shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC zircon...a bit disappointed

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I saw this 8ct oec cut zircon and just HAD to get it. Seller told me was light medium. Which was fine with me, as I actually prefer the lighter turquoise color. I was so looking forward to this stone, but it came today & it's not at all the color I expected. The cutting is beautiful, but I'm so sad about the color.

I just emailed Jeff White about commissioning one from him. The one he cut for @bright ice was phenomenal.

Compared with my other 2 zircons in pics.
20200917_161431.jpg 20200917_161458.jpg 20200917_161520.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
aww, I'd be bummed too. Zircons are heated and some do revert back to their original brown colors sometimes. I've had two old euro cuts in a pendant do that, they were in a deco piece. But after some googling, I read that UV light can bring it back so I left it in the sun a few mins and it turned back to a bright blue. It seems not all heat treatment is stable.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
aww, I'd be bummed too. Zircons are heated and some do revert back to their original brown colors sometimes. I've had two old euro cuts in a pendant do that, they were in a deco piece. But after some googling, I read that UV light can bring it back so I left it in the sun a few mins and it turned back to a bright blue. It seems not all heat treatment is stable.

I remember reading something like that from a cutter too.

It’s a very silly question. Blueish zircon could look as good as some of the commercial grade Paraíba type tourmaline. Is it a good alternative?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock

The seller was surprised by my pics, said he never saw it with those colors. So now I wonder if you might be right? He sent me pics of the actual rough it came out of (from Joe Henley) and here are 2 stills from the cutters videos in different light.
I am SO disappointed, the cutting is amazing, the dispersion is mesmerizing. If this had better color I'd be on cloud 9!
20200917_180300.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw this 8ct oec cut zircon and just HAD to get it. Seller told me was light medium. Which was fine with me, as I actually prefer the lighter turquoise color. I was so looking forward to this stone, but it came today & it's not at all the color I expected. The cutting is beautiful, but I'm so sad about the color.

I just emailed Jeff White about commissioning one from him. The one he cut for @bright ice was phenomenal.

Compared with my other 2 zircons in pics.
20200917_161431.jpg 20200917_161458.jpg 20200917_161520.jpg

It still looks quite pretty on its own away from the other two
I quite like the sea green look

still i understand your disappointment

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So I chatted with Michelle (mvmgems) who cut this. She couldn't believe my pics either, said she never saw it that color. She suggested I expose it to incandescent light for awhile. So I'm going to try that. I'll let ya know if miracles occur.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
This looks like a stone that riouxrocks was offering on insta for awhile. Did you have it set (the first photo) or is it still loose?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
yes, that's this stone! It's not set, just put it in a plastic ring mold I had.

I think the incandescent light might have worked, but I'll be able to tell better tomorrow in natural light. Fingers crossed. I so want to keep this!
20200917_212551.jpg
20200917_222055.jpg

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
yes, that's this stone! It's not set, just put it in a plastic ring mold I had.

I think the incandescent light might have worked, but I'll be able to tell better tomorrow in natural light. Fingers crossed. I so want to keep this!

Got it!! Give it all the light treatment it needs!! I almost bought this stone, it's the exact same dimensions as the OEC in my engagement ring in my profile image. Fingers crossed for you! ❤️

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Also I'd sit down and think if you really want to keep a gem that you have to almost "charge" if you will under the light or it'll turn muddy. That may sound exciting- like a game or for people like me that sounds tiring. Almost like taking a certain medication on time or you get really sick.

The faceting is truly beautiful but the color is really no bueno...I'm so sorry that this has been a less than thrilling purchase. Both of those IG vendors seem so sweet so I really think it was brighter but that for whatever reason it reverts back to the muddy color without light.

I hope it all works out girly ♥️

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, so if the color is corrected by incandescent light, it will get muddy again? Michelle asked if it had been exposed to UV light from a tanning bed or nail salon (literally got this only hours ago, so NO) but I thought maybe (?) It was exposed to some kind of xray in the postal system?

I do not want a ring I have to "charge" up. (My lord, one more thing that would make dh ask: "What are you doing?!")

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, so if the color is corrected by incandescent light, it will get muddy again? Michelle asked if it had been exposed to UV light from a tanning bed or nail salon (literally got this only hours ago, so NO) but I thought maybe (?) It was exposed to some kind of xray in the postal system?

I do not want a ring I have to "charge" up. (My lord, one more thing that would make dh ask: "What are you doing?!")

Hmm...I honestly don't know but I just thought if it was a beautiful blue and changed that there's a good chance once that beautiful blue that it would change again.

Hopefully I'm wrong though, but plain lighting forever changing the stones color seems so odd to me!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So I chatted with Michelle (mvmgems) who cut this. She couldn't believe my pics either, said she never saw it that color. She suggested I expose it to incandescent light for awhile. So I'm going to try that. I'll let ya know if miracles occur.

