shape
carat
color
clarity

Ombré Tahitian and akoya strand

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So first world problem: there’s not room in my jewelry box to store this strand since it’s so wide.

Suggestions for storage?

Front runner is to get a velvet lined treasure chest :lol:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
And because I have exactly no chill.
I opened it in the car. Don’t worry I’m parked
D8DD3A0F-D9C2-429C-9BFC-43C51776101A.jpeg

I'm just seeing your new treasure now. This is seriously one of the most beautiful pearl necklaces I have ever seen! I am speechless!

Wow, wow, wow!!!! Simply glorious!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
shale looks very regal in those gorgeous pearls :kiss2:

And your 'dress up ' photo...stunning !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m convinced I’d end up with infection or something. I have giant earlobes, “Buddha ears” is what my family calls them. People used to rub them for luck when I was a kid!

That's so cute :mrgreen2:
But It is a shame to waste good real estate
I did not get my first piercings till i was 22
(Yes they got massively infected - and i had them done at the chemist) but once they healed up i had a jewler do it and after a week i took the studs out and put in keepers/ sleeps (the very thin hoops ) and i had no problem

There is no hurry

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So first world problem: there’s not room in my jewelry box to store this strand since it’s so wide.

Suggestions for storage?

Front runner is to get a velvet lined treasure chest :lol:

I'm so sorry you have this problem. I'm a selfless person and will store this for you free of charge...like on my neck, 24/7 !!!

Seriously, though, this is freaking #goals!!!!!!!

So so beautiful, wearable and with a twist and not stuffy in the least!!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello @MakingTheGrade! I just want to kindly thank you for sharing, posting, and educating us on your beautiful ombré necklace. It really is amazing quality and gorgeous on you!

I never knew about ‘high end gem quality pearls’ unless you post and @yssie too! It really opened my eyes and helped me understand the difference between so so pearls and wowee stop and stare pearls! :kiss2::-o
Best,
C4C

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello @MakingTheGrade! I just want to kindly thank you for sharing, posting, and educating us on your beautiful ombré necklace. It really is amazing quality and gorgeous on you!

I never knew about ‘high end gem quality pearls’ unless you post and @yssie too! It really opened my eyes and helped me understand the difference between so so pearls and wowee stop and stare pearls! :kiss2::-o
Best,
C4C

Yeah if you haven’t read all of yssies pearl posts, I highly recommend them for both the education and the insane eye candy!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Setting the seed .....

Haha if I’ve resisted this long I don’t think I’ll cave anytime soon to earrings. Maybe if I ever have a kid and they demand company to get their ears pierced. Honestly I’d take them to a tattoo and piercing shop. I’ve heard too many bad stories about mall counter piercings.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha if I’ve resisted this long I don’t think I’ll cave anytime soon to earrings. Maybe if I ever have a kid and they demand company to get their ears pierced. Honestly I’d take them to a tattoo and piercing shop. I’ve heard too many bad stories about mall counter piercings.

That's a great mommy and me outing one day !

No pressure

I was 22 and all my friends but one had them done
That's the freind who took me to the after hours emergency doctor on her birthday too !

Mum didn't have pierced ears and no one had really explained how to me how to clean them after the piercing - i mean i was dabing the stuff on several times a day but the stuff wasn't getting to where it needed to go
I remember the ultra bitchy nurse implying i had done the piercings myself ...
I had had them done at the chemist !

The doc was nice, but my ears were too swollen for him to get them out
he said blood poisoning would have been not too far away if I'd left it any longer

By the next day the antibiotics where working and a work mate got them out
i remember all the puss pouring out and getting on my shoe !

This was the early 90s, so the options were the chemist shop (pharmacy) or the jewler

the owner of a very respected high street jewler did them the next time - had no problem

But an older friend had me take out the studs after a week and put in keepers/ sleepers
Because they are so much eaiser to to move around than twisting a stud in basically an open wound
She said before stud guns they used keepers/sleepers for new piercings in her day

Meanwhile i gotta say i am not enjoying wearing studs in the slightest
I like dangly hooks and sleepers/ keepers -
The studs feel really uncomfortable especially to sleep on
i guess its the butterfly at the back of the stud rather than the actual earing but i think my next pear of pearl studs might be mabe pearls ! ....or I'll ust stick to dangles !

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
I do not wish to hijack MTG's thread or the excitement on the new piece. However, I think/hope it will be useful to provide some information about dealing with "direct to consumer" wholesalers, in addition to what MTG already mentioned.

The company mentioned is certainly not the only one who has opened their doors to social media and selling to a wider base of customers. As I am sure you may imagine, many already-pandemic-struggling vendors trying to make a living across the world are none too happy about being essentially totally removed from the supply chain by Instagram wholesale. I also understand end consumers want to find the best deal possible, be it for experimental projects, spontaneous buys, or just because of the deal seeking experience.

