shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on my diamond proportions please...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wait, I just remembered to look at BN Signature Ideals which is where the best cut stones are. There are some nice ones but they are over $6k. Don't know if you have that much flexibility, but just know those are BN's best cut options and the stones are supposed to be in-house.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06401095 I VVS1 1.04

http://www.bluenile.com/certs/2206666173.pdf?params=Y291bnRyeT1VU0EmcHJvZHVjdD1CTiZwaG9uZT0xKzg4OC01NjUtNzY0MSZsaW5rPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuYmx1ZW5pbGUuY29tJTJGX0xEMDY0MDEwOTUmY3VycmVuY3k9VVNEJmxhYj1naWEmc2t1PUxEMDY0MDEwOTUm

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
I forgot about signiture ideal with BN. If you think I'm not going to get what I want unless I go Signiture Ideal then I am willing to spend the extra money but really would like to keep it under 7. I might have to go with a less expensive setting, which is fine, I would rather buy a nicer diamond. I so appreciate all your input and help so far!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Gnoble,

Had my DiamCalc open this morning while reading the forum. Here is the ASET of what the original diamonds proportions would estimate at based on the GIA measurements.

:???:

gnobleproportions.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhino said:
Hi Gnoble,

Had my DiamCalc open this morning while reading the forum. Here is the ASET of what the original diamonds proportions would estimate at based on the GIA measurements.

Yikes!

OP, maybe start a new thread and ask for Mrs Blop. She has bought numerous stones from BN with great success. I think she has a knack for picking the good ones on BN. I seem to recall her saying you don't have to go BN Signature Ideal to get a really great diamond, it'll just take some more work. I know I've looked at some of the Signature Ideal stones and they weren't automatically great. If I have time later I can try and take a look. Use the advance search feature and use the parameters we posted.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1452357747|3973214 said:
Rhino said:
Hi Gnoble,

Yikes!

OP, maybe start a new thread and ask for Mrs Blop. She has bought numerous stones from BN with great success. I think she has a knack for picking the good ones on BN. I seem to recall her saying you don't have to go BN Signature Ideal to get a really great diamond, it'll just take some more work. I know I've looked at some of the Signature Ideal stones and they weren't automatically great. If I have time later I can try and take a look. Use the advance search feature and use the parameters we posted.

We have already searched using the parameters MrsBlop uses. She just stays within ideal cut numbers which have already been listed on this thread. You probably aren't going to get a perfect H&A that way, but you can get one of the really nice GIA Ex cut stones. That is what we have been searching for. I have been clicking on almost all of them in order to see the angles.

I wasn't looking so much at 1.00-1.04, but if she wants to go down to that size range we can look some more. I personally would not go to J color.

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
So as much as I would love "the perfect diamond" I do want to try to stay reasonably within my budget. Since I know you are all either professionals or diamond enthusiast (as I am learning to be one as well) I at this point would really like a well cut diamond. I am not sure if I need a true H&A diamond. I guess I'm wondering if I absolutely need that to have a beautiful well cut diamond? I am willing to dish out the money and drop a bit of carat weight if you all truly think I will see a big enough difference. If you think we can find a gorgeous diamond a notch down from true H&A then I am fine with that. I guess I want the best bang for my buck. I am a sparkleaholic and can't get enough. The reason I couldn't love the diamond I started with is because for now obvious reasons it's not giving me the sparkle I want. With all this being said I am not comfortable going below I color. I am not crazy about the warmth of the diamond lower than an I. I would prefer higher than an I but for price concerns I am perfectly fine with I. Again not to be redundant I really appreciate everyone's help!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gnoble

What we are trying to find you is a (near) perfect H&A diamond, whose proportion numbers fall within the ideal ranges and angles complementing each other.

This is a great looking diamond (not perfect H&A) that somewhat resembles BN's VS2
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3095470.htm#

The 1.13 diamond is: vS2 color I triple excellent. $5335
58% table
61.5 depth
35 crown Angle
40.8 pavilion angle

Just looking at those proportions, I would say BN's VS2 arguably has better proportions.

