shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage .8 ct. OEC e-ring

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Hanging around on PS is dangerous to the budget.... Fortunately, I'm like vintage and bargains. I've recently acquired an engraved platinum band, a six-stone OEC band (didn't even know I wanted such a thing), and a dainty 1940s e-ring (inspiration was a WTB inexpensive wedding set message in preloved forum, when I got an appreciation for some of the beautiful Art Deco things that are out there are great prices). Shared those in the vintage forum, not really blingy enough for here.

Several weeks ago, when I started my search for an engraved platinum band, I found one at DiamondZone and just missed it. As I looked through their offerings, I saw an antique engagement ring that really appealed to me, but that wasn't what I was looking for, so I made a mental note and moved on. There was just something about the head that caught my eye. It's not a bezel set, although it looks like one, and the corners and prongs look kind of like grapes. I haven't seen a head like this one before.

Every time I ran across that ring in my searches, it caught my attention even though I was not looking for anything like it. When it didn't show up when I thought it ought to, I had a little moment of regret that it wasn't available even though I had no intention of buying it.

After hanging out with the vintage people, I've really developed an appreciation of the beauty of old cuts and this is one. Probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if it were a modern RB. Decided to splurge, even though it's white gold and I'd made up my mind to buy only platinum.

Anyway, this is a .8 ct. I SI1 OEC, but no grading report to back it up, with four 3 pt. single cut sidestones, size 8.25, 14 ct. white gold. The stone is eye clean and has a pretty flower pattern under the loupe. I'll take it for appraisal next week to see what I really have.

Sorry for the horrid photos, but I only have my cell phone this week. It will be a blingy RHR, but I can get away with it in my casual lifestyle because it's vintage/antique.

I think I'm done with acquisitions for the foreseeable future :bigsmile:! I'm going to have to learn to "stack".

liz

DZ05.jpg

DZ06.jpg

DZ07.jpg

DZ08.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
vendor photos that show the detail a lot better than mine do

DZ01.jpg

DZ02.jpg

DZ03.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! Congrats!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I love it! :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recognize that ring! I have two from DiamondZone myself! I think they look so much better in person. Yours is so pretty! :love:

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! Congrats!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring!!!! :love:

Enjoy!

Cachette :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YEAH!! It came and you were able to get it on the same day - woo hoo! Looks great on you! Do you love it as much as you thought you would??? I DO!! Very nice :appl: I love the corner prongs - so COOL!

(Hope all went well this morning)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies.

diamondseeker: DZ does have some nice things. Did you get vintage/antique or were they new but V/A inspired? I have definitely found that the items that I've bought have looked better IRL than in photos, although the vendor photos seem to do a good job of letting you see detail. Photos don't show the sparkle and life and they also seem to make the item look chunkier. I guess the camera adds bulk to jewelry just like it does to humans. :bigsmile:

Enerchi: I like it even better than I thought I would. I'm relieved that I can see the head details even without my reading glasses, although I can't appreciate them as much as when I can see them well. The diamond seems to be a nice one but I don't know enough to know for sure.

This proves to me that you can get good finger coverage and a pretty spectacular look on large hands and fingers with a diamond under 1 ct. It does have a slight illusion setting but it's pretty subtle compared to a lot of them that are out there. I'm amazed at what you can get for under $2K, especially after looking at some of the really gorgeous, really expensive bling here.

I have a real appreciation for everyone who helps people find the perfect diamond and ring, regardless of the budget, BTW. I wouldn't have thought to look for something like this if I hadn't seen all the recommendations that have been made here.

liz

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is gorgeous! I can see why you were lured into buying it, lol!

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that's really pretty. I haven't seen anything quite like it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
that is a lovely ring! enjoy wearing it :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, it's beautiful!! I'm a sucker for vintage settings, and I love this one - it's a bit different from others I see from this time period, I really like the bezel-like setting and the prongs - and the stone looks lovely!! Looks substantial on your hand too! :love:

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Love it!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It's so pretty. Great finger coverage for a .8 too, it looks so much bigger! :love:

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1330687414|3139048 said:
It's so pretty. Great finger coverage for a .8 too, it looks so much bigger! :love:

agreed, it looks much bigger than a 0.8!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I think that the outside band that looks almost like a bezel is so subtle that you don't really see it, but it gives the extra fractions of a mm width that make the diamond look bigger. Since it's not a bezel, it's not covering any part of the diamond so you see the whole thing. Then the funky corners make it look princess-y, which also adds to the size illusion.

It may be a "spready" stone, and there's no telling what size it really is, but I'll know more after I get an appraisal done next week.

I'm certainly developing an appreciation for heads and settings and how much difference they can make in how a diamond looks.

The more I look at it, the more I love it. I was hesitant to get it because I don't NEED it, but I'm glad that I did. There's a quiet little thrill every time I see it.

liz

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, that is exquisite!! :lickout:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone and setting!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Looks great on your hand too!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I love it! So unique. Enjoy!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
so pretty! can't wait to see how the appraisal comes back!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results