carat
color
clarity

Opal rings - how do they last?

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Hi wonderful PSers!

There’s something I would love to rely on your knowledge and experience again—
So I happened to see an opal that I really like, but having never had one, I’m a bit concerned by all the info online saying it is soft and relatively brittle. I would prefer to have a ring (what’s the point of having all those changing the colors if you can’t observe it right?!), but I don’t want to risk losing the beauty of it at least before many many years later. Can people share their experience or advice on opal rings? Thank you a lot!
And here’s pics of it under bright and soft light respectively:
F01441FF-6713-4F3A-9A47-E9FB2820C6D7.jpeg
2A265E10-C1CC-4880-BBE3-003E52315AB5.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a few types of opal but the main “colourful” ones are Australian Opal and Ethiopian Opal.
Opal is around 5.5 to 6.5 on Mohos.
Thanks relatively soft. Not an everyday wearing ring.
Is the opal in the photo crystal opal or Ethiopian Opal?
The big issue with Ethiopian opal is that it is hydrophane, it absorbs water easily which causes the colour play to fade but once dried out, the colour returns. However, skin oils, creams and perfume etc can also be absorbed into the Opal and that doesn’t come back out. So much care is needed with Ethiopian Opal to avoid creams and oils.
Australian Opal is more stable (and more expensive) but again, in a ring it would be a “special occasion” type wearing not frequent / daily as many surfaces are higher hardness ie the opal will scratch / wear.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Is that a Mexican opal? Opals need to be babied. I haven’t worn mine since the pandemic started given all the hand washing and sanitizer. That said, they are so pretty so am really looking forward to wearing them again.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
There are a few types of opal but the main “colourful” ones are Australian Opal and Ethiopian Opal.
Opal is around 5.5 to 6.5 on Mohos.
Thanks relatively soft. Not an everyday wearing ring.
Is the opal in the photo crystal opal or Ethiopian Opal?
The big issue with Ethiopian opal is that it is hydrophane, it absorbs water easily which causes the colour play to fade but once dried out, the colour returns. However, skin oils, creams and perfume etc can also be absorbed into the Opal and that doesn’t come back out. So much care is needed with Ethiopian Opal to avoid creams and oils.
Australian Opal is more stable (and more expensive) but again, in a ring it would be a “special occasion” type wearing not frequent / daily as many surfaces are higher hardness ie the opal will scratch / wear.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful. This is a Mexican opal, so it’s not hydroplane I guess? Would a polish return a scratched opal to previous look?

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Is that a Mexican opal? Opals need to be babied. I haven’t worn mine since the pandemic started given all the hand washing and sanitizer. That said, they are so pretty so am really looking forward to wearing them again.

Yes it’s a Mexican opal. I impulse-buyed because so pretty, but I am not very good at babying the stuff (part of why I stuck to the tougher stones so far). Do scratches look that obvious on a cab?
Hope everything can return to normal but from the looks of it it’s going to be a long while… do you have pictures of your opals in your CS thread? I’d love to see them!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
As a teenager my mom gave me an opal ring that she wore everyday for years. She had completely scratched the top layer off where all the color was leaving it just white and opaque. Thankfully it was a small 7x5 mm pear shape with a diamond halo and I easily replaced the stone for just a few dollars in the early 90s. I handed it down to my daughter when she turned 16.

My pinfire opal ring I have only worn out a few times because I baby it ( set it spring 2020). I have reached for it mostly when I know there will be beautiful lighting like in a museum because she sparkles like a disco ball and I enjoy it so much. But it is big with a high dome and I worry about knocking it on something.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I love opals but also hesitate because of their fragility. I'm thinking I'll eventually get one but have it set in a necklace. I might also get it prong set so it would be easy to replace with a lab stone if it did break. I'll just have to drool over it when I'm not wearing it or else look in the mirror all day!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
A9C29FC8-867E-47B4-AE53-3EBFA1B126AC.jpeg

mexican, Peruvian and black opals

Do pop by the opals thread. There are some lovely examples there.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
As a teenager my mom gave me an opal ring that she wore everyday for years. She had completely scratched the top layer off where all the color was leaving it just white and opaque. Thankfully it was a small 7x5 mm pear shape with a diamond halo and I easily replaced the stone for just a few dollars in the early 90s. I handed it down to my daughter when she turned 16.

