carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Asscher cut solitaire?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 You are serious !

Well, the 2.8 carat is really a very nice buy - would expect a substantial premium for passing the 3 ct mark.

If you are not in a hurry ...

[Noticed your comment on the Q-R EC - how about U-V 4cts 68/60, squared. The world is not running out of Asschers yet.]

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IGI is also not GIA.

The reports are just a matter of price, after all. It is not unheard of to ask for a fresh GIA report while holding first dibs.
Perhaps requesting GIA Cert & ASET would put the question of possible leakage to rest?
It's difficult to tell from photos if there is any true leakage, or poor light return. Having an ASET would help you make that determination.
Perhaps a GIA Cert would shed some light on some questions of true certification & grading of the diamond, as well.
It wouldn't hurt...for peace of mind.
I still think she's a beautiful stone, from the photos, and the existing Cert.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, the 2.8 carat is really a very nice buy - would expect a substantial premium for passing the 3 ct mark.

Valeria, don't I know it!! GAH!!! :-o
Would be better to go with a 2.94ct...lol!!!
She's a very beautiful diamond, though. I won't lie...if I had that kind of money, right now, I'd be investigating! :lol:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am sorry to be a dissenter, but I am not sure I love that asscher from these pics. I feel like I see a fair amount of leakage in the center, and I prefer tables to be under 65 and closer to 60. Please don't rush to buy a diamond.

I do not disagree with this.

There could be better. I am asuming that it is a great buy, if not a new world standard for square step cuts [which - is not uncommon around here ].

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

[Noticed your comment on the Q-R EC - how about U-V 4cts 68/60, squared. The world is not running out of Asschers yet.]
Holy Crap, Valeria!! That diamond's 4.5cts...lol!! Talk about "Premium Price"!!! WOW! Even at a U-V color, she faces up quite light! Must be due to the Faint Fluerescence! My mouth is watering...lol!! :-o

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scarsmum:
DS2006 presents a valid point. I trust her judgment; she's very knowledgeable, and I respect her points of view. She is also very resourceful & may be able to get you a great deal! I still love the Asscher you found...but keeping other options open isn't a bad idea. As Valeria stated: "it's not uncommon around here" to find good step cuts. DS has "connections". ;-)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even at a U-V color, she faces up quite light

It is Light Yellow. Would not expect to see much of anything from the 'Faint F.' - however, the light colour would change appearance between various light environments. I am rather a fan of these grades - and light yellow in all gem materials ... the color of quiet summer ,-) - to me.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is Light Yellow. Would not expect to see much of anything from the 'Faint F.' - however, the light colour would change appearance between various light environments. I am rather a fan of these grades - and light yellow in all gem materials ... the color of quiet summer ,-) - to me.
I'm not a fan of yellow gold. In what metal setting would you use to set her?
I'm not a halo person, and I always prefer open galleries, so the only option would be as a solitaire or with tapered, horizontal baguettes on the sides. I guess white gold or platinum would be the only option, with F colored side stones to contrast the yellow Center...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops for thread hijack !

I'm not a fan of yellow gold.

I'd vote for contrasting, colourless sides.
... there is a nice example of even closer L & F colour mis-match in the house - WWW - and the shocking conjuncture of shapes makes the L- F pairing work for me - I am very surprised by this ring ! Of course, the large square has more colour, so the contrast would work better.

I am not sure what shape of sides I would go for: 'love too many ...
... becouse of the mentioned ring, I am thinking of contrasting cut styles, so ... perhaps a pair of accent-sized French ? There are many interesting rings with sides aroudn there - it is a thing of that shop.

Last edited:

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all. The thing is, this ring will be a remote buy, and it's second hand....it's quite the bargain I believe, I can say that. So, despite there being better stones without doubt I kind of wanted to know that this stone was "good enough". BTW it's not my hand!! The seller has a lovely hand though, haha. I am going to buy this one, honestly I just have a good feeling about the seller, I love the ring and it's in budget. I'll post pics when I get it in hand.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed !

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Good enough" is a standard only you can decide on ... to me, "good enough" implies a trade-off between price and stone characteristics.

I agree with DS and others that the stone does show a fair amount of leakage in the center - i.e., if you look at the stone mounted in the ring you can see the skin color of the finger through the stone itself.

