shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC owners: how did you decide on a setting?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I feel like I have setting ADHD. :lol: I don't even have my upgrade back from being appraised and I'm vacillating wildly between setting options for it--and I won't be resetting for a year since I'm waiting until DH is done with school, so I have plenty of time to mull this over, which may be good or bad... I've got a 7mm OEC, and I keep going back and forth between wanting a very classic cathedral-style solitaire (with double-claw prongs, if possible), like the Legato Sleek Line or Vatche Caroline, or an antique-style setting like one from Antique Engagement Rings or Love Affair Diamonds/CvB Designs.

So I'd love to see photos of your OECs and hear how you decided upon a setting. I know settings are very personal choices, but it would be great to hear others' thought processes on this.

Settings I love (cathedral solitaire style):
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/caroline-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-251.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

Antique settings:
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3932
https://www.etsy.com/listing/217522560/the-casablanca-halo-vintage-inspired

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recently worked with David Klass on a setting for an OEC and it was a really tough decision! First I gathered some photos of settings that I have loved for some time and had quotes for each of them. Cost was a factor, albeit a small one. I narrowed it down further by considering the type of rings I already own. This helped me eliminate a few styles. I also kept in mind how often I would be wearing the ring (not often - it's a statement piece versus something I would wear every day). At the end I had it narrowed down to a few choices, but I just kept going back to the same setting over and over. That was the one! This was my process. Hope you find something you love!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This can be a very tough decision because there are so many beautiful choices and so many wonderful designers. My heart goes pitter patter when I see all the beautiful rings and settings PSers choose. Beauty comes in so many forms. :love:

I went with a true vintage setting for my OEC and fell in love with it because it allowed my OEC to be the main attraction so to speak. It was a surprisingly easy decision for me because the vintage setting just happened to be at Adam's and so did the OEC and when I described the setting I envisioned for Bea he remembered he had this setting. A vintage platinum 8 prong setting. Meant to be. I am attaching the only pics I can find that shows the setting clearly. Sorry I have to take some new pics as I have posted this one way too many times LOL. Here you go though.

Good luck with your decision rubybeth and have fun mulling all your wonderful options!

oecinwinterlight.jpg

_31144.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oh, wow, IHY and missy, your settings are both gorgeous! Your thoughts do help me (thank you!) and I will continue to think about this. One option DH liked was a solitaire setting and an antique band (I love the Sophia by CvB) for days when I want a more antique feel for my set. I already stack a 2mm plain wedding band and the 2mm Danielle band in my avatar on my left hand, but I'm not opposed to adding more. :tongue:

The first image in this listing shows what that would look like, sort of: https://www.etsy.com/listing/226900155/the-sophia-french-cut-diamond-hand

MrsLeonidas

Rough_Rock
I'm getting an OEC soon so I'm trying to decide on a setting as well, and man is it hard! I know I want a vintage inspired setting, as OECs in modern settings feel a bit like a fish out of water for me. I browsed around on EraGem, JbG, the Three Graces, and Etsy to find a setting that really spoke to me. Several days of this and several settings later I found this gorgeous setting on Etsy! I'm gonna tweak it a little when I find someone I want to work with to really make it mine.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/236151368/sale-art-deco-engagement-ring-126-carat#

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
this one is platinum and around $1300. Very vintage looking for an OEC. Love the 6 prongs and knife edge in person is very delicate.

https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product/ER7389PT3JJ/amavida

Similar with a slight sub halo and more expensive but still reasonable. $1900 for 18k white gold.

I tried this one on in a jewelry store (made for a 9mm stone)....the paved knife edge is delicate
but strong and looks narrow on the finger which is what I have wanted a very thin paved shank. I fell in
love with this setting and will make a big statement with your 7mm OEC and a sub-halo.

https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product/ER7940W83JJ/amavida

This one posted years ago on PS is Similar to the GabrielNY ER7940W83JJ with sub halo, but IMO the Gabriel/Amavida sub halo is much
prettier. Gives the same affect as this sub-halo.