Maybe this:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Maybe this:

This is the article mvm forwarded to me and suggested I try incandescent light.
But if uv exposure is the issue, I don't know how it happened? It looked off colored when I opened the package. I can only assume something odd happened on its way to me ?
Anyway, experiment seems to be successful, but tomorrow's daylight will decide.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not the first time I heard about heated Zircon fading. I hope its colour will intensifies by light exposure, as the cut looks good!

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE I am sorry the color changed (though thankfully only temporarily). It looks like exposure to an incandescent source will restore its blue color (and in a relatively short time frame ie 20 minutes) but you have to be careful about exposing it to long wave UV light because it can change back to a brownish color. I mean you can then re-expose it to incandescent light and get it back to blue but not sure how much effort you want to put into maintaining the color. It is a beautiful faceting pattern however and I hope it works out for you.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It looked off colored when I opened the package. I can only assume something odd happened on its way to me ?

I wonder if the flight exposed it to more radiation than it would typically get, or perhaps before the vendor packed it, it sat in the sun for a bit. If the color is now the blue that you love, I kind of think it's a cool and scientific feature to change the color through exposure to different light sources!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Incandescent light seems to have worked , however I'm SO on the fence. It is lighter than I anticipated but I love the cutting. If it was a $500 stone I would gladly keep it--- a different flavor of zircon for my collection. But it's not exactly the color I expected. So I'm thinking long and hard on this one. It is a beautiful blue in the sunlight, but lighter indoors.
Opinions welcome ;-)
Screenshot_20200918-150255_Gallery.jpg 20200918_154607.jpg

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Incandescent light seems to have worked , however I'm SO on the fence. It is lighter than I anticipated but I love the cutting. If it was a $500 stone I would gladly keep it--- a different flavor of zircon for my collection. But it's not exactly the color I expected. So I'm thinking long and hard on this one. It is a beautiful blue in the sunlight, but lighter indoors.
Opinions welcome ;-)
Screenshot_20200918-150255_Gallery.jpg 20200918_154607.jpg

The cut is beautiful, but if you aren't sure about the color.....I would be inclined to return and keep searching. IF you have doubts now (based on $$$) do you think your feelings will change? Sorry it's not what you had envisioned. :???:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I agree with @Taylorbug!
I am very sorry it isn't what you had hoped for but if it bothers you now it probably will just bother you more as time goes on. Color is so important with blue zircon and while the cut is just beautiful and chunkalicious if the color isn't what you want it to be I would keep searching. Plus if it keeps changing back to the muddy brown that would just be too much work to maintain a color you aren't even in love with...JMO but I would return it and find one that suits your desires better.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only heard of this happening on another board which we're not supposed to talk about. Having never seen this happen in real life, that would be really flabbergasting.

I on the other hand would keep it, I got a ridiculous amount of zircons but that would be really cool to me, but I can understand why you wouldn't

I'm sad you're not loving your new stone! My feeling is that if you're doubting it, you probably always will. Send back if within the return period. I'm sure the cutter will understand.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the photos and the posts above, if it were me, I'd return it.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
The cut is beautiful, but if you aren't sure about the color.....I would be inclined to return and keep searching. IF you have doubts now (based on $$$) do you think your feelings will change? Sorry it's not what you had envisioned. :???:

Hey girlie!!:wavey:
I know, I have such a short window to return it too. If he offered a heavy discount I would keep it and bezel it in gold. I did get an email back from Jeff about a commissioned stone , so that discussion has started.
I probably will return it, but it's a hard choice..the cut is that good in person, trust me. Ugh.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've only heard of this happening on another board which we're not supposed to talk about. Having never seen this happen in real life, that would be really flabbergasting.

I on the other hand would keep it, I got a ridiculous amount of zircons but that would be really cool to me, but I can understand why you wouldn't

I'm sad you're not loving your new stone! My feeling is that if you're doubting it, you probably always will. Send back if within the return period. I'm sure the cutter will understand.

Hello fellow zircon collector! It is my fave gem honestly, and hard for me to let one go once it's in my hands! If I could afford to keep them all, I would!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello fellow zircon collector! It is my fave gem honestly, and hard for me to let one go once it's in my hands! If I could afford to keep them all, I would!

Well there you go, we have problems...lol

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That is so weird, but mine did the exact opposite. I had mine in a safe and away from most light when it turned brown, but a few mins under the sun it turned bright blue. It hasn't been exposed to UV since, and it stayed blue... for a few years now. Mine wasn't expensive, and I wouldn't keep a zircon without stable color if it was over $500.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ah, it’s tough but I will return it if the tendency to color change bothers you. There will be other zircons with nice cuts.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I've decided to return it (I can't keep ALL the precious, sadly). But I'm feeling much better about the situation anyway. Jeff says he has the perfect rough for me , so I think I'm going to go with that :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results