shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh dear did I buy a fake!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This pricing makes no note of color quality.

Location/origin plays a factor in pricing as well.

ETA: color quality IS listed per GIA gemset, and that is a huge factor. My apologies for missing it .

Most guides, including this one, only include a premium for Burma. I assumed it wasn't from Burma.
"The Guide" has prices for non origin specific, Burma and Mozambique.
Glass filled ruby that size would be about $50 to $100 per ct.

Ruby are tricky, slight difference in color and be big changes in price.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe a ruby that has been flux treated is still called a natural ruby. I’ve seen ruby reports where they talk of heated rubies with insignificant residues H1 , heated with moderate residues H2 and heated with significant residues H3. All still stating the ruby as “natural”.
So the issue for the gemologist or assessor isn’t so much whether it’s lab or natural, more so the level of treatments applied. Increased treatments = lower price.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe a ruby that has been flux treated is still called a natural ruby. I’ve seen ruby reports where they talk of heated rubies with insignificant residues H1 , heated with moderate residues H2 and heated with significant residues H3. All still stating the ruby as “natural”.
So the issue for the gemologist or assessor isn’t so much whether it’s lab or natural, more so the level of treatments applied. Increased treatments = lower price.

This is correct, and the amount of healing does effect the price, but nothing close to glass filled. One popular guide for "Good" quality reduces the price 0-5% for slight to moderate flux, and 10-20% for moderate to extensive. For "Fine" quality stones, the reduction is a little more, 15-30%.

It must be very stressful for a consumer to buy an expensive ruby. I look at expensive opals in Tucson, and I love them, but have no idea how to buy them. A dealer will show me two stones, each one beautiful, and one will be 3 times the price of the other, and to me, you could either way on which is nicer.

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
This is correct, and the amount of healing does effect the price, but nothing close to glass filled. One popular guide for "Good" quality reduces the price 0-5% for slight to moderate flux, and 10-20% for moderate to extensive. For "Fine" quality stones, the reduction is a little more, 15-30%.

It must be very stressful for a consumer to buy an expensive ruby. I look at expensive opals in Tucson, and I love them, but have no idea how to buy them. A dealer will show me two stones, each one beautiful, and one will be 3 times the price of the other, and to me, you could either way on which is nicer.

I think I have come to the conclusion if it’s not lead glass or fracture filled I will be happy with it. If it’s heated with moderate residues for the price and carat and overall look I can’t be too fussy. Thanks for all your help and feedback. It’s much appreciated. I’ve been collecting jewellery for a long time and Ruby has been the most complex gem I have come across this far.
Cheers
Wen

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you also ok if it was BE diffused? At that price, I would expect a whole lot more treatment. It is suspiciously low. Most stores do not know much about coloured gemstones, so it isn't whether they are willing to risk their reputation. They simply have no idea about CS and treatments.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
if it was a glass filled Ruby it would cost them around $70 to purchase the stone wouldn’t it? Surely a reputable jeweller that’s been around for 20 years wouldn’t risk buying that and selling as a Natural Ruby.

If the jeweler knew they were buying a glass filled ruby, and that is a big if.

A jeweler I once spoke to told me that he can't distinguish between treated and untreated stones by looking at them alone. He said that when he goes to gem shows to buy, a supplier can show him a handful of untreated rubies next to a handful glass filled ones and he can't see a difference. And then he proceeded to tell me that for this reason he sells the gems as they were sold to him, and he knows nothing more.

To be honest, for that kind of money, I think it would be reasonable to get a lab report. Especially considering how extensive and versatile ruby treatments can be. With each similar discussion I become more and more convinced that there's a lot of confusion about what each treatment is, how it's called and what it means. So get a lab report, find out the level of treatment, read up on what it entails and then decide if it's acceptable to you or not.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it is wise these days to buy a ruby without a lab report. The level and types of treatments have a huge impact on value. Accepting treatments or being lab grown is perfectly fine, you just have to be sure you are paying a fair price for what you are buying.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don’t think it is wise these days to buy a ruby without a lab report. The level and types of treatments have a huge impact on value. Accepting treatments or being lab grown is perfectly fine, you just have to be sure you are paying a fair price for what you are buying.

Very good advice, especially for ruby and higher priced sapphires.

Now the other day I did have someone ask if I could provide paperwork on a 1.3 ct lab created sapphire!

