shape
carat
color
clarity

Old cut lovers - how passionate are you about diamond studs also being old cut?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm curious about how many of you in the "old cut club" which I am now thrilled to be a part of, feel strongly about diamond stud earrings also being old cut? Or do you still prefer mrbs for studs? Or does it matter? I don't think I would ever buy another mrb diamond ring for example. If I get an upgrade it for a ring it will definitely be an old cut. But for studs, I'm not sure. One day I would love to upgrade to 2ct each ear (I'm at 1.5 now), and I would search for old cut first. But with mrb you can use the numbers, asets, etc to really get an idea of fire/sparkle whereas with old cuts it's tougher. I'm curious to see what you guys think. Also, pics of your earrings would be fun too!!

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
It's something i'm fairly passionate about. When I was shopping for my newest pair (see below) I considered modern cuts just because that gave me more options. But I didn't fall in love with anything.

I also have a strong preference for warmer stones. I'm a redhead with warm autumn coloring so the warmer diamonds look so much better with my coloring and the colors I tend to wear.

I currently have 2 pair of diamond studs, both old cuts. A pair of .84ctw OMCs (K in color) and my new pair of 2.45 OMC K/L in color), in the original Georgian collets.

I'd like to add a pair of OEC studs to the mix at some point. If I do, my favorite niece, who is developing a love of antique jewelry, will probably get my smaller pair as a graduation gift.

DAC7BD7B-91BF-4CA5-8436-E2E275BA335C.jpeg

EBE8002B-F453-46E2-8AB8-A21B161FDC2B.jpeg

I had a pair of MRB studs that were a gift but I almost never wore them; they didn't feel like "me". Most of my jewelry is antique or antique inspired, the MRB studs just didn't work for me. My sister happily took them off my hands a few years ago! I think they were about 1.5ctw but I can't recall offhand.

Tremsi

Rough_Rock
I am so drooling!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't. Almost all of my rings and necklaces (not all but most) are old cuts as I prefer them, but my earrings aren't. My largest studs are just about 1.9 ctw so about .90ish each. I decided that since they weren't large, my hair is long, I'd go for ACA's as I thought they'd show up more and I didn't think that on my ears, the faceting of the old cuts would show that much. I'm not sure if that's right or not. My other studs are smaller, going down to 1.1 ctw so the same theory applied. I can wear a ring with a .9 old cut and see what I love about it but since I don't see my studs much, I thought I'd go for what showed up most when I looked in the mirror and that was ideal cut MRBs. Doesn't mean I'm right. Just what I thought at the time.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have studs but have huggies/drop earrings. If I did have studs it would probably be old cuts too :)

I think I just prefer them to be honest although I don't think I could see them on my ears. I have a MRB pendant/necklace that I do need to replace hahaha.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the one thing I'm probably fussy about - I went for unmentionable OEC studs rather than buy MRB. I really don't like MRB faceting.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know you have your religion, and I understand re rings:
1626409096341.png

But they do not work as earrings.
Light is coming from totally the wrong direction.
There will be zip fire flashes and reduced brilliance.

I could recut those old mine diamonds, loose 1/3rd the carat weight and you would swear on ears they were larger diameter.
Go with the left side on the chart - even see if you can find some 60 60 GIA VG's etc. 842632

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
*sigh* it depends.
Let me tell you a secret take a picture of an oec with a black phone from about 15-20 inches away.
If under the table is pretty much all dark then mount it on an earring and it will blow you away.
These will also rock your world in a pendant or crown/tiara but not so much in a ring.
On the other hand one highly tuned to work in rings is not going to do so well as earrings.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious about how many of you in the "old cut club" which I am now thrilled to be a part of, feel strongly about diamond stud earrings also being old cut? Or do you still prefer mrbs for studs? Or does it matter? I don't think I would ever buy another mrb diamond ring for example. If I get an upgrade it for a ring it will definitely be an old cut. But for studs, I'm not sure. One day I would love to upgrade to 2ct each ear (I'm at 1.5 now), and I would search for old cut first. But with mrb you can use the numbers, asets, etc to really get an idea of fire/sparkle whereas with old cuts it's tougher. I'm curious to see what you guys think. Also, pics of your earrings would be fun too!!

