shape
carat
color
clarity

Oops! Another one slipped into my ebay cart

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I was done with my collection since I already have way more rings than ring fingers, but I still had a hankering for an OMC. I have the five-stone with some little OMCs and they are so cute, but it seems that you really need at least 3/4 carat to really appreciate the faceting. I didn't have any interest in anything huge or expensive, but more something to wear as a RHR or an alternate, smaller engagement ring (smaller than my 2.06 oval, larger than the 1/3 ct. baby engagement ring I wear as an alternate), and my price point was about $2K.

I don't even look at ebay all that much any more, but for some reason I visited last Thursday and looked at mydiamondzone. There was a .98 OMC in a platinum setting that's the style that I like, and under $2K, so I bought it. It went into the mail Tuesday, should have been here yesterday or perhaps today. Tracking info showed it going through the Chicago sort facility Tuesday afternoon and then nothing until this morning. It arrived in Cleveland OH this morning and is out for delivery. Only I don't live in Cleveland OH, I live in Louisiana.

I hope that there was some sort of mix-up and I was sent someone else's tracking number and they were sent mine (so there's some poor soul in Cleveland lamenting the fact that their treasure is vacationing in Louisiana). I don't know what's going to happen if my ring really was shipped to OH!

I'd not planned to post until the ring was in my hot little hands, but I'm so frustrated right now that I have to share with someone.

It's very similar to the 3/4 ct. OEC I got from DZ this time last year, although I suspect it will look a little smaller because the head is small, and that's okay. That 3/4 ct. looks absolutely HUGE for its size because of the mounting. I definitely have a mounting style preference.

Here are vendor photos of the ring. In the first photo, the table looks more than a little wonky, but it's not head-on. I don't mind wonk as long as it's sparkly. The table looks more regular in the side view.

liz

dz11.jpg

dz12.jpg

dz13.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Libby -- -just *HOW* do these little accidents keep happening??? ;)) :wink2: ;))

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is beautiful! I can't wait to see it on your hand and hear what you think of it! I really like that style - its so well balanced with good finger coverage. I wonder if Cleveland is a sorting facility? I wouldn't worry - it will get there!!

(Now stay off of ebay...!! lol!!!)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

Cleveland is a sort facility, but it's out for delivery in Cleveland. I'd hoped that there was just a mix up with the confirmation numbers, but there was no ring delivery at my house today. I'm feeling sick now because if this is my ring, there's no telling what address it's going to or who's going to get it. I can only hope that it isn't what that person wants and they'll return it, but that's just that much more delay in my getting it.

And the mydiamondzone people don't have store hours today so I can't even call them.

If this one speaks to me when I get it, I think I'm done. It ticked the boxes (OMC, larger than 3/4 ct. but not too large, platinum setting in the style I prefer, within budget). The only other thing I was thinking about getting was an engraved yellow gold antique wedding band, but I don't wear the YG OMC five-stone it would pair with enough to worry about looking hard. It would have to be my size and a real bargain. YG engraved bands don't seem to be common and I have a size 8.25 finger.

Oh, I forgot to list the (supposed) specs: .98 OMC (claims "known weight"), F VVS2 (but I'm happy with J, K, or L and eye clean anything and my definition of eye clean is pretty lenient) with six 1 pt. single cuts. They're saying the ring measure 6 mm across, so it's smallish for a 1 ct. diamond, but I'd expect that with an OMC and it doesn't bother me. It's not like I'm paying the price of a 1 ct. ideal cut diamond.

liz

P.S. I was sorely tempted by that cute little antique marquise in preloved but I'm glad someone snapped it up. I wouldn't have enjoy the process of getting it set.

uspsomc.jpg

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Can you tell me what a smaller OEC looks like or point to any pictures of your other rings? I'm thinking about buying an OEC ring that has severa diamonds of about 1/4 a carat.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Alyssa,

I don't have anything with an OEC the size you are looking at.

