shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh no! Another Ebay Diamond! Newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:05:03 PM
Author: Dee Jay
Ianmac, please don''t!!!

Just couldn''t bear another ''I''ve been screwed by E-Bay'' thread so soon after the last one...
Wouldnt it be nice to hear a
"I got the deal of the century deal on ebay" thread

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 12:54:08 PM
Author: Ianmac
Correct me if I am wrong, but when you get a certified, or ideal stone
your paying a LOT more for it then if it wasnt certified?

I would rather have a larger stone, than a piece of paper grading my stone.

I do like that .7 carat but ALMOST 5.0 in diameter
is a big difference from 5.5
That''s 0.5 mm difference is not going to be noticeable. That also means that the stone in the ebay stone is really deep if it faces up only a tad better than a .7ct.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Far from a diamond expert but I just went through the buying process. Big sparkling stones have good cuts. I think everyone just wants you to get the best stone for your money

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:03:17 PM
Wow... you all seem to be diamond connisours.
Im just looking for a BIG SPARKLY stone.
2.gif
If you''re looking for a SPARKLY stone...ebay is not the way to go. The seller doesn''t give enough information for us to determine the cut, same goes for the other princess you posted. Cut is the most important factor in determining whether a diamond sparkles.

If you''re looking to maximize size for your money, I''d recomment going with a round as they face up much bigger than a princess. Another alternative to consider and this is something that I have and personally love is one of the H&A Square cuts or Jubilee.

Please do us and your future fiance and your wallet a favor by reading a little about cut.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:03:17 PM
Wow... you all seem to be diamond connisours.
Im just looking for a BIG SPARKLY stone.
2.gif
Ha ha, well you ARE in a diamond forum are you not? /idealbb/editor/cute/images/emwink.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:07:01 PM

Ianmac, please don''t!!!

Just couldn''t bear another ''I''ve been screwed by E-Bay'' thread so soon after the last one...
''I got the deal of the century deal on ebay'' thread
This is funny.

Seriously dude, why are you even asking? and PS''ers why are you answering?!! They never listen!

Just buy your eBay diamond and please let us know how that works for you. You obviously don''t want to take FIVE MINUTES to learn about what you really should be looking for in a diamond....so god only knows what you will end up with. We are huge diamond lovers here and most would never recommend a random eBay diamond OR a random EGL certed steep deep princess.

Good luck!

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:13:36 PM
Author: Mara

Ianmac, please don''t!!!

''I got the deal of the century deal on ebay'' thread
This is funny.

Seriously dude, why are you even asking? and PS''ers why are you answering?!! They never listen!

Just buy your eBay diamond and please let us know how that works for you. You obviously don''t want to take FIVE MINUTES to learn about what you really should be looking for in a diamond....so god only knows what you will end up with. We are huge diamond lovers here and most would never recommend a random eBay diamond OR a random EGL certed steep deep princess.

Good luck!
Please dont get upset... Trust me I have been reading about diamonds 24/7 for the last 2 weeks
I know that CUT is the most important thing, I also know that there is NO way to distinguish cut based on any cert or online.
I figured this would be worth a shot, send it to the appraiser that is mentioned here out of Royal Oak, and let him determine if
I got screwed or not. Obviously this is a bad idea.

Please, let me know what I should do.

Round is OUT OF THE QUESTION because my future fiancee wants a square cut platinum ring with baguettes.
I dont want ANYTHING she will be embarrassed to show off, thats why I am coming to all of you!

Matt

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:20:43 PM

Date: 3/1/2006 1:13:36 PM

Ianmac, please don't!!!

Just couldn't bear another 'I've been screwed by E-Bay' thread so soon after the last one...
'I got the deal of the century deal on ebay' thread
This is funny.

Seriously dude, why are you even asking? and PS'ers why are you answering?!! They never listen!

Just buy your eBay diamond and please let us know how that works for you. You obviously don't want to take FIVE MINUTES to learn about what you really should be looking for in a diamond....so god only knows what you will end up with. We are huge diamond lovers here and most would never recommend a random eBay diamond OR a random EGL certed steep deep princess.

