shape
carat
color
clarity

2 carat Radiant cut

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
@Matthews1127 - it is a bit “squatty”. I would have preferred 1.3:1. I wish the length was closer to 8.2 mm and the smaller width.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 - it is a bit “squatty”. I would have preferred 1.3:1. I wish the length was closer to 8.2 mm and the smaller width.

Is it possible to keep looking with David? My fear is you’ll always “wish the length was closer to 8.2mm and the smaller width”. This look is different than the more rectangular, elongated look of a l x w ratio between 1.3-1.5:1.
Do you think you will be satisfied with this stone, or do you need to keep looking?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Matthews1127, how are you? I've missed having your input on my designs =)2

@ClemsonPurdue I like this diamond best from the ones you've found so far but I'm wondering if you're sold on it as it's not exactly what you're looking for? Also, as you're colour sensitive, you should see it in person to see if you mind the fluorescence and if it's hazy. G is a great colour and doesn't need fluorescence to make it look whiter in theory. But as you know, theory only get you so far with radiants :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Matthews1127, how are you? I've missed having your input on my designs =)2

@ClemsonPurdue I like this diamond best from the ones you've found so far but I'm wondering if you're sold on it as it's not exactly what you're looking for? Also, as you're colour sensitive, you should see it in person to see if you mind the fluorescence and if it's hazy. G is a great colour and doesn't need fluorescence to make it look whiter in theory. But as you know, theory only get you so far with radiants :mrgreen2:

It’s good to be back, @LetLoveRule!! Life has been busy. I will stop by your treads & take a look. I’ll chime in, if I can be of any help!
I agree with the above: you need up close & personal examination, if it’s possible, to really know if this is your diamond. It’s beautiful, but...you don’t sound convinced it’s YOURS.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
Ok, here's where I am at after thinking on everything over night...

I really do like the diamond. I think it is hard to know if I "love" the diamond without seeing in person and holding it on my hand. The good thing is that it will be sent to me to confirm it's "the one" prior to starting the design of the setting. And at this point, I've seen several radiants in person so I have a pretty good idea of what I don't want. What I do want - I'm not sure I know exactly. Still conflicted on "crushed ice" versus larger, defined facets.

The pro's to this diamond:
- It's 2 carats, and I knew that there would be some concessions at my price point to get a larger size. While I'd love an F VS1 with the most beautiful cut I've ever seen, my price limit doesn't allow me to get there.
- I think the fluorescence helps the diamond appear very very white, nearly colorless from what I've seen in pictures and outside. I do think color is based a lot on surroundings and lighting, so again I need to see it in person to make sure there's no cloudiness in natural sunlight. But I'm optimistic the fluorescence helps the color and helps the price.
- Best of all... no bowtie, no dark spots, consistency across the stone, and tons of sparkle.

The concern's of this diamond:
- As I said above, I'm still conflicted on "crushed ice". I do believe that the sparkle these stones give off is beautiful and similar to a Tiffany's look. But I also love the look of @LetLoveRule's stone.
- It's an SI1 and definitely has a black crystal on the table. David has described it as "getting lost in the sparkle" and that "he can't see it", but I'm worried that if I know where it is, in some lighting conditions, it may jump out at me. Again, need to see the diamond in person to know for sure.
- I would have preferred a 1:1.30 ratio, but it seems that the better cut radiants are between 1.2 and 1.3. Above that, you start to almost always see the bowtie from what I've read. It seems that the better cut emeralds are usually between 1.3 and 1.5. So, I guess I'm saying that while I love the elongated stone, maybe this one stills gives me that look but at the more ideal ratio. The radiant that I saw in person that I loved was a 1:1.27 so pretty close to this stone. I'm still getting my goal width of 8 mm, it's just a bit wider.
- It's at the top of my budget at $15,000.

Because I'm on the fence on this stone, I've asked David to look high and low today for a couple of more options. Maybe he can find a stone with similar spread that is a 1.85 ct., a bit more elongated, and slightly more eye-clean with larger faceting? Maybe if I can see a few more options, I'll be more confident in this stone? It almost feels like this is the first wedding dress I've tried on. I really like it a lot, but will there be something I like even more? I want to make a decision by Monday, and I really need to be like 95% it's the one before David goes through the hassle of shipping to me. I going to see what David comes up with, and spend some more time looking at other videos and options online.

