shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Asscher cut solitaire?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi there, I'm new here but I've been reading and learning for a while. I've been looking for a replacement E ring and I have the chance to buy this one. Could I get any opinions on it? Specs are 2.82 carat, H-I color, VS2. The cut looks pretty good to me also, and it measures about 7.8 square (it's fairly deep). All opinions and thoughts welcome. ring2.JPG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, Scarsmum!
Would you happen to have the dimensions of the diamond? The closer to 1.00:1 l x w ratio, the better! Is there any fluerescence? Slight to none will give the stone more "value", but if you prefer fleurescence, it's more a matter of preference. Symmetry is essential for that stone. VG-EX should be what you're looking for in any step-cut diamond. The "windmills" in the center do appear to meet in the center, which indicates it's an Asscher, and not a "Square Emerald".
Do you have anymore details to share? It looks magnificent! The size/weight, color & clarity are all wonderful! As long as all of the other details fit her, like they should, I'd grab her up!!! :D
CRM

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look up 'Octavia' around here - it is an absurdly bright Asscher.

The pictures are anything but a hard sell.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello, Scarsmum!
Would you happen to have the dimensions of the diamond? The closer to 1.00:1 l x w ratio, the better! Is there any fluerescence? Slight to none will give the stone more "value", but if you prefer fleurescence, it's more a matter of preference. Symmetry is essential for that stone. VG-EX should be what you're looking for in any step-cut diamond. The "windmills" in the center do appear to meet in the center, which indicates it's an Asscher, and not a "Square Emerald".
Do you have anymore details to share? It looks magnificent! The size/weight, color & clarity are all wonderful! As long as all of the other details fit her, like they should, I'd grab her up!!! :D
CRM
Thank you
The ring has the following report -
color - H
clarity - VS1
7.84 by 7.75 (1.02 ratio)
no fluorescence
total depth - 67.4%
table - 66%
crown height - 13%
pavilion depth - 51%
girdle - medium
polish and symmetry - excellent

The problem is that the report if EGL and everything I have read says to basically throw it away! So I'm a bit concerned about that. It is beautiful though, what is your opinion on the light return?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the pictures show the best it looks, my expectations are ...

Look up 'Octavia' around here - it is an absurdly bright Asscher.
Octavia's are Asschers AMPED!! It's like Asschers on Qualudes, or Crack!! They are AMAZE-BALLS!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have seen some Octavia's and I see what you mean, but I do really prefer the more "square emerald" shape, my previous ring is a princess cut and I like that cut but just really like the step-cut because it reminds me of looking at a drop of water.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you
The ring has the following report -
color - H
clarity - VS1
7.84 by 7.75 (1.02 ratio)
no fluorescence
total depth - 67.4%
table - 66%
crown height - 13%
pavilion depth - 51%
girdle - medium
polish and symmetry - excellent

The problem is that the report if EGL and everything I have read says to basically throw it away! So I'm a bit concerned about that. It is beautiful though, what is your opinion on the light return?
Your Depth of 67.4% is still good. My EC has a depth of 69.2%, and it still falls in the "good" category. My EC is extremely sparkly...she has a LOT of personality. Light return is glorious! With those specs, your Asscher should have equal to BETTER light return....

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh and BTW the reason I put H-I and VS2 in the original post was my compensating for the EGL report!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen some Octavia's and I see what you mean, but I do really prefer the more "square emerald" shape, my previous ring is a princess cut and I like that cut but just really like the step-cut because it reminds me of looking at a drop of water.
You & I will be fast friends! My EC is named "Uisce"...Irish Gaelic for "Water".
If you are old-school, and appreciate the flashes of light & beautiful reflective properties of the step cut diamond, like I am, the Octavia will never fulfill your soul. I LOVE Octavias, and intend to own one, someday...but not before I fulfill my love for the traditional, Royal Asschers & Emerald Cuts. I am in the beginning stages of creating my own Royal Asscher Anniversary Band to compliment my existing set.
I love the Asscher on your hand. She meets high quality expectations, in spite of what some may say. There is no such thing as the "perfect natural diamond". They don't exist...they are all flawed in one way or another...because they are "Natural". She is quite the beauty! If she meets your budget, and your heart loves her, give her a home!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and BTW the reason I put H-I and VS2 in the original post was my compensating for the EGL report!
She still stands up very white! The slight color is not noticeable, and she looks amazing!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do really prefer the more "square emerald" shape, my previous ring is a princess cut and I like that cut but just really like the step-cut because it reminds me of looking at a drop of water.

I understand ...

The last shot makes it look nicely bright & desirable. Stats sound good and confirm expectations: high-ish crown - good, but larger table - so perhaps that is where the darker area in the center in the first two images comes from.

It may be hard to do much better, without an optimized nearly true-square step cut: EC or Carré (WWW) ...

I imagine that you have already looked around - JA etc. I have noticed a few square-ish step cuts (and one 2 carat non-cut cornered, rectangular step cut, D/SI !) - not as few as the extremely octagonal ECs (Octavia-esque), but not thick on the ground.

____

Btw. just wrote a long rant about square cuts - WWW.