My pinfire opal ring I have only worn out a few times because I baby it ( set it spring 2020). I have reached for it mostly when I know there will be beautiful lighting like in a museum because she sparkles like a disco ball and I enjoy it so much. But it is big with a high dome and I worry about knocking it on something.

It’s really sweet to have something handed down the family:)
I guess it will have to be an occasional ring as well as well as not getting too many opals…

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I love opals but also hesitate because of their fragility. I'm thinking I'll eventually get one but have it set in a necklace. I might also get it prong set so it would be easy to replace with a lab stone if it did break. I'll just have to drool over it when I'm not wearing it or else look in the mirror all day!

I know but just want to stare at it all the time… Prong set so easy to change seems like a good idea, though while it’s there it offers less protection than bezel.
This is hard. I may also have to just drool over it when not wearing haha.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A9C29FC8-867E-47B4-AE53-3EBFA1B126AC.jpeg

mexican, Peruvian and black opals

Do pop by the opals thread. There are some lovely examples there.

i had no idea not all Aussies love opals ?
i know for some -(including the royal family it seems) think they are supersticouse

edit i think that is a question for @Bron357

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful rings @icy_jade !!!
Thank you! Opals are so pretty right.

I know but just want to stare at it all the time… Prong set so easy to change seems like a good idea, though while it’s there it offers less protection than bezel.
This is hard. I may also have to just drool over it when not wearing haha.
Yes exactly. I just love to look at the play of color.

Re being careful, I think it takes a bit of time but you do develop a physical sense of your rings/bangles after a while. Like I did knock mine quite a bit the first week or so of wearing rings/bangle but now I hardly do. So maybe wear your hardier rings first and once you find yourself less accident prone, you can start wearing bigger, etc.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Opals are so pretty right.

Yes exactly. I just love to look at the play of color.

Re being careful, I think it takes a bit of time but you do develop a physical sense of your rings/bangles after a while. Like I did knock mine quite a bit the first week or so of wearing rings/bangle but now I hardly do. So maybe wear your hardier rings first and once you find yourself less accident prone, you can start wearing bigger, etc.

Good idea, I will do that. I knocked my first ring two times the first day I got it (luckily not too hard), it was bad for the heart.
And I just realized I didn’t send out my comment on your beautiful rings, must have been too mesmerized:) love the big black opal!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Good idea, I will do that. I knocked my first ring two times the first day I got it (luckily not too hard), it was bad for the heart.
And I just realized I didn’t send out my comment on your beautiful rings, must have been too mesmerized:) love the big black opal!
Aww thank you. I think you will love my Mexican in the right lighting give that you couldn’t resist one… they only look fab indoors under lights tho.

Pics:
My new to me Mexican opal 3.19 ct with 0.7 ct diamonds in platinum setting:
66AC2312-8F7B-4306-B37D-80BC58D91174.jpeg
4FA2EFA9-9456-4269-B607-E3CC11250E10.jpeg

I can’t capture the rainbowy color play that I see irl in some lighting that is so captivating. Clearer not so blurry flashes versus the pic above.

I love opals but also hesitate because of their fragility.

I sort of don’t expect forever you know? For electronics they only last 2-5 years maybe and cost thousands so for some items so why do we hold gems to such high standards of forever. If they bring joy and you are able to baby them when wearing, I think it is fine. Don’t do housework or anything. Frankly, they look great even if I just display them on the desk when I WFH.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I sort of don’t expect forever you know? For electronics they only last 2-5 years maybe and cost thousands so for some items so why do we hold gems to such high standards of forever. If they bring joy and you are able to baby them when wearing, I think it is fine. Don’t do housework or anything. Frankly, they look great even if I just display them on the desk when I WFH.

Good points. Also, I have a few pearl rings that I don't think twice about when they're even softer so go figure. :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two opal rings in our family. One is a lovely pinfire -- mostly red -- worn for special occasions by a careful relative for many decades. It is immaculate. A second was worn day-in/day-out by a hard-wearing relative. It was pretty much her only piece of jewelry apart from a simple gold bracelet. It's big and semi-protected by a heavy, free-form gold bezel. It also looks perfect after many decades of near-constant wear.

I don't think you need to go too crazy.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Aww thank you. I think you will love my Mexican in the right lighting give that you couldn’t resist one… they only look fab indoors under lights tho.

