shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC lovers and experts please give opinions!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1362428603|3396109 said:
I don't think that cushion will look like some of the well cut antiques we have seen. The table is a little too large for my taste. The problem that creates is a very marked malese cross in the center (at best) or a big old widow into the stone (at worst). I suspect the stone would have good life from the periphery, but could look glassy under the table. If you want a very rustic antique cushion I think that is an option worth considering if the price is good and there is a return policy -- but even then tread with caution! I know of at least two people who have made large purchases on ebay and had a very hard time getting their refunds despite a return policy. SO all that said... do you want a rustic cushion?

No, I think I have decided against that stone...given the dimensions AND I really am not a "rustic" type girl.

Ironically, there is a stone that has been at the top of my list for a while...I would love feedback on it, but it is from a recognizable vendor so I am hesitant to bring it up here. My husband thinks we should go for it. But, I can't imagine making a move without getting PS approval. ;)) I have seen people post well known stones before on here, but aren't they afraid of them getting snatched up or am I being paranoid?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Put the diamond on hold then post it :))

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Okay...good idea...that will have to wait until tomorrow then...

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I have another option. Please give me your thoughts and opinions! BTW, I am not sure if I have thanked you all enough for all the help you have provided...

Is this obstruction or nail head or something NOT good?

Stats: BIG, L (EGL), VS2
10.85 - 10.61 x 6.47mm
55% table
60% depth

head_on.jpg
tilted_side.jpg
profile_2.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At first look, I like it! Love the setting, too. More pics, possibly?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
GemFever|1362625270|3398599 said:
At first look, I like it! Love the setting, too. More pics, possibly?

Really? I thought the obstruction issue would be a deal breaker. What do you think about that?

At this time I don't have any more pics. This is the PS screening to see if I would want to move forward at all with this option. Large table though right?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that what you see in the first pic is not obstruction but contrast. It's a view of the stone in lighting that's making it look contrasty as opposed to sparkly. Though I may be wrong, so I hope you get other opinions soon.

In terms of table... it's a little bigger than the tiny OEC tables, but lately I've been looking at all these pretty trannies with checkerboard patterns... sometimes a slightly bigger table is not such a bad thing, if the stone performs well. That is to say, it doesn't necessarily have to be a deal breaker.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I don't know the difference between contrast and obstruction then :oops:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I could very easily be wrong... but it just seems the dark area is not all totally black like with nailhead or obstruction, but a kind of even grey that spreads out to the outer facets (crown facets, are they called?) evenly. Now I'm super curious to hear some more opinions!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: Any other opinions?

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Looks pretty warm in that platinum, like N-O maybe?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Just from the pictures I think I would be ok with the color. How about the cut?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
valmanin|1362667285|3398978 said:
Just from the pictures I think I would be ok with the color. How about the cut?

Is this something you're looking at in person, or are these online photos of the ring? I wish I knew what to tell you on the cut, because this is something I still wrestle with with these old cuts, and it's so hard to tell from just a couple of pics. I think it is pretty, but hoepfully Dreamer will weigh in here or Fortekitty. They've got a lot more experience with evaluating a couple of pics. Is there a return policy?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Hi bastecat! I have not seen this stone in person. My local jeweler has been digging around for me. He LOVES old cuts but rarely gets the chance to work with them because there is little demand in this market. Anyway, he can bring it in.

I was hoping to hear from the experts ;-) though before I have him go through the trouble. Wondering if it is worth considering or a pass?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results