carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Old cut five stone ring

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!
I wanted to share my preloved, new-to-me, ring. I am not sure re what age it is, the seller had two similar looking rings from 1930-1935. I wont speculate!
It has five round old cut diamonds, ca 1.15 tcw, approx H-J, VS. The diamonds all have small culets. In between the prongs there are also 8 tiny diamonds, stated to be rose cuts. I doubt that, they look more like fragments/small irregular pieces, but I cant really tell, they are far too small to see what they are even with my 30 X loupe!
I am in awe of this ring. I never imagined that old cut stones could sparkle like this. They even outshine the asschers in my asscher ER! And the details are amazing. I am happy to give this piece a new loving home. :appl:

20190131_173815.jpg 20190131_173735.jpg 20190131_172644.jpg 20190131_172343.jpg

renwea

Shiny_Rock
Hey I have a ring just like this! Its a favorite. I bought it off LT and I did a happy dance when it came.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey I have a ring just like this! Its a favorite. I bought it off LT and I did a happy dance when it came.

I found your thread and I agree they really are similar! Amazing! Do you know anything more about your ring? It looks gorgeous (I am obviously biased)! Would love to see more pics.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunner!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that’s lovely! Sparkly and super white :appl: bet those high crowns make for a kick-ass profile

bananabrains

Rough_Rock
Stunning ring, and I LOVE it on your pointer! I hope that's where you wear it, cuz it looks amazing! :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! :love:

Stuller makes a very similar 3-stone version of this, but without the tiny diamonds on the top. I’ve often thought about getting it for a couple of my loose old cuts, and have just procrastinated on it.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh that’s lovely! Sparkly and super white :appl: bet those high crowns make for a kick-ass profile

They sure do! Wish modern rb could have crowns like this.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stunning ring, and I LOVE it on your pointer! I hope that's where you wear it, cuz it looks amazing! :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:

I do! I think it looks best like that in this design. Love your avatar btw!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do that! The details are gorgeous with the old cut stones. Ok, again, I am slightly biased. :lol::saint:

Part of my procrastination is that I am leaning toward just making a 5-stone instead with them (I have all the stones already; it’s settling on a design decision I keep waffling over). Then a new project comes along (right now, my hunt for an asscher diamond), and it goes right back to the back burner. :snore:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! :love:

Stuller makes a very similar 3-stone version of this, but without the tiny diamonds on the top. I’ve often thought about getting it for a couple of my loose old cuts, and have just procrastinated on it.

The tiny diamonds are barely visible btw. Seriously super tiny. Even so, they add a sparkle, giving the illusion that the bigger stones kind of melt together. Ah I am the worst at describing these things..

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on a lovey new acquisition. Beautiful!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Part of my procrastination is that I am leaning toward just making a 5-stone instead with them (I have all the stones already; it’s settling on a design decision I keep waffling over). Then a new project comes along (right now, my hunt for an asscher diamond), and it goes right back to the back burner. :snore:

Oh that sure is a hard decision. It is always nice to be able to wear what you have (depending on the price).
I think it is cool to be able to do a design that is close to the era of stones. And, I love that stuller does it in all yg!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous new-to-you ring! I love it. Wear it in much happiness. That family picture is pretty awesome too! :clap:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wowweeeeeeeeeee!!!
Gorgeous. Congratulations!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy ring.:kiss2: Chunkalicious faceting goodness. And buttery richness. LOVE. And that family pic is just :love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful! Congratulations on this gorgeous new piece!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After I picked my jaw up and composed myself! let me just say, all your rings are beautiful, just beautiful and your new one? it's perfect... it's so sparkly! Thank you for sharing!!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh I LOVE it too! If you ever get tired of it send it my way :wavey:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty - you've got a stunner there!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty and super wearable, congrats!!!

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely beautiful. Do you know if they are OECs or OMCs? That could potentially help date the ring. Here's a link to a description differentiating the two: https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/old-mine-cut-diamond/

I have an early 1800s ring with similar tiny diamonds; a jeweler looked at it and said they were more or less polished but not cut pieces of diamond, i forget what he called the cut style. It's possible that rather than being rose cut, your melee is polished chips. Either way it seems likely that with those style of diamonds the cutting would probably date it to the Victorian Era.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results