, and the profile (the way it sits lower) of the second. Since they make them all to order, they should be able to come up with something amazing.

For reference as them to look at the Daniel K Union and Split Shanks settings as well as Leon's "Pokey Special" setting (both are searchable here on PS and WF should be sophisticated enough to look them up and find them).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love a split shank like that. Find out how low they can make the setting, ask them to be specific and give mm measurements for you. Ideally, in my opinion you want he culet (point) of the stone sitting about 1.8 - 2mm off the finger so that when you wear a wedding band you can just see the culet over the top of the wedding band. So add 2mm to the depth of your stone and that is the ideal height! :)) So around 7.3 - 7.5mm height for the table of the stone!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love a well done split shank. The WF one seems to bulky for me, I do like the Brian Gavin one though.

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
I love the original whiteflash setting posted. If you look at the profile of the ring you get a completely unobstructed view of the stone. It almost reminds me of a tension setting. On all the other settings there seems to be a basket obstructing the profile view of the stone. I also like the harder lines of the first ring posted, I think the contrast with the rounded edge of the diamond will be beautiful.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Jayme I agree, the original WF setting is my favorite too. the BGD one looks like there is a metal bar in between the splits of the shank whereas the WF one you can really see the splits. That one actually does not look like it is set any higher than the other one from WF. I would second Dreamer's recommendation and ask the diamond to be set so the culet is ~2 mm above the bottom. I think if you get the prongs rounded out a bit at the top it will be perfect!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

DrGunner

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the input!!!

I've seen the Allero D from WF..... and I dont personally care for it too much. I think it looks a little to antique for my tastes. I like how the orginal setting I showed has very clean modern look with a very pronounced split shank.

Thanks for the specific measurements Dreamer. I will call them Monday to see if they can make it close to those specs.

DrGunner

Rough_Rock
Dreamer and Slg-

just to clarify, the cutlet should sit about 2mm off of the finger (point B) or the top of the ring (Point A). It looks like the bar that goes across (point C) is about 2mm in itself, which would make the cutlet sit 4mm above the finger. Is that right? sounds kinda high? :???:

ring.JPG

slg47

Ideal_Rock
just ask that the top of the culet is just barely visible when a band is worn next to the ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results