So, with that in mind, I want to leave some advice and information for PS'ers and anyone who may come across and be really enticed by the prospect of getting a more "direct deal." (In addition to what has already been mentioned of course).
  1. In pearls, the quality range is not very tight. If you think retail pearl grading needs some work, this is a whole 'nother ballgame. These companies are very used to selling thousands of pearls in single orders, and they will not want sit and meticulously sort or match for you - that is part of the service of retail markup. There is no "AA" "AAA" to even assist. Don't be surprised if things aren't up to a "PS standard." As vendors we account for some less useful throwaway in an order because there's enough to cover it. But if you're not buying in quantity enough that this is a negligible issue, just be careful. This is complicated stuff, and if you do not know pricing well, you may not get as good of a deal as you think by the time you account for findings, labor, etc. Think of this like buying uncerted diamonds. Sometimes there's not lots of visual difference between F/VVS2 superideal and J/VS2 excellent, but there's a dollar difference. Wholesalers won't help you with this.

2. Similar to point 1, it is very likely anything you ask about you will be told is "best quality" - there are about 5-6 levels of "best quality" that any given wholesaler might use. You'll ask for the best, the wholesaler swears up and down it's the best, and it may well be high quality, but PSers have some exacting standards and this is something I am keenly aware of :) - and as someone who works with many different wholesale companies, "pricescope stuff" is genuinely difficult to find. It may take 6-7 companies contacted to find something that would pass the standards of this forum (and I love you all for it, truly) but be aware that, spoken from much experience and money spent, any wholesale company's idea of best will rarely match PriceScope's idea. You will find very nice stuff, but you're not finding "superideal" stuff. Brands already have standing orders for the best stuff when it rarely comes available.
  3. Customs, when done legally, can be very hefty. If customs are not done legally, customs and border can legally destroy the goods. They probably won't do that, but it has happened to me once before. Please, before you consider spending lots of money with a direct company, keep in mind that if something goes wrong and your items have issues with them, you are largely SOL. If the Loch Ness monster eats the boat the pearls get shipped on, we as vendors have insurance to cover that-- you as consumer may not. I say that not to alarm any of you lovely PS'ers but to simply warn that any of these wholesale companies will not be helpful in the event of an issue.
  4. Please, from the bottom of my heart, genuinely kindly asked, if you're considering purchasing from any wholesale company that allows direct to consumer, do not ask your favorite diamond/pearl/colored stone vendor to give their opinion on your considered purchase. If you choose to bypass retail pricing, you also choose to bypass retail service - which legitimately is the most fun part on this side of the sale. If you ask for help evaluating a wholesale purchase, we cannot help you. Not because we do not love you, because we do, but because there is a point at which we (collective, any vendor we) want to make sales too- because we have spent a lot of our own time and money to train and understand what it is our standards are, and using those standards to choose what we consider best for customers. We have a passion for gems and jewels too, but we are also trying to live off of them. So please do ask us about our stuff, but don't ask for help with not our stuff, especially if you're buying wholesale. This is a big issue that happens with pearls and I firmly believe PS'ers are wonderful people who don't mean any malice by it, but it can sting dishearteningly when we get messages (and we all get them) that essentially say "I am going to completely cut you out of the supply chain but expect your expert eye anyway"
  5. Finally, PriceScope pearls are a warped place in that every trusted vendor ever mentioned often here is dealing to you all in the top 1% - some of the pearls are in top .5%, some in top .01%, some in .00001% - but all of us in the top 1%. There really are a lot of scary-bad pearls out there. You will find lots of stuff out there, from excellent to bad to downright should be compacted into dust (like industrial diamonds). I don't want to sound like a broken record, but know that cheap does not necessarily mean "good deal."

OK-- hopefully, none of this comes off as bitter or mean in the slightest. Definitely not meant that way whatsoever. I just want folks on PS to walk into these situations as informed as possible. :)

All the best to y'all, and happy + informed deal hunting :)

Andrew Moline

PS- Back to regularly scheduled programming of MTG's exciting new piece. :)

Thank you so much for your honest advice.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meanwhile i gotta say i am not enjoying wearing studs in the slightest
I like dangly hooks and sleepers/ keepers -
The studs feel really uncomfortable especially to sleep on
i guess its the butterfly at the back of the stud rather than the actual earing but i think my next pear of pearl studs might be mabe pearls ! ....or I'll ust stick to dangles !
Oh no!
Would you be okay taking them off to sleep? Pearls are so soft, taking them off at night to avoid rubbing against pillow/sheets/blankets and pressure of head squishing them whilst sleeping is probably better for them anyway!
Are the backs uncomfortable for you during the daytime too? What backs do you have right now?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no!
Would you be okay taking them off to sleep? Pearls are so soft, taking them off at night to avoid rubbing against pillow/sheets/blankets and pressure of head squishing them whilst sleeping is probably better for them anyway!
Are the backs uncomfortable for you during the daytime too? What backs do you have right now?

