shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Radiant Diamond!

lr0614

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Your opinions on this Radiant Diamond would be greatly appreciated! We're hoping we've finally picked our diamond but I am a little worried that I see a bowtie. Is it too prominent/should I find a better diamond? Or should I not be worried about it? We also know windowing is seen as well - does anyone happen to know if windowing is more prominent in a certain type of band? We are considering either yellow gold band solitaire with white gold head (two-tone) OR a white gold diamond band. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Details on the Radiant
Carat Weight: 2.05
Dimensions: 8.58 x 6.59 x 4.43mm
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
Depth: 67.2
Table: 66
Thickness: Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet: None

Video 1 (Radiant for review is on the left (larger)): https://streamable.com/4vzes7
Video 2: https://streamable.com/amu8jn
Video 3: https://streamable.com/7q0wue
Video 4 (Please look at Radiant, not Oval): https://streamable.com/bhdixk

(I blacked out a smaller radiant in the photos below)

Indoor Lighting:
6EA236E5-F4ED-4A63-A107-FBD8FB01792C.JPG

Natural Outdoor Lighting:
49715228-9C5A-421D-9484-59B875C610FC.JPG

Diamond by itself:
IMG_5648.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is that radiant is one of the hardest shapes to find a well cut stone. My recommendation is to see as many as you can, and then you may be able to see that one stands out more than the others. I would not recommend buying this stone yet if you haven't looked at several others prior to this one.

lr0614

Rough_Rock
Confirm DSér
And do be aware they show a lot of color

Thank you Garry and Diamondseeker!

We saw several radiant options but they were all smaller in dimensions and carats. The jeweler said that the dark areas will be larger and more obvious because the surface area of diamond is larger than the several that we’ve seen. Is this true?

Also, is showing a lot of color bad?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is good for an elongated radiant cut diamond.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Garry and Diamondseeker!

We saw several radiant options but they were all smaller in dimensions and carats. The jeweler said that the dark areas will be larger and more obvious because the surface area of diamond is larger than the several that we’ve seen. Is this true?

Also, is showing a lot of color bad?

By color, he means the tint of the stone (I colored... near colorless means it has a slight tint). You can see it
when it is side-by-side in the first video. The other stone appears less tinted. If it doesnt bother you then its not
an issue. You do need to look at it in all different lighting situations though because stones will show more or less tint
depending on the lighting/environment.

Have you looked at the radiants on JA or Bluenile just to get an idea of the different looks? Also, see as many in person as you
can...I know thats probably difficult.

I dont think the stone is bad for a long radiant but it really depends if the area through the center bothers you or not.

lr0614

Rough_Rock
By color, he means the tint of the stone (I colored... near colorless means it has a slight tint). You can see it
when it is side-by-side in the first video. The other stone appears less tinted. If it doesnt bother you then its not
an issue. You do need to look at it in all different lighting situations though because stones will show more or less tint
depending on the lighting/environment.

Have you looked at the radiants on JA or Bluenile just to get an idea of the different looks? Also, see as many in person as you
can...I know thats probably difficult.

I dont think the stone is bad for a long radiant but it really depends if the area through the center bothers you or not.

Thank you, tyty333!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the Radiant Cut club, @lr0614 :wavey: How's your search going?

Mine has a similar ratio as yours but a bit skinnier. It's set in platinum.

1a.JPG

See post #103 & #108 below for deets and more photos if needed.

I find that the "bowtie" of your radiant is less visible from all the videos. Is that true when you look at it in person?

You ok with I color?

Best of luck in finding your dream radiant diamond soon!

Last edited:

lr0614

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the Radiant Cut club, @lr0614 :wavey: How's your search going?

Mine has a similar ratio as yours but a bit skinnier. It's set in platinum.

1a.JPG

See post #103 & #108 below for deets and more photos if needed.

I find that the "bowtie" of your radiant is less visible from all the videos. Is that true when you look at it in person?

You ok with I color?

Best of luck in finding your dream radiant diamond soon!

Your ring is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for the picture and showing me the other thread!

I asked my jeweler if he can send me videos of the diamond in indoor and outside lighting in a white gold diamond setting and he sent me these:

It looks A LOT better than my pictures and videos. Am I just horrible at taking photos and videos of diamonds?

I actually didn't notice the yellow tint in person until I saw it in my videos. In these new videos, is this color acceptable?

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I have a radiant too! Mine is even warmer, a K color, but I like warmth in stones. The bowtie in that stone wouldn't bother me. Now the question becomes does it bother you and how color sensitive you are.

lr0614

Rough_Rock
I have a radiant too! Mine is even warmer, a K color, but I like warmth in stones. The bowtie in that stone wouldn't bother me. Now the question becomes does it bother you and how color sensitive you are.

