carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Old Mine

diamondsinthesky21

Rough_Rock
Reposting from antique thread, hope that's okay:

Hi!
My boyfriend and I have been looking online for an engagement ring and I knew from the beginning I wanted something antique cut (old mine), and something 3.5+ carat. I haven't felt super strongly around color (though I do like a bit of warmth), and clarity at least eye clean.

Recently we went and looked at a diamond, but I can't quite decide how I feel about it as it's tough to judge the cut on these older cuts. I would love to get any of your expert opinions on this! Some pics/videos I love it and then others I'm not sure.

Specs:
Carat: 4.23
Color: Q/R
Clarity: SI1 (mostly twinning wisps)
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Fair
Flourescence: Medium Blue

Dimensions: 10.61 x 9.27 x 5.88 (63% depth)

Another alternative would be to get a lab grown from a place like distinctive gems, but not sure how we feel about paying the same amount for mmd (though objectively better stats). Also I kinda love the idea of an actual antique.

Thank you all!

(think you can expand the videos)

FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_5655.jpeg IMG_5657.jpeg IMG_5662.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5659.jpeg
    IMG_5659.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to your engagement!

- Obligatory not an expert -
If you aren’t smitten - that tells you something isn’t just right for this to be the one for you.

Key will be to find out if it’s the lower color paired with the mbf that you may not like in some environments, or maybe the facet pattern isn’t what you might like it to be? Just guessing?
I’d ask to see (probably will be closer to 3.5ct ) stones with less fluorescence in that same color range, and with more defined/sharper facet pattern than this one has. That probably would help you pinpoint what it is that you don’t enjoy in this one.
Also- I like wonk in old stones. Maybe I woukdnt like a wonky outline stone such as this one in a setting like this- that may accentuate as it does.
I hesitate to critique more, especially without seeing more and super sharp photos. But especially so because where I may choose to compromise on parameters for a budget, probably won’t be the same where someone else would choose to, or at all.

I agree if you are wanting super light performance/no leakage - it’d be much easier to go to newly precision cut route.

I would jump off of a cliff before wanting to see ASET images of my OEC

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
I'm excited that you are considering an old mine for the engagement ring! They're each so individual and (I think) extra special. I'm not an expert, but have been looking at a number of them lately (mostly online, a few in person) as I'm on the lookout for a non-engagement ring/stone for myself. I had a look at the two videos on my phone full screen and here are some thoughts:

- Colour looks pleasant to me in the outdoor photos and videos. What are your thoughts of it in indoor light? It may look more tinted in artificial light as the blue fluorescence noted could be making it look whiter in sunlight.

- I also think it doesn't look very lively under the table. Maybe a bit of a "fish eye"? It seems to go a bit darker/greyish along the outlines of the table, not severe and not necessarily a deal breaker for me, but not ideal from the videos.

- Are you happy with the setting and would you be staying with it if you choose the stone? With the pave, it's more modern-looking than what I usually prefer for old cuts. I wonder if an antique inspired or just more streamlined setting can make the colour and cut look more harmonious.

- I'm aware that old cuts over 2.5 ct seem to be in short supply of late, so one may have to make concessions to find a larger stone. Have you checked with the old cuts vendors such as Old World Diamonds, Jewels by Grace? I haven't seen old mines in your size range on Ivy & Rose, but they seemed to have larger old European cuts last time I looked, if you'd be open to those.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It is not as lively as other old cuts I have seen. I would pass.

I would reach out to Old World Diamonds, Jewels By Grace, and Alex Park (Instagram only)

diamondsinthesky21

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Thanks for your responses, I feel like most are confirming what I was already wary about. For some reason it doesn't seem to have the big flashes of light that made me originally fall in love with older cuts. Not sure if that's due to the facet patterning or light leakage (is that what dead/flat in the center means?). Sometimes I can see what I don't love, but don't know the words to use.

Ideally for setting, I would like simple as possible, just a plain gold band/four prongs. In this particular case, the jeweler would be willing to change the setting if we purchased the stone.

I've checked online at Old World Diamonds and Jewels by Grace, but not seeing much that meets what we're looking for. OWD seems to be considerably more expensive ($50k - $100k for the size range), which is definitely higher than we are looking to go. Ideally we would stay under $35k. Do these vendors typically have inventory that's not listed online?

Thanks all, really appreciate the input. The search is fun (but also exhausting for a perfectionist like myself :???:)

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!

Thanks for your responses, I feel like most are confirming what I was already wary about. For some reason it doesn't seem to have the big flashes of light that made me originally fall in love with older cuts. Not sure if that's due to the facet patterning or light leakage (is that what dead/flat in the center means?). Sometimes I can see what I don't love, but don't know the words to use.

Ideally for setting, I would like simple as possible, just a plain gold band/four prongs. In this particular case, the jeweler would be willing to change the setting if we purchased the stone.

I've checked online at Old World Diamonds and Jewels by Grace, but not seeing much that meets what we're looking for. OWD seems to be considerably more expensive ($50k - $100k for the size range), which is definitely higher than we are looking to go. Ideally we would stay under $35k. Do these vendors typically have inventory that's not listed online?

Thanks all, really appreciate the input. The search is fun (but also exhausting for a perfectionist like myself :???:)

I would definitely call or email Old World Diamonds! He can help you find something - don’t just look online, he doesn’t even have photos of everything

But honestly I don’t know if you are going to find a knockout diamond in the size you want. I could be wrong, because this is not a range I’ve intently looked for because it’s way larger than I prefer for myself.

