shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Reset - from Vintage to Timeless Classic

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that's a truly gorgeous ring. Really stunning and so classic, and the bullets crank up the volume in a great way! Congrats and wear it with much happiness!

3 quick questions for you, if you don't mind my asking (no worries if you don't care to reply). Do you know what color the bullets are? Did you match them closely to the main stone color? And did you talk much w/ ERD about the angle of the bullets?
(Asking because I'm just now choosing tapered baguettes and working thru details on my reset, and am trying to sort this all out without stressing or obsessing too much.) Thanks for any details.
Awesome ring.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of the most beautiful rings I have EVER seen.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
my old thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/3-55-k-oec-belated-pics-t179915.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/3-55-k-oec-belated-pics-t179915.html[/URL]

The new setting brings in so much more light...I know that there are discussions on how a setting does not affect the performance because performance is based on light coming in from the table, blah blah blah.....but from my experience, the vintage setting really enclosed the stone and I was never really happy with it's light return. You can read that in my original thread.

I even tried to "halo" it with yellow sticky twine. It definitely brought out the contract in the facets but i still wasn't happy with what I saw.

k_side_0.jpg

k_side_1.jpg

yellow_4.jpg

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! I really like the proportions of the side stones to the center.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Okay, now for the progress pics from ERD....

progress5.jpg

progress4.jpg

progress3.jpg

progress2.jpg

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Other ring stats (for those who are doing/will do research on a similar ring)

Center stone is 10.24mm x 9.89 mm per the EGL report. However, I've always gotten measurements as far down as 9.83 so it's definitely off-round. It's actually set N/S because I love ovals and in the vintage setting, it was E/W which really annoyed me as it looked "squished".

Bullets are 5.3 x 3.9 mm so the L/W ratio is 1.359, .42ct each for a total of .84 ct. I believe that they are I colored. A little brighter than my K center but not noticeable, especially when facing up.

When deciding on the size of the baguette/bullets, I used my digital calipers and measured all of the HW style rings I could find online, paying attention to the (very few) authentic ones I found. Of course they were all estimates as I had to calculate the diameter of the center stone and usually couldn't see the widest point of the bullet/baguette from the angle of the photo. My research let me to believe that most people used 1/5 to 1/4 the diameter. I however, wanted "HEFT" with my sidestones...and I wanted them to LOOK like SIDESTONES....not little slivers. I needed 1/3 my diameter which would be over 3mm at least. The bigger the better....even now I think I could have gone just a little wider and longer. As for the length...I wasn't sure going more than 50% of the diameter (5.3 mm) but I think I could have gone another 1 mm but not much more. Here are some sample baguettes that Mark showed me and the thread where I asked people's opinions...(of course in the end I didn't go with baguettes but it gives you an idea at what I had to choose from)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-pick-my-side-stones-for-hw-tapered-baguette-ring.195132/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-pick-my-side-stones-for-hw-tapered-baguette-ring.195132/[/URL]

h_1.jpg

k_5.jpg

small_0.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the new setting. Just love it! So bold and beautiful. Your stone is just POPPING!!! :love: :love: Congratulations! Great decision!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Just stunning! :love: :love: :love:

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful :love: :love: :love:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG they did an AMAZING job :sun: I think it's awesome and I agree with the others, ERD will be a popular contender for three stones from now on!!!!!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Step cut bullets make me drool. Love this! :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous :love: Absolutely perfect! One of my all time favorite styles and with that beautiful diamond, wow!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, I absolutely love your OEC in the new setting! :love:

Hopefully we can have another GTG with Madelise and I can drool over this beauty in person! :lickout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!!! :love: :love: :love: Honestly, I was afraid when I saw your thread. I loved the original setting and was preparing myself to be disappointed. But it is absolutely gorgeous!!! So funny that I saw puppy's asscher with baguettes and yours on the same day! That HW setting has always been one of my favorites, and it is very good to know that Mark uses the same bench that makes these for HW! You make me wish my stone would grow because I think your size stone looks wonderful in this setting!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks wonderful!

I think with these old cuts that do not have ideal proportions and so have leaky facets, the setting really does matter! I know my own diamond looks much better in an enclosed mounting that increases the contrast. Junebug thought the same with hers when she haloed it. And yours has different proportions than mine -- I think your stone might err on the side of being shallow? -- and it looks better in an open mounting. I think its only the ideal MRBs where it doesn't matter as much, because those diamonds do direct almost all the light back at the eye. But in wonkier old cuts, its more of a crap shoot and the diamond can often benefit from the right outfit ;))

beckweed

Rough_Rock
Your ring is stunning! I really liked the orginal ring, but this new ring is one of my favorite rings on PS because it combines the oec, bullets, step cut, harry winston...a winning combo in my book. It is absolute perfection. You've got to be over the moon. Enjoy!!!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Your old setting was neat, but wow, such a lovely big improvement! The contrast is just TDF and this looks like it was always meant to be set like that.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! I'm so happy that you had a great experience with ERD too.

What are you going to do with your previous setting? It's always been one of my favorites, so I'll keep my eye on preloved...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
STUNNING!!! You have totally nailed "timeless"!! Classic setting w the bullets and the prongs.... its just "yummilicious"!! Suits your hand so perfectly and so elegant. Enjoy!!! You have done VERY well with your reset!! :love: :appl: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results