shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Reset - from Vintage to Timeless Classic

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
This is long and I've only got a few teaser photos...it's absolutely freezing outside this weekend and I couldn't get pictures! Plus I realized that I have to wax my knuckle hairs before I post hand pics!

When I first discovered PS in 2003, I fell in love with halos....especially Reenas LM. That was "it" for me. Then I fell in love with Mara's solitaire....then I was so sure that it was going to be Yenny's SS setting.....Oy Vey, I think I drove all of the vendor's crazy. To this day I cannot walk into SS without hiding my face. I've spent so much time in there and never bought anything.

I had an epiphany....if I were to win the lottery what would I buy? I would march right into HW and buy the biggest stone I could get with tapered baguettes! Eureka! Tapered Baguettes! I've always loved step cuts! But, I wanted bullets instead...just to be a little different. I was also open to suggestions too in case some great "artiste" saw something in my stone that I hadn't....

Off to get quotes...from the usual suspects....SK, VC, LM and ERD and DBL and a few local vendors. VC and LM couldn't give me a ballpark but mentioned it would have to be custom cut (aka $$$). SK's quote felt very...automated. Like a computer would just read my quote request and just spit out an answer. It didn't feel personal. No one gave me any other options or suggestions. No one wanted a picture of my diamond. I dislike responses like...."we'll work with your budget". I guess I was really hoping to hear ..."I've got a great idea for your stone...it's perfect for it...please consider it"....

Two people stood out...

David at DBL was truly honest and said that bullets were mucho $$ and could cost between 5-10k....especially at the size I was looking for. David also had more rings featuring tapered bullets than anyone else I've seen out there....so I trust him when he says bullets are pricey.

But it was Mark at ERD who spoke to me about the different options I had. I liked his responses and communication was fast. I think we exchanged around 20 emails before I committed to him. Each response was very personal...he looked at a picture that I sent of my diamond and made a few suggestions. I absolutely appreciated the attention and time and he was never pushy...just a "we could do a halo at the low end of the budget, or a cast 3 stone",..or even"let's see if I have french cuts that could work"...!. That was exactly what I wanted to hear! I started off with tapered baguettes to keep the cost low and ended up with tapered bullets (my original plan) at just under what I was comfortable spending. In the end, I would have gladly thrown in another 2k for larger bullets! I love them big!
BTW - Mark's hand forger makes this setting for HW ...and compared to photos of an actual HW ring, I'd say it's a dupe! I'm hoping to go to a HW store soon just to compare....

My new setting makes my stone look so much more fire-y! It's soooo much more lively now that the pavillion is exposed! I've only had the ring for 2 days and so many more people notice it compared to when it was in it's low, vintage setting. So here goes...

3.55 OEC, K Vs2
.84 ct tapered bullets (I originally wanted at least 1 ct of bullets)
platinum, hand forged, size 5ish.

I'll post more pics this week.

20131206_141123.jpg

20131206_142158.jpg

20131206_142655.jpg

20131206_101814.jpg

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, I looooove this. I've always liked bigger side stones for baguettes and pears. Please post more pics of this masterpiece :appl: :love: :appl:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
That is a gorgeous gorgeous ring! Breathtaking. So classic and stylish!

Daisyoz

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is so gorgeous!!! So classic and timeless! I love it!! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: :love:
Your ring is breathtaking!!! I love the fluid lines and bigger sidestones. It's a true classic, but with a new appearance. Love it. Love it. Love it.
I'll have to add your ring to my PS favourites! We need much more pics though :naughty:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing! :appl: Your new setting really showcases your diamond well!!!

