shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok need opinions on an LOGR I just bought!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So I just bid and won that 8x8 LOGR halo - pic attached.

I initially wanted this setting for my JW blue tourmaline but the setting is too big for it - the tourmaline is 6.6 mm. I really don''t want to customize the setting because then it gets super expensive. On the other hand, I have a 7.9 mm pink tourmaline that would fit - but it''s a little dark. So I have some questions:

1) If I got the 8x8 as it is, would my jeweler be able to make the 6.6 mm blue tourmaline work, or is it just impossible because the size difference is too great? I heard that it''s better for the bezel setting to be bigger than smaller but this might be too big.

2) If the 6.6 won''t work, then I''m considering the pink tourmaline. So do you think it''s too dark for the bezel?

3) And as for the pink tourmaline, if I go with that, I''m considering asking him to make the halo part rose gold and the shank white gold. What do you think? Yay or nay?

Thanks everyone!
1.gif

LOGR8.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Pink tourmaline in front, blue-green behind it

BEGBluePinkTourms.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
The 6.6 is too small for the setting. I''m thinking that it is not worth modifying.

As far as the 7.9 goes, I am not sure that it would be worth messing with changing the gold to pink. When you get the setting just rest in in there and show us how it looks. After you see it I''m sure the answer will be obvious.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Pretty setting, BTW.

And, after seeing the pink, I think I would just go with the setting as it is.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
1) I think it will be too big for the 6.6
2) Not too dark for the pink tourmaline
3) Two tone will be fantastic - how do they turn it into rose gold? Is the treatment permanent?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 10:42:49 PM
Author:Brown.Eyed.Girl
So I just bid and won that 8x8 LOGR halo - pic attached.

I initially wanted this setting for my JW blue tourmaline but the setting is too big for it - the tourmaline is 6.6 mm. I really don't want to customize the setting because then it gets super expensive. On the other hand, I have a 7.9 mm pink tourmaline that would fit - but it's a little dark. So I have some questions:

1) If I got the 8x8 as it is, would my jeweler be able to make the 6.6 mm blue tourmaline work, or is it just impossible because the size difference is too great? I heard that it's better for the bezel setting to be bigger than smaller but this might be too big.

2) If the 6.6 won't work, then I'm considering the pink tourmaline. So do you think it's too dark for the bezel?

3) And as for the pink tourmaline, if I go with that, I'm considering asking him to make the halo part rose gold and the shank white gold. What do you think? Yay or nay?

Thanks everyone!
1.gif
1) The size difference is just too great, and I have the same setting, I think a 7x7 is way too small as it is for that setting.

2) Yes, I think it's way too dark for the bezel based on the picture you showed.

3) Nay.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute. I''m confused. Did you get that setting or is an equivalent one being made for you?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I don''t think that I will be that helpful because I think that I can easily argue for either choice. What stone do you want to set the most right now? Would you be worried about the amount of metal required to bezel the smaller stone (I mean, wouldn''t there be a rather thick band between the stone and the halo to make up the size difference)?

Personally, I don''t think that the pink stone is too dark for this ring. As for the rose gold- I would have to see them side by side to discern if the colors go well together.

Well after writing all this out to you my gut instinct says to set the pink stone in it and keep trying to find a setting for the JW tourmaline because in the end the setting really is meant for a larger stone.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I have the exact ring and it''s been sitting in my drawer for a couple of months now. I''m waiting for a 7.5mm stone and Barry is keeping an eye open for it.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think that the pink tourmaline is too dark for a bezel setting and that the blue stone (my favorite of your collection BTW) is too small to work.

Guess you will just have to get another stone
11.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 10:56:33 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I think that the pink tourmaline is too dark for a bezel setting and that the blue stone (my favorite of your collection BTW) is too small to work.

11.gif
I've been trying to find a near 8x8 cushion for this setting for around three months - no luck. It's much easier to find a 7x7 or a 10x10, but nothing in between. However, a 9mm round will also work in that setting if you get prongs for it. I'm just about to give up my search because I can't find anything in a color I like in a cushion that will be close to the 8x8 mm size. I think some other PS'er has the same exact setting, and she's having difficulty finding a stone to fit as well. I want a light pink, blue, or minty green stone for this setting.