I do want to thank you all for recommending Diamonds by Lauren as I would have never found this vendor without this forum. David has been very patient with my indecisiveness, so thorough on the phone in helping me understand the science and technical aspects of the setting design, immediately responsive by email on every question I've had. He's obviously very knowledgeable and passionate about radiant cut stones. But most importantly, I think he's honest and transparent through the process. With a purchase this large and working online and over the phone (my parents think I'm crazy!!!), that is very reassuring to be working with someone I trust.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry i've been MIA for the last few days. Got a lot going on at work and home. Anyway, the stone video you posted. I like it but man i wish the table was smaller. That is definitely a personal preference though. i kinda feel like you need to see it before comitting to it, i'm glad you've been given than option!

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
When I did some searching this weekend, these are the other alternatives I came up with. Any of these worth pursuing in your all opinions instead of the DBL diamond? I could also check to see if David could get any of these. I think I’m struggling with the $15,000 when length is under 8 mm compared to these. But it’s hard to judge if these are all sub-par performers on cut. It’s like I need them all lined up side-by-side, then I’d be so confident in making a decision. I think these all may have done mushiness which the DBL diamond does not have. So what I need to know... does the DBL diamond have better cut which I’d rather have and would make me feel better about the smaller spread?

1) 1.81, H, VS1, 8.24x6.29, $13,807
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10794411?track=Detlink2

2) 2.01, H, VS2, 8.28x6.5, $14,666
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

3) 1.75, D, VS2, 8.21x6.25, $15,582
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

4) 1.80, F, SI1, 8.42x6.07, $14,660
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/1.80-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-4528711

5) 1.71, G, SI1, 7.83x6.06, $11,350
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.71-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-4352620

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a great budget and I can hear you on spread, but you did not choose a spready cut (i.e. oval, marquise). So, that means you will have to find a balance between the "Cs"...if spread is a priority, then consider looking at lower colors in person. Ask DBL to help you with that. To give you some perspective, you would struggle to get over 8 mm in a round diamond - -which are a good balance of spread and performance. Dropping color to H and clarity to SI1 (both work pretty well in rounds), here's the largest super-ideal I could find quickly. Slightly over budget and you still don't hit 8 mm.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3408406.htm

But, I would call Erica about this one...like ASAP if it speaks to you. This baby is 8.5x5.95 and $12,995. She's lovely to work with...just note she has a short return period. But, you can still see it in your home to make a decision.
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-90ct-radiant-cut-diamond-gia-g-si1/

In an oval, you would get something more like 9.x * 6.x. If size is your goal, maybe looking at an oval would be wiser? I don't see any online at DBL, but if you are open to them, you can let them know.

Of your posted stones, I would eliminate #4 and 5 off the top. The other three have potential. I'd send them to DBL to see if they are worth them calling them in.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
Great find @rockysalamander ! So crazy that it is same specs as DBL. Both are G, SI1. Huge difference is LxW. I kind of wanted something in between these two, like 8.2 x 6.1. But able to get good buy on consignment would be fantastic! :love:Seems scary risky to me though. And can’t tell if it has bow tie? Would I get something like that immediately appraised the day it comes in before making a decision to commit to it?

DBL: 7.98 x 6.38, 2.01 ct, $15k
LAD: 8.50 x 5.95, 1.90 ct, $13k

6FF76DF2-D9C7-47D7-82DE-D4E1AB17DC44.png

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find @rockysalamander ! So crazy that it is same specs as DBL. Both are G, SI1. Huge difference is LxW. I kind of wanted something in between these two, like 8.2 x 6.1. But able to get good buy on consignment would be fantastic! :love:Seems scary risky to me though. And can’t tell if it has bow tie? Would I get something like that immediately appraised the day it comes in before making a decision to commit to it?

