shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut Lovers...... please sign in!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MRBs leave me cold ever since I discovered I love ECs back in the late 90s.

My mum gave me her 1.8ct+ MRB in a temporary ring setting, and it remains unworn and unloved. I recently found a pendant setting that I like, so it will be re-purposed as a pendant eventually.

I have seen and liked the old cuts in antique and royal jewellery, and learnt a lot about them via PS.

I was privileged to meet up with mochiko42 when I was last in Hong Kong in 2015, and she was delighted that I recognised the cut of her then diamond being an OEC. Apparently I was the first person in her social circle to do so. :))

It is unlikely I would get an old cut diamond to wear as a ring as no other diamond will trump my affection for my EC that was my 40th birthday to myself and has huge sentimental value. Therefore, I shall admire them from afar instead.

DK :))

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd post my old cut diamond right hand rings, even though they aren't big rings they are very sentimental to me. Single cut diamond and synthetic ruby ring was my great grandmother's engagement ring. Navette shaped modified Swiss cut and single cut diamond ring was a present after the birth of my first son 19 years ago.
Screenshot_20190128-175007.png Screenshot_20190128-174357.png

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@dk168 Your MRB might as well contain a 1.5 transitional - not sure, but it must be fun to ask.

IHMO, the round brilliant model has hit a couple of ideals throughout history & now ain't one of those times. These things change for other reasons but choice.

Last edited:

laurakayp

Rough_Rock
Hey! I’d like to stop in a show off my transitional. My husband searched high and low for this stone and a local jeweler was able to source it. It was from the 20’s and in a box, untouched and never set. He wanted to recreate the look by setting it with fat traps. I’ll say he did an amazing job .

Attachments

• 6FB720A5-0B0A-4CD5-94C1-6C48B5E1F43A.jpeg
    6FB720A5-0B0A-4CD5-94C1-6C48B5E1F43A.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 81

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! I’d like to stop in a show off my transitional. My husband searched high and low for this stone and a local jeweler was able to source it. It was from the 20’s and in a box, untouched and never set. He wanted to recreate the look by setting it with fat traps. I’ll say he did an amazing job .

@laurakayp, your ring is stunning! What a gorgeous diamond...and how amazing it has never been set! It's like a brand new stone, no wear and tear like so many old cuts. Fabulous!

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Elongated OMC, uncertified but I got it from trusted seller. I was thinking of selling it to raised some funds since I don’t wear it that much because the setting keep getting on my hair (Old cut doesn’t really have the best symmetry) but I decided to keep it as I don’t know how to sell an uncertified stone. Now it’ll be my next project to reset it to be toi et moi with old pear cut. I don’t remember the exact specs, 1 of the inclusion is visible. Love the sparkle from an old cut, the rainbow flashes is really pretty.
Diamond and setting by Alex Park (before he sells out his diamond within a second).
EF8A45A2-D067-4F46-AFC7-C66391AC1A40.jpeg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just rocked my way thru all 26 pages, what a treat!!!

5.05ct O-P never before seen photos =)2

Taken indoors and in partial shade to better see the facet pattern

5.05ct OEC 111.jpg

Indoor shot, this is more like what the facet pattern looks like at a normal viewing distance

5.05ct OEC 112.jpg

This must be why they call it the flower petal pattern! :mrgreen2:

5.05ct OEC 113.jpg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for resurrecting this thread so I could go through an admire all your beauties.

I discovered old cuts probably 5 or so years ago thanks to PS. And I must say OMC do not have as much love here as OECs. I don't know why I was always drawn more to OMCs and I can't wait to be able to share you with my recently acquired OMC :)

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Elongated OMC, uncertified but I got it from trusted seller. I was thinking of selling it to raised some funds since I don’t wear it that much because the setting keep getting on my hair (Old cut doesn’t really have the best symmetry) but I decided to keep it as I don’t know how to sell an uncertified stone. Now it’ll be my next project to reset it to be toi et moi with old pear cut. I don’t remember the exact specs, 1 of the inclusion is visible. Love the sparkle from an old cut, the rainbow flashes is really pretty.
Diamond and setting by Alex Park (before he sells out his diamond within a second).
EF8A45A2-D067-4F46-AFC7-C66391AC1A40.jpeg

I love this, it’s so unique! How many carats?

springsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I loved going through the beauties in this thread when I was researching settings for my OEC. Resurrecting it to add mine!

2.88 O/P VS2 OEC
IMG_2100.jpeg

1.63 OMC, uncertified, very warm and old! Circa 1800 diamond in a contemporary setting.
IMG_0646.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results