Here's the thread for the 3/4 ct. OEC: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vintage-8-ct-oec-e-ring.172564/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vintage-8-ct-oec-e-ring.172564/[/URL]

Here's one for a six-stone OEC band (listed by seller as OMC), but the diamonds are maybe 5-6 pt.: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1940s-diamond-band.172517/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1940s-diamond-band.172517/[/URL]

And here's one of a five-stone OMC (listed by seller as OEC) with the center stone between .2 and .3 ct.: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/five-stone-oec-on-the-way-from-the-uk.173300/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/five-stone-oec-on-the-way-from-the-uk.173300/[/URL]

If you have very good eyes, you may be able to see the facet pattern without a loupe, but I have middle-aged eyes and I can't see the pattern without reading glasses and only if it's at least 3/4 ct.

liz

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Libby, thank you so much. That's very helpful!

What's most helpful to me is seeing the difference in size between vendor photos and your hand photos (in the last thread). I've considered buying rings from that vendor but was unsure how they would look in real life (especially since you can't zoom her photos). Your thread demonstrates that beautifully. I adore that ring, you have excellent taste!!!

Do you find that your small OECs have the colorful flashes of light, even if you can't see the facet pattern? That's what I'm really looking for.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
libby I like the way you always seem to have those type of accidents lol,it's a very nice one by the way. Did you contact the post office to see what went on? Click on the proof of delivery and print it so you have proof that it was delivered not only to the wrong address but the wrong state. Do'nt stress out too much I'm sure it'll be all sorted out soon. xo

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Alyssa,

Yes, the little OECs and OMCs have beautiful pastel flashes of light. That's one reason that I want a decent-sized OMC. I prefer the facet pattern and sparkle of old-cut diamonds to modern-cut ones for some reason. I have a beautiful 1920s-1930s engagement ring that has a 1/2 ct. MRB in it and it's in a safe deposit box because I prefer the OEC I bought to that one.

Cluless,

I have e-mailed the USPS but it's the weekend. I've e-mailed mydiamondzone, but it's the weekend and they don't have weekend hours. So far, the USPS web site is just showing "out for delivery". Maybe it won't actually be delivered. Maybe it got stuck on the truck and the carrier will discover that it's in the wrong state and will send it on its way.

Argh!!!! I just wish I knew what has happened. It could be that the USPS routed it the wrong way. In that case, it won't be delivered and it will eventually get here (maybe). Or maybe the tracking number emails got mixed up. I just hope that my ring won't be delivered to someone else. If it's another DZ customer, maybe they will be just as unhappy as I am because they will get something that isn't what they ordered and paid for. But it could also end up with someone who decides to keep it and good luck with the USPS getting it back from them.

liz

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Liz,

Where you see proof of delivery in blue on the right hand side, click on that and usually shows if it's been signed for.If it is please print( don't know how long they keep that on site) it that's your proof that you didn't receive it.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Cluless,

The USPS web site now says that it was delivered at 10:32 this morning and signed for by someone named P CACHAT.

I hate that it's the weekend and I can't talk to the vendor. I hope that I was sent the wrong tracking number and that my ring will get here, but I just have this sick feeling that my ring got sent to someone else.

liz

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Libby if DZ sent it to the wrong person they are at fault and you don't have to worry. Worst case you lose out on that ring, but you will get back your money. I suspect they sent you the wrong tracking though.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D,

I hope you are right about the tracking number. I just don't know how automated everything is as far as DZ's system tying in to ebay and USPS.

I paid them to resize the ring, figuring that if I really hated it, I'd just eat the resizing cost. Their charge is MUCH less than local jewelers charge so I just took a chance.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
This is scary. The signature is Phil Cachat. There's only one person with that name in OH and his myspace page is a little bit scary. Doesn't look like what I'd think of as your typical DZ jewelry buyer. Hope it's not my ring that got delivered to him.

http://www.myspace.com/cachat65

cachat.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh Libby!! this is very stressful!!

I hope once you can talk to DZ on Monday (or Tuesday) that they can sort it all out for you --- or in the mean time, your actual ring is on its way and this is just a typo on the tracking number. I had that happen once - there was an issue with the wrong number being sent to me and the last 2 digits had been transposed. I did get my purchase but it scared the CRAP out of me as I watched (what I thought was MY purchase) go off to another part of the world!

(and... Maybe Phil is a great guy after all and is really a PSer--- ya never know! :D )

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

I hope you are right about the tracking number.

If you read Phil's profile, I think you'll conclude that he's probably not a PSer, but you never know...