Tacori 2504RD7
The 8 prongs look like too many for her small stone IMO, but the setting is lovely:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/eternity-bands-redone-new-e-ring-setting.81307/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/eternity-bands-redone-new-e-ring-setting.81307/[/URL]

Good luck with choosing...there are SO MANY out there. I've been planning on getting an OEC for years now and looking at settings and after seeing so many of them at any price I keep coming back to these two GabrielNY/ Amavida settings.

Seeing the one in person helped though. I would suggest finding a jeweler that carries Tacori, GabrielNY and others and trying them
on sure helps to decide what you really want.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy - Can I just say how much I love that you named your ring Bea?!

rubybeth|1434457085|3889816 said:
Oh, wow, IHY and missy, your settings are both gorgeous! Your thoughts do help me (thank you!) and I will continue to think about this. One option DH liked was a solitaire setting and an antique band (I love the Sophia by CvB) for days when I want a more antique feel for my set. I already stack a 2mm plain wedding band and the 2mm Danielle band in my avatar on my left hand, but I'm not opposed to adding more. :tongue:

The first image in this listing shows what that would look like, sort of: https://www.etsy.com/listing/226900155/the-sophia-french-cut-diamond-hand

I love that look that you posted. Classic yet with a vintage flair.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I also love these two settings (will attach photos):

Grace with swags: http://www.erikawinters.com/jewelry-blog/petals-and-swags-a-new-version-of-the-grace-solitaire/
Sophie fleur de lis (would love a bit more if a cathedral): https://www.etsy.com/listing/236128903/the-sophie-fleur-de-lis-diamond

So I'm pretty sure my requirements are being clarified through the process of looking at hundreds of settings:

1. a cathedral style setting
2. vintage details without pave or a lot of side stones--prefer a plain shank
3. an interesting, possibly floral gallery/side view
4. some sort of detail from the top that adds interest--double prongs, a slight 'halo' effect with metal, or something else

erika-winters-designs-grace-solitaire-2-profile.jpg

0aaf4f90505f058e972bb6c5e84081a3.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
When I upgraded an 8.44mm OEC, I had no idea how I'd want it set long-term so I had Adam put it in an inexpensive vintage-inspired solitaire that I could wear around while deciding what to do. When I initially got the ring, I had been planning on waiting at least a year before resetting so I could give myself plenty of time to decide and replenish the bling fund enough to get a pricey setting guilt-free. However, I quickly realized that I am NOT a solitaire gal and within a month I was itching for something more. The solitaire, while elegant and pretty and all that, just bored me and confused me so much that I actually started thinking that maybe an almost-2.5ct stone was just "too small" for me. :wall:

Luckily for me, I soon realized that it wasn't the stone that I was dissatisfied with, it was the solitaire setting. Within 5 months, I began that reset process into my current halo, which I love to pieces.

And of course none of this is to say that solitaires are bad because I do love them on other people, they just aren't for me. I think if I had missy's gorgeous Bea in a solitaire, though, I'd die a happy woman. That thing is amazing!!!

So, long story short, I guess I'd suggest you really do some soul searching and see what types of settings speak to you. Would you be happy with a solitaire long-term, or are you like me in that you need something with a bit more pizzazz to really make you smile? Sometimes it takes wearing different styles for an extended period to really know what you like/want, as I learned through my journey.

Good luck!!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Star sparkle, I have your setting pinned on my Pinterest board! It's gorgeous. :love:

I'm fairly certain I don't want a halo for this stone, because it's an M color, and also because my DH isn't a huge fan of halos (I have a halo RHR, though), and because this will be the largest diamond in my circle of friends and making it appear even larger with a halo would be kinda too much for my age/region/career.

