yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ya'll are cracking me up.

In my head I see it this way....

Pre-PS:
Vatche-1535-Melody-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-White-Gold_gi_3833_7-37993.jpg

Shortly After Joining PS:
cost-of-2-carat-diamond-engagement-ring-how-much-is-a-2-carat-diamond-ring-best-simple-design-nice-good.jpg

Intermediate Level PS'er:
diamond-engagement-rings-on-fingers-in-white-gold-@diamondmansion-1.jpg

PS Pro:

PS Admin:
rings+2.jpg
This has to be the absolute funniest (albeit accurate!) post I’ve ever seen on PS! To any newbie seeing this, RUN....run as fast as you can before we lure you to the dark side!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread. Always a fascinating debate!

I’m such a minimalist but I love collecting jewellery! It’s small and easy to stockpile, haha! ;-)

But I think of what I could buy if I sold most of it... yikes! :love: But I also think I would be uncomfortable wearing something so flashy and expensive. I prefer the value being dispersed rather than concentrated, lol.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a long time gemstone, jewellery and even settings hoarder. I cleanse and purge from time to time and then I just buy more stuff.... :)

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does ‘ring’ include bands as well...? Coz I’m advocating for bands to be excluded :D

‘Ring’ means like... 3 stone, solitaire, halo, moi et toi... that kind of thing, right?

Not sure where 5 stone bands fit into this... or 7 stone bands... where does one draw the line?

This topic has been on my mind a lot lately.

In the rest of my life I'm a minimalist. I don't keep or buy a lot of shoes or clothes. I don't really have a lot of anything and I don't think of myself as a collector - except when it comes to jewelry. I'm not very sentimental either and don't keep very many things for sentimental reasons - except when it comes to jewelry....

So, yes I would love to have one ring to rule them all, and I love the idea, but in reality my ADD (lack of focus and self control) is getting in my way and I do like having options (but I only have so many fingers).
OMG I could have totally written this! I was in the same boat, but with colored stones. There were a couple pieces that I really wanted but didn't need. Getting them wouldn't have bankrupted us but it was sort of like, eh we probably could have done something better ("more responsible") with the money. Long story short, I got them in the end. Now I'm trying to sell off a few thing that have the least sentimental value to me. If someone buys em, great! If not, oh well!

I'm a long time gemstone, jewellery and even settings hoarder. I cleanse and purge from time to time and then I just buy more stuff.... :)
Yes! I think of it as I cleanse and purge so that I can buy more stuff :dance:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have been working in an estate jewellery store for nearly 3 years now, 3 years of sheer bliss I should add and it has actually made me refine my taste and choices alot.
I used to buy lots of pieces and switch them out all the time for right hand rings and earrings etc and now I am definitely in the ortrta camp. I'd love to get my existing ruby diamond cluster redesigned as I prefer omcs and oecs and my hubby surprised me with a double cluster of very poor quality diamonds, it must of looked sparkly in the shop I guess. I am in the mindset of planning to save most of next year to make the redesign spellbindingly drool worthy and it will be the one and only upgrade I'll need ering wise. Just need to let hubs know gently right?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does ‘ring’ include bands as well...? Coz I’m advocating for bands to be excluded :D

‘Ring’ means like... 3 stone, solitaire, halo, moi et toi... that kind of thing, right?

Not sure where 5 stone bands fit into this... or 7 stone bands... where does one draw the line?

I know you asked this question months ago @Crystal_Dreams but just seeing it now since this thread was bumped up so answering it for you in case you are still interested. ORTRTA means different things to different people I think...when I say that I mean that one ring to be my one ER. Does not include bands for me so the more the merrier re bands but the one HG ER that is what I mean when I say ORTRTA.

I have been working in an estate jewellery store for nearly 3 years now, 3 years of sheer bliss I should add and it has actually made me refine my taste and choices alot.
I used to buy lots of pieces and switch them out all the time for right hand rings and earrings etc and now I am definitely in the ortrta camp. I'd love to get my existing ruby diamond cluster redesigned as I prefer omcs and oecs and my hubby surprised me with a double cluster of very poor quality diamonds, it must of looked sparkly in the shop I guess. I am in the mindset of planning to save most of next year to make the redesign spellbindingly drool worthy and it will be the one and only upgrade I'll need ering wise. Just need to let hubs know gently right?

Hahaha yes gently is best and hopefully he will react favorably to your plans...happy wife happy life right? And it is almost all in the delivery so sweet and gentle and fingers crossed for you!

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am bumping this fabulous thread because:
1-it’s one of the best on PS IMHO
2-it has invaluable input from all our very knowledgeable and experienced OG’s
AND
3-if your anything like me, this struggle is real and continually haunts me….do I consolidate a large portion of my collection to finally fund the ORTRTA or go ahead and add another lovely to the stable???!

I know the answer is highly individualized.
No right answer but if you are presently in the throes of this decision, this thread is extremely helpful!

P

Petalouda

I’m more inclined to ORTRTA as I’m aging because I realize I don’t wear a lot of my jewelry anymore. I tend to wear the same things daily.

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Me too @Petalouda
Oh…I forgot to explain details of my decision.
Do I trade my very well cut wide facet-patterned 3.10 carat F/SI1 Elongated Cushion AND my 2.64 carat H/SI1 RBC for a 4.20 carat F/VS1 Emerald Cut with 1.40 L/W and 69% table and 66.9% depth????

