carat
color
clarity

OEC three stone CAD

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
51890-QUAD.jpg 51890-quad.jpg 51890-QUAD.jpg
Here's the 1,2,3 CAD progression from DK last week.
I'm actually starting to entertain the thought of some fine tiny milgrain along the high point ridges of the basket, fading out to nothing before it reaches the prong at the stones girdle?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think millgrain could be tricky.

Otherwise I love this

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is going to be gorgeous. I can wait to see the end result. A three stone has always been on the back of my mind. Will this be a right hand ring?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be gorgeous. I can wait to see the end result. A three stone has always been on the back of my mind. Will this be a right hand ring?

Thank you!
Probably yes, right hand.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks perfect! I cannot WAIT to see it!

EDIT: what metal are you using?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image2.JPG
This image really drove home the effect of the baskets really cradling the stones like I wanted, to DK. The negative space under the stone in both his first CAD and OWD's crown is pretty, but this is what I really wanted.

I think millgrain could be tricky.

Tricky is an understatement!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
image2.JPG
This image really drove home the effect of the baskets really cradling the stones like I wanted, to DK. The negative space under the stone in both his first CAD and OWD's crown is pretty, but this is what I really wanted.

Tricky is an understatement!
True. I guess what I mean is, I would not do it. I suspect it may not end up how you want and really do you want to ruin the whole setting possible for that? Is there really much of a payoff?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be fabulous! Love yg!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are the cads out of order in the post? I am having a hard time even seeing differences, but it looks like the second image has the stone highest set? Which one did you approve?

I see what you mean about cradling the stones. Will there still be room enough to clean the pavilions properly?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the cads out of order in the post? I am having a hard time even seeing differences, but it looks like the second image has the stone highest set? Which one did you approve?

I see what you mean about cradling the stones. Will there still be room enough to clean the pavilions properly?
I wouldn’t be all that concerned about the cleaning the donuts will be open at the bottom to get under the prongs. I don’t see much difference between that and cleaning, say, a semi bezel

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be fabulous! Love yg!

Thank you!

They are in order. Yes very small differences. I'm being picky.
The first one has some weird swoopy cup-looking thing in the bottom of center basket, don't know what for? And David said it was a mistake. And no tuck under of the side stones.
The second one shows the tucking under, which yes raised the center a bit.
The third (final and approved) shows the cathedral swoop on the shoulders lowered a bit and the baskets cradling the stones.
As for cleaning pavilions properly - I hope so. ( @Niel your engagement ring is somewhat like this - do you feel it has any adverse affect on cleaning yours?) The mounting is still open from the bottom. I am counting on CAD to finished project shrinkage that's been apparent on a previous project with DK to follow through on this one - so the cupping will be slightly less than what's depicted. Flawed thinking - I hope not. We will see.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Niel- you faster than me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you!

They are in order. Yes very small differences. I'm being picky.
The first one has some weird swoopy cup-looking thing in the bottom of center basket, don't know what for? And David said it was a mistake. And no tuck under of the side stones.
The second one shows the tucking under, which yes raised the center a bit.
The third (final and approved) shows the cathedral swoop on the shoulders lowered a bit and the baskets cradling the stones.
As for cleaning pavilions properly - I hope so. ( @Niel your engagement ring is somewhat like this - do you feel it has any adverse affect on cleaning yours?) The mounting is still open from the bottom. I am counting on CAD to finished project shrinkage that's been apparent on a previous project with DK to follow through on this one - so the cupping will be slightly less than what's depicted. Flawed thinking - I hope not. We will see.

Picky is good! And I can see all those changes now! They are worth making. I can see the "cradling" you are talking about. I didn't totally know what you meant, but now I see your image and the change from CAD 2 to 3 and I also like that look to the prongs. It ads dimensionality and I love it. An important detail in authentic victorian settings. Good for you for noticing it! I'm not sure I would have noticed or been able to articulate it.

I am sure you will manage to clean it. I am thinking too much about all the supremely, disgustingly dirty vintage rings I saw over the years in these kinds of mounts :sick: lol

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting!! Looks gorgeous on the pictures:appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
:love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it looks amazing in pics!!! Can't wait to see it on your hand in your own photos!

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
oooh i love this, can't wait for all the pictures!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty close to what you ended up making. The main difference I see is in the "cupping" of the prongs you mentioned earlier up?

I assume this is based on the CADs you started with them?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, any changes between what I have now and this are pretty minute.
The side stones aren't as tucked in under the center, and the baskets hugging/cupping the stones. The prongs look larger - and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.
He did say he was still planning on casting this when we parted ways, but I don't know if he tweaked the CAD any from when I last saw it - other than making it for these size stones? But at first glance my thought was the sidestones do look better positioned in the final product than how the CAD depicted.
I'm in NY soon. I'd sure love to see both next to each other. Wishful thinking.
No doubt - whomever buys this ring is getting a knockout.:love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah :kiss2:. The stones are about the same size as yours too, right? (D-uh, they would be if its based on your CAD!).

I was looking at the price and thinking "wow that's a lot!" and then I did the math for my own three-stone in the works! :lol:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at the price and thinking "wow that's a lot!" and then I did the math for my own three-stone in the works! :lol:

It does add up quick - no joke!
But, I did say earlier in this thread it's freightfully easy to spend two (three?) times more on the diamonds than what I ultimately settled on. They have great GIA grades and I'm positive it shows!

stc715

Rough_Rock
OMG I'm not crazy!!! I saw your ring posted to OWD's instagram and thought maybe Erstwhile somehow copied it from OWD bc it was exactly like mine!!

I don't have the ring rn but I will post daylight photos for you tomorrow. Loved reading this thread and yes, there are deff parts of my ring that are too thin and worn.
I've already had a prong fixed (it snapped clean off :cry2: but it's my fault bc I was too rough with it) and actually reached out to owd a few months ago to inquire about the setting. Very sad but I'll likely want to have mine reset sometime in the future.

Those claws are gorgeous but soooooooooooooo delicate. Yours is gorgeous and you did an amazing job!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results