I do kind of like metal 'halo' looks, though. I'm a big fan of the Megan Thorne picture frame ring, but can't seem to imagine it being created for a round stone and looking good. I also liked a PSers former ring that was based on a Single Stone design, where the 'halo' was engraved with antique designs instead of having pave. But I don't want a super huge gallery or an area under the stone where water can get trapped since I have a weird skin reaction when water gets trapped under my rings, so I'd need a very small metal doughnut in place of an open underside beneath the stone...

I'm thinking custom is maybe my only solution to get exactly what I want. :rolleyes:

2634fff84275e98f4f6cd039c98ec0cb.jpg

5da5039ee16bffb9db87278a9f5e6f10.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had my AVR for two years and still can't decide on a setting, so I can feel your pain! However, I 100% want mine in an antique style setting. I just saw many of the LAD/CVB settings in person, and they are gorgeous! I am considering something by Caysie right now. But if I had a 7mm stone, my long time love is the Van Craeynest 484, and that is what I would do if I had a stone that size. I have a picture of a yg sample ring with a 7mm, but I would do platinum. The sides have beautiful scrolls carved in them.

img_8324.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1434570272|3890455 said:
Star sparkle, I have your setting pinned on my Pinterest board! It's gorgeous. :love:

I'm fairly certain I don't want a halo for this stone, because it's an M color, and also because my DH isn't a huge fan of halos (I have a halo RHR, though), and because this will be the largest diamond in my circle of friends and making it appear even larger with a halo would be kinda too much for my age/region/career.

I do kind of like metal 'halo' looks, though. I'm a big fan of the Megan Thorne picture frame ring, but can't seem to imagine it being created for a round stone and looking good. I also liked a PSers former ring that was based on a Single Stone design, where the 'halo' was engraved with antique designs instead of having pave. But I don't want a super huge gallery or an area under the stone where water can get trapped since I have a weird skin reaction when water gets trapped under my rings, so I'd need a very small metal doughnut in place of an open underside beneath the stone...

I'm thinking custom is maybe my only solution to get exactly what I want. :rolleyes:

Aww, thanks! My OEC is an M, too!

I also love that Single Stone design, that was actually my second choice for a forever setting for my OEC!! It's pretty fantastic.

My third choice was this gorgeous tapered setting with rounds. I'd have done it with OECs, though. I still dream of getting a setting like this one day!

img_8334.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also LOVE the Casablanca halo that you posted above and recently had the chance to try one on! I think it would also be fabulous with a stone the size of yours. I love it but am a bit worried about the size of my stone with a halo. It's still a contender, though!

Here is the one I tried on. It has the stone set in an inner bezel. I would do all platinum, though. Pictured at the bottom is CvB's Chloe solitaire which is gorgeous, too.

_31214.jpg

cvbchloe2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1434563009|3890380 said:
When I upgraded an 8.44mm OEC, I had no idea how I'd want it set long-term so I had Adam put it in an inexpensive vintage-inspired solitaire that I could wear around while deciding what to do. When I initially got the ring, I had been planning on waiting at least a year before resetting so I could give myself plenty of time to decide and replenish the bling fund enough to get a pricey setting guilt-free. However, I quickly realized that I am NOT a solitaire gal and within a month I was itching for something more. The solitaire, while elegant and pretty and all that, just bored me and confused me so much that I actually started thinking that maybe an almost-2.5ct stone was just "too small" for me. :wall:

Luckily for me, I soon realized that it wasn't the stone that I was dissatisfied with, it was the solitaire setting. Within 5 months, I began that reset process into my current halo, which I love to pieces.

And of course none of this is to say that solitaires are bad because I do love them on other people, they just aren't for me. I think if I had missy's gorgeous Bea in a solitaire, though, I'd die a happy woman. That thing is amazing!!!

So, long story short, I guess I'd suggest you really do some soul searching and see what types of settings speak to you. Would you be happy with a solitaire long-term, or are you like me in that you need something with a bit more pizzazz to really make you smile? Sometimes it takes wearing different styles for an extended period to really know what you like/want, as I learned through my journey.

