shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this ruby

Well, I would love to have access to private collectors that want to sell their gorgeous stones!

So, another option, I could for a similar price get a 4 carat very pink unheated ruby, see video. It's the stone on the left. https://pin.it/7sxkEONWu

For once in my life, I was in the right place at the right time! Is this Inken's stone as well?

Well, I would love to have access to private collectors that want to sell their gorgeous stones!

So, another option, I could for a similar price get a 4 carat very pink unheated ruby, see video. It's the stone on the left. https://pin.it/7sxkEONWu

I should also tell you, Inken sourced my blue sapphire, and it is the finest color I've personally ever seen. She has an extremely discerning eye.

It's not, I don't think Inken would offer something this pink.

I don't like to outright say "choose this stone over that one." Gems are really personal, you know? So it's going to be a matter of what's more important to you. It seems like you're really interested in a larger stone, and I will always go for quality over quantity. I think it's fair to say Inken's stone objectively has the better color. But you may really like strong pink rubies... and this new stone appears to be more crystalline. So you have some decision making to do! It's never easy!!

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I don't like to outright say "choose this stone over that one." Gems are really personal, you know? So it's going to be a matter of what's more important to you. It seems like you're really interested in a larger stone, and I will always go for quality over quantity. I think it's fair to say Inken's stone objectively has the better color. But you may really like strong pink rubies... and this new stone appears to be more crystalline. So you have some decision making to do! It's never easy!!

It's very pink, I saw a pink ruby in a store over the weekend and liked it until I saw it next to a red ruby. If they weren't side by side I wouldn't have noticed.

I want a big impact = big stone? I agree the color is more desirable on Inken's.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
If you didn't tell us anything, I'd call the new stone a sapphire. It's a lovely pink sapphire.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I agree- a beautiful warm toned pink sapphire. I prefer warm pink vs cool pink, flatters my skin tone.
If you didn't tell us anything, I'd call the new stone a sapphire. It's a lovely pink sapphire.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I think you have a winner with that ruby from Inken... but if you decide not to proceed, you can always ask her to source a sapphire for you. :P2

Tough tough choices, I'm also trying to buy a house now so too many decisions right now!

I wanted to be the first one in my family to have a ruby, we all have to have goals, right? I already have several sapphire pieces but nothing above 2 carats. so wanted to go bigger, this time.

What are you going to do with your ruby?

Tough tough choices, I'm also trying to buy a house now so too many decisions right now!

I wanted to be the first one in my family to have a ruby, we all have to have goals, right? I already have several sapphire pieces but nothing above 2 carats. so wanted to go bigger, this time.

What are you going to do with your ruby?

I bought a house recently too (my first!). Yeah, that needs to be the priority. lol Remember, 2+ct. in a ruby is considered large. :geek2:

I think I am going to set him in a 5 stone ring. We shall see... the next gem I'm setting is my red spinel, so everything else is down a ways in the queue. :roll2:

Happy house hunting!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That Ruby from Inken is the stuff dreams are made of and investing in a phenomenal setting will create the presence you are after far more than an extra millimeter in diameter for the center stone. Given the geopolitical climate and especially the way rubies are going up in price so much I think you should keep this amazing stone and just live it and feel so happy to have it. I would absolutely love a gem like this but I don’t think it will ever happen now!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So.

You get the stone.

You get your phone.

You open your camera app.

You proceed to take 20-30 pictures.

You take a couple of minutes to vent your frustration about how none of the photos come even close to capturing the real beauty of the ruby.

You then proceed to take another 100-150 pictures.

Eventually one of them will look satisfactory. You will post that one photo and gather 30-40 likes and a bunch of comments asking for more pictures.

You will despair and take another hundred photos.

You will continue to use that one single photo every time you need to show your ruby in the future.

To really challenge yourself, get an Alexandrite.
4 years, 3 iphones, 2 actual cameras and 1,000 photos later, still hoping to take a photo that equals what my eyes see.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I bought a house recently too (my first!). Yeah, that needs to be the priority. lol Remember, 2+ct. in a ruby is considered large. :geek2:

I think I am going to set him in a 5 stone ring. We shall see... the next gem I'm setting is my red spinel, so everything else is down a ways in the queue. :roll2:

Happy house hunting!