Good luck!
Please dont get upset... Trust me I have been reading about diamonds 24/7 for the last 2 weeks
I know that CUT is the most important thing, I also know that there is NO way to distinguish cut based on any cert or online.
I figured this would be worth a shot, send it to the appraiser that is mentioned here out of Royal Oak, and let him determine if
I got screwed or not. Obviously this is a bad idea.

Please, let me know what I should do.

Round is OUT OF THE QUESTION because my future fiancee wants a square cut platinum ring with baguettes.
I dont want ANYTHING she will be embarrassed to show off, thats why I am coming to all of you!

Matt
I'm going to give it to you straight since it seems as though you actually do want something beautiful. With a $4k budget, you need to choose...an ideal cut 1ct stone or a platinum setting with baguettes? It's not looking like you can have both. You might, however, be able to swing a .80ct princess in a platinum setting with baguettes, and that's something I doubt your gf would be ashamed of. If the setting means a lot to her (and it means a lot to a lot of people...it meant a lot to me!) then this is the way I'd go. The size difference won't be huge, especially if you were considering a poorly cut 1ct, which would face up as an .80ct ideal would anyway.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I replied to you with a link to a Bluenile stone. It looked like a good possibility, and they do have a 30 day return policy. You can take the diamond to an appraiser and get it evaluated in this timeframe. They also have a setting with side baguettes either in white gold or in platinum. The white gold runs about $500 which would put the ring at about $3150, and the platinum setting is $1075 which would make the ring about $3800.

ETA: here's the link to the stone again:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00953543

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Thanks... That really does make a lot of sense..
This is the reply I got when I said I wouldnt be making the purchase cause nobody seemed to trust her:

Good Morning Matt,
The diamond was taken out of the mounting when first purchased. That is how we have an accurate weight.
As for the measurements and who you are speaking with, I cannot give you the accurate one without taking it out again on the depth. Really no need to do that , especially with a princess cut. It has been weighed already. The two side diamonds, tapered baguettes, weigh another .20CTS so the ring is 1.26CT total weight.

As for clarity enhancements, no there is none. Looks like there should be with this price.

If you do not purchase at this time, I possibly will raise the price on this diamond.

In anycase, I wish you luck on your decision.

Have a good day,
and I do not mind the questions, I really do stand behind my merchandise!
Sincerely,
LorriMichelle,GG
Graduate Gemologist

I love when someone says something like "If I do not purchase at this time I will possibly raise the price!!!!"

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you really want a ring she can be proud of, size while compromising cut quality is not the way to go.

Princess stones are inherently not the best cut stones to begin with, if you want the best light return ever, you should go with a round. But since that is out of the question, you have to be even more careful with how you select your princess.

Don''t go for the best looking deal aka biggest for most money. That eBay stone won''t be it. Nor will your friend''s EGL. Carat weight in terms of a princess many times MEANS NOTHING because you could be carrying so much weight in a 80% depth that it''s taken from the top of the diameter of the stone and you have a stone that looks like a .80c but is a 1c. Whats the point of that.

Have you checked out GOG or WF or James Allen? Work with a vendor who can get you an IDEALSCOPE image for your diamond. That is a great way to find a great diamond online for a fancy like this. Look for great light return. You may have to get smaller but seriously TRUST ME if the diamond sparkles more and returns more light to the eye of the wearer, they will be much happier with a slightly smaller diamond than a big glassy looking dull one. Having had that glassy looking diamond previously in a round and now having an ideal, I would NEVER go back, not even for size.

So if you are really serious, take the time to do the research and work with a good vendor...it doesn''t have to a ''super ideal'' princess, but work with a reputable vendor who can help you find what you are looking for within your budget, it is NOT so far fetched that you have to shop on eBay.

And for the record I am not upset, you just sounded like you already had your mind made up that you could find some spectacular deal on eBay when in reality unfortunately those are a one in a million chance to find something like that. It''s more like frustration!

