shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC pair received but I’m unsure if I should keep them.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,
I bought a 3.69 ctw pair of OEC diamonds for $9000. They’re uncertified and jeweler who sold them to me estimates they are M-N colored and VS2 clarity. I received them today. The jeweler is/was amazing to work with and I thought I’d love these diamonds... but I don’t.

I’m not sure if I’m being nit picky or if I have a legitimate reason to return them.

My first concern is when I look closely at one, it looks like there’s a dark circle. Second, I don’t think they’re really that close of a match. One has a larger cutlet (which I knew) but I didn’t think it would be noticeable given they’re not super large and one has a larger table.

I’m not super familiar with OECs but I’ve wanted one forever. I’ve seen a few in person and have always thought they’re pretty but now that I’ve got them I’m not as thrilled as I thought I would be. Can I get some opinions?

F100B77C-0366-4788-A81D-EAC224FA776E.jpeg 3FE0CA05-32E8-4909-A5FB-79EB65825BC3.jpeg 9CFF50AE-7CB7-43A7-9675-C1458CE26435.jpeg

Attachments

• 11244EBA-394A-42FF-9D15-B8356B27689B.jpeg
    11244EBA-394A-42FF-9D15-B8356B27689B.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 71

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
We'll need ear shots. My OEC earrings are not an exact match in cut.. but when I'm wearing them you really can't tell.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
We'll need ear shots. My OEC earrings are not an exact match in cut.. but when I'm wearing them you really can't tell.

My plan is a toi et moi style ring.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert at all but to me they look like they are different colours and are quite mismatched, cut wise, I don’t think I’d put them as close together as in a toi-et-moi ring. I think for that outlay of $$$$ I’d want to be ecstatic!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh I don't love the top down view of either of them. The under the table facets look disorganised or not very well defined and I think I see that dark circle you mention on both of them. I don't love the outer facets. For a toi et moi, they don't look to be a great match.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah you can do better especially with a ring where they will be so close together.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@Snowdrop13 @soxfan @foxinsox @StephanieLynn

So I just got off the phone with the vendor and he said that for $250 for both they can be recut to look more similar without losing a lot of weight. Thoughts?

I’m wondering if it’s worth it for the price point is these stones given the closest price wise I’ve seen is with Parks Fine Group... but even those were more expensive.

Reactions: AV_

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan...they don't match and don't harmonize well enough.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock

So I just got off the phone with the vendor and he said that for $250 for both they can be recut to look more similar without losing a lot of weight. Thoughts?

I’m wondering if it’s worth it for the price point is these stones given the closest price wise I’ve seen is with Parks Fine Group... but even those were more expensive.
And what if you are still unhappy after they’ve been recut? You’re out money and time. Can you still return them at that point?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think I'd take a chance on a re-cut if it were me. I'm just risk adverse.

Its a lot of stone for the $ but there does appear to be some mushy area in each of them. If you are not excited about them I'd send them back.

You may have to go with a smaller pair to get really nice stones.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Who is the vendor? If you don't want to say, I understand.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t do it. They don’t match on color or cut...I think it would be a big chance for things to go bad with a recut...I would pass..

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, you are taking a big chance that they aren't pretty to your eyes after a recut. Also I wonder why that is being offered after the fact? Wouldn't it make more sense to recut them and be able to sell them for more money potentially??

I personally would return and start over, they may be a great price but they are not a good deal unless they are exactly what you want.

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
I think you should return them just based on the fact that you don't love them. $9,000 is a lot of money to not be satisfied, even if you feel like you don't have a legitimate reason to be unhappy.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return them- and don't let those stones sour you on OEC's though! There are plenty of beautiful ones out there! I'd reach out to Alex Park- he has a GREAT eye for OEC's and his prices are incredible.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither of these look like good OECs to me. They’re beyond charmingly wonky and into just wonky territory. I also wouldn’t risk a recut and would just return. The one with the larger culet also looks like it may have significant cloud inclusions or something going on. I like the one with the smaller culet more because the facets are more distinct and it looks to have a better cut though it’s still not in the upper echelons of OECs. I wouldn’t risk a recut - there’s too much that could go wrong when you could instead just return.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Oh.. a ring. They go back.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are not good looking OECs :eek2: I would absolutely not do a recut. You are taking a chance that they may look better than this, or they could look worse. No guarantee.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus with a recut, the stones always have a chance of breaking. This deal is just a no go anyway you slice it.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
:lol: Thank you everyone! I really felt like a crazy, annoying picky person before I posted this. I’m going to stew on it overnight but I’m leaning toward a return.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Both have fisheye and major girdle reflection. One is much worse. I suspect they're around 49-54% depth? I wouldn't risk recut. To recut a shallow stone, you'd have to create steeper crown and pavilion angles, which means significant diameter loss. Return.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Please return them! If you don't love them right away, chances are slim they will grow on you. The right oec is enchanting from the first glance, don't judge oec by these!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I might risk a recut if you had no obligation to buy them if you don’t like them. I don’t mind the colour difference but neither look like well cut stones at all.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of these, and I don't think they are very well cut. For that much $$ you need to be thrilled! And I definitely wouldn't risk a recut, bc you just never know what will happen. You can find much nicer OECs!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah, they look too shallow to me. return em.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Like a previous poster mentioned, ask Parks Fine Group to keep an eye out for you. Regarding these stones, the ONLY thing that matters is that you aren’t thrilled by them. If you don’t feel it now you likely won’t. One thing you may want to do is tell Alex what you are looking for in an OEC style, and you could also branch out to antique cushions or old mine cuts. It may take a while but Alex has picked some really pretty stones. Also, recut is something I would never do to an old cut barring catastrophe. Antique cuts are usually not improved by modern cutters, IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for those OECs and it sounds like you don't either. They are not cut well. Too shallow. Ugly fisheye. Not pretty. You can do better. Return them and start over. OECs are gorgeous when you find the right ones so don't let these determine your OEC future. Instead find ones that make your heart sing. Alex at Parks Fine group has been mentioned and Adam at Old World Diamonds is definitely worth contacting too. He has perhaps the biggest OEC selection of anyone.

And of course we can help you search too. Don't give up the search. Just give up on these stones and give them back so you can find amazing OECs.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’ll find a pair that’s meant for your toi et moi, elsewhere.
Did you tell the vendor you wanted them for a ring, not earrings?
even though I think it’s a line of BS about the recut they offered ( why wouldn’t they have already done that?) still curious enough that I’d tell them I’d like first right of refusal after they get the recut done on their own, after the return/refund is processed of course.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results