shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on Lab Created Diamonds

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Also, I looked at Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gems. I did a search. Barely anything came up. I think a total of 3 stones in Diamonds by Lauren and they were all sold?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all for your advice! I'm actually looking to replace the man-made diamond in my engagement ring. We got it 15 years ago and were uneducated about diamonds. I always wondered why it looked small for a 1.50 round and why it barely sparkled. Now I know, but can't afford another man-made around that size with an excellent cut. So its a present for me :)

Well, if you are ready to get flooded with great recommendations, all we need is the following:

1. max budget
2. lowest color preference
3. lowest clarity preference
4. your location (if international, be sure to include VAT in your budget, if applicable in your country)
5. your preferred sellers, if any

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Well, if you are ready to get flooded with great recommendations, all we need is the following:

1. max budget
2. lowest color preference
3. lowest clarity preference
4. your location (if international, be sure to include VAT in your budget, if applicable in your country)
5. your preferred sellers, if any

Thank you! Ive actually looked at Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gems. It looks like there was nothing in stock. Is that typical?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Ive actually looked at Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gems. It looks like there was nothing in stock. Is that typical?

It can be...there are global supply constraints on just about everything, and diamonds are not an exception to that, unfortunately.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
James Allen has a huge selection.
They're also having a 10% off select labs right now.

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Also, (sorry for a million questions) Ive noticed LightBox is way cheaper than some of the sold stones on Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gems..? Also LightBox cheaper than James Allen's Lab Created.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I would reach out. Not all of their inventory is posted (I bought studs this week and my stones were not visible)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Also, (sorry for a million questions) Ive noticed LightBox is way cheaper than some of the sold stones on Diamonds by Lauren and Distinctive Gems..? Also LightBox cheaper than James Allen's Lab Created.

Primary reason is that Lightbox (standard quality) is near colorless (G-J), VS or better clarity, and Very Good cut quality...no third party grading labs are used, so customers accept that their diamonds will at least meet the minimum stated criteria for the 4Cs.
Their diamonds are grown with CVD and subjected to PGT to improve the color and clarity. With LGDs from other sellers, you get to hunt for your specific criteria: growth method, color, clarity, grading lab used, etc.

LightboxQuality.png

There are lots of folks here at PS with LightBox jewelry and they are extremely pleased!

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone!!!
Thank you for the mention:)
I can speak in general terms and specifically about us.
The massive database of diamonds is uploaded to the main sites.
Sites like ours ( and likely Jon's) are stones we've selected, as opposed to a mass upload.
This takes a lot more time..so there's no way to choose 50,000 stones.....but it does mean that the stones we've picked have already been vetted.
I know in our case- and I'm sure Jon- we can obtain pretty much any stone on the lists.
So reaching out to the individual seller can get you a lot more information and selection than what's shown on the site.

The only difference is that lab-created diamonds have no resealable value.

This is a common refrain- to which I respond....please send the worthless for re-sale lab grown diamonds here:)
Seriously- the math is pretty easy on this....
If a Natural one carat diamond is $6k, and the LG stone is $1200 ( or $800) there's so much less to recover....and I suspect there's already a lot of folks on Loupe Troop and other sites re-selling LG diamonds....

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The timing of your post is so funny because i was just reading up on this topic this morning! I have read conflicting things about it... but at the end of the day it's absolutely the same composition as a diamond, unlike the synthetic stones that some people can tell with the naked eye, not the case with lab diamonds because they're diamonds.

I think i have to agree with MMTwo, it's really just your mindset. I am someone who likes change and is NOT sentimental, I KNOW me, i might think my next ring will finally be "the one" - the forever ring... but knowing me ... it's possible i'll change it down the line. So for ME, the ONLY downside would be resale, the lab diamonds tend to have lower resale from what i read. So if you plan on buying it forever, and you're sentimental and know you'll never let it go, then heck yeah, get lab!! If you're like me and think you might want to sell down the line then you may be better with earth mined.

If I resell my natural diamond for 50% i will lose $7000. If I resell my lab diamond for 50% I will lose $2000. Which is the better deal?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If I were concerned about resale value, I wouldn't look at it like the examples posted above.

For me it would work like this:
I have a set amount to spend - let's say 5k.
What can I get for that 5k that would get me the most back should I choose to sell eventually.
In todays market that would still be a natural.

But I didn't buy my Blue HPHT looking to sell and I wouldn't buy another lab looking a the resale value either. So the return on my 5k wouldn't matter to me (at least not now).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At lab diamond prices I would gift the diamond before I would try to resell. My daughter in laws have already gotten pinks and blues for babies.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
At lab diamond prices I would gift the diamond before I would try to resell. My daughter in laws have already gotten pinks and blues for babies.

Gift or re-set, esp for larger stones.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What can I get for that 5k that would get me the most back should I choose to sell eventually.
In todays market that would still be a natural.

It's such an interesting subject....
About the $5k spent..... it would really depend on what.
A single, unset stone? In such a case, it seems you're correct...maybe.. is it easier to sell a 1.00 or a 2.00 for $5k?
If it's a ring, it's a different story as the money is proportioned a bit differently.....

But really- the entire discussion of resale value needs to be framed by the fact that, although they do hold more value than most consumer items we buy, neither LG or EM diamonds is a good financial investment- if that's the sole purpose of the investment.

Janetcecelia

Rough_Rock
Thanks. What's a good place on-line for lab grown?

James Allen - fantastic selection and lab diamonds are diamonds and they look identical to earth diamonds

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
James Allen - fantastic selection and lab diamonds are diamonds and they look identical to earth diamonds
I also wanted to add to the list of options- you can search multiple companies at once through Rare Carat.

I purchased through James Allen and through With Clarity and had good experiences with both.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results