shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this 5ct Pear?

stradale

Rough_Rock
Looking for any thoughts or advice on this one? I don't have ASET images unfortunately. Not overly bothered by the big inclusion on the top left because it isn't overly visible from a distance.

cert.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 6.19.29 PM.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one does not look like it has very good light return. You want to see distinct, well-defined facets and reduce the areas where it looks
foggy and gray.

An aset image would help bare this out.

stradale

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I'll keep looking!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your budget and colour/clarity/carat requirements?

We like helping to spend other people's budgets ;-) :D lol

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a general comment....not specifically aimed at the stone referenced.
SI2 graded stones with Strong Blue fluorescence should trade at extremely low prices compared to non-fluorsecent stones.
A G/SI1, no blue could easily be double the price of a G/SI2 SB......

Something to keep in mind when gauging at prices...

stradale

Rough_Rock
We were definitely trying to keep the budget as low as possible so I'm fine with strong florescence. Thanks David!
In terms of color I was thinking at an absolute minimum I. G would be great but I'm not sure we'll be able to find a quality stone with that high of a color grade for a price we'd be happy with (we're not looking to spend 100k+). LW ratio around 1.6ish would be ideal with a max of 1.7. As long as the stone is eye clean, SI is fine.

This is another stone but has a lot more inclusions so I'm not the biggest fan, but keep in mind these pictures are magnified so the stone may still be eye clean?
Both of these two diamonds were around $60,000.

cert_2.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 11.41.55 AM.png

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big of a stone are you looking for? 60k is a massive budget for most people, but likely won't get you a good performing 5ct stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some I like from JA in budget (note they are smaller than 5ct).

stradale

Rough_Rock
I was hoping for 5 carats. So any opinions on realistically what a good performing 5ct would cost would be helpful :)
Thanks for the suggestions Lovedogs!
I'm all for going strong fluorescence and SI to keep the budget from skyrocketing.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My honest opinion is that judging such stones ( SI2 level of imperfection) and SB can only be done with your eyes.....
Just as an example, an SI2 sized imperfection that might be easily visible to a 22 year old might be impossible for a 52 year old to pick out

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it need to be a pear?

stradale

Rough_Rock
Does it need to be a pear?

Yes. I'm in love with pears and can't see myself doing a 180 and falling in love with another shape as much.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I'm in love with pears and can't see myself doing a 180 and falling in love with another shape as much.

I think the biggest issue is that good performing pears are tricky to find in any size, much less in such a large size. I honestly can't find anything in the 5ct range on JA or blue nile that I love (even if I ignore all budget requirements and pretend you can spend anything).

stradale

Rough_Rock
I think the biggest issue is that good performing pears are tricky to find in any size, much less in such a large size. I honestly can't find anything in the 5ct range on JA or blue nile that I love (even if I ignore all budget requirements and pretend you can spend anything).

Out of curiosity, what would you say are the shapes that are a bit easy to find with better performance? I can't see myself changing my mind, but I'd like to be better educated... and maybe I surprise myself?

The issue is I'm very picky. I already have a few round RHRs and definitely want something different for my e-ring, I'm not the biggest fan of step-cuts, and so going into this the only shapes that really had any appeal to me were ovals, cushions, radiants and pears. When I tried different shapes on my hand I really liked the larger spread of pears and ovals, and the more elongated shape was much more flattering on my hand.

Reactions: AV_

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I totally understand and appreciate the sentiment "it's hard to find a xxxshape...maybe choose another shape"
It's a conundrum.
The internet is amazing at assisting people to find what they want. Not just diamonds. Dogs, Bikes, cars- you name it!
We're so used to it that the idea of not being able to choose something online is almost....foreign.
For me, it's weird. Of course, I operate on the internet- so I enjoy the benefits.
But When I see a discussion like this, it does give me pause.....
Should a person who dreams of getting a given shape change thier desire due to difficulty in online evaluation?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget that pears and other fancies could/should be considered on spread instead of carat weight - it may well be possible to find a shallower, spread-ier 4ct than has the same 'width x length' dimensions as a heavier (higher carat) stone :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand and appreciate the sentiment "it's hard to find a xxxshape...maybe choose another shape"
It's a conundrum.
The internet is amazing at assisting people to find what they want. Not just diamonds. Dogs, Bikes, cars- you name it!
We're so used to it that the idea of not being able to choose something online is almost....foreign.
For me, it's weird. Of course, I operate on the internet- so I enjoy the benefits.
But When I see a discussion like this, it does give me pause.....
Should a person who dreams of getting a given shape change thier desire due to difficulty in online evaluation?

100% agree. I don't think OP needs to change her desire for a pear. But I do think that enlisting the help of a professional will be necessary because online vendors just won't have the inventory.

@stradale I would email @Rockdiamond off the forum to ask him to help you (Diamonds By Lauren is the company). He can't give advice here or recommend his own services because it's against forum rules, but he is an expert at finding fancy shapes within budget.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@Rockdiamond I can personally speak to this dilemma (although with a different fancy shape).

I longed for a particular shape for years. Ever since I was a teenager & saw a picture of what I thought was the perfect ring.
I didn't get to have any input into my original engagement ring & never liked it.

I looked online for a long time, bought a very bad lab version & a tiny cheap version but it never satisfied that longing.
It was super difficult to look online, because yes for fancy shapes you really need to see them in person.

I finally started to look in person & was equally frustrated. Both high end & low end vendors just didn't impress me.

