shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on Lab Created Diamonds

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Would love some opinions from people who have natural and lab created. Can you tell the difference between the two? Or does the lab created look "fake" in some way? Or look like cz or moissanite rather than more like a natural diamond?

Thanks for any feedback!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

Not at all. My lab diamond and my earth mined diamonds are indistinguishable. Absolutely identical in terms of light performance and overall look. :)

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
2595F10D-ADB0-423C-BDF4-D035EED96240.jpeg

FD323C4B-5732-4B2E-A088-BC4C22094D10.jpeg

One of these is lab diamond and the other is earth mined. :) which is which? I wouldn’t know if I didn’t have my lap reports!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look the same because chemically they are the same. The only way to potentially tell the difference is the presence of "growth lines" which most lab diamonds dont have anyway (but some do, so worth checking for that)

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Thanks. What's a good place on-line for lab grown?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
For me, the only difference is between the ears. I have both. Not sure what I was expecting but they are all beautiful and indistinguishable. They are all diamond. All about the clarity and cut and color.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. What's a good place on-line for lab grown?

Distinctive Gem (Jon), or Diamonds By Lauren (David). I would trust either of them blindly to pick something with good light performance within budget.

For my lab diamond above, I emailed Jon and told him what color and size I wanted and he hand picked about 5-10 for me to choose from. I chose the one above :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
When I went shopping for my wife's 15 year anniversary upgrade, I looked at a LOT of natural grown and lab grown diamonds, many side-by-side.
Zero difference in appearance.
Because of that, it made the choice easy: get a heck of a lot more 4Cs bang for the buck by selecting an LGD (thankfully, my wife is totally open to LGDs).
You can visit the links in my signature to see it, as well as peruse all the other wonderful LGDs in those threads.
If you'd like help finding some excellent LGD candidates based on your budget and desires, then feel free to create a new thread:

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
They may have different types of inclusions due to the way they are produced, but as lovedogs stated, they are chemically identical to mined diamonds. Also, from my understanding colorless lab diamonds will not have florescence, whereas mined may.

An eye-clean mined and lab diamond with the same color, clarity, and cut should look indistinguishable to the naked eye.

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Distinctive Gem (Jon), or Diamonds By Lauren (David). I would trust either of them blindly to pick something with good light performance within budget.

For my lab diamond above, I emailed Jon and told him what color and size I wanted and he hand picked about 5-10 for me to choose from. I chose the one above :)

Thanks, who are Jon and David? Do they work for those companies? Thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, who are Jon and David? Do they work for those companies? Thank you!

They own those companies and are very active here, each offering help, advice, and decades of knowledge.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
The timing of your post is so funny because i was just reading up on this topic this morning! I have read conflicting things about it... but at the end of the day it's absolutely the same composition as a diamond, unlike the synthetic stones that some people can tell with the naked eye, not the case with lab diamonds because they're diamonds.

I think i have to agree with MMTwo, it's really just your mindset. I am someone who likes change and is NOT sentimental, I KNOW me, i might think my next ring will finally be "the one" - the forever ring... but knowing me ... it's possible i'll change it down the line. So for ME, the ONLY downside would be resale, the lab diamonds tend to have lower resale from what i read. So if you plan on buying it forever, and you're sentimental and know you'll never let it go, then heck yeah, get lab!! If you're like me and think you might want to sell down the line then you may be better with earth mined.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I'm very interested in getting a larger lab Asscher.

But my experiences via the pics I've seen in a specific SM group where lots of members get labs is: Blue nuance is very visible in their pics and videos.

Those growth/graining lines scare me as well. I saved a pic of a larger VVS stone that was hazy. It did not have fluorescence but it did have those lines when I zoomed in.
I would love to post them here but I don't think the owners would appreciate it.

My preference is HPHT with no post growth treatment and no Blue nuance in something around 2 carats, but I don't trust myself to get a good stone.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

EClove

Shiny_Rock
I'm very interested in getting a larger lab Asscher.

But my experiences via the pics I've seen in a specific SM group where lots of members get labs is: Blue nuance is very visible in their pics and videos.

Those growth/graining lines scare me as well. I saved a pic of a larger VVS stone that was hazy. It did not have fluorescence but it did have those lines when I zoomed in.
I would love to post them here but I don't think the owners would appreciate it.

My preference is HPHT with no post growth treatment and no Blue nuance in something around 2 carats, but I don't trust myself to get a good stone.

I just received my 2.6 carat Emerald Lab Diamond (VS1, H color, CVD type II, IGI cert) and it has absolutely no blue nuance, and no visible stria in the graining (not sure if I'm saying that right). Not an asscher obviously but a similar cut and characteristics. Attaching a photo as reference if it's helpful to you. ring.jpg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I just received my 2.6 carat Emerald Lab Diamond (VS1, H color, CVD type II, IGI cert) and it has absolutely no blue nuance, and no visible stria in the graining (not sure if I'm saying that right). Not an asscher obviously but a similar cut and characteristics. Attaching a photo as reference if it's helpful to you. ring.jpg
Oooo do you have a thread on this beauty? I would love to know where you got it!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Oooo do you have a thread on this beauty? I would love to know where you got it!
I do! I have only started 2 threads and they are both about my experience with the ring - let me know if you can't find it my clicking on my profile. I don't want to hijack this thread! Feel free to respond on one of those threads if you want any more info.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
The only difference is that lab-created diamonds have no resealable value. If purchasing for someone else, make sure they are ok with lab diamonds.

HurtinAlbertan

Rough_Rock
The only difference is that lab-created diamonds have no resealable value. If purchasing for someone else, make sure they are ok with lab diamonds.

Frankly if its a gift I don’t expect the person receiving the gift to have an interest in resale value. After all….it is a gift.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Frankly if its a gift I don’t expect the person receiving the gift to have an interest in resale value. After all….it is a gift.
I think @daisygrl was making two different points:
1. There's no real resale value.
2. Make sure the person you're getting it for is fine with lab diamonds.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

I was making two different points because you asked for opinions.
1. Resale value is non existent for lab-created diamonds.
2. Make sure a receiver is ok with lab-created diamonds - and that they understand what they are receiving is not a mined stone.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am so curious to see if a second hand market develops for high end LGs…

Examples
distinctive gem is offering a trade in policy on their LGs, which I don’t suspect they would do unless they believed in a resale market.
Similarly, we are seeing folks like Yoram cut LGs, and it is hard for me to believe that there would not be a resale market for work of that quality

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMHO, it depends on the recipient and the nature of the gift.

There are stories about recipients of lab/MMD rings throwing hissy fits when they found out the diamonds in their rings gifted to them by the SO/DH/whatever are not real/earth-mined diamonds, and they felt cheated.

Transparency is a good thing IMHO.

DK :))

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I have both and mixed both for my daily wearing. Cant tell them apart at all.

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your advice! I'm actually looking to replace the man-made diamond in my engagement ring. We got it 15 years ago and were uneducated about diamonds. I always wondered why it looked small for a 1.50 round and why it barely sparkled. Now I know, but can't afford another man-made around that size with an excellent cut. So its a present for me :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results