I went home this evening to pick up some things I'd forgotten and the USPS had left a message on my answering machine, telling me my package had been delivered. Um, I had made a query about a package that I hadn't received and apparently the USPS employee to not notice that it was delivered to an address in OH and I do not live in OH and the person who called me from my local PO isn't in OH, either.

DZ has M-F hours so I will be calling them Monday morning as soon as they are open.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
It's kind of good news/not-so-good news. The good news is that the tracking number was not MY tracking number and my ring has not been delivered to someone else. The not-so-good news is that it still hasn't been resized (I'm opting for that and will just eat the cost of resizing if I decide to send it back because it will cost a lot more to have it resized locally) so won't be mailed until today or tomorrow (not that mailing it today would do any good since it's a holiday). So much for their claim of 3-4 day service on resizing, we're into day 6 already... I'll be out of town this weekend so if it's not here by Friday, I won't get to see it until Sunday night.

But at least it's safe!

liz

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Liz, glad that it's safe and it was just a mix-up, sorry to hear you have to wait a little longer for her but in the end I'm sure it would have all been worth it. Can't wait to see hand shots!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
PHEW!! What a relief!! I'm so glad that your ring is still *YOUR* ring and it is yet to arrive... but that is a bummer that their turn around time is not as promised. Oh well - in the long run, what's a few extra days - at least you WILL be getting your own ring!!

Yay! I'm happy it will all work out in the end!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
It will be shipped USPS so there's still plenty of room for screwups. Sometimes USPS amazes me with their speedy delivery, but the poor guy in Cleveland waited four days from shipping to arrival for his item, and that's two cities that are less than 400 miles apart. One little ring I bought went through a PA sort facility three times in a week and a half before it finally made it out of PA.

This is a short week for USPS and I'm not sure I will be home Friday if delivery is that day (mail delivery times are all over the map at my house, from late morning to late afternoon) because I have a faculty meeting (which I may be able to skip since it's related to our graduate program, and I'm not involved in that). If it's Saturday, I won't get it until Monday because it's signature required. (Just realized I wouldn't see it Sunday night.)

If they'll mail tomorrow, if they'll use Priority, and if USPS gets a wiggle on, it might be here Thursday, when I'll be home all day to sign for it. But the pessimist in me isn't counting on any of that.

I hope it's worth the wait and there won't be any unpleasant surprises!

liz

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring and diamond and hope it arrives at its new home soon. I have to say, I'm really curious to know what Phil Cachat bought from Diamondzone :lol:

I am looking for a platinum setting like yours - do you happen to know whether the setting is original or a repro? TIA.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux,

Based on the wear, I'd say it's original. However, the setting is likely newer than the diamond since diamond is OMC and setting is Art Deco. Here's what the vendor says: Even though the diamond is over 100 years old, this vintage platinum ring is believed to be from the late art deco period.

Did you see this setting on LT? http://loupetroop.com/listings/settings/platinum-and-baguette-mounting-size-6

It's similar. Don't know how old it is, though, or whether it would fit whatever you are looking to set.

Like you, I'm curious about what Phil bought from DZ. His Myspace page may be several years told. Maybe he's grown up a bit and is proposing to his girlfriend :bigsmile:.

liz

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LibbyLA|1361275243|3384127 said:
Like you, I'm curious about what Phil bought from DZ. His Myspace page may be several years told. Maybe he's grown up a bit and is proposing to his girlfriend :bigsmile:.

I like this idea ::)

I hope you get your ring soon, safe and sound!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Turns out that they do not ship anything over about $1000 via USPS. Now why couldn't they have told me that a day or two ago when I mentioned Priority Mail? I'm much happier with FedEx or UPS.

Anyway, I have a FedEx tracking number and my ring should be here by 10:30 tomorrow morning. With any luck I can get to the fitness center for a bendy-stretchy class and Zumba gold then get back to the house before FedEx arrives. I can leave a note and the carrier will come back if she gets there before I'm home around 9. She's very good about that sort of thing.

liz

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LibbyLA|1361275243|3384127 said:
minousbijoux,

Based on the wear, I'd say it's original. However, the setting is likely newer than the diamond since diamond is OMC and setting is Art Deco. Here's what the vendor says: Even though the diamond is over 100 years old, this vintage platinum ring is believed to be from the late art deco period.

