shape
carat
color
clarity

Old cut lovers - how passionate are you about diamond studs also being old cut?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am back and forth between middle TN and a TX border town. I should make the 5 hour drive to WF just to see haha but hard to do that when working and a 6 year old!

I hear you, I have a seven year old and I can’t quite picture a five hour drive with him! One thing though is once you see super ideal, it’s probably hard to go back.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are beautiful but I went with MRB for studs. I wanted to maximize diameter for the carat weight and wanted a higher color. Not to say that can't be found in old cuts but it would have taken me a while and I'm not getting any younger lol. OEC studs are gorgeous though. At some point I'd love to get a pair of OEC dangle earrings.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry If I’m reading your chart properly it seems that you are saying for earrings the preference is brightness over fire or scintillation? Do I have that correct? It seems that on PS everyone talks about the importance is fire…

There is the wrong lighting to produce fire in earrings.
Earrings should be bright - and shallower diamonds are brighter.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is the wrong lighting to produce fire in earrings.
Earrings should be bright - and shallower diamonds are brighter.
curious, do you feel that is the way for both studs and dangles? or are the different positions enough to change things?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been torn about this very topic. I have tiny OEC studs now that I love and wear everyday

I also don’t know that I care about the most optimal performance for earrings over the simple charm of old cuts.

I think I lean old cuts for earrings, even though MRBs might have more “oomph”

I’ve thought it might be fun to get some really wonky OMCs for studs and just have fun. Imperfect for ears honestly seems very perfect to me! :)

But who knows…I could see it going either way!

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I am an old cut girl (ok not a girl anymore but in my heart I still am) at heart. And modern round brilliants don't do it for me. I appreciate them and they are beautiful in their own way but old cuts get me every single time.

So when I was considering a big purchase for studs I knew I had to follow my heart and go for OECs. And not newly cut "old" cuts, which I considered for a moment. Again, they are beautiful too, but not the same as genuine old cuts. For me. And then I saw the "ones". OEC studs. So chunky with a gorgeous glow. Soft pastel colors from within. I knew immediately they were for me. But then I saw the price which was more than I had set for my budget and I tried talking myself out of them. No luck. :lol: And I have @LLJsmom to thank, (or blame as the case may be :lol:) as she helped me realize I needed to go over budget.

I am very (very) happy with my OEC studs and my heart still goes pitter patter when I wear them or look at them. They are very different than MRB studs. Totally different IMO. MRB studs are in your face, bright and white and beautiful. OEC studs invite you to come closer and take a long look. They are more subtle but mesmerizing and make you want to gaze at them for a long time. Those chunky monkey facets and soft glow. They make me swoon.

Most people (in my experience) want the "bright white look at me" studs whereas the OEC studs are more "come hither if you dare" studs. A long cool drink of old cut goodness. No one right choice. It depends on what you prefer and what make your heart beat a little bit faster.

So I ask you, which cut is the cut your heart desires?

bubbalahmaryannandgingerinourfrontyardatbeachhouse.jpg

3 old cut peas in a pod. Bubbalah, MaryAnn and Ginger.

Well no wonder your heart goes pitter patter, mine is going lub dub lurch thud

Sparklemore

Shiny_Rock
I'm curious about how many of you in the "old cut club" which I am now thrilled to be a part of, feel strongly about diamond stud earrings also being old cut? Or do you still prefer mrbs for studs? Or does it matter? I don't think I would ever buy another mrb diamond ring for example. If I get an upgrade it for a ring it will definitely be an old cut. But for studs, I'm not sure. One day I would love to upgrade to 2ct each ear (I'm at 1.5 now), and I would search for old cut first. But with mrb you can use the numbers, asets, etc to really get an idea of fire/sparkle whereas with old cuts it's tougher. I'm curious to see what you guys think. Also, pics of your earrings would be fun too!!

