Old mine style cushions or Antique style cushion search

furs

Rough_Rock
Q

Queenie60

Have you tried Goodoldgold?

furs

Rough_Rock
They don't have any stones in stock that meet that criteria. A custom cut stone is a last resort option in my opinion.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely contact Grace. If she doesn't have something in house at the moment, she can more than likely source something for you.
She is wonderful to work with! Good luck!

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Hey Furs,

Just a note that the WF link you provided is for a cushion modified brilliant - not what you're looking for (don't be fooled by the sample pictures, lol). If you plug the GIA number into GIA's report checker you'll see what I mean. Newly cut antique-style cushions can be hard to find. You will probably have better luck sending inquiries out to the vendors you're considering and letting them tell you what they have that meets your criteria.

I had a really good experience with Chris at Brilliantly Engaged. They currently have a 2.53ct F-VS2 available for ~$36,500 [http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/2.53-carat-f-vs2-royal-chandelier-cushion-brilliant-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-8888.html] and recently sold a 3.01ct F-VS2 that was listed at $65,000 if that helps give you a sense of pricing.

I ended up with an actual antique cushion from Adam at Old World Diamonds. If you're interested in actual antique stones, I highly recommend giving him a look as well.

Happy hunting!

furs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the heads up, it seems that so many of these cushions are modified brilliant. You are right, that is not what I'm looking for. The diamond you posted from BE is certainly interesting. I guess I was hoping that I would be able to find that same quality stone without the premium associated with a brand name cushion cut.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Have you talked to Adam at Old World Diamonds? He has a huge selection of antique stones. The F color is going to slow up your search in that size though.

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
It might be possible with some legwork but antique style cushions tend to come at a premium regardless of where you buy. You can start with the usual suspects (GOG, Brilliantly Engaged, Leon Mege, Victor Canera, Diamonds by Lauren) and do some of your own exploring. The only one-off vendor that I came across who was able to pull some antique style cushions for me was J. Birnbach. (I'd never heard of them but was referred by a colleague.) But their prices were on par with the others.

I found that Brilliantly Engaged and Leon Mege were priced a bit lower than GOG, VC and DBL. GOG's AVC is a direct comp to VC's CAC, so much so that VC will not set AVCs. DBL's branded cushion is cut by the same cutter as GOG's AVC - so the pricing on those three branded cushions are pegged. Outside of that circle, you may have better luck price-wise.

furs

Rough_Rock
What are peoples thoughts on a 3.0 CT old antique cut (as in it's possible it's actually an antique). Below is a picture I don't have any more info, but am working on getting a look at the GIA cert.

Specs are 3CT D SI1, and it's supposed to be eye clean

What are peoples thoughts the the added value of the D color? The high color makes this stone slightly out of my budget (it's 45k), but I understand that I'm unlikely to find exactly what I want for the price I want.

r5197_3.jpg

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
More photos would be helpful. From what I can tell, it does not have a particularly organized or pleasing facet pattern, at least to my eye. But perhaps more photos would shed more light.

A D colored genuine antique stone in that size will be relatively rare and the price will reflect that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gut reaction is "yuck". Second glance reaction is "double yuck."

So, the wearer HAS TO HAVE an antique cushion huh?

I think you need to lower your color requirements. If you do that you'll expand your options a lot.

G and H are great too.

You are shooting yourself in the foot with the F or better requirement. Is it a cultural thing?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1456905032|3998323 said:
Ask for undoctored photos of this stone:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-2-ct-D-VS2-natural-cushion-round-diamond-antique-vintage-halo-ring-platinum-/371545715574?hash=item5681d9b376:g:NQYAAOxyMxpRuMJi And you'd have to make the sale contigent on the GIA grading it F or better in color and VS2 or better in clarity and include that they have to send it to GIA as part of THEIR cost.
I'm less than enthusiastic about Amore Diamonds, Gypsy. Besides the fact that they use the same pic over and over again in listings for different stones (without indicating these are "stock" photos), who knows who they really are. Although they claim to be in Manhattan, Amore Diamonds does not provide an address & is not listed with directory information for anywhere in NYC, nor does their name appear in New York State's database of registered corporations-other business entities. The phone number that's given on their eBay pages is one used by a Frank Carroccia; that name appeared here on PS years ago in connection with Shenoa Diamonds, a NYC Diamond District outfit that more than one person had a bad experience with, e.g.,
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-bought-a-diamond-from-shenoa-co-need-advise-fast-please.9981/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-bought-a-diamond-from-shenoa-co-need-advise-fast-please.9981/page-2[/URL]
(Google will bring up more).

furs, I skimmed through the posts on your earlier thread, so now know that you think modern round brilliant diamonds are boringly ho-hum. I am concerned, however, that there is no reason to think your future wife wants an old mine kind of cut (truly vintage or contemporary version). Although OMC, OEC's and/or their modern counterparts are quite popular with many of the active posters here on PS, they were an acquired taste for even a fair number of those. And there are certainly other women who have seen them in real life & actively dislike them. My niece, for one, really dislikes what she calls the "Maltese cross" faceting & the "weird holes" (open culet), so has no interest in inheriting any of the family jewelry pieces with old cut diamonds. Might you reconsider the advisability of giving your future wife this distinctly different "flavor" of diamond? MRBs aren't the only alternative.

