crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
Morning mail came in through JA!

1.53 L VVS1
3356867.jpg

1.4 K VVS2
3476372.jpg

Between these two the 1.4 definitely looks better to be. The 1.53 looks like it would be between good and very good, but leaning towards the good. But to be honest, I like the color of the 1.53 quite a bit so conundrums.

1.413 K VS1 from WF
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 10.19.41 AM.png

This is the one that Rockysalamander found that (to me) has the best idealscope but would definitely push my budget a little.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, the IS of the 1.53 isn't all that bad in my opinion. The symmetry is excellent, but yes, there is leakage under the table due to the high crown. There will be a trade-off with this diamond. Will likely exhibit excellent fire in diffuse lighting, but light return/brilliance will be slightly less than a Super Ideal. Others with more experience judging IS images can chime in regarding the 1.53.

I can't tell you which to choose, but I would ask WhiteFlash to pull the 1.41 K and take some pictures in different lighting environments so you can get an idea of the color. While the Whiteflash pictures/videos in spotlighting that they put on the website are beautiful, they make it rather difficult to tell what the stone will look like under normal lighting conditions. K is a rather wide range (as all of the color ranges below J are), and I would honestly rather have the brownish 1.53 L than a yellowish diamond that is on the lower end of the K spectrum, especially if you're going with rose gold for the setting.

Speaking of the setting, have you decided whether you're going to go with rose gold or yellow gold? You mentioned in your first post that you were considering both colors. If rose gold, I would still choose the 1.53, as brown tinted diamonds look great in rose gold. If yellow gold, then I would consider the WF 1.41 K. But you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. :mrgreen:

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi TreeScientist, thanks for your response!

I'm going with a rose gold setting for sure. When we went to Lee Michaels a few weeks ago just to try on a few styles, she was really leaning towards the rose gold. She felt that it looked better with her skin tone. She felt yellow gold was too traditional, but rose gold was more her.

I'm actually really leaning towards the 1.53ct because I think she would like the size quite a bit, and the price at 6100 seems like a REALLY good deal. (At least based on what everyone else said.) And, the more I look at the video on the JA site of the diamond, the more the color grows on me as well.

I guess I'm just waiting to make sure no one sees any glaring issues on it before I pull the trigger on it. I know she will love whatever diamond I pick, I just want her to have the best that I can give her.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t see any glaring issues. I do believe the IS image is showing what my eyes were seeing with the video. I just don’t see as many flashes under the table as I do with some of the others. Having said that, the differences are subltle, and I completely understand favoring a larger size or preferred color over cut. Most folks here won’t recommend sacrificing cut for other variables, but you seem well educated on the differences and have weighed the pros and cons. The 1.53 is certainly still a well cut diamond and will be lovely if you choose to go with it.

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think I'll go ahead and go for the 1.53 then!

To be quite honest, even when you first mentioned less flashes under the table, I couldn't notice between that video and some of the other videos I looked at. I don't think it's something that neither she nor I will notice in person.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A trick posted by a trade member (or experienced posted...can't recall) for the IS is to use the center to gauge the intensity of light being shone on the stone. So, anything that is the same or less bright than the center white is likely driven by the light intensity. So, the 1.53 was taken with much brighter light. Which tends to make stones look worse than they are. With that in mind, the IS from the 1.53L and 1.4K are pretty similar but the 1.53 does seem to have more variation in the pavilion angles than the 1.40K. So, in pure cut and light-return, I'd rate them as WF ACA, 1.4K, 1.53L. But, in beauty, well, that is where it gets tricky.

I love high crowns and the visual beauty of the 1.53 (and size), but the I's cut is better. In color, they are brown body color (1.53) vs. yellow (1.40). While I personally prefer the 1.53 and I would likely buy it to see it in person, I think with your girl's descriptions as "ivory" - the 1.40K may be a better match (...I am dying as I write this as I adore that 1.53L...beauty is so personal).

My advise...show both videos to your girl. Maybe let her choose. If you don't want her to see the price, just fiddle with the screen and magnification until they are side by side on one monitor you just see them spinning.

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the response rockysalamander!

I'll go ahead and show her both, and see which one she prefers, but I have a feeling she'll end up leaning towards the 1.53 ct. She really likes large shiny things. :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh whew! I wait on baited breath....

What setting did you decide on (or can I put in another vote for the petite flower :whistle:)?

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
Funny story, I'm reached out to JA to see if they can adjust the petite flower setting to add a knife edge. So we'll see what they say. If they can't, I plan to go with just the regular petite flower then.