Thank you, ThiaChelf! Do you have any photos/videos of your radiant I could see? I haven't really seen any diamonds past J set in a band on PS.

I didn't even connect that color sensitivity could factor in the color of the diamond. I took the Hue Test other people were taking from a thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-color-sensitive-are-you.243414/) and I got a score of 4. Might be why my boyfriend and I can't see the same things on this diamonds because of how sensitive my eyes are and his probably aren't so thank you for that!

I don't think the color in the new videos is bad - it does seem more white than "colorless" and I guess I wouldn't be able to tell unless it was next to a D-H ring. I'm still perplexed at how my videos/photos are so different in quality

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, ThiaChelf! Do you have any photos/videos of your radiant I could see? I haven't really seen any diamonds past J set in a band on PS.

I didn't even connect that color sensitivity could factor in the color of the diamond. I took the Hue Test other people were taking from a thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-color-sensitive-are-you.243414/) and I got a score of 4. Might be why my boyfriend and I can't see the same things on this diamonds because of how sensitive my eyes are and his probably aren't so thank you for that!

I don't think the color in the new videos is bad - it does seem more white than "colorless" and I guess I wouldn't be able to tell unless it was next to a D-H ring. I'm still perplexed at how my videos/photos are so different in quality

There are a few links to lower colored diamonds. My radiant and my oval are both ks and are on that thread. Ill see if I can dig up some vids too.

Color is what it is....but everyone sees color differently. So what might drive one person nuts is ok to another. I can see color pretty well as I'm a hairstylist and I'm trained to see that because I do hair color lol. But I'm not color sensitive in that warmth in diamond doesnt bother me.

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
20200820_133316.jpg
Both my Ks in natural lighting....the oval has medium blue fluorescence so it faces up whiter

er 20200811_173217.jpg
1.41 ct radiant K vs2 on a rose gold pave band...it takes on almost a champagne tint imo....its not a true fancy champagne diamond but beautiful in its own right.

Most of my stones are Is, Js and Ks. I have one G. My favorites are the Ks and my I mrb that is 0.86 ct and extremely well cut. It faces upfar whiter than an I because of its cut. You'll find fancy shapes like radiants and ovals show more color.

Eta I love that test....i got a 0 haha....but again I'm a stylist and color is part of my everyday life.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for the picture and showing me the other thread!

I asked my jeweler if he can send me videos of the diamond in indoor and outside lighting in a white gold diamond setting and he sent me these:

It looks A LOT better than my pictures and videos. Am I just horrible at taking photos and videos of diamonds?

I actually didn't notice the yellow tint in person until I saw it in my videos. In these new videos, is this color acceptable?

I think it looked pretty good in those videos. Not showing much of a bow-tie at all.

lr0614

Rough_Rock
20200820_133316.jpg
Both my Ks in natural lighting....the oval has medium blue fluorescence so it faces up whiter

er 20200811_173217.jpg
1.41 ct radiant K vs2 on a rose gold pave band...it takes on almost a champagne tint imo....its not a true fancy champagne diamond but beautiful in its own right.

Most of my stones are Is, Js and Ks. I have one G. My favorites are the Ks and my I mrb that is 0.86 ct and extremely well cut. It faces upfar whiter than an I because of its cut. You'll find fancy shapes like radiants and ovals show more color.

Eta I love that test....i got a 0 haha....but again I'm a stylist and color is part of my everyday life.

Your rings are gorgeous! I love the Radiant K on a rose gold band. Thank you, ThiaChelf!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

:love: I love it.

When there is scintillation, it helps to look less warm.

Faint fluorescence might also help too.

Looking at diamonds under certain direct sunlight might not be the best, JMO.

lr0614

Rough_Rock
:love: I love it.

When there is scintillation, it helps to look less warm.

Faint fluorescence might also help too.

Looking at diamonds under certain direct sunlight might not be the best, JMO.

Thank you very much, Rad_Fan!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Have you decided yet? :appl:

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
Yes! I decided to go with this diamond. Everyone's input was so helpful and it made me feel so much better to go forward with it. Thank you again!

Awesome! Can't wait to see when you get it!

lr0614

Rough_Rock
Look who just got a Radiant! Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes & fiancee Brittany Matthews

Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes & fiancee Brittany Matthews.jpg

Nice setting too!

I saw it too! It is soooo stunning. Honestly, I didn't really know about Radiants until a month ago when my boyfriend and I started researching for engagement rings. I feel like I've been seeing the radiant growing in popularity recently!

A question: Will my "I" colored look better in the white gold diamond band or in a yellow gold solitaire? I've read articles with opposite information:
1) if it's I or lower, you want to go to yellow/rose gold
2) if it's any level of G-J, you still want to go with white gold/platinum because the yellow/rose gold will accentuate the yellowness.

I'm confused in which is the correct answer unless I'm understanding it differently.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results