shape
carat
color
clarity

2 carat Radiant cut

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been busy with family but wanted to stop by and respond. I'm happy to look some more, but I really think you might want to take your time. I get the feeling that you like a lot of things and want a big stone -- so are waffling on radiant vs. emerald cut. The only thing these share is shape...light return and look are totally different. For myself, when I waffle, I know I need to slow down and get more data to make the two options that appear similar to be more different.

My feeling is that you would be wise to actually go see some of each. DBL is located in New York City. I wonder if DBL could call in a few radiants and ECs that are within your specs and for you to actually visit them and look. I think when you find the right stone, you will know. There are many vendors, but it has been my personal experience that DBL is superb at finding elongate fancy cuts at lower clarity and color that can offer you a huge cost saving. With a little organization, you could also visit Old World Diamonds, who are also in NY, if they have any ECs in your specs.

I would not, personally, discount a vintage EC (there really are not vintage radiants). They offer a different light performance that can be quite lovely. I don't think they read as "antique" and would allow for a very contemporary setting.

Also, think about your budget. Maybe be open to most of your budget going to the stone, for now. If you right stone comes along, you can always buy the stone and place it into a simple setting. Then, get your dream setting in a year or so.

Short story...don't rush. Take your time to see, in person, both shapes from a vendor with a good eye.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

GORGEOUS! :love::love::love: i love the statement it makes and it is completely unique. For a wedding band, i'd do something like this CVB french cut band. sans miligrain detail

ITA with @rockysalamander i really think you should try on some more rings. Emerald cut particularly. like i said earlier, i really think an emerald cut checks a lot of your boxes. I'd def get IDJ on the lookout for a stone, they are really great at finding beautiful stones. IIRC, @PintoBean has a gorgeous emerald cut stone from IDJ, if you do a little digging, i'm sure you could find it on SMTB.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Which face up larger? Emerald or radiant? What would be the advantage of one over the other?
I've only just started looking at radiant cut diamonds and my sample size is very small, but it seems to me that radiants face up about 10% bigger than emerald cuts. They also face up about 10% bigger than MRBs!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither cut is really known for a high face-up, as they require more depth to get some performance. Marquise, Oval and Pear really steal the face-up show.

The legend orders these from highest to lowest face-up size in area.

upload_2018-8-13_12-23-40.png

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither cut is really known for a high face-up, as they require more depth to get some performance. Marquise, Oval and Pear really steal the face-up show.

The legend orders these from highest to lowest face-up size in area.

upload_2018-8-13_12-23-40.png

Notice the face up size range of EC’s & radiants is nearly identical.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The French cut sides like on that DK setting will eat substantially into your budget.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
@scarsmum and @Matthews1127 - Wow! 2.21 carats at a decent price. That does appear to be a great find and may be a real contender! Although it may already be sold, because when I click on it, it isn't popping up. It's okay though, because I don't think I'm quite ready to commit just yet. @rockysalamander - You have a lot of really great points about taking my time and making sure I figure out exactly which look I am going for. I think from the start of this process to now, I have figured a lot of things out. And it crazy to remember what I was looking at in the beginning to what I'm drawn to now. I am pretty set on the rectangular shape of radiant or emerald and the cathedral band. I am going to a local jeweler tomorrow to look at radiant and emerald side-by-side around the 2 carat size. Hopefully that will help me determine which direction I want to go. I also read something about criss cross emeralds, maybe that could be a good middle ground between the two? I think there is just something about that DK Instagram ring that I love, and I'm half tempted to see if I can get exactly that ring because I don't think there is anything I would change on it. Honestly, I want my dream ring right out of the gate. If I have to increase my budget to do that, I'll just have to do that. @farrahlyn - I took me awhile to come around, but what I'm looking at now is very similar to what you all recommended from the get-go. You had suggested emerald cut, and the first setting someone posted had the French cut side stones. Once I figure out emerald cut or radiant cut tomorrow, then I can figure out vendor. My short list is IDJ, DiamondsbyLauren, James Allen as far as where I look. Maybe someone else will be able to find an awesome stone like the one @scarsmum found. I do think I don't want crushed ice look on radiant for sure. If I go radiant, I want defined facets like @LetLoveRule ring. @rockysalamander - Thank you so much for providing that face-up chart as I've never seen that before. I really think I'll know radiant versus emerald when I see them side-by-side tomorrow. I still want the look of the DK Instagram ring. It's just a matter of emerald with frenchies or radiant with pave rounds. @ringo865 - Are French cut side stones more than rounds?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@scarsmum and @Matthews1127 - Wow! 2.21 carats at a decent price. That does appear to be a great find and may be a real contender! Although it may already be sold, because when I click on it, it isn't popping up. It's okay though, because I don't think I'm quite ready to commit just yet. @rockysalamander - You have a lot of really great points about taking my time and making sure I figure out exactly which look I am going for. I think from the start of this process to now, I have figured a lot of things out. And it crazy to remember what I was looking at in the beginning to what I'm drawn to now. I am pretty set on the rectangular shape of radiant or emerald and the cathedral band. I am going to a local jeweler tomorrow to look at radiant and emerald side-by-side around the 2 carat size. Hopefully that will help me determine which direction I want to go. I also read something about criss cross emeralds, maybe that could be a good middle ground between the two? I think there is just something about that DK Instagram ring that I love, and I'm half tempted to see if I can get exactly that ring because I don't think there is anything I would change on it. Honestly, I want my dream ring right out of the gate. If I have to increase my budget to do that, I'll just have to do that. @farrahlyn - I took me awhile to come around, but what I'm looking at now is very similar to what you all recommended from the get-go. You had suggested emerald cut, and the first setting someone posted had the French cut side stones. Once I figure out emerald cut or radiant cut tomorrow, then I can figure out vendor. My short list is IDJ, DiamondsbyLauren, James Allen as far as where I look. Maybe someone else will be able to find an awesome stone like the one @scarsmum found. I do think I don't want crushed ice look on radiant for sure. If I go radiant, I want defined facets like @LetLoveRule ring. @rockysalamander - Thank you so much for providing that face-up chart as I've never seen that before. I really think I'll know radiant versus emerald when I see them side-by-side tomorrow. I still want the look of the DK Instagram ring. It's just a matter of emerald with frenchies or radiant with pave rounds. @ringo865 - Are French cut side stones more than rounds?