But I think the reason this stone was in budget is because of the cut…you can’t have it all, usually! OWD has competitive pricing, I have not found them to be overpriced at all

Keep in mind, size isn’t the only thing that determines price. Clarity, color, cut, weight, all factor in. Also for old cuts, look at dimensions in addition to carat weight. OMCs can be very chunky and bottom heavy, or have really high puffy crowns that are gorgeous, but mean they have less “spread” and finger coverage

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I can tell you that I am looking at the ~5ct range for an OMC (DSS is real). Most of the nice examples are just over 50k.

I think a 35k budget is healthy but you may be looking at something closer to ~3.5ct depending on the vendor.

There are quite a few vendors on instagram who are selling bigger OMC but honestly nothing has really wowed me. I definitely think that you can find one but patience is the key. These are special and unique. They don't cut them like they used to. I appreciate the charm and personalities of each old cut hence why modern cut antique styles don't appeal to me.

Here are some instagram vendors - please tread with caution and do send us photos/videos for review:
- https://www.instagram.com/parrisjewels/
- https://www.instagram.com/jewelsbywhitney/
- https://www.instagram.com/mollie_francine/
- https://www.instagram.com/jacobkfinejewelry/
- https://www.instagram.com/xothebijouxbox/

Also.. I know you said 35k and plain solitaire type setting but this diamond and the 3 stone setting is just divine:

Erica might be negotiable on price. :)

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What about an early OEC?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
What about an early OEC?

Oh I’d snag that in a heartbeat!

She seems to have a few that are nice…I’m very confused by the below listing but I’m partial to this one…

B1F8084E-DFFE-418F-9161-8C22606F2FFD.jpeg

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Oh I’d snag that in a heartbeat!

She seems to have a few that are nice…I’m very confused by the below listing but I’m partial to this one…

B1F8084E-DFFE-418F-9161-8C22606F2FFD.jpeg

I was trying to figure out which was which in the "tea" post as well. It reads like a puzzle! I'm thinking this one is the certed 4.27ct K VS1, and it seems shallower than the 5.5ct? Looks good in the hand video post, too.

I'm still drooling over the 5.5ct though, it's so chunky and I'm loving the colour.

diamondsinthesky21

Rough_Rock
Oh @Cerulean I do love that one! I reached out to her about pricing. In the photo you posted I can't tell if the stone looks cloudy, or is it more just a product of poorer photography?

As I'm looking more online, I think I'm partial to Old mines with slightly OEC interior faceting but more of a cushion-y shape (if that makes sense), like the ones below:

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It took me many months to find my OEC. The hunt is fun! I got my diamond from Eragem. They allowed me to return the setting for a partial refund. I looked there and I don’t see one that is exactly what you are looking for, but perhaps you could think about looking at intact rings from various vendors and asking for a discount if you buy just the stone.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh @Cerulean I do love that one! I reached out to her about pricing. In the photo you posted I can't tell if the stone looks cloudy, or is it more just a product of poorer photography?

As I'm looking more online, I think I'm partial to Old mines with slightly OEC interior faceting but more of a cushion-y shape (if that makes sense), like the ones below:

I totally get what you mean! I love cushiony OECs!

To me, this is the prettiest one I’ve seen: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-divine-miss-m-from-oldworlddiamonds.234272/

For the ones with Grace, I’m not into the last one at all. The table is large and it’s just not performing like I’d want.

I’d ask for videos of 1 & 2 to see how they perform. The 4.35 is my favorite, but if you plan on putting it in prongs id be nervous about the very thin / thin girdle.

My suspicion is that 5.17- it’s going to go darker under the table IRL (as in multiple facets are going to go dark simultaneously) or the facets might look a little less defined but that’s why I’d get a video - I could be dead wrong

So far though, I like the one I grabbed a screenshot of from Instagram - I’ll own tho I might be biased bc I prefer whiter stones

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
And regarding cloudiness - I think it’s just fingerprints or smudges. I’d want a GIA report though! I just wouldn’t be worried about a VS1 - it looks eye clean to me

diamondsinthesky21

Rough_Rock
Wow, that one you linked is a dream!

I found a few quick videos if anyone has thoughts!

5.17 (this is obviously out of my budget but interested in learning about performance):

4.35 (the one on the left) I'm unsure on the color, I've never seen that low in person:
https://www.instagram.com/p/COVdqIaBJr_/

4.2 from love affair diamonds (this one is sold out but to my novice eye I think it's really pretty so would love to hear from the experts here!)

I also asked Mollie Francine for more info and videos on the 4.27, so I'll keep everyone updated there!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that one you linked is a dream!

I found a few quick videos if anyone has thoughts!

5.17 (this is obviously out of my budget but interested in learning about performance):

4.35 (the one on the left) I'm unsure on the color, I've never seen that low in person:
https://www.instagram.com/p/COVdqIaBJr_/

4.2 from love affair diamonds (this one is sold out but to my novice eye I think it's really pretty so would love to hear from the experts here!)

I also asked Mollie Francine for more info and videos on the 4.27, so I'll keep everyone updated there!

that 4.35 is my favorite among these by a landslide!

I don't like the 5.17 nearly as well. too many of the same facets go on/off at the same time for my liking

the table is too big on the 4.2 that sold out for my preference..but what you like matters more. it does have very pretty "flowery" facets.

there are so many different flavors of cut and patterns as it looks like you are learning!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Probably not what you’re looking for but I just found this…..I want….but I can’t have so I said I’d share!! Seems like a really good price too!

Estate Art Deco 5.03 CTW Old European Cut Diamond Platinum Engagement Ring by Reigningjewels on Etsy

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock
@diamondsinthesky21 - did you and your partner end up finding your dream OMC? Would love to hear about where you landed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results