shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on K Color EC IF

tekkababy1

Rough_Rock
Hi. Can I have some opinions on this stone? My husband and I are shopping for a stone/ring for me. As almost ALL of my jewelry was stolen by a new cleaning person... :( I have picked this stone from JA. I love it. I have it on hold as is. I like warmer stones. I am going to see if JA or Danhov can set the crown lower, as I would like it as flush as possible to my finger without compromising the stone (if this is even possible). With the color and florescence of this stone, should I set in Yellow or White gold? I prefer Yellow gold. I have small hands, semi chunky fingers, ring size 6.

This is the diamond:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-if-clarity-sku-1848098

This is the setting:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/tension/14k-yellow-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-emerald-center-item-41502

Thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask for an ASET image. Even if you have to buy it first (and tell them to hold off on shipping it until you give your approval. It will eat a couple days into your return policy but it is worth it for the peace of mind).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do it in a yellow gold bezel. But I'd ask them if they can do a sandblast/matte finish.

tekkababy1

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Is the sandblasting personal preference? Will it make the ring look more vintage? I am partial to a more vintage look. From the GIA report, do you think $5290 is a good price for the stone? What will the ASET tell me?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. With fancies "cut" refers to the faceting pattern and the light performance of the stone.

There really is no other way to determine if you have a good fancy is to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile, as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds.

But even an ASET is not, ideally, in and of itself enough to make a selection of a fancy. You want still images. And you want a video.

Why? Well a still is like a nice close up of someone's face. You want to see the stone over all, in terms of shape, the crown and the pattern of the facets and the overall "look" of the stone. A nice video can substitute for that of course. But not all vendors have really good videos. And the more images you get of a stone, the better, honestly.

The video shows you how and where the stone is playing with the available light. It will show you how the stone lights up and dances, and since it's never still on your hand it's important to see the stone in motion if you can. That said with step cuts you have to be very careful of videos were the stone is lying on it's side (like the JA videos). Those are deceptive with step cuts and are NEVER enough to make a decision of selection for a step cut (whereas they can be for cushions, for example), you absolutely need an ASET in combination with of of those videos. If you can't get one for that stone, either have the stone called in for a vendor that will get you one like IDJ, GOG, or BGD, or WF or move on.

And the ASET, well, that's explained above.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sandblasting is more modern, to me. But the setting is very modern as well. If you want it to appear more antique, you could ask if they could add milgrain to that inner edge of the bezel and keep the polished finish. I like that setting and the price is very good. That appears to be a James Allen setting, not Danhov, though.

tekkababy1

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thank you on the ASET info. I will call JA and see if they will provide one for me, do they normally do this before a purchase? Also, the other vendors you mentioned, if I give them the stone info, they can pull it for me as well? Is that what you meant?

I have a jeweler here that can milgrain and sandblast for me. Probably a lot less than JA. Also JA told me that the stone will be set by Danhov. Is that true? You know, becasue I read it on the internet! lol.

Thank you again. I be back with ASET video if I can get my hands on one.

Also, I live in NYC. Would it be better to go to JA with my top three stones and look for myself? Would they provide me with ASET there? I am a alittle confused.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I would not sandblast if you are looking for vintage... I would do in platinum and add milgrain as Diamond seeker suggested. I hope the ASET looks good bc the stone looks beautiful and is also a nice size for that price :)

tekkababy1

Rough_Rock
More stones added! Opinion on K Color EC IF

Hi. So I am going to JA this week to look at these 3 stones. The first, I already posted. But here are all 3. I am hoping to make my decision by going there. These are my favs in ranked from 1-3. What's everyone's thoughts?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-if-clarity-sku-1848098

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/brown/emerald-cut/1.61-carat-sku-787675

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.41-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-1779490

Thanks!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not an expert but I like both the J and the K and both are pretty equal "face up size". I'm not crazy about the Brown but that truly is a personal preference. I also own a K IF just a little larger that I love. I hope they wow you in person!

tekkababy1

Rough_Rock
thank you! excited to go and see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results