shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this Diamond?

gam3r

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking at my post. I am new to this all but I have done a fair bit of research, and I am looking to buy my first diamond ring.

The stone that I am looking at is as follows:

1.01‑carat Diamond, Round, X,X,X , H‑colour, VVS1‑clarity , faint florescence , price ~£5.5k

I've entered the details of the cut into the HCA calc and I get a 1.8 score, which I understand is quite good:

62.6% depth, 56% table, 36° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle.

Couple of questions, I appreciate some may be no brainers but please bare with a noobie:

1) The diamond has a few pin points. The diamond is VVS1 so these should not really be visible with the naked eye, is that correct?
2) The diamond has faint fluorescence, I've read that for stones below colour G this can help which is good. But is there anything else to be worried about regarding this?
3) How does the price seem to you guys? Compared to others of a similar category it seems to be well priced, its the only one I found with a good HCA score
4) Am I right in thinking a 1.8 is good on the HCA scale?

Thank you for your patience.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the stone is GIA graded.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gam3r|1464698309|4038423 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking at my post. I am new to this all but I have done a fair bit of research, and I am looking to buy my first diamond ring.

The stone that I am looking at is as follows:

1.01‑carat Diamond, Round, X,X,X , H‑colour, VVS1‑clarity , faint florescence , price ~£5.5k

I've entered the details of the cut into the HCA calc and I get a 1.8 score, which I understand is quite good:

62.6% depth, 56% table, 36° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle.

Couple of questions, I appreciate some may be no brainers but please bare with a noobie:

Hi gam3r,
1) The diamond has a few pin points. The diamond is VVS1 so these should not really be visible with the naked eye, is that correct?
VVS1 is very high in clarity and you should not be able to see a thing. You could even drop down to a VVS2 or VS1 and
there shouldnt be a problem
[/b]
2) The diamond has faint fluorescence, I've read that for stones below colour G this can help which is good. But is there anything else to be worried about regarding this?
Faint fluorescence will not be an issue. It will also not help the stone color either (it's not strong enough).
3) How does the price seem to you guys? Compared to others of a similar category it seems to be well priced, its the only one I found with a good HCA score
It's a good price
4)od on the HCA scale?
Anything 2 or below on the HCA is worth a further look. Have you seen any pictures of this stone? Do you have any to post?
Can you request an idealscope/Aset image and post. It's a tad deep. What is the diameter?

Thank you for your patience.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the stone is GIA graded.

gam3r

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've requested an images however I am not holding out for much as it's similar to blue nile.

Re the measurements its 6.41 x 6.39 x 4.01 mm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can't get images, then I would stick to the parameters below. This stone has numbers outside of what I consider the relatively safe zone for buying blind.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

gam3r

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1464705324|4038459 said:
If you can't get images, then I would stick to the parameters below. This stone has numbers outside of what I consider the relatively safe zone for buying blind.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Thanks. I found another stone which fits in this criteria, HCA score is 1.2
6.41 x 6.45 x 3.94 mm
1.01‑carat Diamond, Round, Ideal‑cut, H‑colour, VVS1‑clarity, no florescence , has pin point and feather inclusion, GIA, £5.8k
Table: 58
Depth: 61.4
Crown angle : 34
Pavilion angle: 40.8
6.41 - 6.45 x 3.94 mm

Would this be a safer bet? Its essentially £300 extra for those ideal dimensions and no fluorescence

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, those measurements are more safe! This is a situation where both stones could be great, or the first one could have leakage. But without the images, I'd have to choose the last one.

gam3r

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1464706413|4038466 said:
Yes, those measurements are more safe! This is a situation where both stones could be great, or the first one could have leakage. But without the images, I'd have to choose the last one.

Thanks. To the naked eye, would there be much between the stones? I'd imagine not really? I will probably end up going for the 2nd one, I'm just weighing it all up.

gam3r

Rough_Rock
So it looks like they can get me pictures of both diamonds! I will eagerly await them and post them on here for your expert evaluation!

gam3r

Rough_Rock
Here they are

The first diamond in my original post
d1_7.jpg

The second diamond with the better HCA/dimensions
d2_0.jpg

Thoughts?

gam3r

Rough_Rock
Bump - anyone had a chance to look at the above images yet? Thank you again!

gam3r

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Hmm I was thinking

And I know this has been asked multiple times.. I can get a H VS1 1.2ct for the same price... Dilemma!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results