Year, your right i shouldn't sleep in them but im used to having earings in 24 7 (well until a few years back when i got slack) and its a pain putting them back in again

Its all studs im having the problem with
I have a real variety of backs but i like those flat plastic ones the best
My ears sit really flat against my head, even now just watching telly i can feel them rub
Maybe im just don't used to studs
Ive never really warm them, so i guess im not used to them

im now thinking about my 3 pairs of diamond studs i bought down the mall jewler pre- PS (everything with me is pre-PS :(2 )
They arnt PS standard but they still cost me a pretty penny and i want to wear them
i have 3 pair, tiny, small and medium for each side, (plus some saphire & diamond ones i havn't looked at for ages and im hoping aganist hope they are not studs)
Im kinda glad those dyed green f/w pearls from my dear elderly late FIL are on hooks
they are so easy to get in and are so light i don't even feel them? not that its the weight that is the issue

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Daisys and Diamonds- I feel your pain . Studs can bother me as well - my earlobes are attached at the bottom and I think it makes the pin rub as the bottom of the lobe is close to my head. Even some Hooks can irritate me. I try to use hooks that are quite thick so the end isn't scratchy . Hooks are definitely my go to's

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be more amenable to an industrial piercing with a small gem akoya at one end and small dark Tahitian at the other but I don’t know who’d make a custom piece like that well . So I’ll just have to daydream about an ombré bracelet instead..

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Year, your right i shouldn't sleep in them but im used to having earings in 24 7 (well until a few years back when i got slack) and its a pain putting them back in again

Its all studs im having the problem with
I have a real variety of backs but i like those flat plastic ones the best
My ears sit really flat against my head, even now just watching telly i can feel them rub
Maybe im just don't used to studs
Ive never really warm them, so i guess im not used to them

im now thinking about my 3 pairs of diamond studs i bought down the mall jewler pre- PS (everything with me is pre-PS :(2 )
They arnt PS standard but they still cost me a pretty penny and i want to wear them
i have 3 pair, tiny, small and medium for each side, (plus some saphire & diamond ones i havn't looked at for ages and im hoping aganist hope they are not studs)
Im kinda glad those dyed green f/w pearls from my dear elderly late FIL are on hooks
they are so easy to get in and are so light i don't even feel them? not that its the weight that is the issue

Ahh. I understand!
And maybe dixavle
A local jeweller should be able to shave the posts down a bit, so they’re shorter.
Then, if you wear larger plastic or silicone backs, the edge of the stud doesn’t have to protrude beyond the end of the back. So what’s touching the side of your head behind your ear is rounded silicone not pointy metal.
Silicone Earring Backs,Clear Rubber Earring Backs,Earring Safety Back Stopper Clutch Ear Locking with Pad (Pack of 100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YRL5Y7J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_038360PWR5MBFH7A9P08

Pic from the listing -
1B37069D-970E-4729-B0CF-D1DB0E7553EA.jpeg

Might help - can’t hurt, anyway?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh. I understand!
And maybe dixavle
A local jeweller should be able to shave the posts down a bit, so they’re shorter.
Then, if you wear larger plastic or silicone backs, the edge of the stud doesn’t have to protrude beyond the end of the back. So what’s touching the side of your head behind your ear is rounded silicone not pointy metal.
Silicone Earring Backs,Clear Rubber Earring Backs,Earring Safety Back Stopper Clutch Ear Locking with Pad (Pack of 100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YRL5Y7J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_038360PWR5MBFH7A9P08

Pic from the listing -
1B37069D-970E-4729-B0CF-D1DB0E7553EA.jpeg

Might help - can’t hurt, anyway?

Thank you
defiantly an excellent option for the exspensive ones

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this to keep the ombré strand in. Looks great but it’s too thin and the necklace is too bulky so I can’t close it. Whoops haha.

B40CFF6C-B5CC-439C-B2B2-E659B4A2D231.jpeg 636FAFE9-6B3A-4FD9-BDBC-88B3DF87C7D9.jpeg A7F414C3-09C3-41F0-B3FF-DB0F09866B06.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought this to keep the ombré strand in. Looks great but it’s too thin and the necklace is too bulky so I can’t close it. Whoops haha.

B40CFF6C-B5CC-439C-B2B2-E659B4A2D231.jpeg 636FAFE9-6B3A-4FD9-BDBC-88B3DF87C7D9.jpeg A7F414C3-09C3-41F0-B3FF-DB0F09866B06.jpeg

Dang :(2
However im sure another strand will join your collection soon and will happily find a home in it ;)2

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s ok. I just needed a soft and secure place to keep it when I’m not wearing it and it works just fine for that!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. Would a matching ombre bracelet work? Too matchy ? Maybe an ombré in a different tone? Would definitely want smaller pearls for it.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you have enough space in a bracelet to get a good, gradual ombré effect? You’ve only got 6ish inches to play with, as opposed to 18 or so in a necklace, to seamlessly segue through the ombré. Unless the pearls are small, I’m not sure there’s enough space to do a full ombré back to the starting colour? Unless you can find those baby 6/7mm Tahitians, then you’d be off and running! Or half an ombré in larger pearls, from black to white but not back again to black? Do my ramblings even make sense?!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results