Pics:

I love your Mexican opal. I love your black opal. They are all so gorgeous:D
You have a good point there. I guess it might have something to do with diamond is forever. (And also the need to justify to myself about buying something expensive)

Timor

Shiny_Rock
There are two opal rings in our family. One is a lovely pinfire -- mostly red -- worn for special occasions by a careful relative for many decades. It is immaculate. A second was worn day-in/day-out by a hard-wearing relative. It was pretty much her only piece of jewelry apart from a simple gold bracelet. It's big and semi-protected by a heavy, free-form gold bezel. It also looks perfect after many decades of near-constant wear.

I don't think you need to go too crazy.

Thank you! Really happy to hear that :D I think I will just go for what I want and enjoy it for as long as I can. Now I feel more reassured it would not be so bad.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’m glad you asked this. My next wedding anniversary gemstone is Opal and I also want a ring. But I’m nervous of cracking it off something. Thanks for the thread.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I’m glad you asked this. My next wedding anniversary gemstone is Opal and I also want a ring. But I’m nervous of cracking it off something. Thanks for the thread.

Glad it could help other people who have the same dilemma! I wonder if it made you decide for or against a ring? Either way, congrats on the coming anniversary and do show us what you got in the end (if you want to that is:)

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
For electronics they only last 2-5 years maybe and cost thousands so for some items so why do we hold gems to such high standards of forever.

That's not entirely true, though. Electronics can last quite a bit more than 2 years and definitely more than 5. The batteries in said electronics are what goes this quickly, but batteries are consumables and can be replaced. The reason people nowadays buy a new phone every 2-3 years has nothing to do with how long the electronics in the device can last and be functional.

Furthermore, to continue using phones as an example, those are man-made by the millions in a matter of weeks and can easily be replaced. A gem is made by nature over the scope of millions of years and is mostly unique. If we're talking lab gems - then sure, we can equate them to easily replaceable consumer goods. But not with natural stones, I think.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope my black opal ring will last forever. I try taking good care of it and being gentle with it. It's a work of art and I would be sad if it got destroyed. I am separated from it right now but as soon as I return to our first home I am getting it to keep it with me.

My parents got this at the Cartier store on fifth avenue in 1972.
Gave it to me around 10? years ago.
It's still going strong.

cartierblackopalwinter.png

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I hope my black opal ring will last forever. I try taking good care of it and being gentle with it. It's a work of art and I would be sad if it got destroyed. I am separated from it right now but as soon as I return to our first home I am getting it to keep it with me.

My parents got this at the Cartier store on fifth avenue in 1972.
Gave it to me around 10? years ago.
It's still going strong.

cartierblackopalwinter.png

Wow. This is just breathtaking! I think you would not be the only one heartbroken if something ever happens to this beauty… may I ask if you ever needed to “repolish” the stone or anything during these years?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. This is just breathtaking! I think you would not be the only one heartbroken if something ever happens to this beauty… may I ask if you ever needed to “repolish” the stone or anything during these years?

Thank you. So far we have not done anything to the stone. When my parents gave it to me we had Cartier resize it as my mom's ring finger is a size 4 and mine is a 6.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. So far we have not done anything to the stone. When my parents gave it to me we had Cartier resize it as my mom's ring finger is a size 4 and mine is a 6.

I remember reading a post previously that you "water" your opal occasionally? Care to share your routine?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember reading a post previously that you "water" your opal occasionally? Care to share your routine?

Yes of course. I use distilled water on a cotton pad and put the cotton pad in a sealed plastic bag with my Opal. So it won’t dry out.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I have been following this thread because I bought a pre-owned Opal on eBay. The color play is Lovely,but it has a dull finish. Can it be re-polished? Forgive the thread Jack, please.

Attachments

• 0556CFFC-3A56-4904-8E60-EB3E5A38C9DD.jpeg
    0556CFFC-3A56-4904-8E60-EB3E5A38C9DD.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 9
  • E808F939-4705-422A-8F61-E5D6EFBD789F.jpeg
    E808F939-4705-422A-8F61-E5D6EFBD789F.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 1236B043-0B5B-49F1-9F1A-8DD09210B35E.jpeg
    1236B043-0B5B-49F1-9F1A-8DD09210B35E.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 10
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results