Disclaimer: this is procrastination ...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is that the report if EGL and everything I have read says to basically throw it away

... I am sure they got the weight & dimensions right. Then, if this is OK, then GIA's J/VS2 should be too.

No idea about the polish / symmetry - but noticeable disasters seem very rare indeed, regardless of official evaluations ...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite frankly, my dear...that stone is nearly 3cts. You're sitting on a gold mine for a Step-Cut Diamond. Her stats run from Good to Excellent, with a nice spread for optimum finger coverage, great light return (step cut tables are larger; they are windows, and create the illusion of mesmerizing pools). This Asscher has optimal l x w ratio, which makes it perfectly square (not a fat rectangle). Her "windmills" meet in the center, and she has very well cut facets for sparkle in all the right places, in conjunction with beautiful, symmetrical lines for gorgeous flashes!! Not to mention, her clarity!! You can see straight down from top to bottom, without a single inclusion interrupting, or distracting your view!
Valeria is right: "This is procrastination"!!
Please don't make her wait! She's a keeper! :D

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You & I will be fast friends! My EC is named "Uisce"...Irish Gaelic for "Water".
If you are old-school, and appreciate the flashes of light & beautiful reflective properties of the step cut diamond, like I am, the Octavia will never fulfill your soul. I LOVE Octavias, and intend to own one, someday...but not before I fulfill my love for the traditional, Royal Asschers & Emerald Cuts. I am in the beginning stages of creating my own Royal Asscher Anniversary Band to compliment my existing set.
I love the Asscher on your hand. She meets high quality expectations, in spite of what some may say. There is no such thing as the "perfect natural diamond". They don't exist...they are all flawed in one way or another...because they are "Natural". She is quite the beauty! If she meets your budget, and your heart loves her, give her a home!
Thank you so much!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quite frankly, my dear...that stone is nearly 3cts. You're sitting on a gold mine for a Step-Cut Diamond. Her stats run from Good to Excellent, with a nice spread for optimum finger coverage, great light return (step cut tables are larger; they are windows, and create the illusion of mesmerizing pools). This Asscher has optimal l x w ratio, which makes it perfectly square (not a fat rectangle). Her "windmills" meet in the center, and she has very well cut facets for sparkle in all the right places, in conjunction with beautiful, symmetrical lines for gorgeous flashes!! Not to mention, her clarity!! You can see straight down from top to bottom, without a single inclusion interrupting, or distracting your view!
Valeria is right: "This is procrastination"!!
Please don't make her wait! She's a keeper! :D
Thank you. I am feeling tons of relief so I think that means it is meant to be.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valeria is right: "This is procrastination"

I meant to say that I am procrastinating ,-)

It would be lucky indeed if anything obviously better might be on offer. This is nice.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I am feeling tons of relief so I think that means it is meant to be.
I believe you are right!!
The setting is simple, and elegant, but you may find that a reset is in order to provide her opportunity to display her true personality, later on. For now, she's the star she deserves to be!!! She, on her own, is a show stopper! I love her, and she's not even mine!!! :lol:
I'm anxious to see more photos! Once she's yours, please create a thread to introduce her properly to all of PS! I believe others will jump on my bandwagon, and love her ALMOST as much as I do...lol!! ;-)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant to say that I am procrastinating ,-)

It would be lucky indeed if anything obviously better might be on offer. This is nice.
Ah, yes...well, either way...SOMEONE was procrastinating...and it WASN'T ME...lmao!!!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe you are right!!
The setting is simple, and elegant, but you may find that a reset is in order to provide her opportunity to display her true personality, later on. For now, she's the star she deserves to be!!! She, on her own, is a show stopper! I love her, and she's not even mine!!! :lol:
I'm anxious to see more photos! Once she's yours, please create a thread to introduce her properly to all of PS! I believe others will jump on my bandwagon, and love her ALMOST as much as I do...lol!! ;-)
Thanks, will do!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is very similar specs, but not EGL! Still nervous about that but I'm going to trust this ring.

IGI is also not GIA.

The reports are just a matter of price, after all. It is not unheard of to ask for a fresh GIA report while holding first dibs.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is very similar specs, but not EGL! Still nervous about that but I'm going to trust this ring.
O M G!
Valeria, I just saved the one you posted for myself...lol!!! :-o:-o:-o:-o

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 I did not expect to find that sort of match either; not clones or a trully matched pair - like side-stones, still ...

Funny !

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 I did not expect to find that sort of match either; not clones or a trully matched pair - like side-stones, still ...

Funny !
Well, I can thank you, if I ever decide to move forward to purchase that Asscher!! Holy Cow!! She's gorgeous...a great match for Scarsmum's stone!! :-o:-o:-o

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am sorry to be a dissenter, but I am not sure I love that asscher from these pics. I feel like I see a fair amount of leakage in the center, and I prefer tables to be under 65 and closer to 60. Please don't rush to buy a diamond.

Can you tell me the price of this diamond? Because I saw a 3 ct GIA asscher of a PS friend, and she returned it. It is a gorgeous stone if you don't have to have perfectly square. I just don't want to link it if it not within your budget range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results