shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on cornflower sapphire

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It will be interesting to see your pics and thoughts on whatever it is you are getting in from Inken!

I'm also quite excited for that one! I should also hopefully be hearing from a Singaporean-based dealer who has gorgeous sapphires too :D

@voce Definitely! I'm not in a particular rush, but I did want to see what everyone thinks, especially as a first-time gemstone buyer.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
WeChat Image_20190715102111.jpg WeChat Image_20190715102120.jpg
More pictures I received. It looks a bit light on the saturation though? PS-ers, please let me know what you guys think.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The first one!!!!!

Supposedly the one I posted before (the 3rd one) is actually very similar! I'm very excited to see that one in person since it's also closer to my ideal shape/size (2.0ct, square-ish cushion). It's USD2600ish though >.<

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Supposedly the one I posted before (the 3rd one) is actually very similar! I'm very excited to see that one in person since it's also closer to my ideal shape/size (2.0ct, square-ish cushion). It's USD2600ish though >.<
I think that's a fair price if there's a trustworthy cert. Over my budget so I totally get that it's pricey, but it's reasonably priced for what it is

voce

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the second one as well. The longer cushion looks more electric, but the shape of the second one is more pleasing to the eye. By the way, which stone did you just more pictures of? In the real world, not idealized vendor pictures, the sapphire in post #35 looks to be of good, but not an excellent, quality for color.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I think that's a fair price if there's a trustworthy cert. Over my budget so I totally get that it's pricey, but it's reasonably priced for what it is

Comes with GRS certificate! Madagascar origin, and unheated.

@voce I posted more pics of the sapphire in post #35 since I'll be seeing the elongated cushion in person this Tuesday. That sapphire is in a different city, so I feel like I have to really like it based on pics first before committing to a trip there. It's also RMB8600 for 1.97 ct. which seems to be too good to be true for me. :/

voce

Ideal_Rock
Comes with GRS certificate! Madagascar origin, and unheated.

@voce I posted more pics of the sapphire in post #35 since I'll be seeing the elongated cushion in person this Tuesday. That sapphire is in a different city, so I feel like I have to really like it based on pics first before committing to a trip there. It's also RMB8600 for 1.97 ct. which seems to be too good to be true for me. :/
Don't know if both sapphires you'll be seeing Tuesday are unheated and certified as such. If so, then that elongated cushion would be a steal! The price makes sense if it has been treated.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know if both sapphires you'll be seeing Tuesday are unheated and certified as such. If so, then that elongated cushion would be a steal! The price makes sense if it has been treated.

All of them are certified unheated :) I think the advantage of Chinese suppliers is that they're closer to Sri Lanka/Madagascar.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Some of these glowing vendor handimages look rather artificial.

Lilith112, I don-t think the fact that fedex needs 1 day or two days to transport makes Chinese vendors more competitive. Some famous gem guru said the closer to the mine the higher the BS factor or something like that, Who was it?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Some of these glowing vendor handimages look rather artificial.

Lilith112, I don-t think the fact that fedex needs 1 day or two days to transport makes Chinese vendors more competitive. Some famous gem guru said the closer to the mine the higher the BS factor or something like that, Who was it?

Well, the market for commissioned pieces is probably bigger and more competitive here, plus lower labor costs. I visited a mall on Saturday that was allll gemstone sellers, so people have lots of options and can jump around vendors depending on their request.

For the glowing images, I'll be seeing all of them in person so I guess we'll see!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious to see the current short list. You want a little bit of silk but too much silk and the look becomes hazy/oily. It should have a fine balance of silk and sparkle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First one has promise but that picture could be much clearer.
Second has a slight gray cast.
Can't tell much about the third (might have cut issues or zoning?)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
First one has promise but that picture could be much clearer.
Second has a slight gray cast.
Can't tell much about the third (might have cut issues or zoning?)
Which one do you think has grey cast? I edited my short list a bit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see it's been edited.

Stone 1: Definitely good to follow up.
Stone 2: Also a good contender, but I cannot make up any details from your picture
Stone 3: Has a gray cast.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I see it's been edited.

Stone 1: Definitely good to follow up.
Stone 2: Also a good contender, but I cannot make up any details from your picture
Stone 3: Has a gray cast.
Thank you for your feedback! I'm very excited about one and two right now; will be seeing the first one tomorrow and taking lots of pictures! I've seen the second one in person and that's the only one I remember after seeing 10+ sapphire suppliers lol.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
More sapphires! I'll be looking at these in person on Saturday, hence why I didn't push for more visuals. Based on these pics, do you think they look more cornflower or royal blue? First one's 2.01 ct, other one is 2.51 ct; both are around 2500-3000 dollars, comes with GRS certificates.

WeChat Image_20190716113055.jpg WeChat Image_20190716113045.jpg

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock
Based on what I see on my phone, royal, not cornflower.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Based on what I see on my phone, royal, not cornflower.

Yeah, I talked w/a seller today who confirmed that today, so I'll pass for now. I also saw the first sapphire in my short list today; it was a bit too pale/lavender in person, so I decided against it. I did talk to him about the second one however, and he said he'll continue helping me search :)

So right now, it's been narrowed down to just 2 sellers. Will probably return to second stone's seller on Saturday to look at more stones, including 2 3ct. ones as well as some rubies and emeralds :geek2: Also contemplating getting a pendant made too now! Very addicting lol

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Going to see these two tomorrow...PS-ers, any thoughts?

Pics taken in indoor lighting. Top is heated and USD1500, 2ct, second one is also 2ct and unheated but USD2700. IMG_20190718_234644.jpg mmexport1563362253674.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More sapphires! I'll be looking at these in person on Saturday, hence why I didn't push for more visuals. Based on these pics, do you think they look more cornflower or royal blue? First one's 2.01 ct, other one is 2.51 ct; both are around 2500-3000 dollars, comes with GRS certificates.

WeChat Image_20190716113055.jpg WeChat Image_20190716113045.jpg

I wouldn’t get too much caught up in naming cornflower or royal.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts still linger on what they look like without a direct focused lightsource.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B7E0CF0F-C367-4E52-BB06-06EEA5249301.jpeg
The name a stone could be given doesn’t sway me much,
if the color I can easily fall for is only apparent in a strictly controlled environment
F86942A3-D8D2-405F-87E9-086B8B9538EA.jpeg
Because the huge majority of the time /environment I saw of that same stone lends to this.

Yes- I know asking for the moon commands a higher price tag.
It still bears saying though.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
B7E0CF0F-C367-4E52-BB06-06EEA5249301.jpeg
The name a stone could be given doesn’t sway me much,
if the color I can easily fall for is only apparent in a strictly controlled environment
F86942A3-D8D2-405F-87E9-086B8B9538EA.jpeg
Because the huge majority of the time /environment I saw of that same stone lends to this.

Yes- I know asking for the moon commands a higher price tag.
It still bears saying though.

Well, guess I'll see when tomorrow! Just wanted it put it out there :geek2:

Reactions: AV_

voce

Ideal_Rock
Going to see these two tomorrow...PS-ers, any thoughts?

Pics taken in indoor lighting. Top is heated and USD1500, 2ct, second one is also 2ct and unheated but USD2700. IMG_20190718_234644.jpg
I would describe both these as royal. But like, I wouldn't rule stones out just because they tip over into one subjective descriptor over another. The top stone looks more promising to me because of more evenness in the color. Although the lighter parts of the bottom stone are more cornflower than royal, overall it bothers me a little that you'd notice the difference in color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what's royal and what's cornflower since they are different from place to place.

Medium light tone?
Medium tone?
Medium dark tone? I'm guessing not this one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results