I’ve sold all my RB studs to get old cuts - so much more charm and those big flashes!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My studs consist of one CBI and one ACA, each just shy of 2 cts. I love the flashes of light that come out of them. I love their cool crispness. Here's just a random pic taken last weekend (I was not intentionally modeling my earrings) and it caught them twinkling.

I am by no means an expert on proportions, but I believe mine fall into the "balanced" zone on the chart.

I also think antique cut earrings are gorgeous (I'm not one cut versus the other). If I could afford it, I would buy ginormous antique dangles for their romance. I'm just posting this pic to say how much I love my RBs and their amazing flashes of light and color.

IMG_0828 studs.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My studs consist of one CBI and one ACA, each just shy of 2 cts. I love the flashes of light that come out of them. I love their cool crispness. Here's just a random pic taken last weekend (I was not intentionally modeling my earrings) and it caught them twinkling.

I also think antique cut earrings are gorgeous (I'm not one cut versus the other). If I could afford it, I would buy ginormous antique dangles for their romance. I'm just posting this pic to say how much I love my RBs and their amazing flashes of light and color.

IMG_0828 studs.jpg

Amazing that size (4 ctw) is my hg size. Also what a fabulous hat! What color are your stones?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure they are whitey white white. She is very color sensitive.

BTW that is a technical term.

Yes I just remembered that she was talking about setting her diamonds so I found that thread and see that they are E color. Wowza! And how come there was no SMTB thread?!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’ve sold all my RB studs to get old cuts - so much more charm and those big flashes!

Put them in a ring and buy some shallow modern round brilliant cuts and.
You need to lay on your side on the table for anyone to see fire flashes
Or have someone walk infront of you pointing a spot light at you

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies!

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, they are both E. I swoon for high color. I know Gary claims no one can see the difference amongst the higher colors when worn, but I can. (And @Wink & Brittany from WF will back me up -- they've tested me, face up, from several feet away.) If I won the lottery, I'd upgrade to D's in a heartbeat.

No "Show Me The Bling" post yet because I just recently got these back from WF. The resetting process took forever because I was naughty and upgraded the ACA while it was being set. LOL

IMG_0830 studs and hat.jpg

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi ladies!

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, they are both E. I swoon for high color. I know Gary claims no one can see the difference between the high colors, but I can! (And Wink & Brittany from WF will back me up -- they've tested me, face up, from several feet away!) If I won the lottery, I'd upgrade to D's in a heartbeat.

No "Show Me The Bling" post yet because I just recently got these back from WF. The resetting process took forever because I was naughty and upgraded the ACA while it was being set. LOL

IMG_0830 studs and hat.jpg
Hey hey hey! RWS I only sell +H in my store and +F in larger fancy shapes. I believe I am the strictest on color in the world!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hey hey hey! RWS I only sell +H in my store and +F in larger fancy shapes. I believe I am the strictest on color in the world!

Such low colors Gary? Tut, Tut ;-)

I swear I remember you saying it was craziness to go above a G in earrings because no one could tell the difference.

For most folks you are right. But I'm a freak.

Its all good. :)

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 7.21.26 PM.png

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

I swear I remember you saying it was craziness to go about a G in earrings that no one could tell the difference.

For most folks you are right. But I'm a freak.

Its all good. :)
Not this little black duck.
But I am on the record as suggesting SI2 that is just eye visible (means there is unlikely to be any transparency issues) as no one gets close enough to see.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

(And @Wink & Brittany from WF will back me up -- they've tested me, face up, from several feet away.)

I did inadvertently test Running with Scissors. I had a slotted tray with five 2 ct plus diamonds randomly placed on it, each a different color, waiting to share with her and her husband when they arrived at my office.

When we were coming back to my desk, while still several feet away, she took a deep breath and when she let it out told me how incredible the D was. I asked her to tell me the order of the five diamonds and she did, flawlessly and with no hesitation whatsoever. I had not intended to test her, but she exceeded any test I could have devised.

I admit to being "just a little" envious of her incredible ability.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results