Here is a diamond with 40.6/36.0 combo that resembles VVS2.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3571566.htm#

I carefully say that those VVS2 and VS2 that Bluenile suggested are still beautiful diamond.
I even carefully suggest that those will perfore somewhere between these two diamond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7C0A1Ck0IE

If you are looking for a perfect cut diamond, you may have to compromise on carat/clarity/color, or significantly increase your budget above 6k, or keep checking the inventory for next awhile and get lucky.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think we can find a gorgeous diamond a notch down from true H&A then I am fine with that.
Those BN VS2 and VV2 fit your requirement. They both miss requirements for true H&A because of slightly steep crown angles for the given pavilion angles. Nonetheless, both are GIA triple X (and potentially AGS 0~1 in regards to light performance) with near ideal proprotions. I have tried to find you a similar stone with VS1 for a better balance of value, mind-cleanliness, and clarity; I have found none (at least from BN)

It is a toss up. If you like the large carat weight, VS2. If you want to be mind-clean, VV2.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
flyingpig said:
If you think we can find a gorgeous diamond a notch down from true H&A then I am fine with that.
Those BN VS2 and VV2 fit your requirement. They both miss requirements for true H&A because of slightly steep crown angles for the given pavilion angles. Nonetheless, both are GIA triple X (and potentially AGS 0~1 in regards to light performance) with near ideal proprotions. I have tried to find you a similar stone with VS1 for a better balance of value, mind-cleanliness, and clarity; I have found none (at least from BN)

It is a toss up. If you like the large carat weight, VS2. If you want to be mind-clean, VV2.
35/40.8 and 35.5/40.6 crown and Pavillion combos are perfectly within hearts and arrows angle ranges. As with any stone - you need an ASET image so you can make judgment visually and have eliminated the GIA averaging and rounding effects. Those angles could actually be 35.2 and 40.9 and may have one of the facet slightly angled more steeper.. To know that we need ASET.

I would be more careful in a 34 degree crown angle for a hearts & arrows as it can essentially be a 33.5 reported as 34. It may not be hearts & arrows because the arrows may turn blue instead of white - and that's not perfect H&A.

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
So does the majority feel I would be happy with the choices I have mentioned or do we feel I should dish out the extra probably thousand dollars for a true hearts and arrows, or should I wait until after Valentine's Day to see if inventory goes up? I am fine having a close to perfect stone that gives me beautiful sparkle and shine. I'm not sure I want to spend that much more money to get a true hearts and arrows diamond. I guess I'm trying to get someone's approval that I will be happy with the excellent or idea cut vs the true hearts and arrows. The 1.15 that was posted scores a 1.1 if I remember or 1.2 which is pretty darn close and only $100 more than what I spent on my original stone vs me dishing out $1000+ more for a signature ideal. $1000 is a lot of money to me. Sorry if I am redundant I am just trying to find peace with this whole situation.

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
Only you can determine what type of perfection you want! I for one love sparkle and would enjoy a true hearts and arrow diamond but I'd rather have a nice, sparkly ring that has the largest size for what Im willing to spend. My novice eye wouldn't notice the difference between a nice triple x vs a H&A. So that's what I went for on my recent upgrade, it's not perfection, but to my eye it's beautiful! Really you have to decide if you want to spend the $$$ for a hearts and arrow or can you love a nice sparkly diamond that may be close to H&A, but not quite there.

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Downsy|1452440451|3973698 said:
Only you can determine what type of perfection you want! I for one love sparkle and would enjoy a true hearts and arrow diamond but I'd rather have a nice, sparkly ring that has the largest size for what Im willing to spend. My novice eye wouldn't notice the difference between a nice triple x vs a H&A. So that's what I went for on my recent upgrade, it's not perfection, but to my eye it's beautiful! Really you have to decide if you want to spend the $$$ for a hearts and arrow or can you love a nice sparkly diamond that may be close to H&A, but not quite there.

I'm with you, I feel like as a novice I won't notice the minute difference between a hearts and arrows diamond and an almost hearts and arrows diamond. I'm not sure I would want to sacrifice as much carat size to keep what I already have in size for something no one else will probably be able to identify besides a trained professional. I do want over a carat now that I have had it. I just want gorgeous sparkle!

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Your opinion on twining wisps and feathers? Ok in a VS2?

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Ok. It's on hold. I will start a new thread to ask opinions. I'm crossing my fingers. It looks like a good option. Thank you again!

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Anyone willing to take a look at the 1.17 carat that was posted and give me an opinion it would be greatly appreciated! I started a thread on it you can comment here or there. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results