One more option, CD excellent, only slightly bigger face up (still under 9x7), heated. https://pin.it/1Z4Niz5WY

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The Inken ruby is still the best specimen for me.
Are you sure you might not be happier with a spinel? That will give you the color and the crystalline quality you gravitate toward.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Is Spinel going to be a great everyday ring?

It's my favorite stone. I have it as my e-ring. It's slightly less hard than ruby but many people wear it as a daily ring. It's an 8 on the Mohs.
I wouldn't garden in it or anything but I don't worry about mine at all.

Is Spinel going to be a great everyday ring?

Spinel is thought to be durable enough for every day wear (an 8 mohs as opposed to a 9 like ruby). It didn't occur to me until @ItsMainelyYou pointed that out... red spinel might be exactly what you're after. You can go bigger, it's brighter and more crystalline, and it's quite lively. But I'd be remiss if I didn't say plainly that I still think that last ruby from Inken is a winner.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
But is it just color you are after or is it a RUBY you are after?

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
Spinel is thought to be durable enough for every day wear (an 8 mohs as opposed to a 9 like ruby). It didn't occur to me until @ItsMainelyYou pointed that out... red spinel might be exactly what you're after. You can go bigger, it's brighter and more crystalline, and it's quite lively. But I'd be remiss if I didn't say plainly that I still think that last ruby from Inken is a winner.

Yes, its beautiful. I'm having a hard time establishing if it's the best I can get for the budget. It seems a bit expensive compared to some other options online, and without a uniform grading system, it's hard to judge.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
Hello :)

From experience, it might look a little less saturated in person. Ask Inken if the video accurately depicts the color she sees in person. She will tell you things as they are, you can count on that.

Personally, I find the color very appealing. The only minus is the lack of life in the centre of the stone. It’s not a window, but as others have pointed out it is a bit spready, so the light return is not optimal. For 8-9k/ct you can’t hope for a perfect stone in that size. Also, Inken’s prices are generally on the high side, but this one seems ok-priced, considering it is sourced for you. Can you find a better stone at the same price? Perhaps, but it might take a while. Buying rubies is hard.

Do you have the ability to evaluate the stone in person and return it should you not be convinced? There is no better judge than your guts.

good luck and keep us posted!!

Could you please estimate a fair price per carat on the 2.18ct stone posted in this thread? It's slpR5/4, eye clean, unheated Mozambique.

Thanks!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, its beautiful. I'm having a hard time establishing if it's the best I can get for the budget. It seems a bit expensive compared to some other options online, and without a uniform grading system, it's hard to judge.

I understand this type of remorse/concern/obsessive thinking. I always experience it after a major purchase. It is not logical though. What you have found is a supremely rare specimen. This is why it took so many years to find. The rarity is why Inken has a living sourcing these specimens for people. There are no true comps, even those ones you have seen online (which you don't even know if they are true comps). Perhaps this uncertainty is purposeful on the part of the industry -- it definitely works in the gem trade's favour to keep pricing vague and hard to determine. Yet as we all know, colored gems are not diamonds. The whole industry works completely differently, from the mining processes to the way the gems are traded. And the product itself is not standardized, maybe a little to help maintain a sellers market but also probably because its not truly possible to do that with colored gems.

Anyway, my point is that I don't think you can get the answers that you think will make you feel better about this purchase. You will not find "comps", and if you do find something that feels like a comp, it may not be. I suspect you may have to turn to other solutions to the vague unease you feel about this purchase. Like reminding yourself you have spent years hunting. And that what you have found is rare. And spending some time sitting with your gem and just getting lost in its beauty so you are reminded of why it is so special and worth the price.

I can honestly say that's one of the nicest rubies I've seen on PS, and you already have it in-hand. So if you love it, I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's the best possible bang for your buck. Remember, rubies are one of the most valuable gems on earth... and they're extremely difficult to buy. So having someone like Inken weed through the pile of hay to find the needle (and stay on budget) is worth its weight in gold. That being said, and regardless of everyone's advice, you know best what's right for you. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results