shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on diamond for engagement ring

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that 5k USD stone! I think that may be the one!
You’re amazing I spent hours looking and didn’t turn up either that or the 1 carat JA!

Do you think there is much difference between colour H and I? In the shops looking I can’t really seem to tell the difference, much more interested in a great cut for a nice sparkle.

Love that 6 prong solitaire setting from WF, that’s the one I had my eye on. The JA one is really nice too, I’m also of the preference of not getting a high set ring.

I do like the the JA one too, checked with them no IS available and has strong fluorescence which makes me hesitant.
Great! Get that WF stone on HOLD!!

OZDoc

Rough_Rock
Premium
Got it on hold :D

WF consultants are actually recommending the 0.862 carat which I also had on hold..
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3964549.htm

Saying it’s a very clean SI2, has a colour upgrade while “providing significant savings but providing a similar overall face up diameter to the .913ct (as the difference in diameter will be less than 1/10th of a millimeter).”

Now they’ve made the decision a bit harder! Are they overstating the similarities do you think?

Unusual to see a store recommending their cheaper option!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smaller diamonds show increased spread more than larger ones. Here's how those two stones look on a size 61/2 finger. So, its really a choice between a bit of size or a bit less body color.

What does your girl do professionally? What about her hobbies? Is she the kind of girl that has to match "just" the right shade in nails, clothes, paint? Is she in an artistic field? Does she use words like "ecru, greige and sandstone" or are they all beige? That can give you some insight on her color acuity.

upload_2018-4-13_17-59-39.png

OZDoc

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hmm. She’s a travel agent, so not really an artistic job. Definitely does spend a bit of time matching shades of colour etc.

I think I’ll go the 0.862, I’m sure both stones will look fantastic!

Thanks so much for all your help, you’ve been amazing!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. She’s a travel agent, so not really an artistic job. Definitely does spend a bit of time matching shades of colour etc.

I think I’ll go the 0.862, I’m sure both stones will look fantastic!

Thanks so much for all your help, you’ve been amazing!
It was a tough choice, but I think you'll be thrilled. And...she will be thrilled with a super-ideal stone. It will be a sparkle bomb. Send pics when you get it!

p.s. Don't forget to ask for claw prongs on the setting.

OZDoc

Rough_Rock
Premium
It was a tough choice, but I think you'll be thrilled. And...she will be thrilled with a super-ideal stone. It will be a sparkle bomb. Send pics when you get it!

p.s. Don't forget to ask for claw prongs on the setting.

Very excited to get it! Will definitely post some photos.
Thanks again for all your help, I’m certain I would have paid more for an inferior stone from a shop otherwise!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to come in and congratulate you on your choice. :) I think you chose well. Most people will say that an H faces up white in a well-cut diamond, but once you get to the I level there starts to be a bit of a discrepancy. Some people still can't see the color, whereas others start to see a slight tint at certain angles when viewing an I face up.

Since you're not exactly sure of your girlfriend's color sensitivity, the H is definitely the safer choice.

Come back and post photos of the completed ring. :)

OZDoc

Rough_Rock
Premium
Update:
Ring has arrived and I love it!
Absolute sparkle bomb! Definitely happy I went with the super idea stone!
Very, very happy.
Photos don’t do it justice but here are a couple.

Thanks so much everyone for your help, especially @rockysalamander
You guys are the best!

4083BA59-59C8-4E8B-A5DF-B512C2457023.jpeg
8A1F1E47-4D2E-412B-9746-34D2115C1A19.jpeg

Attachments

• B2050746-764B-4814-B68E-3D348DC099C7.jpeg
    B2050746-764B-4814-B68E-3D348DC099C7.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 8

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous and so glad you're happy!!! Thank you so much for coming back and showing us photos!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! So pretty. Hand-shots when you get a "yes" please.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results