I thought I would want only MRBs, but @missy 's studs changed my mind.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_6975.jpeg

I do like both. It depends on the occasion. I had the 1ctw MRB (but vintage) for years and wore them every day. I would never give up on them. Recently I could buy those wonderful OEC a bit over 2ctw stones from a lovely pricescoper. I adore them. Especially the warm colour. But then I would not say no to another pair of bigger ice white studs MRB or old cuts that go with everything.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of 6mm OEC Moissanites that I am planning to make into a pair of interchangeable drops for my tiny diamond huggies.

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally, I’d like a pair of OEC studs to go with Bella, but ATM with so much going on, I can’t justify the expense.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an old cut girl (ok not a girl anymore but in my heart I still am) at heart. And modern round brilliants don't do it for me. I appreciate them and they are beautiful in their own way but old cuts get me every single time.

So when I was considering a big purchase for studs I knew I had to follow my heart and go for OECs. And not newly cut "old" cuts, which I considered for a moment. Again, they are beautiful too, but not the same as genuine old cuts. For me. And then I saw the "ones". OEC studs. So chunky with a gorgeous glow. Soft pastel colors from within. I knew immediately they were for me. But then I saw the price which was more than I had set for my budget and I tried talking myself out of them. No luck. :lol: And I have @LLJsmom to thank, (or blame as the case may be :lol:) as she helped me realize I needed to go over budget.

I am very (very) happy with my OEC studs and my heart still goes pitter patter when I wear them or look at them. They are very different than MRB studs. Totally different IMO. MRB studs are in your face, bright and white and beautiful. OEC studs invite you to come closer and take a long look. They are more subtle but mesmerizing and make you want to gaze at them for a long time. Those chunky monkey facets and soft glow. They make me swoon.

Most people (in my experience) want the "bright white look at me" studs whereas the OEC studs are more "come hither if you dare" studs. A long cool drink of old cut goodness. No one right choice. It depends on what you prefer and what make your heart beat a little bit faster.

So I ask you, which cut is the cut your heart desires?

bubbalahmaryannandgingerinourfrontyardatbeachhouse.jpg

3 old cut peas in a pod. Bubbalah, MaryAnn and Ginger.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add, most of my earrings are old cut. I have many many pairs of earrings. The great majority old cuts. And I adore each and every one of them. I find them so romantic and soft and feminine in a way that bright MRBs will never be for me. And again, it is important to stress, there is no right cut. Rather it is what is the right cut for you. And your answer might be more than one cut. You might find mixing and matching is best for you. While I generally don't care for the expression "it's all good" in this case that is the truth. It is all good if you love and adore what you choose to wear. They are all beautiful in their own way. And the question should be, what do you find most beautiful and that answer could be more than one choice.

I don't know if you have seen this thread @Mreader but if you haven't you might want to check it out. Lots of yummy earrings.

Here's a teaser pic.

oldcutdangles.jpg

Old cut yummies. :love:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@missy yes I have seen your studs and they’re so gorgeous. Also I know the thread about the dangle he earrings and have posted in it myself ;-) i’m not in a position to upgrade at all at the moment. So it’s more of a curiosity of what everybody thinks. My current studs probably do not meet PS standards because they were acquired before I was an active member and I don’t have the GIA reports on me at the moment but they are Triple X and probably are 60/60s.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
*sigh* it depends.
Let me tell you a secret take a picture of an oec with a black phone from about 15-20 inches away.
If under the table is pretty much all dark then mount it on an earring and it will blow you away.
These will also rock your world in a pendant or crown/tiara but not so much in a ring.
On the other hand one highly tuned to work in rings is not going to do so well as earrings.

That is very interesting!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
1626409096341.png

I could recut those old mine diamonds, loose 1/3rd the carat weight and you would swear on ears they were larger diameter.
Go with the left side on the chart - even see if you can find some 60 60 GIA VG's etc. 1625707457281.png

Saving this chart in my photos!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I decided that since they weren't large, my hair is long, I'd go for ACA's as I thought they'd show up more and I didn't think that on my ears, the faceting of the old cuts would show that much. I'm not sure if that's right or not.
This is what I'm debating. I LOVE my OEC and love seeing everyone's lovely old cut earrings, but I wonder how much would show when you wear them on your ears. Plus I won't be looking at them constantly mesmerized by those chunky facets so is is worth it?

This is fascinating, thank you for sharing.

My next purchase is definitely a pair of classic studs so this is a fascinating discussion!

