color
clarity

Opinions on this ruby

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I prefer this one:

Adam95

Shiny_Rock

Their average quality is pretty good but their prices are very, very high. Also, they have spinel filtered under ruby...

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock

Their average quality is pretty good but their prices are very, very high. Also, they have spinel filtered under ruby...

The ruby video that you inserted above is not a ruby that is available. What are you basing your "very high" pricing evaluation on? I find that unheated ruby that are eye clean and well cut are very expensive stones everywhere that I look.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I got then stone in person and did not love it. The center of the stone was just flat, with no light reflecting back at me. I'm not loving the lack of brilliance in so many rubies in the marketplace.

I find blue sapphires to be more sparkly. Anyway, I'm been offered another stone- please let me know your thoughts.

This one is smaller but unheated and has pink flashes, the certificate says the color is "red." The last stone was pigeon blood which was pretty accurate, lovely and bright in the sun, flat indoors.

@VividRed @Autumn in New England

Here's another comparison video vs. the larger pigeon blood stone...still looking pretty red.

Inken sent this smaller unheated stone, it's so beautiful and lively. Can anyone guide me on how to take a photo or video of a ruby?

Yippee! I knew Inken would come through!!
congrats.gif

So I usually just stand near a nice big window to take my photos (I avoid direct sun). I hate the interference of yellow or blue on the stone under artificial lighting. Then once all the facets light up, snap it. You can see by the layman's terms that I am not a photographer by trade.
snicker.gif

I can't wait to see your pix!!

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
congrats.gif

So I usually just stand near a nice big window to take my photos (I avoid direct sun). I hate the interference of yellow or blue on the stone under artificial lighting. Then once all the facets light up, snap it. You can see by the layman's terms that I am not a photographer by trade.
snicker.gif

congrats.gif

snicker.gif

I still haven't mastered photos, here's a video!
Link to Pinterest with video: Ruby

I still haven't mastered photos, here's a video!
Link to Pinterest with video: Ruby

Well isn't she just stunning!! I mean, what more could you ask for... untreated, good size, clean, lively flashes. Are you pleased?!
anotherdancyguy.gif

P.S. I had no idea you could upload videos to pinterest. It does serve a purpose other than to torture us, @mellowyellowgirl!

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
Well isn't she just stunning!! I mean, what more could you ask for... untreated, good size, clean, lively flashes. Are you pleased?!
anotherdancyguy.gif

P.S. I had no idea you could upload videos to pinterest. It does serve a purpose other than to torture us, @mellowyellowgirl!

I think it's truly stunning but would like it to be a bit bigger. My ideal would be 9.2x7.2 mm the exact size of a sapphire three stone (3 ovals) ring I tried on. This one is 8.59x6.89 mm, so a bit smaller and then the side stones would be smaller, overall looks smaller, etc....

I think it's truly stunning but would like it to be a bit bigger. My ideal would be 9.2x7.2 mm the exact size of a sapphire three stone (3 ovals) ring I tried on. This one is 8.59x6.89 mm, so a bit smaller and then the side stones would be smaller, overall looks smaller, etc....

That's still a really good size for a fine, untreated ruby! How do you feel about the pink/red balance of color in person?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone guide me on how to take a photo or video of a ruby?

So.

You get the stone.

You get your phone.

You open your camera app.

You proceed to take 20-30 pictures.

You take a couple of minutes to vent your frustration about how none of the photos come even close to capturing the real beauty of the ruby.

You then proceed to take another 100-150 pictures.

Eventually one of them will look satisfactory. You will post that one photo and gather 30-40 likes and a bunch of comments asking for more pictures.

You will despair and take another hundred photos.

You will continue to use that one single photo every time you need to show your ruby in the future.

So.

You get the stone.

You get your phone.

You take a couple of minutes to vent your frustration about how none of the photos come even close to capturing the real beauty of the ruby.

Eventually one of them will look satisfactory. You will post that one photo and gather 30-40 likes and a bunch of comments asking for more pictures.

You will continue to use that one single photo every time you need to show your ruby in the future.