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too @Petalouda
Do I trade my very well cut wide facet-patterned 3.10 carat F/SI1 Elongated Cushion AND my 2.64 carat H/SI1 RBC for a 4.20 carat F/VS1 Emerald Cut with 1.40 L/W and 69% table and 66.9% depth????

We will need pictures to give you an informed decision

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
We will need pictures to give you an informed decision

Thank you @nala
Right now I’m just in the beginnings of the journey.
When I get closer and have pictures I will definitely reach out for your expert advice.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @nala
Right now I’m just in the beginnings of the journey.
When I get closer and have pictures I will definitely reach out for your expert advice.

I was joking. Lol. Just wanted to see bling. Hahaha. But as to your question—I think it depends on how often you wear your rings now. Do you reach for one more than the other? Does shape dictate your preference?

I myself don’t like the idea of 2 engagement rings. One of the reasons that I didn’t pull the trigger on my 2.10 emerald cut is that I didn’t know how often I would wear it. I thought it too much to wear as a rhr bc I had no intention of not wearing my engagement ring at all times. I do have tons of rhr’s that I could sell off to fund a bigger rhr, but surprisingly, I am not at all tempted to do so.

P

Petalouda

Me too @Petalouda

Oh boy. This is definitely going to be one of those “follow your heart” type of decisions. I can’t wait to see what you do!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Me too @Petalouda

So much of it is wear habits. If I'm honest, I don't wear most rings and larger stones are harder to pull off casually. I think it's about your lifestyle and what you actually wear.

I have thought of consolidation. But, I don't think I'd wear a 4 plus carat weight stone. Ymmv!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@SapphireBomb It’s sooooooo hard! I get it..sigh..I wear my ACA and LOVE it..Then I wear my emerald cut three stone..and I LOVE that. Thennnnn I wear my 18k YG cushion and I love that one. If I had to pick between the ACA (Winter), and my emerald cut three stone (Emmy)…I wouldn’t be able to pick which one. If I could start all over and pick one ring..I would go for the 4-4.5 carat emerald cut solitaire…with the same stats as Emmy..VVS1 G..maybe go to an F… I won’t do it though..I’m older so I have to stop..I’m not taking a hit selling them..
You’re still young so you still have time to buy another ring after your ORTRTA! :lol:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
To play it the same way Retro did, I am a ORTRTAIEC GIRL-

One
Ring
To
Rule
Them
All
In
Every
Color

So saying that, I have my green, aqua, purple (though she needs a new dress) and lavender covered. That's a whole lot of the rainbow I'm lacking or am willing to let go to be replaced with the same color with a better fit.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock

One
Ring
To
Rule
Them
All
In
Every
Color

So saying that, I have my green, aqua, purple (though she needs a new dress) and lavender covered. That's a whole lot of the rainbow I'm lacking or am willing to let go to be replaced with the same color with a better fit.

Love it!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

One
Ring
To
Rule
Them
All
In
Every
Color

I would say this is me too but I do have quite a few blues and pinks... but they are all different shades of blue and pink! Oh and green. I have a number of greens as well.

I think in the end, I am just NOT a "one ring" person! I am a "ring for every possible desire" person.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few rings, however, one will trump all the others in that it has the most sentimental value.

It is my 1.19ct E VS1 EC, now in its forever home, in the setting that I have always wanted (third time lucky).

It has a sob story or two attached to it, and is the ring that brings me the most comfort and joy.

Although I have a bigger diamond in the form of my mum's 1.94ct MRB which has been repurposed into a bangle, the large EC will always be the one that trumps them all.

I had the means to finally get myself an OEC to add to my right hand ring collection which comprises of a smaller 0.47ct EC and the larger 1.19ct.

Although I could afford to get a bigger stone, I settled for a 0.86ct as I did not want the OEC to be bigger than the large EC.

DK :))

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Keeping the thread going… I go through stages of favorites but in the end could never settle on one or even two.

I’ll won’t consolidate the majority of my collection, but I have a few small diamonds that may end up as trade-ins.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could do one ring but with emergency backups, like 10 to be on the safe side :lol:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I've decided I'm a F(our)RTRTA :lol-2:

SapphireBomb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I could do one ring but with emergency backups, like 10 to be on the safe side :lol:

I've decided I'm a F(our)RTRTA :lol-2:

You two completely crack me up!!!
I agree and get it.

So I (yet again!!!) stepped away from the ORTRTA mostly because I still just cannot let go of that darn original e-ring even tho I don’t wear it at all and it’s a shame not to.
I think I need to keep exploring the possibility of letting it go once and for all.
I hope I know when the time is right to do that.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
In the last week, my left ring finger has worn:
- Sapphire ring flanked by 2 wedding bands
- 5-stone OEC band
- Heftier rose gold scatter band
- big haloed transitional
- lab white gold bezel band

And I can't fit my original ering so I'm getting it reset, and I'm actively in the market for a humongous new 10th anniversary stone, and I have a plan for a lab diamond which currently only exists in imagination, and I should mention the east-west emerald I wear at least every other week. So... Probably will end up with 8 symbolic "yeah I'm married" rings, and aim to wear all of them at least every other week in a chaotic rotation.

So... Clearly not a ORTRTA gal! I have a few rings I only rarely wear, and I'm not looking to add to that category. I'm quite pleased to choose a ring according to my morning mood and anticipated responsibilities! Since these vary a lot from day to day, I feel lucky to have jewelry that's similarly mercurial.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results