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I have tiny AVR studs (10 pointers, I VS1) in yellow gold 4 prongs, and they are tiny dots of super bright shinyness all the time. In comparison to my G color GOG hearts & arrows 10 pointers, which are slightly bigger dimensions in white gold, I think the AVRs are brighter, but it might be that the slightly warm color works with my red hair coloring the best. Both are repurposed former side stones from the first two iterations of my engagement ring and I'm so glad that I did it.

In the next year or so I might be getting some slightly bigger but still modest studs (~.6 ctw most likely) and will probably go with MRBs because it is so much easier, but I'm still debating, since I also like everything to go together, and my engagement ring is AVC/AVR (none of my jewelry comes off except to clean it, and I often wear the same earring combo for a year or more).

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This is a great question.
I wanted a smaller pair of OEC studs. But I just bought an antique band with a 5.7 mm center and figured out that the facet pattern is harder to discern at that diameter. However, at 8 mm I would happily go with OECs.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This is a great question.
I wanted a smaller pair of OEC studs. But I just bought an antique band with a 5.7 mm center and figured out that the facet pattern is harder to discern at that diameter. However, at 8 mm I would happily go with OECs.

Yes I had another thread awhile back about mm carat weight needed in order to see the faceting. I need about 1 ct minimum! Also I said share pics but never posted mine lol. Below is one pic of stud on my earlobe (1.5 ct each) and then my 8mm OEC ring.

EFDD07E3-3804-4F9F-A7C4-D8CEC7F5BA4A.jpeg

DC5308B1-3AB5-4F0F-AE50-7D5014C130A8.jpeg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
An experiment.
Hold your ring down as far as your arm will so your arm is vertical and look down on it a well lit room. It sparkles?
Now move your arm to horizontal - as far away as you can. This is about as close as others can get to see your earrings without invading personal space. It is also as close as you get looking in a mirror the distance is doubled).
Now for fun point your arm to the ceiling so the diamond is pointing at the floor - the diamond is very dark.
And to finish off - turn in 360 for each of the three viewing positions.
90% of old cuts will not look very good in the horizontal arm view unless you have a window behind you.
A shallower stone will, and there are some shallow old european cuts - thats what you all need for earrings and pendants.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my OEC earrings on my ear. And I often take selfies. LOL.
I have received compliments on them when wearing them.
I think they are bright and beautiful and one can discern the facet pattern IRL (not in this photo however).

oecearringselfie.jpeg.png

And a photo of the earrings on from a distance. Taken this past winter. Which seems so long ago. How did it go from 20 degrees F to 98 degrees F. Life in the NE USA. But through all the crazy changing extreme weather the one constant is my OEC earrings are beautiful. On the ears and off. IMO.

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.26.41 AM.png

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader here’s a pic to show you what I mean (sorry the pic is not the best-it was a surprisingly difficult one to take). The stones in the antique band are mostly older OECs with pinwheels. The facets look so cute under a loupe.

23586264-20BE-4AC7-BDA4-6920A26F90A4.jpeg

And @missy I think I could see your studs from space :love:

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer OECs for rings and MRBs for earrings (they are WF dangles and everything about them is perfect). For pendants I lean to OECs. For tennis bracelets I’d like to do OECs, but that would be a holy grail / unicorn find.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
1626409096341.png

Go with the left side on the chart - even see if you can find some 60 60 GIA VG's etc. 842632

Garry If I’m reading your chart properly it seems that you are saying for earrings the preference is brightness over fire or scintillation? Do I have that correct? It seems that on PS everyone talks about the importance is fire…

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw someone wearing super ideal studs recently and they were amazing. If I was looking for earrings I might go that route over old cut.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I saw someone wearing super ideal studs recently and they were amazing. If I was looking for earrings I might go that route over old cut.

I still haven't seen super ideals irl and I really want to! Because I think that is how I may lean as well. But I don't know for sure...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, do you have any places near you that carry super ideals? Sorry, I don’t remember where you are located. I have only seen them on a PS’er otherwise I’d be in the same boat.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader, do you have any places near you that carry super ideals? Sorry, I don’t remember where you are located. I have only seen them on a PS’er otherwise I’d be in the same boat.

I am back and forth between middle TN and a TX border town. I should make the 5 hour drive to WF just to see haha but hard to do that when working and a 6 year old!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results