shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on diamond for e-ring please

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the stone size you are looking at, I would definitely go with a thicker ring. Read through this thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/

I would definitely consider a G stone unless you/your gf is really color sensitive and hate even a slight tint.

This video shows how slight the color difference really is. Use it only as a reference to how small the grade changes are and not how it will actually look as color difference may be exaggerated depending on how good your computer display is.

http://vimeo.com/3288695

Nope, do not use the HCA that way. :p

philw007

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the videos...the color video was helpful!

In order to find more stones,I expanded my search to include f-h color and going vs2-si1. What do you feel about these 2 stones?

JA True Hearts H/VS2
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1315167.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

WF ACA G/SI1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2564425.htm

Instead of the original JA True Hearts F/VS2 (already commented on)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1279568.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

I'm wondering if it may be a better value as she won't be able to tell the color/clarity difference is my guess?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both look good to me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto - those also look like beautiful options :sun:

philw007

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies stone cold and yssie!

JA got back to me...they will do the setting my gf likes (thin) with a 2 ct!

So...makes me think I should stick with JA for the convenience?

Which stone would YOU choose? I am not sure if I can see the difference between F-G-H when set... Against paper face down, I think I can see difference between F and H, but it's difficult. I don't think the gf really cares much about the actual diamond tbh...cares more a bout the setting :razz:

1. JA TH - 2.01 / F / VS2 / $29.9 comments: hearts with some asymmetry and clefts...3rd best
2. WF ACA - 2.078 / G / SI1 / $25.4 comments: better hearts, but still little clefts between several...best of the 3?
3. JA TH - 2.09 / H / VS2 / $24.7 comments: 2nd best of the 3?...still some clefts and asymmetry

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no worries about green area in center. the G/VS2 looks nice!

philw007

Rough_Rock
ty slg...found the setting at both wf and ja...now going back to picking the stone. I thought I was done...sigh!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JA 2.04 G VS2 8.13-8.16 $28k nice hearts & IS, AGS ASET map fine
JA 2.09 H VS2 8.29-8.32 $25k nice hearts, request IS just for extra confirmation, AGS ASET map fine, I think will be visibly bigger than the others
JA 2.01 F VS2 8.04-8.09 Dec09 hearts could be better, IS fine, older report - is it a trade-in? If so you will need an appraisal done within return period, I think will be visibly smaller than the H and possibly the WF G depending on your visual acuity
WF ACA G SI1 8.16-8.19 $25k, hearts/IS/ASET look nice

Is the WF eyeclean to your specifications? If so I think that one gets my vote - no point in paying for higher clarity than you can appreciate, if you don't see the colour difference between an F and a G in this size no point paying extra for higher colour than you will appreciate either - the G SI1 is at a nice pricepoint and IS/hearts are nice, and if WF also has a setting that will meet your requirements no worries about different vendor doing the setting.

philw007

Rough_Rock
Thanks again yssie...I did find a setting that she will like with both ja and wf. Thanks for the evals!

The wf site says eyeclean...no idea if its clean enough to my specs...concerned that I will be able to see the diff. Arrgh...didn't notice that the f/vs2 had an older cert...

Then talked to her best friend...she says she would not go lower than f/vs2...:( I was thinking of going with the h/vs2 or the g/si1 also! And now i'm concerned about the original f/vs2 :(

My gf doesn't care which one I get...wish there were some more choices in the f/vs2/2ct range :( I would prefer to stay with f/vs2, but like the look of the h/vs2 and the g/si1 better...

Yssie|1297986697|2854279 said:
JA 2.04 G VS2 8.13-8.16 $28k nice hearts & IS, AGS ASET map fine
JA 2.09 H VS2 8.29-8.32 $25k nice hearts, request IS just for extra confirmation, AGS ASET map fine, I think will be visibly bigger than the others
JA 2.01 F VS2 8.04-8.09 Dec09 hearts could be better, IS fine, older report - is it a trade-in? If so you will need an appraisal done within return period, I think will be visibly smaller than the H and possibly the WF G depending on your visual acuity
WF ACA G SI1 8.16-8.19 $25k, hearts/IS/ASET look nice

Is the WF eyeclean to your specifications? If so I think that one gets my vote - no point in paying for higher clarity than you can appreciate, if you don't see the colour difference between an F and a G in this size no point paying extra for higher colour than you will appreciate either - the G SI1 is at a nice pricepoint and IS/hearts are nice, and if WF also has a setting that will meet your requirements no worries about different vendor doing the setting.

philw007

Rough_Rock
Ok....to stay mind clean, i'm gonna call ja tomorrow to make sure the f/vs2 is not a trade in...and stick with the first choice as long as its "new".

TwinkleStar

Shiny_Rock
Good luck, Phil! I'm sure whichever one you choose will be amazing, and she will love it!

I'm also wrestling with what's going to be "mind-clean" for me balanced with everything else I would love in a stone, and I found that it gives me perspective to think about the stone not just now when you get engaged but 10, 20, 30 years from now and possibly to pass down to the next generation.

Let us know what you pick!

philw007

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

It is the mind clean aspect esp for the 10-20-30 yrs that is making me go back to the f/vs2. The only problem is there is only 1 hna stone in the 2 ct range.

Will be making a call to make sure the stone is not a trade in this am.

One last comparison for you all...thanks for your patience!

Looking at a WF ACA 1.79 ct f/vs1...again to give myself more options...hearts look good to me...cut specs look good. Your opinion? And opinion between this smaller stone vs the ja f/vs2 2ct?

Thanks much in advance!

philw007

Rough_Rock
JA says the 2.01 f/vs2 is not a trade in.

I was looking at the picture of the diamond itself...is the blurriness because it is out of focus? When I compare the pic to other diamonds, the arrow pattern seems much grainier/blurry. Do I need a retake or just trust it is sl. out of focus?

Almost pulling trigger!

Thanks.

philw007

Rough_Rock
Just pulled the trigger on the original ja true hearts f/vs2 2.01 ct with the thin french cut setting...money has just been wired. Thanks to everyone who helped me to make my decision...esp yssie, slg, and stone! Went with this one to stay mind clean as opposed to a more value stone from wf h/si1.

Hope to receive it early next week!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ohh I think it is going to be beautiful! please post pictures when you get it :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results