Also check out DBL (www.diamondsbylauren.com)..I don''t know if he sells colorless princesses but he is an eBay vendor and also posts on PS here and is very reputable...so you may be able to find a ''deal'' through him and he has lovely stones.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
"I got the deal of the century deal on ebay" thread>>>>>

Oh, believe me, Ianmac, there is nothing we would love more! A great diamond at a great price? You'll never find a Pricescoper who wouldn't love that! (But we're just trying to offer advice -- which is what you asked for -- and unfortunately your scenario does not lend itself to a fairy tale happy ending based on the stories we've heard lately, and based on what the experts have already told you about the stone.)

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
What about the fact that this is an SI2? Doesnt that mean visual imperfections?
Or will that be alright since its a graded stone?

Damn near the same size as the Ebay rock... THANKS!
You are all so helpful!

I would rather spend the extra 1000

Date: 3/1/2006 1:25:41 PM
Author: coda72
I replied to you with a link to a Bluenile stone. It looked like a good possibility, and they do have a 30 day return policy. You can take the diamond to an appraiser and get it evaluated in this timeframe. They also have a setting with side baguettes either in white gold or in platinum. The white gold runs about $500 which would put the ring at about $3150, and the platinum setting is $1075 which would make the ring about $3800.

ETA: here''s the link to the stone again:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00953543

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Sorry - double post.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:27:38 PM

If you do not purchase at this time, I possibly will raise the price on this diamond.

<

Wow... that makes a ton of sense. It is an auction on ebay and if no one buys it, she will raise the price?

38.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding up the relevant stats.....

Date: 3/1/2006 12:01:11 PM
Author:Ianmac

5.2 x 5.5 x 4.2 (approx) diamond is mounted and hard to determine depth.
I understand this depth is a bit large 80% plus but I also understand you cannot determine anything from that alone.

In this case.. ok, it is quite extreme so yes, something can be concluded from depth alone - this stone surely gets discounted for being overly deep.! It may be ncie, but I doubt that - can't imagine what would make it look brilliant with that depth - probably an equally exagerated high crown and that never happens on princess cuts. So... that's why the deep one get discounted.

In a platinum setting with .20 carats of baguettes on the side.

Total price 2650 + ship.

I wouldn't go to crazy about the setting - the smallest baguette cuts are usually glassy. Better w/o.

The price reflects the cut trouble... and the size of the stone.

I would not give allot of credit to the claim that this particuilar uncertified 'J' is more like 'I' than 'K'. What's a seller gonna tell you - that's one the worse side? If you asked 'why is the price so low' maybe they would have given that as a reason
31.gif
You never know...

Anyway. I don't know the seller and never paid any attention to Ebay feedback whatsoever. That's a world in itself... I do some Ebay-ing, not much. And always selected the seller by the same criteria I would a store on the ground: about those you never get thousands and thousands of feedback lines and no one misses them, as far as I can tell. Other things seem more relevant - like the quality of the merchandise.
5.gif
So what if this one is nice? I just have no way to know. The description doesn't help it. Since there are no paper, no stas, no picture no nothing .... hopefully there is at least a return policy so that you get to see what you are getting.

And from the description, other than the BIG depth and lack of lab report, there's nothing there. I wish it were a very nice diamond. Yo do get some barnded princess cuts these days, nearly 80% deep and sold at a premium because of optimized proportions demonstrated via all the freakin' 'scopes (IdealScope, BrillianceScope) and Whatever else. Run a search for 'Superbcert' to see some.

And if comparing the goods with the much sung and praised ideal cuts holds some meaning, you could try one of the DIY cut grading tools out thre (IdealScope and ASET, ther should be others).

Or ditch the deal and try out a seller who would do that for you off the bat.

My 2c

Btw... the size issue: the way princess cuts are cut, it is more likely to find lots of different depth and weights for the same diameter, than larger, less deep cut stones. So... that 5.3mm may rather hapen among deep 1 caraters than weight-saving .8cts diamonds. Too bad... but this is it. This also makes princess cut diamonds one of the shapes with the highest yield and relatively low price per carat (in theory).

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
SI2''s can be eyeclean. Bluenile should be able to get this stone in for you and tell you if it''s eyeclean or not. If they can''t or won''t do that, maybe they''re not the right vendor to work with.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I really like this stone:

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php?crn=209&rn=392&action=show_detail

It's a 1.00c J VS2 GIA princess cut diamond from Diamonds By Lauren for $3100. He also has a double baguette setting for $995 in WG. So $4k for the ring.