DBL: 7.98 x 6.38, 2.01 ct, $15k
LAD: 8.50 x 5.95, 1.90 ct, $13k

6FF76DF2-D9C7-47D7-82DE-D4E1AB17DC44.png
An appraiser will not tell you about the quality of the cutting (or darn few will). The appraiser would simply confirm that the stone you have in your hands matches the certificate. They won't tell you much more about it. Radiants are a very specialized cut and few really know enough about them to give an opinion IMHO. Radiant are, by far, the least common diamond shape and account for something like 2% of diamond retail sales.

To decide if you like it, you would just use your eyes. In the end, it comes down to what you like, do you get giddy, can you imagine letting it go...etc. Given the increased size and lowered price, I would personally order it and see if I like it in person. Its a huge price difference if you consider the size differences.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@vintageloves , this thread might be helpful in terms of things to look for (and avoid) RE: radiants.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
@vintageloves , this thread might be helpful in terms of things to look for (and avoid) RE: radiants.

I was reading this thread when I got your alert :geek2:.

I don't really feel like I know enough about diamonds to weigh in, but I do like that Diamonds By Lauren one posted. I say go ahead and crush all the ice.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Hi @ClemsonPurdue and fellow radiant cut fans. I just wanted to share pictures of mine since there aren’t that many of colorless radiant cut diamond on PS. I hope that you won’t mind.

The ring size is 4.75. It is a 1.71 F VS1, and measures 8.37 x 6.24. I have the ring for over 10 years and it still brings me so much joy while starring at it.

IMHO, if you like this cut, look at as many of them as possible to find the ONE. Don’t give up or settle for other cuts. =)2

3a.JPG 4a.JPG 1a.JPG 2a.JPG

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
@Rad_Fan Your ring is simply stunning! Gorgeous cut and amazing spread! Can you share more about your process to find the perfect radiant stone? Where did you end up finding your diamond?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@ClemsonPurdue Personally, I really like the one David picked for you and, as I said previously, I would trust his eye but really only you can decide what makes you happy. :D

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@ClemsonPurdue Thank you. I am glad you enjoy looking at it too. You’ve got some great tips here on PS. I don’t really feel like an expert on picking the right diamonds for others. Then, I thought that I was in your shoes and could share my thoughts with you as someone who enjoys her radiant for years.

CUT: Radiant’s facets could be kind of a personal thing. The facets shown on your 1st post look slightly chunkier when comparing to the smaller sparkles of mine and others. Were you able to look at that diamond under natural light and still liked it? I would think that the DBL would eliminate the visually bad ones for you but make sure to tell him what you like. Mine reminds me of the Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Mirror Rooms at The Broad. :mrgreen2:
kusama_the_souls_of_millions_1_2.jpg

SPREAD/CARAT: Might want to pay more attention to the spread, unless wearing a 2 ct diamond has a significant meaning to you. It would be nice to get a 2 ct "like” well cut diamond without paying for the actual 2 ct price. Make sure to info your vendor that you’re looking to achieve certain measurements in additional to a well cut radiant with facets that you love. I am happy to see that you’ve started becoming more aware of the spread on recent posts.

COLOR: This is another very personal thing. Make sure to see the diamond in various light settings/environments. My F could be a “warm” F under “warm” light.

I bought my radiant after looking/comparing with multiple ones in person at the Boston Diamond District without any advanced tools like ASET. GIA rated it GOOD on both P/S. It was a pre-PS purchase. I knew nothing about buying a diamond then but do know that I am not excited with MRB and prefer rectangle shapes. I completely agreed when you said: “...I really like that the radiant have some sparkle still compared to the emerald. I like emerald but mostly in 3-4 carat size...” BINGO! Been there… didn’t see any EC within my budget that “popped” from real life perspective distance at the time, but larger EC does hold a special place in my heart tho;)2!

1 more thing, I personally would stay focused on finding the best diamond first before the setting.

If I think of anything else, I would be happy to share with you here. Can’t wait to see your radiant.

Reactions: prs

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
@Rad_Fan Thank you for sharing more of how you found the perfect stone.

As far as cut, I'm warming up to the smaller facets with lots of sparkle. My most important priority on cut is finding a diamond that has no bowtie and no dark spots. I want consistency across stone.