Did you see this setting on LT? http://loupetroop.com/listings/settings/platinum-and-baguette-mounting-size-6

It's similar. Don't know how old it is, though, or whether it would fit whatever you are looking to set.

liz

Just now seeing you response - thanks, btw.

So cool that you know periods, etc. I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between an original and a repro, assuming there was obvious wear on both! I am really impressed with the skills of you and so many other PSers.

And thank you for the DB link. I do love the setting - and there was also another one that popped up with tiers of diamonds if that makes any sense. I loved that one and would have given my first child (almost) for that one, but the diameter is too big for my tsavorite :(( But someone should get it because its perfectly art deco with great delicate detailing.

As to your guy, Phil, I would say judging by the song lyrics he had there, that he was buying a diamond stud - or at least that was the uniform my son had to have when he was being the "gangsta" type! :roll:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
mb,

I don't know the periods, I was just basing that on what the vendor said.

Not gonna hazard a guess as to what good ol' Phil bought....

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
.98 ct. OMC, I-J SI1-SI2

It's here and I love it, but I have some concerns. I was going to take it to my jeweler this afternoon, but he's in the middle of casting, so I'll go see him tomorrow. I trust him to give me an honest opinion.

It faces up about the size of a 3/4 MRB, which is not unexpected and is fine with me. I'd use it as an alternate ering when I want something nice, but relatively unobtrusive.

The table is definitely wonky and I think it may be because the cutter was trying to avoid hitting a feather. None of my other diamonds have feathers, so seeing something that looks like a big crack (or maybe two, I can't tell whether it's a reflection or not) is scary. It doesn't break the surface and I can't really tell how close to the surface it is. (This is viewing it through a loupe. I don't see anything with my naked eyes, even with my reading glasses on.) It has survived this long, so maybe there's no structural issue.

The faceting is anything but regular. It would drive the average picky PSer nuts, but at this size and with my middle-aged eyes, it just looks like glitter.

It's sparkly, the setting is nice and in good condition. One corner of the head isn't quite as sharp and square as the others but not obvious unless you look very, very closely. As long as my jeweler doesn't think that there are any structural problems and that I didn't overpay, I will keep it. I don't mind that it's wonky and that the girdle is a weird faceted mess. It's not big enough to be able to see all that without a loupe. It ticks the OMC box, the modest-but-not-tiny box, the within-budget box, and it's in a platinum setting that I like.

The .75 OEC that I got this time last year appears to be a lot of bang for the buck as far as "presence" is concerned. The illusion head isn't so big that it's obviously an illusion setting, but it really makes the diamond look a lot bigger than it is.

Really crappy photos below. The camera just can't capture what the eye sees. These were taken in Reveal lighting, which makes practically anything sparkle, but the photos make these beautiful diamonds look like frozen spit. The OEC is a disco ball in real life.

liz

omc_oecsm.jpg

omc_oeccropped.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yippee it arrived !!! Step one complete! :))

IT looks great on you! I hope that there are no issues with the diamond, because it has great presence on your finger and the setting looks in perfect condition.

Good luck tomorrow - I'm eager to learn what your jeweller thinks of the stone... fingers crossed its A-OK! (but you can still return to DZ if required, right? )

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

Yes, I can return it, and I will if there are any issues. If I do return it, I won't be looking to replace it with anything. I know I would not like a 3/4 ct. MRB (or any modern cut in about that size). The warmer colors and larger pastel flashes of old cuts are definitely my preference.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1361489970|3387005 said:
Enerchi,

Yes, I can return it, and I will if there are any issues. If I do return it, I won't be looking to replace it with anything. I know I would not like a 3/4 ct. MRB (or any modern cut in about that size). The warmer colors and larger pastel flashes of old cuts are definitely my preference.

liz

I hear you on that one!!! Me too - I love MRB's and admire them but I am really drawn to the unique features of the OEC's, OMCs... they have such charm and personality!

Hope it goes well for you!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Well, there is a .91 tranny wedding set at my price point, L color, that I'd consider, but I'm hoping the there's nothing wrong with this one. Although the tranny is larger, I'd rather have the OMC.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results