Sorry to disappoint, perhaps you'll be luckier than I am.
9.gif

It is a beautiful setting and I upgraded the diamonds. It's gorgeous, and it's certainly worth the wait to get the right stone.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:05:27 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

11.gif

I''ve been trying to find a near 8x8 cushion for this setting for around three months - no luck. It''s much easier to find a 7x7 or a 10x10, but nothing in between. However, a 9mm round will also work in that setting if you get prongs for it. I''m just about to give up my search because I can''t find anything in a color I like in a cushion that will be close to the 8x8 mm size. I think some other PS''er has the same exact setting, and she''s having difficulty finding a stone to fit as well. I want a light pink, blue, or minty green stone for this setting.

Sorry to disappoint, perhaps you''ll be luckier than I am.
9.gif

It is a beautiful setting and I upgraded the diamonds. It''s gorgeous, and it''s certainly worth the wait to get the right stone.

Oh, I didn''t realize that size was so hard to find
7.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Well the problem is I''d really rather set the blue tourm into a setting like this (and keep a look out for a split shank for the pink one later). Unfortunately, the setting is too big

Diamante, I bought the setting, but I can ask LOGR to customize it and just add the extra charges to how much I paid. The good thing is I have some room since I paid less for it by auction than I would have by BIN so I COULD ask him to make it smaller to fit my stone (maybe a 7x7 for my tourmaline). I''d have to ask him to have it sized anyway for my finger. I guess the question is really whether that pink would look ok in it, either in white gold or in two-tone, and if it''s really too dark to be bezeled, then I''ll ask him to make it smaller to fit the blue one.

Does that make sense?
1.gif
I''m kind of confused on what I want to do!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

11.gif

Enabler
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:05:27 PM

11.gif

I''ve been trying to find a near 8x8 cushion for this setting for around three months - no luck. It''s much easier to find a 7x7 or a 10x10, but nothing in between. However, a 9mm round will also work in that setting if you get prongs for it. I''m just about to give up my search because I can''t find anything in a color I like in a cushion that will be close to the 8x8 mm size. I think some other PS''er has the same exact setting, and she''s having difficulty finding a stone to fit as well. I want a light pink, blue, or minty green stone for this setting.

Sorry to disappoint, perhaps you''ll be luckier than I am.
9.gif

It is a beautiful setting and I upgraded the diamonds. It''s gorgeous, and it''s certainly worth the wait to get the right stone.

Well I was considering having Barry cut me something to fit but I DID remember how long you had been looking for a stone that would fit - and I would want the same colors as you so I doubt I''d have any luck either. I hope you find something though!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 11:11:59 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Thanks everyone!

Well the problem is I'd really rather set the blue tourm into a setting like this (and keep a look out for a split shank for the pink one later). Unfortunately, the setting is too big

Diamante, I bought the setting, but I can ask LOGR to customize it and just add the extra charges to how much I paid. The good thing is I have some room since I paid less for it by auction than I would have by BIN so I COULD ask him to make it smaller to fit my stone (maybe a 7x7 for my tourmaline). I'd have to ask him to have it sized anyway for my finger. I guess the question is really whether that pink would look ok in it, either in white gold or in two-tone, and if it's really too dark to be bezeled, then I'll ask him to make it smaller to fit the blue one.

Does that make sense?
1.gif
I'm kind of confused on what I want to do!
He makes that mount in a 7x7 for the same price really. Can you just swap mountings? In fact, I think that's all he would do is sell you the 7x7.

I think your pink tourmaline would look great in rose gold because it's a darker purplish pink, unless I'm viewing the picture incorrectly on my monitor. Perhaps LOGR can make that in rose gold with prongs for your pink tourmaline. I think that would look gorgeous.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:18:38 PM

Thanks everyone!

Well the problem is I''d really rather set the blue tourm into a setting like this (and keep a look out for a split shank for the pink one later). Unfortunately, the setting is too big

Diamante, I bought the setting, but I can ask LOGR to customize it and just add the extra charges to how much I paid. The good thing is I have some room since I paid less for it by auction than I would have by BIN so I COULD ask him to make it smaller to fit my stone (maybe a 7x7 for my tourmaline). I''d have to ask him to have it sized anyway for my finger. I guess the question is really whether that pink would look ok in it, either in white gold or in two-tone, and if it''s really too dark to be bezeled, then I''ll ask him to make it smaller to fit the blue one.