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
Wow what a let down. I’ve just called the Jewellers to check if my Ruby I had on layby was lead glass filled, as they never called me back about it after a week. The ring apparently went back to the supplier and they have said it’s lead glass filled. Can’t believe I was gonna buy such rubbish. They said to come in and get my deposit back.
Lol
I think I’ll just give up on my search.
As I look back at all the photos of the Ruby I see a slight blue flash. Now it all makes sense if that Ruby was natural with heat it would be worth 3 x the price.
Thanks all x

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
I just looked at this Ruby ring that was set in a cluster. It was priced at $25k Aud. 1.78ct no heat excellent grade. I’ll have to save my pennies. Unfortunately they wouldn’t allow me to take a photo of the ring. 7BC030D8-7EA7-4372-8391-EE24B4CBAD23.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A8A3339-4786-4200-A78A-0F3A901BD2E8.jpeg
    6A8A3339-4786-4200-A78A-0F3A901BD2E8.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 14

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
I bought a Ruby
It’s a sparkly little thing
2.15 Carat Pear Burmese
E8C6A6C6-2FA0-47EF-82DA-8E82FEE26FBD.png

Attachments

• B282D014-4CE2-4443-8BD2-84D258B23A86.jpeg
    B282D014-4CE2-4443-8BD2-84D258B23A86.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 55C74F35-67D1-496F-93F2-8D3947BF7683.png
    55C74F35-67D1-496F-93F2-8D3947BF7683.png
    1 MB · Views: 29

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
its a kitty cat :kiss2:

Ha ha yes I see that now. It’s a size N and I need to resize to a J. This was the most sparkly Ruby I have seen in person. I can’t wait to resize and pick it up. Pear rubies are probably not everyone’s cup of tea but for the price and overall look I just had to have it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha ha yes I see that now. It’s a size N and I need to resize to a J. This was the most sparkly Ruby I have seen in person. I can’t wait to resize and pick it up. Pear rubies are probably not everyone’s cup of tea but for the price and overall look I just had to have it.

its a beautiful colour like a boiled lolly from Air NZ
im so glad you got your ruby and you didnt ahve to wait too long (that other one was just a false start to test your desire)
B_wnRUtW8AAq67i.jpg

if you have ever flown with Air NZ you might remember the lollies they dish out near to descent
the colours are quite intense
good luck with the resize
hopefully straight forward
dont forget to post a hand shot when you get it back

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
its a beautiful colour like a boiled lolly from Air NZ
im so glad you got your ruby and you didnt ahve to wait too long (that other one was just a false start to test your desire)
B_wnRUtW8AAq67i.jpg

if you have ever flown with Air NZ you might remember the lollies they dish out near to descent
the colours are quite intense
good luck with the resize
hopefully straight forward
dont forget to post a hand shot when you get it back

Ha ha no I don’t recall the lollies. I’ve only been to NZ once.
In fact I had 4 false starts. Laybyed a Ruby ring in August last year. Made last payment before Xmas only for them to say they lost the ring, they think it was stolen. Thankfully refunded me. Then the fake Ruby was a garnet, got refund for that. . Then the large one at Jewellers they come back say it was at suppliers they think lead glass filled lol
Then over weekend nearly bought one on EBay but I cancelled order coz they can’t resize from R to J and voila now found this! I tell you I’ve almost become a pro on looking at rubies. Looked at them in person at Gregory Jewellers and Cerrone. So expensive then found this decent pear.
Thanks and enjoy the rest of your weekend x
Wen

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha ha no I don’t recall the lollies. I’ve only been to NZ once.
In fact I had 4 false starts. Laybyed a Ruby ring in August last year. Made last payment before Xmas only for them to say they lost the ring, they think it was stolen. Thankfully refunded me. Then the fake Ruby was a garnet, got refund for that. . Then the large one at Jewellers they come back say it was at suppliers they think lead glass filled lol
Then over weekend nearly bought one on EBay but I cancelled order coz they can’t resize from R to J and voila now found this! I tell you I’ve almost become a pro on looking at rubies. Looked at them in person at Gregory Jewellers and Cerrone. So expensive then found this decent pear.
Thanks and enjoy the rest of your weekend x
Wen

5th time lucky Wen :lol-2:
thank you
enjoy your weekend too

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent, such a cute and very pretty ring.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is an interesting article in the Current AGTA Prism magazine about lab reports, and how we have gone from selling beautiful gems to selling paper. The article talks about what gems should get a report etc.

I think you can view it online here:

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
There is an interesting article in the Current AGTA Prism magazine about lab reports, and how we have gone from selling beautiful gems to selling paper. The article talks about what gems should get a report etc.

I think you can view it online here:

Thank you. Very interesting read

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
Picked her up and now at Jewellers for resize. Was nice to see the Ruby going all the way up on my diamond tester like my Ceylon Sapphire. Now just have to work out what way I wear it lol. What do you think?
ECA16514-AB0D-40B8-B5DB-E231E9E9EAD5.jpeg

Attachments

• B9D72567-1566-4674-9D63-390EEAAED951.jpeg
    B9D72567-1566-4674-9D63-390EEAAED951.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 11
  • E98B0116-5507-4940-9533-CACE932BFC35.jpeg
    E98B0116-5507-4940-9533-CACE932BFC35.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 10
  • 5F34266D-4A41-4798-8861-D7C55646E841.jpeg
    5F34266D-4A41-4798-8861-D7C55646E841.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 11
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results