Good luck!!!

Thank you star sparkle! Bea sends her love to you too. :wavey:
I am glad you found your dream setting and it is GORGEOUS and I could be happy wearing her too believe me. For her I could be a halo girl. :love:

I completely agree with what you wrote. You have to find the setting that makes your heart goes pitter patter and sometimes that can change over time too and that can be the challenging (but fun) part. Variety is the spice of life right? As long as one has the funds to change things up a bit no one says the setting has to be forever... :naughty:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
missy|1434623135|3890744 said:
I completely agree with what you wrote. You have to find the setting that makes your heart goes pitter patter and sometimes that can change over time too and that can be the challenging (but fun) part. Variety is the spice of life right? As long as one has the funds to change things up a bit no one says the setting has to be forever... :naughty:

Yes, I really do want this to be my dream ring so I'd like to get it right on the first shot, but of course resetting would be an option if that didn't happen. I would probably just have to wait in order to convince DH it's a good idea. :lol:

I think I may go to a local jewelry store and try on halos and solitaires with stones approximately the same size as mine. I want to keep my same wedding band (plain 2mm white gold) and continue to wear my bezel band, as well.

DS, thank you SO MUCH for posting those photos of Caysie's designs--I love both of them! I may ask her if she can make the Casablanca without side stones on the swags--maybe do engraving instead, and perhaps the same idea for the halo itself. Her engraved bands are so lovely, it might be possible, it's just hard for me to *see* mentally. I also love the Chloe solitaire but that big open space beneath the stone wouldn't work for my sensitive skin and regular hand-washing--any of my rings that have spaces like that cause me skin irritation, whereas my rings that are closed backs or just solid metal against my skin don't cause any problems. This is one reason to go with a thin solitaire with no open doughnut.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1434623135|3890744 said:
Thank you star sparkle! Bea sends her love to you too. :wavey:
I am glad you found your dream setting and it is GORGEOUS and I could be happy wearing her too believe me. For her I could be a halo girl. :love:

Thanks, missy!!

The bolded part above is also so true! I was actually never a halo girl, either, but once I got the inspiration for my reset design I just knew that that was The One, even though it WAS a halo and I'd never really liked them. It's so funny how these things work sometimes!

rubybeth|1434630966|3890785 said:
I also love the Chloe solitaire but that big open space beneath the stone wouldn't work for my sensitive skin and regular hand-washing--any of my rings that have spaces like that cause me skin irritation, whereas my rings that are closed backs or just solid metal against my skin don't cause any problems. This is one reason to go with a thin solitaire with no open doughnut.

If you do opt to go this direction, can I advise that you try to leave at least a tiny open donut area? I know of a number of people here on PS who have set OECs into solitaires with no open donut who later regret it because it makes the culet virtually unnoticeable, and after all, the cute culets are part of an OEC's amazing charm! Just something to consider.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1434646564|3890923 said:
rubybeth|1434630966|3890785 said:
I also love the Chloe solitaire but that big open space beneath the stone wouldn't work for my sensitive skin and regular hand-washing--any of my rings that have spaces like that cause me skin irritation, whereas my rings that are closed backs or just solid metal against my skin don't cause any problems. This is one reason to go with a thin solitaire with no open doughnut.

If you do opt to go this direction, can I advise that you try to leave at least a tiny open donut area? I know of a number of people here on PS who have set OECs into solitaires with no open donut who later regret it because it makes the culet virtually unnoticeable, and after all, the cute culets are part of an OEC's amazing charm! Just something to consider.

Hmm, I did not realize this. I have a fake OEC in a closed bezel and the culet is perfectly visible. Perhaps the type of solitaire matters (space between where the culet rests, not nestling it too deep into the solitaire)?

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
this is such a hard, but very very exciting project! i'd love to see a pic of your new upgraded stone! i decided to pipe up because the link to Caysie's Casablanca halo is one she designed for me, and I love it! My stone is 8.6mm, so it definitely has more presence. But the halo is so so dainty which is why I went with the design. The pave adds just a bit of frosting, but would look equally gorgeous with some engraving that would match your sophia band.