From this thread it seems you are prioritizing price/face-up size/carat weight/apparent color - certainly valid preferences - but keep in mind if the stone has leakage it will not show to advantage and you may end up looking at your finger through the stone and wondering why the step-cut isn't performing the way well-cut step-cuts perform. If shipping/returns are an issue, you probably want to be extra-certain you can live with the stone.

For me, while price is a major consideration, cut/performance is my number one priority regardless of stone shape/cut. The stones with the best cut/performance will look larger and be more noticeable due to their liveliness as compared to a stone which may face-up larger but not be cut as well.

As long as you make your choice knowing what you are buying and prioritizing and giving up, and have a good sense of comparative stones/pricing, you are in good stead.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marymm makes very valid points. I agree with DS & Marymm, when shopping for a brand new, newly cut diamond. However, for a remote, second hand sale, I believe she's a "good stone". I don't know what "sale price" is...so, I don't know if it's "worth the money" (there are some unknown variables, here), but if this is a second hand sale, this very well may be an older stone that was cut long before modifications were made to step-cuts, which would account for the "leakage" at the center. I'm curious to know the time in which she originated. If there is any way to know, Scarsmum, please do tell!! I can't imagine this diamond doesn't have a story. I only hope the seller has knowledge of it!
Honestly, I'm glad you have decided to give her a new home. She is lovely; even chunky step cuts have personality. She may not have much scintillation, and her center may be dark compared to other step-cut diamonds (who knows?), but she'll have plenty of flash! She has clean lines, and beautiful symmetry. I actually like being able to see the flesh through the center...she looks amazingly clear...leakage or not. I remain positive about this stone because of how clean & sleek she is. When I look at her, I think of Princess Grace, and Marilyn Monroe!
What matters most is that Scarsmum is satisfied with her performance in variations of light.
Please share more about her, and photos, my dear!!! I'm anxious to learn more! ;-)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to hear your thoughts upon seeing it in person!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you love it, scarsmum! Please come back with pics after you get it!

WHOA!!!! My goodness, that IS a nice one and what a GREAT price! I'd halo that baby in white pave and let it show it's beautiful light yellow!:love: I have recently bought a couple of light yellow stones, and I really think they are beautiful colors!

Scarsmum:
DS2006 presents a valid point. I trust her judgment; she's very knowledgeable, and I respect her points of view. She is also very resourceful & may be able to get you a great deal! I still love the Asscher you found...but keeping other options open isn't a bad idea. As Valeria stated: "it's not uncommon around here" to find good step cuts. DS has "connections". ;-)

Aww, thank you, Matthews! That means a lot to me!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you love it, scarsmum! Please come back with pics after you get it!

WHOA!!!! My goodness, that IS a nice one and what a GREAT price! I'd halo that baby in white pave and let it show it's beautiful light yellow!:love: I have recently bought a couple of light yellow stones, and I really think they are beautiful colors!

Aww, thank you, Matthews! That means a lot to me!
I meant every word!! :D

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Good enough" is a standard only you can decide on

True that !

Perhaps I should explain why I gave this one the benfit of the doubt: it is the third picture - in which, a full - culet to girdle - array of steps is in evidence, at a slight tilt. The first two pictures are rough - literally. However, there is glare off the crown factes in them, which tells of the camera distorting contrast - likely enough to put a dark well in the middle of the diamond. Otherwise, I could not explain how all three images could be of the same object: the first two suggest an overly steep pavilion, the third a relatively 'shallow' one - in line with the EGL numbers.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the seller have a good returns policy if you do not like the stone once it's arrived?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a chance to return it before completing the money transfer. But she's a private seller.
Do you have that in writing? lol

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The runt of the litter? Hmm I hope she does a bit better than that.

That litter looks like the World Cup semi-finals to me.

Perhaps @Rhino has a similar demonstration including a - bona fide recut candidate or two, for good measure. [not sure what is within rules]

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Slightly overly steep and goes down to far p2 facets.
Just over edge from being great.
ASET would have a lot of green in the center.
Which is what is causing the split personality in the pictures.
Likely will look better in person than the pics imply in the center.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Slightly overly steep and goes down to far p2 facets.
Just over edge from being great.
ASET would have a lot of green in the center.
Which is what is causing the split personality in the pictures.
Likely will look better in person than the pics imply in the center.
Thanks for a great analysis!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results