shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh Crap - My FI just got laid off!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:29:33 AM
Author: EricaR
p.s. Freke, are you making a statement about my body with those ''big ass hugs''????????? I''m shocked and mortally offended!
Of course not, and you know it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear this! What bad timing! I think a Vegas wedding would be a lot of fun. I have always told you to elope! Haha. Everything will work out. I really do believe that.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so nice of your friends. I think accepting it with the view of paying it back as soon as you can is a good idea. D sounds the same as your Fi in that he''s always doing something so it was a big blow to him when he lost his. I just tried to get him to do things daily as I think that if he had just sat there he would have gotten really depressed. Best of luck to your Fi.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry Erica. I am going to keep you and your FI in my prayers and sending dust your way...
7.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that''s a great decision.
3.gif

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Erica, what horrible news, and right before the wedding too
14.gif
You guys must be so disappointed (((hugs))) I''m going to echo everyone''s suggestion and say go for the Vegas wedding, and like Freke said, you could always visit Mexico for your 1 year anniversary. By the way, that''s great news about your inheritance coming through!

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I feel so bad! Hang in there! I hope that whatever you guys decide to do, I hope that you guys will be happy and enjoy it!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Erica, I think you should take the money, have the wedding, and pay them back as soon as you are able. Your friends want to see you happy and have the wedding you want.

I''m not sure which area of Mexico you were planning on, but if it''s anywhere near the coast, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, or the other more scenic beachy spots that are popular for vacations (like Cabo or Acapulco) I don''t think you have to worry. I can only really speak for Cancun and Playa but I was paranoid too about crime before going, but the resorts are super super safe. So are the cities for the most part - BF and I just took a night walking around (non-touristy) parts of Cancun and we were fine. But esp. if you are going to have the wedding and spend a lot of time at a resort, I doubt you need to worry.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
BEG - we''ll actually be in Playa del Carmen which is why I''m not too worried!

Right now we are leaning towards taking our friends up on their offer. Last night we sat down and pulled all the various quotes and estimates together into one spreadsheet so we can show our friends exactly what we are asking for. I''m sure they just want to give us a handfull of cash, but K and I would be much more comfortable will full transparancy so they know where their money is going. We are making a few modifications to the trip - only staying 8 nights vs the 15 we originally discussed, cutting back on arranged tours/excursions to places and taking the local bus, hitting a grocery store when we get there and make/bring lunches with us everywhere, etc.

I also out and out emailed my parents to ask if they are going to contribute any money to the wedding. They''ve said a few times that they want to help, but last night I sent them the budget with a note that I wasn''t pressuring them to give us money, I just wanted to know how much we need to get from our friends.

luvbug

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about FI''s job
8.gif
It sounds like you have a great support system around you and a wonderful can-do attitude about the whole thing.
My FI was laid off in Oct and was working again by Dec. Turns out he got a raise and loves his new job - I''ll be wishing the same luck for you. Good Luck & stay positive!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results