I would totally agree with Star_Sparkle's advice, and have you first decide whether you are more of a solitaire or halo girl. I had a solitaire for about 1.5 years, and really thought I loved the simple, clean look. I trashed that pretty quickly after just a few conversations with Caysie and seeing her amazing sketches. It also doesn't hurt to talk to a few designers and tell them what you're looking for. Just a few details and you'd be amazed what they can come up with! I'm sure you also know that LAD has a try before you buy which is SO COOL! I'm excited to see what you come up with!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
sweetpea&babycorn, you are right. I need to decide between a metal/engraved halo and a solitaire, since I obviously can't have both. :lol: I do LOVE the Casablanca, and when it's closer to the time I can get this piece ordered, I probably will do the try before you buy option with LAD. My stone is indirectly from there (I bought it Pre-Loved since the original owner wasn't wearing it much).

The LAD page with photos and video: http://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Loose-Vintage-and-Antique-Diam/143ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/

I'll attach a photo of the stone closeup and the temp setting it's in (18k white gold head with rose gold shank). It's really nice that the stone is already in a simple solitaire. I know I don't want a very simple solitaire, but one with some interesting details--this is why the Caroline from Vatche still appeals to me, with just that touch of bling on the basket, and I can have it made with double-claw prongs (Liza at Whiteflash has been amazing about answering my questions!). I also still love the Legato, and that can be made with double-claw prongs, as well. Will attach a photo. Another option is the Ritani tulip cathedral setting, which Whiteflash can get for me. Ahhh, so many choices.

img_3335.png

img_8357.jpg

img_8358.jpg

img_8359.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think I may have found a setting that does everything I want, and it belongs to a PSer, DorotheaBrooke. I sent a message to Maytal Hannah to find out if this could be adjusted for a round stone. I'd have it made in 18k white gold to match my other rings, but other than that, the details seem perfect--an interesting top view with the inner bezel milgrained, a cathedral side profile with floral detail, etc. :appl: I hope DorotheaBrooke would be okay with me having a similar ring... :naughty:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-maytal-hannah-ring-with-gog-august-vintage-cushion.201826/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-maytal-hannah-ring-with-gog-august-vintage-cushion.201826/[/URL]

ring-2-2.jpg

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, Rubybeth!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Well, I got the quote from MH, and it's quite a bit higher than what I hoped to spend. :???: I have also seen Diamonds by Lauren do a very similar setting in white gold, but I know they don't set outside stones. So I've got a quote request in with DK to find out if he could do an "inspired by" setting--thinking perhaps unplated white gold a la Packrat's bezel 3-stone, since after nearly 7 years (closer to 8 by the time I re-set), my wedding band has warmed considerably and I like the look.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
It's lovely, rubybeth! I would also recommend reaching out to BE/ERD, I've seen them do a similar setting in the past with a similar profile. I can't remember whose ring it was, hopefully it comes to me soon!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, exactly!! I'm sure you could ask them to thicken the bezel for you and engrave/milgrain the inner edge just like the MH, and it'd be fab!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Lightning quick quote from David Klass is *extremely reasonable* and I've seen other styles where he's done petal baskets, milgrain, and bezels, so I think this is probably my best option. :appl: Something to look forward to for next spring!! Keep your fingers crossed that DH finds an awesome job after he graduates. ;))

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1435063331|3893013 said:
Lightning quick quote from David Klass is *extremely reasonable* and I've seen other styles where he's done petal baskets, milgrain, and bezels, so I think this is probably my best option. :appl: Something to look forward to for next spring!! Keep your fingers crossed that DH finds an awesome job after he graduates. ;))

Awesome news! I have a ring by him with milgrain and another ring by him with a petal basket. so I know it'll turn out great!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's good news!! David is great to work with

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results