I definitely agree with @rockysalamander; you should be patient, and take your time with this decision. You have to LOVE what you see on your finger, every day.
This is not something to jump into, without certainty. I have been an EC girl since my mid-late 20’s. When DH & started talking marriage, I was 40. I KNEW what I wanted & I made it very clear: “All diamonds are beautiful, but if you want a ‘yes’ outta me, it’s GOTTA be an Emerald Cut Diamond! I don’t care what you set it in, as long as it fits on my finger!” Carat weight wasn’t really a big concern, either. I just wanted an Emerald Cut stone.
You should be 100% positive about your diamond, as well. No regrets & no envy. ;)2

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are French cut side stones more than rounds?
Yes. French cuts are much more expensive that rounds. You could reach out to DK and ask for the price of the setting for a stone about the size you are considering...with the same proportions as the one from his instagram. That will give you a solid data point on price.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
@Matthews1127 - that’s good advice to make sure I’m patient and really know what I want before jumping into it. I’m really hoping that when I go to the jeweler tomorrow, I’ll have some clarity on if I prefer radiant or emerald. He’s bringing in some 2 carats of both cuts for me to look at in person. Should I feel guilty that he’s doing that when I still think I’m going to buy online???

@rockysalamander - I just emailed DK to ask for size of Center stone in picture, cost of setting, and carat weight of French cut side stones. We’ll see what he says. If the setting is $5,000 and I can find a beautiful 2 carat emerald for $12,000, I’d be okay with that. Trouble is, that still doesn’t include wedding band. I also need to figure out if I should go platinum or 14k white gold.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 - that’s good advice to make sure I’m patient and really know what I want before jumping into it. I’m really hoping that when I go to the jeweler tomorrow, I’ll have some clarity on if I prefer radiant or emerald. He’s bringing in some 2 carats of both cuts for me to look at in person. Should I feel guilty that he’s doing that when I still think I’m going to buy online???

@rockysalamander - I just emailed DK to ask for size of Center stone in picture, cost of setting, and carat weight of French cut side stones. We’ll see what he says. If the setting is $5,000 and I can find a beautiful 2 carat emerald for $12,000, I’d be okay with that. Trouble is, that still doesn’t include wedding band. I also need to figure out if I should go platinum or 14k white gold.

No. You shouldn’t feel guilty. You need to know which of these cuts speaks to your soul; which matches your personality & compliments who you are, and your style. The best way to do that is in person.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
@rockysalamander - I love the French cuts! Love how you can see the facets and individual flashes of light as opposed to a pool of glitter like in the round side stones. I read a lot about French cuts today and saw references to them being an early 1900 cut and being antique. I don’t want vintage. Do you think that without the miligrain, the emerald cut with frenchies can read contemporary, or does that lend itself to a vintage look? To me, the DK Instagram ring seemed modern and offered that wow and unique look, while still being classic, but maybe not...?

Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 radiants my jeweler was bringing in for me to look at sold. He just has 2 emerald and 1 radiant in right now and is going to try to get a couple more radiant. Hopefully I can go see all these stones by end of this week. It’s hard because I want to keep moving forward but I’m in limbo til I see emerald and radiant side-by-side and decide which way to go. Between the two cuts, is one a better deal or easier to find? I also emailed and called DK to get details on that setting. Specifically size of stone in that ring and estimated cost. But I guess they’re out of the office, maybe in Bangkok based on their Instagram page, for a couple weeks. I also will be driving through Chicago on Aug 24th, so I thought I could try to go to IDJ in person. But that means moving on this all pretty quick.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
@Rockdiamond - see thread above. We talked tonight.

As an update to others... my radiants still aren’t in at local jeweler so I continue to wait to determine 100% that I want radiant cut. They are now saying they will be in on Monday. I am leaning toward radiant after learning how expensive French cut side stones are. And I don’t think I want emerald with round side.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t want vintage. Do you think that without the miligrain, the emerald cut with frenchies can read contemporary, or does that lend itself to a vintage look? To me, the DK Instagram ring seemed modern and offered that wow and unique look, while still being classic, but maybe not...?

I don't see french cuts as looking vintage. The kind of setting you look at will be clean and modern. I think it will look fantastic!

I want to keep moving forward but I’m in limbo til I see emerald and radiant side-by-side and decide which way to go. Between the two cuts, is one a better deal or easier to find?
Well-cut radiants are very hard to find on the market, but so can ECs be hard to find. They both take time and patience. But, here on PS I'd say we have a lot more prosumers that know ECs than Radiants. For whaterver reaseon, radiants seem feast or famine. You either find 3 great ones or none. ECS seem to have a more constant stream. But, I'm not a vendor and their access to these cuts may differ from what we see. DBL is certainly amazing at find incredible radiants.

I also will be driving through Chicago on Aug 24th, so I thought I could try to go to IDJ in person.
IDJ and DBL are located in New York City. Ivy Rose Vintage (MyDiamondZone) is in Chicago. Ivy Rose has old cuts, but I've never seen them sell a radiant.

Just a question on color, the ECs shown in the VC ring is high color. I know this style/shape/and shape are wrong...but how does the diamond color strike you? {not min, so I won't take offence!}

upload_2018-8-17_20-8-5.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
Dimensions are awesome on this one! I really like the 2.02. But a bit nervous about the I color. How do I put on hold?

Also, what about the strong flourescence?

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
I’m confirm confused @rockysalamander. Are you talking about the color of the ring you posted? The center stones are yellow and the halo cuts are white?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m confirm confused @rockysalamander. Are you talking about the color of the ring you posted? The center stones are yellow and the halo cuts are white?
Yes. I was just wondering how you feel about the very colored center rose cuts. I know that you don't want rose cuts, but I was curious about your color tolerance. Sounds like a nope to visible tint...?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dimensions are awesome on this one! I really like the 2.02. But a bit nervous about the I color. How do I put on hold?

Also, what about the strong flourescence?
Constant the online JA helper and ask that they put them on hold and request an ASET. My feeling is that both are worth requesting, but its your call. If the ASET looks good and the price works, my suggestion will be to buy the stone and have them mail it to you. See it in your own life and house (carefully!). Then, if you like it, you get a huge stone in budget and can send to DK or anyone you like for setting. JA has a 30-day return policy.

On the flour, it worth asking them to review for any impact on the transparency. But in strong UV, that flour will lift the color. Flour impacting the stone is rare, but worth asking.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes. My diamond is I with strong Fluor and I can tell you from my experience that it could only be described as thoroughly white.

Even from the side.

It’s a really nice diamond you have there in that 2.02 and I am not a radiant fan.

ClemsonPurdue

Rough_Rock
50621506-F694-4E76-82A9-C199A81B3CA2.jpeg Oh my avatar pic is one that deliberately shows some environmental color, I thought it was pretty, but here is a recent everyday photo
I changed up my search criteria and found these. If your ready to move forward, these would be worth putting on hold and requesting and ASET. They are I color but meets your brief in every other way.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/2.16-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-2358706
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/2.02-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-5170019
I love the 2.02. It is on hold. Seems to be be bright and consistent across stone. Only concern is it seems a bit yellow, even more so than the I 2.16. And I’m not sure the impact with strong fluorescent. Does that make white in radiant just like in round?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The faceting pattern of a radiant is very different from an EC. Which do you like better? It's not clear to me that you know for sure. I think you need to make that decision first before you choose a stone. You seem to also like step cuts. I would stop looking at stones until you have seen both ECs and radiants IRL. And be aware that well cut ECs are very hard to find, as are radiants that don't look like crushed ice. You would want to compare apples to apples. If your jeweler has a well cut radiant and a badly cut EC, of course you would eliminate the EC. But that does not mean you would not choose a well cut EC over a well cut radiant. I would first decide the kind of sparkle you want for your stone before searching for the specific stone. Good luck to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results