On color, I'm really hoping to find a G and up. And that's one of the best things about the DBL "squatty" stone :lol: is that it seems to be a really white G with the fluorescence.

On spread/carat, my goal is to maximize spread. At one point, I was hoping to stay just under the 2 carat cut off, like 1.9, because I thought that might save some $. My ideal proportions would be 8.3 x 6.2 mm, very close to the spread/proportions of your stone. The LAD consignment diamond posted above seems too rectangular at 8.5 x 5.95 mm. I'd ideally like to find something between that and the DBL stone.

Very neat to hear how you found your diamond in Boston even before you became more educated on what to look for. I think you did very well with what you picked and your ring is incredibly beautiful.

I've asked David to do another search and try to bring in a few more diamonds to compare with the current "squatty" stone. I do think that is the leading contender, but don't consider myself positive on that being the best choice until I see it side-by-side with others. For what it's worth, I showed my boyfriend some of the above diamdb pictures, and he think the shorter fatter stone appears larger and likes the look of it better than the longer skinnier LAD stone. :shifty:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Hiya @ClemsonPurdue, while my rad sparkles consistently and constantly like what you saw from my previous post, I keep it real with you :lol: by also showing pictures of occasional “window”/“leakage”/“bowtie” when it was slightly tilted under certain environments. I specifically pick the most noticeable shots for this post.
window.JPG

bowtie.JPG

I don’t know if the same conditions apply to majority of “cut-cornered rectangular modified brilliants”, aka. radiants, or just mine. You might want to consult with DBL on these because of his expertise. To me, these are charming honestly but if they do bother you, make sure to slowly/slightly tilt your chosen radiant east, west, north, and south to check if the levels are tolerable to you.

Yes, I am happy that I still adore rad:clap:…I guess you just have to trust your own eyes ultimately.

While you’re waiting for new diamonds from DBL, maybe you and your boyfriend could go see more locally? Seeing them virtually vs. in person could be quite different. Your local shops might not stock the “perfect” radiant but at least you get to see what ratio works best on your hand.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
Guys! It's looking like it's going to be the DBL "squatty" diamond. :dance: Any last thoughts/ other ideas before I give David the green light to send my way. He's gotten in a few others and he said on color and sparkle, this is the clear winner. To get to a VS2 with G color over 8mm, it'd be out of my budget. He's stated that the black crystal is lost in the sparkle in person, but I'm still a bit nervous I may see it?

Also any help you all can offer for piece of mind to be wiring a large sum of money for a diamond I've never seen to someone I've never met... this whole "online diamond purchasing" is terrifying for me!

CENTER STONE:
WEIGHT: 2.01ct
QUANTITY: 1
SHAPE: Cut-Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant
COLOR: G
CLARITY: SI1
MEASUREMENTS: 7.98 x 6.38 x 4.31 mm
TOTAL DEPTH: 67.5%
TABLE SIZE: 66.0%
POLISH: EX
SYMMETRY: EX
FLUORESCENCE: MEDIUM BLUE
GIA REPORT #: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5191027930&s=1535677918575

r8352-radiant-diamond-01.jpg r8352-radiant-diamond-02.jpg r8352-radiant-diamond-03.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys! It's looking like it's going to be the DBL "squatty" diamond. :dance: Any last thoughts/ other ideas before I give David the green light to send my way. He's gotten in a few others and he said on color and sparkle, this is the clear winner. To get to a VS2 with G color over 8mm, it'd be out of my budget. He's stated that the black crystal is lost in the sparkle in person, but I'm still a bit nervous I may see it?

Also any help you all can offer for piece of mind to be wiring a large sum of money for a diamond I've never seen to someone I've never met... this whole "online diamond purchasing" is terrifying for me!