Can we see some profile shots, please? Also, will you be wearing any bands with to it?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is gorgeous! You can't go wrong with a huge stone and a classic setting! It's perfect! I'm so glad that you figured out what makes your heart sing!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swoon! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, so beautiful! :love: Please post about a zillion more pics. Weather smeather. PSers can withstand any type of weather and post their bling. :appl: :cheeky:

Wear in health and happiness!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
It looks marvelous! Thank you for sharing your journey to decide on this classy setting. Can you post some before/after comparisons, just to have them all in one place?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How absolutely gorgeous!!! Sounds like ERD was just great to work with!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
PERFECT! :love:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new setting is breathtaking! I love the bullets. I had never given that cut much thought before but they are perfect in your setting. I love them! I would love to see the gallery shots too. It is quite perfect, the stone is glorious! I can see why it was important to you that the vendors see a picture of your stone.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Stunning! Just freaking stunning! no words! :love: :cheeky: :appl: :o

Ok I'm editing to add. I'm glad you did the vendor write up. To be very honest I haven't been impressed with certain vendors' proportions when it comes to 3 stones lately. However this ring, as well as the zircon 3 stone with trapz that another PS'er posted awhile ago really bring up ERD in my opinion. They have always been great in my eyes for their more budget friendly pave, but now I have to say I will start recommending them for 3 stone work. The bullets look perfect with your OEC and I love the lines it creates. Just perfection!

kat08

Rough_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous!! :love: The classic look is perfect for your diamond!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
gorgeous and looks great on you, too!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOLY CRAP, JsMom!!! You're right-- this setting really does make your diamond look amazing. I pulled up your older thread and compared. It glows! It looks so happy and at home with this new setting, if that makes any sense at all without thinking I'm adding life to the inanimate :bigsmile:

How're you feeling about the diamond now?

XOXOXO I really can't wait til we have another GTG cus I'd love to see this new setting and the difference in the diamond's performance IRL!

Puppy4248

Shiny_Rock
***SWOOOOOOOON*** :loopy: :appl: :love: ... 3 stone w/ baguettes or bullets is my absolute favorite! And with THAT stone, my goodness!!!!! :love: I LOVE the way your ring turned out, and those proportions are perfect!!! It looks FABULOUS on your hand, wear it in good health!

*edit*
I just realized I had posted on your other thread about baguette size... I knew your name sounded familiar haha!! I was trying to remember where I'd seen you here before. Makes me even happier that you got the proportion/size of the side stones right, because your ring is perfect!! Happy wearing :)

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's stunning and totally classic. Congrats!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's beautiful! It's absolutely stunning!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness that's gorgeous :love: :love: :love:

And it sounds you had a fantastic experience with ERD - congrats!! Working with a vendor with whom you *click* and walking away with a piece that makes your heart flutter really is the best combination :appl;

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Warning...pics of dry, hairy hands....but who cares! I'm rocking a 10mm OEC with bullets!

For 3 stone work I would definitely recommend ERD. I'll post pics of the big 3 (VC, LM, and SK) and you will see the similarities from the claws to the fluidity of the shank. The proportions of the side stones depend a lot on how much the person is willing to spend though. When I first started Mark offered skinnier/less costly baguettes which made me very happy price-wise. BUT, the more I thought about it, the more I wanted a real 3 stone look vs a solitaire supported by lesser stones. By going even .2mm wider, the ring cost jumped up another thousand or more...and so forth. I knew I needed at least 1/3 the diameter of my stone for the look. I found that it was easier to find width in bullets. I liked options which Mark gave me....vs the "my way or the highway" attitude that some (okay, maybe just LM has). As much as I love VC's work, I think that his specialty is really pave, not 3 stone work. SK was my 2nd choice but once again, his responses were very automated and I got the feeling that he was very busy and didnt have time to spend with someone who wasnt 100% committed to a budget and a look. Erd has a ton of examples of 3 stones online. The same with DBL but the proportions are hit and miss with them.

Here are some shots I took at breakfast...I'll post the hand forging pics when I get home.

20131209_095154.jpg

20131209_095217.jpg

20131209_095236.jpg

20131209_095343.jpg

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
People should notice that big shiny girl :love: Looks great!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the extra pictures-your ring looks amazing!!! Your setting is TDF- a real beauty! :love: And your hands look great btw. :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dr :love: :love: l!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is just beautiful - great choice of side stone size! There are a ton of beautiful setting options; however, the classics are still the classics and always timeless. They let the focus be on the stone rather than the setting and let's face it - the majority of the money is in the stone so let it shine for all to see!

It looks beautiful - so glad you are happy with it!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Spoke to Mark this morning huh for my nephew I love what you worked out your stone looks amazing

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results