Does that make sense?
1.gif

He makes that mount in a 7x7 for the same price really. Can you just swap mountings? In fact, I think that''s all he would do is sell you the 7x7.

I think your pink tourmaline would look great in rose gold because it''s a darker purplish pink, unless I''m viewing the picture incorrectly on my monitor.

He does? The same bezeled one, or are you talking about the 7x7 one with prongs?

Do you think the blue one will fit into a 7x7 bezel (since it''s 6.6)?

So all things considered, if it came down to keeping the setting as an 8x8 and setting the pink one in (and maybe changing the head to RG - and TL, it is more purplish-pink - I think you''re seeing it correctly
1.gif
) or asking for it to be made smaller and setting the blue one, which would you pick?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 11:21:52 PM

Thanks everyone!

Does that make sense?
1.gif

He makes that mount in a 7x7 for the same price really. Can you just swap mountings? In fact, I think that''s all he would do is sell you the 7x7.

I think your pink tourmaline would look great in rose gold because it''s a darker purplish pink, unless I''m viewing the picture incorrectly on my monitor.

He does? The same bezeled one, or are you talking about the 7x7 one with prongs?

So all things considered, if it came down to keeping the setting as an 8x8 and setting the pink one in (and maybe changing the head to RG - and TL, it is more purplish-pink - I think you''re seeing it correctly
1.gif
) or asking for it to be made smaller and setting the blue one, which would you pick?
Yes, I do think the 6.6 would fit in the 7x7 bezel quite nicely. Since of the two stones, I''m fonder of the blue tourmaline (sorry, not to knock your gorgeous pink tourmaline, but I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your blue tourmaline), I would set that one first. Hehehehehe!

I also think your blue tourmaline would look awesome in yellow gold vs white gold. I think those seafoam, mint blue green types of tourmalines look best in yellow gold. It gives them more "pop" whereas white gold tends to wash them out, especially if they''re light in saturation. However, if you''re bezeling it in white gold, then white gold might do nicely.

Sorry, I think I just gave you more to think about. I did set my minty Afghan in white gold, but I bezeled it and left the bezel in yellowish color (they didn''t re-rhodium it). I love the two tone effect.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEG: I can''t wait to see your blue tourmaline set. I adore that stone.
30.gif
30.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:28:00 PM
Author: Linda W
BEG: I can''t wait to see your blue tourmaline set. I adore that stone.
30.gif
30.gif

Thanks Linda!
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:27:43 PM

Yes, I do think the 6.6 would fit in the 7x7 bezel quite nicely. Since of the two stones, I''m fonder of the blue tourmaline (sorry, not to knock your gorgeous pink tourmaline, but I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your blue tourmaline), I would set that one first. Hehehehehe!

I also think your blue tourmaline would look awesome in yellow gold vs white gold. I think those seafoam, mint blue green types of tourmalines look best in yellow gold. It gives them more ''pop'' whereas white gold tends to wash them out, especially if they''re light in saturation. However, if you''re bezeling it in white gold, then white gold might do nicely.

Sorry, I think I just gave you more to think about. I did set my minty Afghan in white gold, but I bezeled it and left the bezel in yellowish color (they didn''t re-rhodium it). I love the two tone effect.

I do have a lot to think about now! But that''s ok -
1.gif

I''m going to message LOGR and see what he says about charges/fees. I would like to get this blue tourmaline set too - although I do have a lot of fun taking pictures of it loose
3.gif
I''ll probably stay with all white gold if I go that way though (since I''m not a big wearer of yellow gold).

Thanks TL!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
If he could make the setting 7x7 that would be perfect. I am sure that blue beauty would love to get out every now and than.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks everyone!