I'll probably show her the diamond videos tomorrow and see what she says. But I get the feeling, it'll be the 1.53 ct. :geek2:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad you're going to go the petite flower setting! That is one of my favorites among the low, crown-type settings on JA. I didn't want to say anything to influence your decision, but I agree that the intricate crown setting has a rather odd looking basket. I think you're girlfriend will like the petite flower much more even if you can't get the knife-edge with it. At 1.8mm width for the shank, it will still look very dainty.

And the 1.53 would still be my choice, but again, your girlfriend will know best what she'll like. This is definitely one of the benefits of choosing together! But do remind her that the WF diamond will not look like it does in the videos unless you're standing in an other-wise pitch black room with an intense spot-light shown directly on the diamond... :mrgreen:

Also, @rockysalamander is correct regarding the IS images. WhiteFlash has invested in an excellent imaging set-up to get their IS images looking damn-near perfect each time. There's a lot more variability in the JA IS images because there's variation in the light intensity with each photo. Some of the JA IS images are a very deep, vidid red like the WF images, whereas some are paler red. So, as said above, the difference between the JA and WF stones is likely not AS MUCH as it appears.

Take this diamond from the WF Premium Select line as an example:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3784282.htm

It also has a 36.5/40.6 CA/PA combo with excellent symmetry (like the 1.53 in question), but exhibits slight leakage under the table as is expected with such a CA/PA combo. However, the WF IS image is more saturated simply because of their imaging tech. I imagine that the IS for the 1.53 would look very similar to this WF one if the image was taken in WF's studio.

TLDR: The 1.53 is perfectly fine. No, it would not make it into WF's A Cut Above line, but it would likely make the cut for their Premium Select line.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!! I'm so excited about the 1.53... and yes, the color (brown undertone) will be super complimentary to rose gold. EEEKK! I can't wait to see this ring!

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
HI EVERYONE.

I had a busy day today. Finally got around to showing her the diamonds I was looking at. Didn't show her carats, color, or anything like that. Just the videos of the different diamonds turning, and she still liked the 1.53 ct the best so we'll be going for that one. I meant the place the order today, but my bank messed up so now I have to wait until tomorrow. Luckily, JA was kind enough to extend the hold by another 30 hours.

She's excited now because everything is starting to feel more real for her. And, she admitted she'll be dying on the inside waiting for the ring to arrive and for me to do the actual proposal.

Whenever I have the actual ring and setting, I will be sure to share photos of it with you guys. It's the least I can do after you helped me so much with mulling over my decision. :geek2:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So excited to see the final result of this diamond set in rose gold. :) Congrats on making the final decision (I know how much of a relief that is) and enjoy planning the proposal!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl after my own heart...:mrgreen2:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay. Congrats!! Yes please do come back with pics. How very exciting!!

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
Finally got around to placing the order for the diamond. Including JA advantage discount and wire discount, I paid a grand spanking total of 6008 just for the gem. (I'm pretty proud that I found out about the JA advantage discount).

JA did reach out to me and say they were unable to combine the petite flower setting with a knife edge, so now I'm just waiting to see if they can at least set it on the normal petite flower setting for me.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous!! Congratulations!

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone!

I plan to ask the question as soon as school calms down. My parents were also very excited to see what ring I got her. :lol-2:

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Soooo pretty! Congratulations! Please come back with hand shots!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We need more pictures !!!! How is the color ? Do you love that L???

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, this is so beautiful!! Love the L stone and the rose gold.... swoon! :love::love::love:

We definitely need more pictures - and handshots after the proposal.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful in the rose gold setting! Better than I even imagined (and I had high expectations for this particular diamond :) ).

Enjoy your (her) ring and the coming proposal!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow beautiful stone and ring!!! The L looks great with the rose gold!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh!! Looks great! Don't forget to come back with handshots!! ;-)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! Congratulations!!!

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
11B7F061-8667-4B0E-90AC-09DFC9BA28EB.jpeg

Hi everyone!

I’m the future mrs. crybaby, and he finally proposed last night. There was lots of crying on my end.

I love the ring so much and I appreciate everyone for helping him! I’m so sad to say that when I saw the ring I noticed the prongs were misaligned. So, I will wait to post a share the bling until it is fixed. I actually don’t want to send it off because it’s so beautiful and what it symbolizes. :oops2: But I also would cry if I lost the diamond he picked.

But I do have a video to share of the sparkles, and I’ll do that once he shows me how to share the videos.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS!!

crybaby

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I'm very thankful that everyone took the time to help my fiancé (I finally get to write that now :D) pick out this ring.

The video of sparkle, it's much more sparkly in real life. I took it at a shop when we went to get some bubble tea.

IMG_0973.JPG

I love it. This was taken on a cloudy day. And you can slightly see that the top and bottom prongs are asymmetrical, and I plan to get that fixed asap! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results