OEC vintage-inspired e-ring CAD feedback

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is lovely! Nice choice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, boy, I do feel better knowing it's @ericad !!!:lol: Erica's finished pieces certainly have fine milgrain and finishing, but you never know when you see random CADs who the jeweler is!!! I would have been more gentle had I known who it was!

Okay, regarding the shank, I agree with Erica that my personal minimum is about 2mm and my max is about 2.2mm at the widest. My diamond is 8.4mm so I can kind of relate to the size of your stone, which is beautiful! So I do not know what the size of the shank is in the CADs or what the finished size is supposed to be, so I'll just tell you that it looks a little wider than I'd prefer.

My rings with pave are full cut, I believe, and the stones are bright and pretty. They are too small to really see facet patterns anyway, as Erica said.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have single cuts and full cuts. In both cases, when they are tiny, they are more texture that fire (unless you are standing under LED lights or in an elevator). So, I'd focus more on the larger ones and choose if you want more or less fire -- then make the smaller ones match.

On the swoops, I know you loved that...I too love swoopy details. I can't tell from the CAD, but you can work with Erica to make the swoops more central to the design. If you thin the prongs a bit (making space) and make the swoops more like swags...so that the center of the swoop is wider than the sides. To me, the design from the side is really about the prongs and diamond, not the swoops. Not good or bad, but just a design opportunity.

On the shoulder epaulets, they really are faithful to the Cartier, so its right on in that way. But, to my eyes, I wonder if they may be a bit more graceful if the diamonds were graduated up or down a little in size. Nothing dramatic.

All opinions, that you should feel free to ignore ;)2

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments.

For the crown, we’ve gone through many iterations trying to find a design that was six-prong, in the spirit of the inspiration, and aesthetically pleasing while being protective of the girdle. There were trade-offs for sure since we ultimately didn’t get those big crown swoops like the inspiration. But I’m happy with this design, trade-offs and all, and am comfortable with Erica’s explainatiin that the crown will look more dainty in the final product than the CADs once the ring is hand-finished and that ~20% excess metal is removed.

We’ll pull some widths from the CAD around the shoulders and melees to see if we have an opportunity for fine tuning there. I definitely don’t want to go too thin/tapered so durability isn’t compromised. This is a size 3.75 so proportions can be tricky.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There should be no durability issues with 2mm for the major portion of a shank and I am pretty sure Erica would agree since she has lovely solitaire designs than have thin shanks. The thickness is important, too, for durability. Victor Canera says 1.8mm is the thinnest he'll make a pave shank. So 2mm with platinum should be fine. I don't know if you've discussed platinum alloys, but the more durable alloys are 90%plat/10%iridium and 95%plat/5%ruthenium. Some benches prefer one over the other, but they are both harder and more scratch resistant than the typical 95plat/5iridium.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like a 1.8-2mm thickness because it is close or the same height as many style of bands without too much variance in heights. I don't like the feel of too many different heights if I stack a couple.

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
As an update to everyone who kindly offered their advice, thoughts and opinions on my OEC stone selection and e-ring design project, I wanted to report back with pictures of the final ring. This is the best part, right? I think it's beautiful ring and my fiancée is very happy. Amazing to think about this ring as compared to the rings I was originally considering before plugging into PS. So my sincere thanks to everyone who helped me along this journey.

Big thanks also to Erica @ LAD for her patience with me as I asked a million questions and worked with me on this vintage-inspired design through several iterations until I was happy. Also for her patience as I paused this project for several months as my fiancée and I recovered from the financial (and emotional) impacts of Hurricane Harvey.

The iPhone finger pics aren't awesome but hopefully they convey the proportions. It's a size 3.75.

IMG_20180307_142713.jpg IMG_20180307_142622.jpg IMG_20180307_151937.jpg IMG_20180307_144525.jpg IMG_20180307_152019.jpg IMG_20180307_152408.jpg IMG_20180307_152212.jpg IMG_20180307_152119.jpg finger01.jpg finger02.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As an update to everyone who kindly offered their advice, thoughts and opinions on my OEC stone selection and e-ring design project, I wanted to report back with pictures of the final ring. This is the best part, right? I think it's beautiful ring and my fiancée is very happy. Amazing to think about this ring as compared to the rings I was originally considering before plugging into PS. So my sincere thanks to everyone who helped me along this journey.

Big thanks also to Erica @ LAD for her patience with me as I asked a million questions and worked with me on this vintage-inspired design through several iterations until I was happy. Also for her patience as I paused this project for several months as my fiancée and I recovered from the financial (and emotional) impacts of Hurricane Harvey.

The iPhone finger pics aren't awesome but hopefully they convey the proportions. It's a size 3.75.

IMG_20180307_142713.jpg IMG_20180307_142622.jpg IMG_20180307_151937.jpg IMG_20180307_144525.jpg IMG_20180307_152019.jpg IMG_20180307_152408.jpg IMG_20180307_152212.jpg IMG_20180307_152119.jpg finger01.jpg finger02.jpg

Magnificent, high quality design and craftsmanship. The ring you created with Erica is really faithful to the gracefulness and decorative detail of antique settings. I’m very impressed and will seriously consider Erica for settings in the future. I’m so happy for you! Congratulations to you both!

Last edited:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s absolutely stunning, congratulations on an heirloom ring and on your engagement!!!

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
Oh! It came out beautifully! You (and @ericad) did so well :love:
Love all the pics and congratulations to you and your new fiancée :appl:

Thanks for all your input, foxinsox!

And thanks for the kind words, LightBright and JDDN.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful finished product! Great job :dance: And it looks lovely on her hand!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the ring on Erica's IG and was SO pleased with how it turned out! :love: CADs can be deceiving, but I knew you were in good hands with Erica! Congrats on your engagement! You did a great job on the ring!:appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! :love:

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
I saw the ring on Erica's IG and was SO pleased with how it turned out! :love: CADs can be deceiving, but I knew you were in good hands with Erica! Congrats on your engagement! You did a great job on the ring!:appl:

Thank you diamondseeker2006, I appreciate it very much. You shared many candid, thought-provoking opinions that were valuable food-for-thought during both my stone selection and setting design. Ultimately I followed a path that I thought would be to my fiancée's taste but I valued your input and depth of knowledge. So thanks for sharing (and caring). That you like the final outcome definitely brings a smile to my face.

P.S. The metal is 900 classic plat.

Thanks for your comments ac117 and Krisking.

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So stunning! I think that it’s even more beautiful than the original!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results