It has tons of pictures and specs. It's almost a perfect square and faces up at 5.5mm. He may do an idealscope for you, I'm not sure.

But I know he sells and stocks beautiful stuff.

Personally for me I would not buy a princess from Blue Nile, as they will most likely not be able to get you pictures of the stone OR an idealscope or anything other than the specs as listed and for me buying a fancy online I'd need more.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
good find, Mara!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I personally wouldn''t buy anything lower than an H for a fancy cut stone, but that''s just me. I would rather take the chance on Bluenile''s stone than buying the ring from Diamonds by Lauren. I personally would never buy anything from Diamonds by Lauren, but that''s also just me.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:37:19 PM
Okay I really like this stone:

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php?crn=209&rn=392&action=show_detail

It''s a 1.00c J VS2 GIA princess cut diamond from Diamonds By Lauren for $3100. He also has a double baguette setting for $995 in WG. So $4k for the ring.

It has tons of pictures and specs. It''s almost a perfect square and faces up at 5.5mm. He may do an idealscope for you, I''m not sure.

But I know he sells and stocks beautiful stuff.

Personally for me I would not buy a princess from Blue Nile, as they will most likely not be able to get you pictures of the stone OR an idealscope or anything other than the specs as listed and for me buying a fancy online I''d need more.
Not that it''s a bad stone at all (and I really know nothing about Princesses), but isn''t it bad when the table is larger than the depth? That stone''s depth is 73 and the table is 76.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
can''t believe you people are actually wasting your time replying to someone who has complete disregard to quality and expert opinions.

give it up guys, he doesn''t care what you people think..he already has his mind set.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:41:03 PM
Author: coda72
I personally wouldn''t buy anything lower than an H for a fancy cut stone, but that''s just me. I would rather take the chance on Bluenile''s stone than buying the ring from Diamonds by Lauren. I personally would never buy anything from Diamonds by Lauren, but that''s also just me.
Have you been burned by them or something? I always thought they had a pretty good reputation.

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Alright I just heard from the ebay seller again.
I asked her if she was willing to remove the stone and send it out to an independant appraiser of my choice.

If she is willing to do this should I try it, or should I just let it die...

I trust BlueNile more than Diamonds by Lauren
but I dont know...

You got me terrified of Ebay now!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:46:11 PM
Alright I just heard from the ebay seller again.
I asked her if she was willing to remove the stone and send it out to an independant appraiser of my choice.

If she is willing to do this should I try it, or should I just let it die...

I trust BlueNile more than Diamonds by Lauren
but I dont know...

You got me terrified of Ebay now!
Let it die! We''ve posted several beautiful alternatives. Look over this thread again, click on some links, and most importantly, READ up! I''ve seen poorly cut princess diamonds before and they''re pretty sad looking. No life, no sparkle. If that''s what you want for your gf, go for it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
eBree it's not quite so cut and dry with fancy stones IMO....I know that David hand-chooses his stones like GOG does, and everything I have ever seen someone buy from him was fairly priced and represented. He and I don't always agree on things in the forum but I know he does sell nice stuff. And it's a great place to find a 'bargain' that is really a quality piece. It may be a great place for Ian to find a 'deal' that isn't really chancy. If I was shopping for a fancy like an asscher or a yellow stone, I would probably go to David and see what he had in stock.

Oh Ian also, DBL has a single baguette setting, its $700 in WG.

In terms of trusting who over who, I would personally never buy a diamond from Blue Nile...but I would hands down buy from any of the PS vendors including DBL if they had something I wanted. I prefer more personal service.

I would let the eBay diamond die a quick death personally. Esp after the 'if you don't buy it I will raise the price' comment. Tell her to have fun with that.

Anyway I'm done with this thread...I made my recommendation as did many others and now its your job Ian to figure things out for yourself.

Good luck.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Just let that eBay one go!! You''re just wasting your time. Focus on PS and all the options you are given here. You won''t regret it!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results