OMG... I can't! If this isn't the truest experience ever related on PS!!
grins.gif

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
That's still a really good size for a fine, untreated ruby! How do you feel about the pink/red balance of color in person?

It's one of the finest rubies I've ever seen and I've been looking for years and years. Certainly the finest I've seen at this price. I don't mind the pink because its only pink flashes and I like having those lighter flashes in sapphire gems so the color isn't flat. To my eyes the stone is medium red with pink flashes and lighter red flashes.

It's one of the finest rubies I've ever seen and I've been looking for years and years. Certainly the finest I've seen at this price. I don't mind the pink because its only pink flashes and I like having those lighter flashes in sapphire gems so the color isn't flat. To my eyes the stone is medium red with pink flashes and lighter red flashes.

Sounds like you've found your dream stone, my friend. Now I can't wait to see it set!

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
So.

You get the stone.

You get your phone.

I really enjoyed your explanation!

I got a couple to capture the neon flash but I think the focus was on my finger and not the ruby! Still learning! tempImagewVfpKa.png

Attachments

• tempImageTchD9V.png
    tempImageTchD9V.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • tempImageo4Epgj.png
    tempImageo4Epgj.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know anything about ruby grading? Do you think this ruby is good, fine, extra fine quality? It's double certified unheated GRS and AGL.

Does anyone know anything about ruby grading? Do you think this ruby is good, fine, extra fine quality? It's double certified unheated GRS and AGL.

I guess it depends on who you ask... because it's based mostly on color (hue, tone, and saturation), it's going to be rather subjective. AGL does have a grading service, but beware, they're rather fastidious. Just using my eyeballs, this is a very fine ruby. I don't think anyone would say otherwise. But as far as numerical grading goes, you never know.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I guess it depends on who you ask... because it's based mostly on color (hue, tone, and saturation), it's going to be rather subjective. AGL does have a grading service, but beware, they're rather fastidious. Just using my eyeballs, this is a very fine ruby. I don't think anyone would say otherwise. But as far as numerical grading goes, you never know.

What does extra fine look like?

What does extra fine look like?

I just don't think of gems in terms of these monikers, because there's no uniform grading system in place. It's like when you see AAA, AAAA, AAAAA+ quality gems for sale. Which is the best, I always think? lol How about AAAAAAAAAAAAA?
topsy.gif

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
I just don't think of gems in terms of these monikers, because there's no uniform grading system in place. It's like when you see AAA, AAAA, AAAAA+ quality gems for sale. Which is the best, I always think? lol How about AAAAAAAAAAAAA?
topsy.gif

Yeah, I saw this ring at David Yurman in 2019. Haven't seen anything else like it. To me, it's extra fine to others, who knows? I know some vendors are on these boards too. Maybe someone will educate me.
1713148865854.png

Yeah, I saw this ring at David Yurman in 2019. Haven't seen anything else like it. To me, it's extra fine to others, who knows? I know some vendors are on these boards too. Maybe someone will educate me.
1713148865854.png

It's very crystalline, which is awesome. I wonder how dark it would get in certain lightings though. I think your stone is brighter.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love:That's a nice ruby you were able to get, I actually prefer it's silk to the the crystal of the DY ring. For me, that's what ruby is about.
(and that's saying something as that ring looks like a spinel and spinel is my favorite!)
I also love a pink leaning red.

If you ever want a crystalline stone in the future, spinel will get you that look.

mamalovesgems

Shiny_Rock
Great question! My ruby is Mozambique and unheated. She does have a touch of silk, but is otherwise eye clean. She's well-cut (for a ruby) and never loses her pavilion facets. She scintillates in all lighting. That being said, are there more crystalline stones out there? Certainly. I should take a video some time. But the real reason I fell in love with her was the color. I desperately wanted a true red without any significant pink, purple, orange, or brown. I think I was just in the right place at the right time with this one. She's not perfect, but she's pretty darn close to my ideal ruby (if only she were 10x bigger :bigsmile:).

Here's a photo under indirect daylight:

index1zac756cv9b09p88.jpg

How big is your beauty? Who sourced it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results