furs

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1456922277|3998374 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-2-ct-D-VS2-natural-cushion-round-diamond-antique-vintage-halo-ring-platinum-/371545715574?hash=item5681d9b376:g:NQYAAOxyMxpRuMJi And you'd have to make the sale contigent on the GIA grading it F or better in color and VS2 or better in clarity and include that they have to send it to GIA as part of THEIR cost.
I'm less than enthusiastic about Amore Diamonds, Gypsy. Besides the fact that they use the same pic over and over again in listings for different stones (without indicating these are "stock" photos), who knows who they really are. Although they claim to be in Manhattan, Amore Diamonds does not provide an address & is not listed with directory information for anywhere in NYC, nor does their name appear in New York State's database of registered corporations-other business entities. The phone number that's given on their eBay pages is one used by a Frank Carroccia; that name appeared here on PS years ago in connection with Shenoa Diamonds, a NYC Diamond District outfit that more than one person had a bad experience with, e.g.,
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-bought-a-diamond-from-shenoa-co-need-advise-fast-please.9981/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-bought-a-diamond-from-shenoa-co-need-advise-fast-please.9981/page-2[/URL]

furs, I skimmed through the posts on your earlier thread, so now know that you think modern round brilliant diamonds are boringly ho-hum. I am concerned, however, that there is no reason to think your future wife wants an old mine kind of cut (truly vintage or contemporary version). Although OMC, OEC's and/or their modern counterparts are quite popular with many of the active posters here on PS, they were an acquired taste for even a fair number of those. And there are certainly other women who have seen them in real life & actively dislike them. My niece, for one, really dislikes what she calls the "Maltese cross" faceting & the "weird holes" (open culet), so has no interest in inheriting any of the family jewelry pieces with old cut diamonds. Might you reconsider the advisability of giving your future wife this distinctly different "flavor" of diamond? MRBs aren't the only alternative.

Molly, I think you're right that I might be being overly restrictive in my selection. Truthfully I'm not entirely sure what my GF wants so perhaps its better to get a modern cut cushion. That said I've seen a lot that have that "crushed ice" appearance. I would love the forums help in finding some modern cushions with nice neat looking facets. The diamond posted from enchanted diamonds seems alright, but I am really hoping for something with at least an F color.

Why am I so restrictive in color? I just decided that I wanted to pay a premium for those color grades. Although it's not possible for me to personally distinguish between a E and F I can tell the difference between an G and E, or an H and F. I understand that I will pay a premium for a colorless diamond, but I'm prepared to do so and want to prioritize that within my budget (this might mean the stone is less than 3.0 CT).

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
furs said:
MollyMalone|1456922277|3998374 said:

Molly, I think you're right that I might be being overly restrictive in my selection. Truthfully I'm not entirely sure what my GF wants so perhaps its better to get a modern cut cushion. That said I've seen a lot that have that "crushed ice" appearance. I would love the forums help in finding some modern cushions with nice neat looking facets. The diamond posted from enchanted diamonds seems alright, but I am really hoping for something with at least an F color.

Why am I so restrictive in color? I just decided that I wanted to pay a premium for those color grades. Although it's not possible for me to personally distinguish between a E and F I can tell the difference between an G and E, or an H and F. I understand that I will pay a premium for a colorless diamond, but I'm prepared to do so and want to prioritize that within my budget (this might mean the stone is less than 3.0 CT).

I would absolutely NOT get an antique cushion unless you know with certainty that she loves them. They are a distinct flavor. Can you find out what type of diamond she likes? Round, square or better yet, a cushion, a modern round brilliant, an emerald, you get the picture. There are many flavors of cushion cuts and many do not have the "crushed ice" appearance. But remember the goal is to get her what she likes!

Goodoldgold has some nice videos on the different cuts of cushions. Search in the Youtube bar and see what you find.

furs

Rough_Rock
I went through this in an earlier post. Although I appreciate the feedback regarding antique cushion cuts, I am still set on a cushion cut. Although I am open to modified cushions, I am trying to steer clear of any that might have the crushed ice look.

This is one option, but it's smaller than I planned. That said I also worry that 3 carats might looks a little large (size 6.75 finger).

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2.19ct-f-vs2-cushion-hearts-and-arrows-diamond.html

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the H&A cuts, you can also watch Blue Nile and Brian gavin - they both stock these. I just checked and there isn't much in right now. BN has a 2.0x (cant remember) F but it faces up a bit smaller than the GOG one (but was only 21k I believe).

If you are looking at sizes - check out d i a m b . com. You can enter everything in and visualize how it would look.

eta - I found some antique looking cushions on JA as well. Sorry, the price is stuck on CAD so I cant tell how much they are in USD but I think in budget. They are G colour though.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.50-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-189401
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.34-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-145409

furs

Rough_Rock
These are great recommendations, I just wish they were higher on the color scale. That website you listed is fantastic. I wish I had know about it sooner!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS doesn't like it (which is why the spaces), but I too find the visual much easier to wrap my head around.

Maybe play around and see what you think the 'ideal' mm size is. Don't worry about the ct size for the generator. Then you can let us know that 7-7.2 mm is best, and adjust search parameters.

furs

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a ration of around 1.15 (but that's flexible), smaller side would ideally be 8mm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Listen I recently had a chance to view a two carat GOG H&A cushion and it looked round. The four main cushion like the ED cushion I linmed you too was the clear winner. I can look for stones like that witb higher color. You really should consider G though.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results