CENTER STONE:
WEIGHT: 2.01ct
QUANTITY: 1
SHAPE: Cut-Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant
COLOR: G
CLARITY: SI1
MEASUREMENTS: 7.98 x 6.38 x 4.31 mm
TOTAL DEPTH: 67.5%
TABLE SIZE: 66.0%
POLISH: EX
SYMMETRY: EX
FLUORESCENCE: MEDIUM BLUE
GIA REPORT #: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5191027930&s=1535677918575

r8352-radiant-diamond-01.jpg r8352-radiant-diamond-02.jpg r8352-radiant-diamond-03.jpg
DBL stone is fantastic. I'd grab this one.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
I like that 1.8 James Allen stone, especially that it’s more rectangular. I emailed DBL to see if he can get it in. I’m still thinking I’ll end up at the DBL diamond though.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love David’s stone!

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
@Rad_Fan - Thank you so much for sharing! Very beautiful rings. I continue to fall more in love with the radiant cut. This weekend I was considering looking at some elongated cushions, but I do not want a vintage look. What I love about the radiant... 1) modern and edgy look, 2) unique, 3) rectangular shape elongates finger, 4) sparkle from every angle, and 5) decent surface spread.

I'm really excited to get David's stone ordered soon. Hopefully will be able to see in person this weekend or early next week. Once I have the stone finalized, it will be fun to move onto the custom setting which will be made by David.

I thought for sure I had the setting narrowed down to cathedral with graduated rounds pave set with wedding band with rounds. But I love Lea Michele's tiny halo. To halo or not to halo? I thought I was adamantly against halo because I keep thinking it distracts from center stone and can make center stone look smaller, and I think halo is trendy. Also, I love radiants in rose gold, but I think I'd be happier long term with the other jewelry I wear with platinum. All this to say thank you for the thread because it gives me some ideas. I particularly like posts # 17, 32, 43, 54, 84, 95. 84 is the look I would be after if I halo'd. Guess I need to get back to a jewelry store to check out radiants with and without halo's. Probably still leaning towards cathedral because my boyfriend has said he doesn't like halos.

Nonetheless... first things first, commit to diamond!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how exciting! i have a friend with a radiant ER in a delicate pave halo....i don't think it detracts IRL but it's a different kind of sparkle than the center stone. i always worry about losing tiny stones so whether or not to halo comes down to practicality for me at least. i hope you enjoy trying on different styles before you make your decision!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@ClemsonPurdue! I think this Alison P’s setting is what you are after? The very nice halo might add more finger coverage. Nice profile on #55. Might costs more tho.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-engagement-ring.65258/page-2

I remember you said that you might like more streamlined design... batana’s simply solitaire looks very elegant and might cost less, which allows you to buy a bigger radiant;)2?

If you plan to wear band(s) with your e-ring, you could buy more blinky bands later.:mrgreen2:

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
When I did some searching this weekend, these are the other alternatives I came up with. Any of these worth pursuing in your all opinions instead of the DBL diamond? I could also check to see if David could get any of these. I think I’m struggling with the $15,000 when length is under 8 mm compared to these. But it’s hard to judge if these are all sub-par performers on cut. It’s like I need them all lined up side-by-side, then I’d be so confident in making a decision. I think these all may have done mushiness which the DBL diamond does not have. So what I need to know... does the DBL diamond have better cut which I’d rather have and would make me feel better about the smaller spread?

1) 1.81, H, VS1, 8.24x6.29, $13,807
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD10794411?track=Detlink2

2) 2.01, H, VS2, 8.28x6.5, $14,666

3) 1.75, D, VS2, 8.21x6.25, $15,582

4) 1.80, F, SI1, 8.42x6.07, $14,660
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/1.80-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-4528711

5) 1.71, G, SI1, 7.83x6.06, $11,350
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.71-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-4352620
@rockysalamander - When I posted the above options, you had said to eliminate 4 and 5... why was that? Just wondering because 4 was the option that another recommended, and DBL can get that stone in. But I don't want to ask him to if there is a reason why it should be eliminated?

Another question... is it worth me just flying to New York to try to look at options in person versus going off video of tweezer shots and video? Plus the idea of wiring money without seeing the stone in person or meeting the vendor has my boyfriend super concerned.

I do really love the way the DBL diamond sparkles in video. Just very difficult to commit to a diamond without seeing in person. I swear purchasing a house/vehicle is easier!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results