Well the problem is I'd really rather set the blue tourm into a setting like this (and keep a look out for a split shank for the pink one later). Unfortunately, the setting is too big

Diamante, I bought the setting, but I can ask LOGR to customize it and just add the extra charges to how much I paid. The good thing is I have some room since I paid less for it by auction than I would have by BIN so I COULD ask him to make it smaller to fit my stone (maybe a 7x7 for my tourmaline). I'd have to ask him to have it sized anyway for my finger. I guess the question is really whether that pink would look ok in it, either in white gold or in two-tone, and if it's really too dark to be bezeled, then I'll ask him to make it smaller to fit the blue one.

Does that make sense?
1.gif
I'm kind of confused on what I want to do!

He makes that mount in a 7x7 for the same price really. Can you just swap mountings? In fact, I think that's all he would do is sell you the 7x7.

I think your pink tourmaline would look great in rose gold because it's a darker purplish pink, unless I'm viewing the picture incorrectly on my monitor.

Do you think the blue one will fit into a 7x7 bezel (since it's 6.6)?

So all things considered, if it came down to keeping the setting as an 8x8 and setting the pink one in (and maybe changing the head to RG - and TL, it is more purplish-pink - I think you're seeing it correctly
1.gif
Forgot to answer your question: Yes, he makes the 7x7 with prongs, but I'm sure you can ask him to make it without prongs. It's the one that LaurenThePartier has about three of with different gems. I don't think he would charge extra to make it without prongs, and the diamond weight is the same on both pieces. See what he says.

If you won it on auction for a low price, I would definitely upgrade the diamonds as well.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
What quality diamonds does LOGR use? D, E, F?? VVS? VS? SI? I?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:48:34 PM
If he could make the setting 7x7 that would be perfect. I am sure that blue beauty would love to get out every now and than.

Very true! I miss seeing it out in the sun - and I''m sure it''s tired of being cooped up in my jewelry box.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 11:56:23 PM
Author: shaunrice
According to LOGR, the default diamonds are SI, G-H. However, I think some are I-clarity, especially if you win a mounting for a low auction bid. I always upgrade the diamonds as a result, and I have been very happy with the clarity and color of them in the upgraded versions. It costs $249/ct to upgrade, and he lists the carat weights for each setting in each listing, so you can calculate the additional cost. The upgraded ones, are supposedly VS but I actually think they're true SI, but very nice and white. On such small mellee, it's difficult to distinguish a difference betwen VS and SI stones I think. JMO.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:54:36 PM

Thanks everyone!

Does that make sense?
1.gif

1.gif

Forgot to answer your question: Yes, he makes the 7x7 with prongs, but I''m sure you can ask him to make it without prongs. It''s the one that LaurenThePartier has about three of with different gems. I don''t think he would charge extra to make it without prongs, and the diamond weight is the same on both pieces. See what he says.

If you won it on auction for a low price, I would definitely upgrade the diamonds as well.

Ah yes, I have that 7x7 setting - although I think I remember you saying that you liked the construction on the 8x8 more? Or am I making that up?
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:59:33 PM
Date: 3/1/2009 11:56:23 PM

Author: shaunrice

According to LOGR, the default diamonds are SI, G-H. However, I think some are I-clarity, especially if you win a mounting for a low auction bid. I always upgrade the diamonds as a result, and I have been very happy with the clarity and color of them in the upgraded versions. It costs $249/ct to upgrade, and he lists the carat weights for each setting in each listing, so you can calculate the additional cost. The upgraded ones, are supposedly VS but I actually think they''re true SI, but very nice and white. On such small mellee, it''s difficult to distinguish a difference betwen VS and SI stones I think. JMO.

Ditto. I didn''t upgrade on my 7x7 LOGR and a couple of the diamonds are gray-ish but the rest are pretty white and sparkly. I think the diamonds on my mom''s customized 7x7 (same setting, but made for a 10x10 stone) were nicer, so it''s kind of a toss-up if you don''t upgrade (Mom''s wasn''t upgraded, nor was mine). It doesn''t really bother me unless I put it right next to the diamonds on my James Allen ring which ARE very white and sparkly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the upgraded diamonds on that setting. This is the clearest pic I could find. I blocked out the stone in the middle to focus attention on the diamonds. I think this is a gorgeous setting. I just wish I could find a stone for it!!

BEG, I don''t know if you''re getting upgraded diamonds, but if you are on the fence about it, this picture really shows you how nice they are for the price point.

TLLOGRdiamonds.JPG

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results