shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on metal color combinations for ring setting

Q

Queenie60

I have recently purchased an OEC - it is a 2.25 carat Q color and very beautiful. I am having a setting made by CVB and would like to have opinions regarding metal combinations. One would be a yellow gold shank with yellow gold bezel and prongs; the second choice would be the shank in white metal. Also, what are your thoughts on unplated white gold vs platinum? Appreciate your expert opinions. Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h4d4dakrmn2j1nb/AAD22haAFRXKt6lHINGJ7Jkla?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8cxkhesbtu5qcmy/AABY5AZrel6X5Q3ydy3frlUva?dl=0

Appreciate your opinions. Thank you. :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer option one. The yellow in the shank seems to tie into the color of the stone better than an all white metal.

As to your choice of metals I would choose platinum. It's more of a bright white and in my opinion will accentuate the color difference more than an unplated white.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1473517272|4074837 said:
I prefer option one. The yellow in the shank seems to tie into the color of the stone better than an all white metal.

As to your choice of metals I would choose platinum. It's more of a bright white and in my opinion will accentuate the color difference more than an unplated white.

Ditto all of this. I think the yellow in the shank balances the yellow around the head, making the yellow seat holding the diamond seem less random or disconnected. I also think it gives it a beautifully vintage feel.

I also absolutely agree with platinum vs unplated white gold for the rest. Your melee won't be nearly as warm as your center stone, so you need a contrast here against the yellow gold. I also think unplated white gold next to yellow gold could look somewhat drab.

Great ring, Queenie! Do you have a link to the stone somewhere? Or some photos? Or a PS link? Would love to see it! (Gonna go scroll through your topics now and see if I can find your stone!)

:wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful design and there is no wrong option.
Personally I prefer the white metal shank and I would choose platinum because of the colour and durability.
My U-V OEC is set in platinum and I love the antique lace feeling.

Happy decision making :wavey:

_5739.jpeg

_5740.jpeg

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey, Queenie60! I think, based on my ring, you know which I would ultimately pick! :D It's tough, though! They're both great options. Would you be stacking it with bands? And if so, what metals are they and do you like mixing metal colors?

I'm in agreement with the other posters that if you do a silver-colored shank, platinum is the better option. It's also more true to the time period of the diamond cut, which resonates with me. Whatever you choose will be gorgeous, though! :love:

Looking forward to journey pics!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ring in unplated white, and it is a really nice compromise color wise. It is softer than rhodium plated white, and I don't care for the gray tone of platinum, so for me it is kind of an "off white" and I really like it. Mine is 14k, I can't speak to what unplated 18k would look like - but I love the scratch resistance of my ring and the color is just a little antique looking.

Very happy with it. I also like yellow gold, and I wear this ring with a yellow gold band and it looks nice.

Q

Queenie60

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate all of the responses. I had initially decided on option #1 with 18 k yellow gold and platinum, with the yellow shank. However after thinking about it I wanted other PS opinions to be sure that my thinking is correct. So as of now I am going with the platinum, 18 k yellow gold and a yellow gold shank. Still going back and forth about the shank being yellow gold, wondering if it is as durable as platinum? And to confirm - this is a right hand ring.

Below is a link to the stone.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/on-hold-2-25ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ags-q-si1/

I was able to see it in person a few weeks ago as I visited Washington State and met with Erica to see OEC stones in person. Had been thinking about this for a few weeks and fell in love with this stone. It spoke to me!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like option 1 because it seems more balanced.

Just throwing out another option - what if you made the coffins/arrows that house the 3 melee YG and the balance of the shank plat? I'm curious to see how that would look...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am liking option 1. I love mixed metals. Gives it more interest. Option 2 is also pretty...I dont think you could go wrong
with either but I find option 1 more interesting.

Q

Queenie60

PintoBean|1473527334|4074898 said:
I like option 1 because it seems more balanced.

Just throwing out another option - what if you made the coffins/arrows that house the 3 melee YG and the balance of the shank plat? I'm curious to see how that would look...

I'll inquire about that - hopefully come back with a photo. Thank you! Great idea.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie -

Just in case you don't find it, I also commented on your other thread re the pear drop earrings. I have drop pear earrings also, so, in case you haven't seen them before, I included a photo of those on your thread.

ETA And I love your new OEC!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either of these two options is great. (I would not reverse the colors on the shank and make the diamond part yellow and the shank white.) I do think the yellow gold shank ties in with the bezel, so it would be my first choice. And I absolutely agree that platinum should be the white metal. As others said, you want white to contrast with the yg. You could do the gallery in yg if you wanted to accentuate the yellow in the diamond even more.

This is going to be a beautiful ring, Queenie! One of my favorite settings and I'd love to find the right stone to make one eventually!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results