My husband & close friend started to encourage me to look at other shapes but I was heartbroken at the thought of giving up my long held dream. And ultimately I knew I would not be happy, even if the new ring was perfect in every other way.

I stayed the course, and got the fancy shape I always wanted.

So based on my experience, don't give up, don't go for a different shape if pear is what you really want.

Apologies for being long winded

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to go against the trend here.

I like the first diamond. If inclusions aren't a bother to you, I actually really like the shape of this pear and, most of all, it has the ONE thing I look for in all pears: a cascade effect created by the faceting.

Most pears have an obvious bowtie. This one doesn't. See around the top and down the sides it seems to curve, as tho the facets are cascading down the outer edges? I love that look.

As for the mushy facets - the whole photo is blurry, so I have a hunch that it might look far better in person than in the photograph.

If it HAS to be 5ct and if it HAS to be white and if inclusions TRULY don't bother you, and if it HAS to be 60k or under and this one is....it would be a definite contender for me.

I like it.

stradale

Rough_Rock
Thanks mrs-b. I liked it when I saw it online, but I know a lot of people say you need to see fancy cuts in person to properly evaluate.

These were the two videos that I was sent of the first stone. They're not great quality so unfortunately I don't think they are of much help?

Is it possible for you to order the stone and have them send it to you unset, in a temporary ring holder? So that you can see how it performs with your own two eyes?

I’m not an expert by any means, but I like that you can’t see a bow tie and to me it doesn’t look particularly mushy. Besides, it meets your other parameters - of color, clarity and price.

Goose682

Rough_Rock
Agreed on the carat weight vs visual size aspect. I’m an oval fanatic and after looking at hundreds of ovals I finally understood that carat doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to look “big”. I looked at many 4ct and 5ct stones with spreads of stones that weighed .5-1 carat less. Took me awhile, but I did finally find an oval that was 4ct with the spread of a 5ct.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go antique pear! Saw this at Shreve and Company a couple of years ago. No bowtie. I color. VS. was over 3 carats.

EBDA8ACD-3F3C-479A-A64F-1223E20E08F8.jpeg 79254100-52D8-4EF7-97C8-5994EA37DF54.jpeg D54D73C4-FD68-4B31-8E68-2A9795574251.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks mrs-b. I liked it when I saw it online, but I know a lot of people say you need to see fancy cuts in person to properly evaluate.

These were the two videos that I was sent of the first stone. They're not great quality so unfortunately I don't think they are of much help?

Hi @stradale -

I've been tied up for the last few days, I'm sorry, and only just saw your post.

The pear has some inclusions - granted - but you expected that. What I wanted to see was its faceting, and I have to say - it's lovely! Not at all mushy, surprisingly!

So long as the inclusions don't bother you, I'd be giving this one a shot. Very pretty!

stradale

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the helpful input! =)2
@AllAboardTheBlingTrain
I don't think we're really keen on buying a stone we're not overly confident about and then having to return it. We'd rather get it right the first time. I know a lot of jewelers offer 30 day returns but it just makes me a bit uneasy purchasing and trying to return something by mail at this pricepoint.

@LLJsmom Antique pears are beautiful, but I personally am really drawn to the brilliant cut and am pretty stuck on that kind of cut.

@mrs-b No worries, I appreciate your thoughts! Hmmm this is confusing me more and more haha... maybe I'll still have to consider this one.

There is one other stone that I just got sent photos of yesterday evening. The depth is 51%, so it is a shallow stone (but very spready! :kiss2:). It looks beautiful and I don't see light leakage from the photos I was sent, however I know a stone that shallow falls below the desired range "on paper". Does anyone else have a shallow stone or is there anything to be concerned about?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful input! =)2
@AllAboardTheBlingTrain
I don't think we're really keen on buying a stone we're not overly confident about and then having to return it. We'd rather get it right the first time. I know a lot of jewelers offer 30 day returns but it just makes me a bit uneasy purchasing and trying to return something by mail at this pricepoint.

@LLJsmom Antique pears are beautiful, but I personally am really drawn to the brilliant cut and am pretty stuck on that kind of cut.

@mrs-b No worries, I appreciate your thoughts! Hmmm this is confusing me more and more haha... maybe I'll still have to consider this one.

There is one other stone that I just got sent photos of yesterday evening. The depth is 51%, so it is a shallow stone (but very spready! :kiss2:). It looks beautiful and I don't see light leakage from the photos I was sent, however I know a stone that shallow falls below the desired range "on paper". Does anyone else have a shallow stone or is there anything to be concerned about?

In my personal opinion, you buy a stone, not a piece of paper; and that goes doubly for fancy shapes. I know that’s not a popular opinion haha but I would want to get something I love, with my own two eyes! You could request an ASET and get more pics and videos to help you decide if it’s something you’ll love, if that’s possible to get. Otherwise if you love it and it’s beautiful to you, then it doesn’t matter what the paper says, JMHO.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @stradale -

I'm actually surprised you're confused. For your budget, and what you want size-wise, you know you're going to be compromising somewhere, and inclusions would certainly be my choice. I like the pear a lot. but - you have to be happy with it.

I'll be very interested to see where you land. Good luck!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's incredibly difficult to grade fancy cuts on depth on paper. There's too many flavors and interplay between the overall shape, dimensions, etc that cannot be applied the way it could with a round. The difference between 51, and 49 (which would really be too shallow) could be enormous especially in a stone this size. Would need to see it, no question.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results