shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC stone with GIA on ebay

ginie

Rough_Rock
Can you experts help me with this OEC stone? Is it worth buying? I saw the GIA cert so thought it may be better than the rest.

Thanks in advance!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'd suggest that you edit your post to remove the link and just provide perhaps the picture and other necessary information, in case someone else decides that the stone is a really good deal. :wink2:

ginie

Rough_Rock
Re: OEC stone with GIA

Thank you VRBeauty! Now that you've seen it, is it worth buying?

Here are the specs:

G VVS2 GIA CERTIFIED VINTAGE ROUND DIAMOND OLD EUROPEAN CUT

_37197.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to add the carat weight and any measurements you have. I don't have the intuitive feel for OECs that some others here have, but I will say that it looks like a very pretty stone, and one that's in very good shape, to me. But, the facet pattern is not as clear as in some other OECs. You might want to look at Old World Dismonds. Jewels By Grace, and Love Affair Diamonds to see what's being asked for comparable diamonds. Also take intangibles like level of service in mind - specifically whether there's an inspection and return period.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing to add about the stone but I would be sure the picture is of the actual stone. A lot of times it looks like they use or reuse photos.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a diamond from this seller. They are pretty reputable.

I don't love the facet pattern on this particular stone, it's kind of mushy or off or something. That's personal preference, however.

A GIA certification does not equal a better quality stone, it just means you are getting what you think you are getting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with Betty here. From the one photo you posted I don't love the facet pattern. But really need to see more views of the stone and a video if possible. But from what you shared not my favorite. And as MayK pointed out is this the photo of the actual OEC or is it a doctored photo? Need more photos to evaluate further IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can find a much better cut OEC than this one.

ginie

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses!

I'm looking for one Where do you recommend I look for OECs? I saw a gorgeous ring here in PS with OEC set in a halo and I'm in love!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam at Old World Diamonds. Call him up. Super super nice. 100% committed to finding a diamond you love. Customer service is the best I have yet encountered, of all the PS vendors I have dealt with. And he has a huge inventory. But rather than searching his website, talk to him and tell him what you are looking for and listen to his thoughts and suggestions. He knows these stones and their personalities. Lastly, super reasonable pricing too. Trust me. Just talk to him. You won't regret it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
G VVS2 is probably also overkill for an old cut unless you want something white and super clean, provided it's eye clean a lower clarity will save you money, so will a slightly lower colour. I second Jewels by Grace;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/

Erica at Love Affair Diamonds;

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/

Adam at Old World Diamonds;

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/

Also check what is for sale in the preloved section here and on Loupetroope and Diamondbistro. Some of the members sell some stunning stones upgrading, downgrading and so on....

If you want a new perfectly cut OEC Victor Canera or GOG.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Also I would add that sometimes it's better to contact these vendors directly to let them know what you're looking for. I know both Grace at Jewels by Grace and Erica at Love Affair Diamonds can "source" a stone for you if they know what you want, and the other vendors can do this, as well. If it's under a carat, with a specific type of facet pattern that you prefer, and you have a budget, they can definitely help, but a stone may not be listed on their website that fits what you're looking for.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1463669494|4033526 said:
Adam at Old World Diamonds. Call him up. Super super nice. 100% committed to finding a diamond you love. Customer service is the best I have yet encountered, of all the PS vendors I have dealt with. And he has a huge inventory. But rather than searching his website, talk to him and tell him what you are looking for and listen to his thoughts and suggestions. He knows these stones and their personalities. Lastly, super reasonable pricing too. Trust me. Just talk to him. You won't regret it.

Ditto this. He has the best and most extensive inventory of true old cut diamonds. And you will not find a nicer person to help you in your search. He genuinely cares about finding his customers the diamonds of their dreams. Calling him is best. And I find like LLJsmom that his pricing is the most reasonable of any of the other vendors. He will not steer you wrong.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Don't completely disregard My Diamond Zone. I have a 1.5 OMC from there, and it is quite nice, and exactly what they told me I was going to get.

I reached out to JBG about a couple of rings. The first response was prompt, but when I asked further questions I received no response. I am a serious buyer, but I have also been reaching out to various vendors to see who is willing to answer my many questions, and deal with my small budget. At the moment our income is only adequate, but it is set to quadruple in a few years, so I'm compiling lists of vendors that I want to deal with in a few years when I have much more to spend. My Diamond Zone was wonderful, so far my experience with Diamonds By Lauren has been wonderful as well.

As far as facet patterns go, it's personal taste. I kind of like ones that are a little wonky, because I think it is charming. However, I like small to medium culets and not the very large ones.
For instance, this one is nice to my eyes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-CERTIFIED-1-2ct-G-SI2-VINTAGE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-ROUND-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-OEC-/152094494180?hash=item236989cde4

This one, not so much:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-64ct-EGL-USA-CERT-5-5mm-VINTAGE-F-COLOR-OLD-EURO-CUT-DIAMOND-LOOSE-ROUND-MINER-/401122589436?hash=item5d64c4fafc

See a difference?

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I second reaching out directly to Ilya at my diamond zone- he has a lot more than is in his eBay store and he can work on a very tight budget. I was working with him on a project last year that didn't end up happening, but he was amazing and very honest. Grace has amazing pieces and is super sweet, but she is not inexpensive. I think she has gotten crazyyyyy busy of late so sometimes you won't get an immediate reply, but I have always been able to track her down if needed. Good luck!

ginie

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the excellent information! I started by looking at the GOG website but they did not have any old cuts currently. Next I called Adam at OWD and he is indeed extremely nice and said he will find me a stone within my budget. I haven't yet looked at Erica Grace's website but that's next on my list. I will also check out My Diamond Zone that some of you recommended. This is a good informed start after having almost bought the Ebay stone! :naughty:

I will update you all on my purchase and post pictures after I find the right OEC! (is it weird that I find my beautiful Hearts and Arrows RB a little boring after having seen some stunning pictures here of OECs?)

:love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ginie, I am very excited to see what Adam comes up with for you. He is awesome. I may have something to share soon too. :Up_to_something:

Keep us posted!

ginie

Rough_Rock
I spoke with Adam and he was so nice! I was hoping to get a good trade in value for my RB but it wasn't even close to what I had hoped. I instead went and got my diamond cleaned and fell back in love with it again. OEC is still in the future though. :pray:

_37456.jpg

_37458.jpg

_37457.jpg

_37459.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you decide to sell your diamond perhaps you should try and do it privately first via Loupetroop, DiamondBistro and the preloved section in here or put it on consignment with someone like Grace at Jewels by Grace. It looks great on you btw if you decide to keep it. Cleaning makes such a difference!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results