shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on septum piercing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
What does it mean? :confused:

Does it have some kind of meaning behind it?

Or is it just another "look at me" thing?

I'm tired of the look at me stuff. I don't do things for other people beyond the societal conventions of looking like everyone else (clothed, groomed, housed). That's all they're getting out of me.

I think a lot of look at me stuff is externalizing the sense of self, which is not healthy. Looking at strangers for affirmation or approval is the road to hell (I'm thinking of all the suicides caused by teens not getting approval from their peer group).

If there is some kind of meaning (like religious, even a sexual expression) then fine, more power to you.

The definer for me is "If no one else EVER saw it, would I still buy it/do it?". If the answer is no, then it's for others and I don't do it.

Be who you are, not what you think other people will like you for.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1433952886|3887344 said:

I'm tired of the look at me stuff. I don't do things for other people beyond the societal conventions of looking like everyone else (clothed, groomed, housed). That's all they're getting out of me.

I think a lot of look at me stuff is externalizing the sense of self, which is not healthy. Looking at strangers for affirmation or approval is the road to hell (I'm thinking of all the suicides caused by teens not getting approval from their peer group).

If there is some kind of meaning (like religious, even a sexual expression) then fine, more power to you.

The definer for me is "If no one else EVER saw it, would I still buy it/do it?". If the answer is no, then it's for others and I don't do it.

Not everything has to have a meaning. What is the meaning of piercing your ears? My mother had my ears pierced at 6mon, probably so people stopped thinking I was a boy. Does that have 'meaning'? I used to dye my hair blonde. What is the meaning of that? That I liked lighter hair? Oy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meanings will vary.
I could do x to my body to express y.
You may see it and feel it means z.

I could also do x to 'express' nothing at all.
I may just like x.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
telephone89 said:
iLander|1433952886|3887344 said:

Not everything has to have a meaning. What is the meaning of piercing your ears? My mother had my ears pierced at 6mon, probably so people stopped thinking I was a boy. Does that have 'meaning'? I used to dye my hair blonde. What is the meaning of that? That I liked lighter hair? Oy.

In this case, for me, it does.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
Meaning varies since it exists only in the mind of the beholder.

That's my question. Is there a significance to it? Does it say something?

I'm asking because I do not know.

IF it is only a fashion thing, then in my personal opinion, I think it looks kinda icky.

I also find cheek piercings quite gross, and don't know what they're supposed to say either.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opps. :oops:
Double post.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1433961221|3887431 said:
kenny said:

IF it is only a fashion thing, then in my personal opinion, I think it looks kinda icky.

I also find cheek piercings quite gross, and don't know what they're supposed to say either.

Sorry I edited my post but

1. "Is there a significance to it?" There may or not be, but if so it is not absolute. It is variable since it's in the mind of the wearer and the observer.
2. "Does it say something?" See #1.

You think it looks kinda icky or gross.
No problem.
Then you don't have to do it.

Why do you have to search for meaning or 'saying'?
It just is.
It doesn't matter, but IMO what does matter is respecting diversity and just letting others be different.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always wondered if people with pierced cheeks/lips can blow up a balloon.
Doesn't the air just leak out their hole?

Can they drink out of the straw?
Doesn't air get sucked in via their hole?
Doesn't their drink leak out their hole?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1433961898|3887436 said:

These are very gross questions I'd not thought of.
What about just saliva? :???:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1433961635|3887435 said:
kenny said:

1. "Is there a significance to it?" There may or not be, but if so it is not absolute. It is variable since it's in the mind of the wearer and the observer.

No problem.

It just is.
It doesn't matter, but IMO what does matter is respecting diversity and just letting others be different.

Because if I found it meant, say devotion to Krishna or whatever, I would say "Great! That's cool that you are expressing a meaning with that." I would look at it differently, I really would.

But thanks for respecting my personal opinion. We all vary when it comes to opinions, and I respect yours.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1433961898|3887436 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG that's hilarious! :bigsmile:

I always wonder about food getting caught in there. :|

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the 20 year old me would get a piercing just because I passed a piercing shop and it's a body part that hasn't been pierced, whereas the 36 year old me wouldn't choose any type of body modification unless it was thought through and had some meaningful significance to me.

I hope this means I've matured a bit. :Up_to_something: :cheeky: :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1433961635|3887435 said:
kenny said:

No problem.

It just is.

Hey, Kenny, what if I'm wearing a giant cross around my neck. :naughty: Can you respect that? Or do you think less of me?

You don't have to answer that . . . lol. Just poking the bear . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean said:
I feel like the 20 year old me would get a piercing just because I passed a piercing shop and it's a body part that hasn't been pierced, whereas the 36 year old me wouldn't choose any type of body modification unless it was thought through and had some meaningful significance to me.

I hope this means I've matured a bit. :Up_to_something: :cheeky: :appl:

I think that's exactly what it means, lol . . . :D

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for them, but then I don't really like any piercings except for pierced ears.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1433962809|3887451 said:
Hey, Kenny, what if I'm wearing a giant cross around my neck. :naughty: Can you respect that? Or do you think less of me?

Just so you have a very hairy chest. :lol:

screen_shot_2015-06-10_at_3.png

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, the photo of you(above) is stunning. Thanks for sharing! :clap:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
None of it has to have meaning, other than a means of expressing yourself. Just like what you wear. There doesn't have to be a "growing up" or "maturing" about it either...I'm 40 and by the time I'm done I'll be even more heavily tattooed, and that doesn't mean I'm immature or have yet to grow up. It just means this is how I choose to express myself. I LIKE it. It makes me feel pretty to have pretty things on me. There are plenty of men and women in their 50's 60's 70's and older who are heavily tattooed and still rocking it w/out remorse, contrary to opinion.

The only difference between tattooed people and non tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care if you have tattoos. I suppose the same could be said for those w/piercings. The tattoo forum I'm on, there's a whole thread devoted to how to deal w/disparaging remarks and looks and rudeness and stereotypes. There's also a thread on the nice things non tattooed people have said. One's longer than the other, and you can take a wild stab in the dark as to which it is.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was raised, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all (-does not apply to internet forums!)

Seeing the Kravitz kid picture, makes me think that being so beautiful, you can get away with doing something not traditionally considered beautiful (piercings, shaved head, crazy clothes) and can actually be a way to enhance or point out the beauty (I'm so beautiful I look great even wearing these grungy clothes!), kind of like a created mole (aka beauty mark) (also see selection, handicap principle).

Alas not many can pull it off, or have too many things going on at the same time to make it work. Kind of like, one bumpersticker is good, 20 is, way too many.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About that Kravitz kid.......
Is she immensely talented or just the progeny of famous parents?
So sick of Hollywood kids and nepotism. I guess that will never change.
Even my beloved Vogue magazine is now full of famous people's kids.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
stracci2000|1434065157|3888093 said:
About that Kravitz kid.......
Is she immensely talented or just the progeny of famous parents?
So sick of Hollywood kids and nepotism. I guess that will never change.
Even my beloved Vogue magazine is now full of famous people's kids.

I think she has talent. She is in The Divergent films. Most recently she had a small role in Mad Max Fury Road.

I've never seen her in the spotlight until recently.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of this piercing, just looking at it makes me squirm. ( more so the pain of getting it makes me squirm) I do like some delicate facial piercings on people though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results