shape
carat
color
clarity

Ooops! Did I make a big (and expensive) mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cushy Cushion

Rough_Rock
I am feeling very unsure about a recent cushion cut purchase and could use some sound advice! The biggest concern is that the stone may be cut too deeply--- it is 3.59 carats, but looks more like a 3.0 carat stone. ANY advice would be soooo appreciated, since I am still inside of the 30-day return window. (All the info. on ideal cut parameters for cushions is so vague!)

Carats: 3.59
Color: E
Meas.: 9.74 x 8.55 x 5.7mm
Depth: 66.7%
Table: 62%
Girdle: Slightly thick to Thick
Faceted Cutlet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: VS2
Flourescence: None
Certificate: GIA Certified

Thank you..... Thank you.... Thank you!!!!!!
12.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Cushy Cushion, welcome to the forum.
1.gif

It doesn't sound too deep at all. Who gave you this idea?

Cushy Cushion

Rough_Rock
First of all, how kind of you to respond--- I was starting to take it personally that no one was talking to me!

The appraiser I brought it to said that the table was kind of small and that there was more weight in the bottom than there should be. From what I have read on line, it seems that many cushions are cut deep so that the cutter can save most of the rough and also because until recently there haven't been strict guidelines for ideal cutting of these stones or stringent class guidelines for grading.

I didnt' want to have a stone that was so big that it looked gaudy, but I also wanted to be able to "see" the carat weight that I'm paying for. And it's for a tenth wedding anniversary, so it's kind of an important purchase and a stone that I hope to pass down to my children. With that said, I wanted to make sure that I am making the right decision.

As a novice, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of information to understand (particularly with fancy cuts). Thank you so much for answering!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Cushy Cushion,
----------------
First of all, how kind of you to respond--- I was starting to take it personally that no one was talking to me!
----------------
1.gif
Don't take it personally. It is just impossible to judge fancy cut diamond based on the limited info provided with the grading reports.
----------------
The appraiser I brought it to said that the table was kind of small and that there was more weight in the bottom than there should be.
----------------
Total depth for your stone doesn't seems too deep but there might (or might not) be some reasons for him/her to say that. May be he/she said it based on relationship between crown and pavilion.

Was it an independent appraiser who doesn't sell diamonds or jewelry?
----------------
...until recently there haven't been strict guidelines for ideal cutting of these stones or stringent class guidelines for grading.
----------
There is still no commonly accepted cut grades for fancy shaped diamond. Even brand name cushion cut diamonds are far from ideal.

Cushy Cushion

Rough_Rock
Funny that you should ask whether he is an independent appraiser that doesn't sell diamonds. Years ago he was recommended to me by Tiffany's and I had used him and really trusted him for appraisals. He seems to be respected by others in the industry (and I live in a large city). However, when I went to him with regarding my desire to buy a diamond he offered to procure it for me since I had been a good client over the years. I was concerned that this could be a conflict of interest. I did not buy this particular stone from him but did bring it to him for his assessment. I suppose it is possible that he wished that I had bought the stone from him, but I felt fairly confident that he would be professional and not be subjective about the quality of the stone. OK, I am totally rambling---- what would you suggest as my next step? Just go to another independent appraiser?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
---------------
Funny that you should ask whether he is an independent appraiser that doesn't sell diamonds.
who participate in this forum.
[/u][/u][/u]

Cushy Cushion

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that list----- I checked it and my appraiser is actually on that list. I do think he is an honorable guy, but as you said there is so much involved in evaluating a stone that it all can't be considered via email. Thanks for all your time. I will definetly follow up on the second opinion!
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Cushy Cushion, it would be interesting to know what you'll find out. Please post the result here
1.gif

Cushy Cushion

Rough_Rock
I definetly will post the results--- I noticed on the list that there is another appraiser close by that specializes in fancy cuts, antique cuts, etc; So I will make an appointment with that appraiser and let you know how it works out. Thanks again---- talk to you soon!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Cushy, at first glance the total depth looks okay to me (cushion cuts usually run deeper than rounds), but as Leonid says the crown and pavilion information would give us more data to understand the stone.

You can get that info via a Sarin report, Megascope report, or gemologist's assessment.

From the symmetry and table size I'm assuming this is a modern cushion cut as opposed to an antique cushion cut. Is it a branded stone, with a "name" of some sort?

As far as the appraiser goes, he lost his independent status once he offered to procure a stone for you. Appraising your stone (which you got from somewhere else) would be a difficult task to do from an unbiased position once having offered to sell you one himself.

An independent appraiser does not buy or sell, period. This allows the appraiser (theoretically) to remain unbiased and uninfluenced in his evaluations.

Cushy Cushion

Rough_Rock
Richard,

You are so awesome for writing back! Yes, I agree with your statement about losing independent status once you offer to procure stones. Interesting to note that this appraiser's name was on the very upstanding list of appraisers that was sent to me by Leonid. It is things like this that makes the diamond business very convoluted to the consumer.

I am going to call another one of the appraisers on that list and get information on crown angle, pavillion angle, etc; to make a better judgement on the stone. After I have the info, I hope you don't mind me writing you for your opinion. Thanks a bunch!!!
2.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Sure, there's plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum (consumers and professionals both) who would be more than happy to give you their opinions.

Independent appraisers are tougher to find than non-independents, so in the interest of providing the consumer with as many choices as possible Leonid lists reputable appraisers of both independent and non-independent status.

Your initial appraiser being included on the list is a good sign that he's a professional. It's just human nature popping up that's occasionally the problem. I don't think it's a big deal, but one to be aware of. You could never be sure if you asked the manager of a Kash-n-Karry what he thought of Winn Dixie's tomatoes if you would get a non-biased answer.

Cushy Cushion

Rough_Rock
You are knowledgeable and helpful, but also hilarious--- love the whitty repartee! By the by--- (in response to some of your comments yesterday) even I wouldn't kick Demi Moore out of bed due to a bad hair day!!!
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results