shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC lovers and experts please give opinions!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
This is my first post but I have been reading/studying for quite a while now. I would love to know your opinions on this stone.

Between 3-4 carats
K
VS2 (GIA "trained" appraiser...I know pretty meaningless)
Table 51%...not crazy about that...would like smaller I think.
Depth 58.8% (shallow?) The stone was measured by the appraiser when it was loose.

I saw the stone in person yesterday and took lots of pictures. I like it but have some concerns as well and with nothing to compare it to IRL I would love some feedback...this is the only OEC of this size I have ever seen in person. I am thinking of going the AVR route since it seems "safer" but I thought I would give this local stone a shot first. So, let me have it! I want to learn from having seen this OEC in person. What do you all think? You can be critical...I am not attached to it yet! ;-)

I hope these pictures show enough to make an opinion!

2013-02-27_11.jpg
cropped5.jpg
cropped2.jpg
cropped3.jpg
cropped4.jpg
cropped.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
No expert but I like the pattern from what I am seeing. What is that on, a bracelet? :cheeky:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
It definitely needs to be freed from that prison of an ugly setting. That setting is doing it no favors.

It does seem to have a nice pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing what comments you get from the people who are skilled at evaluating these things.

liz

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I want all opinions, not just experts ;-) just wanted to make sure the resident experts weigh in as well. :D

It is on a ring, but I really dislike the ring so I was attempting to cover it with a very cheap rose gold watch.

Thanks!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
LibbyLA|1362077163|3392768 said:
It definitely needs to be freed from that prison of an ugly setting. That setting is doing it no favors.

It does seem to have a nice pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing what comments you get from the people who are skilled at evaluating these things.

liz

Not sure if you mean the watch band I put next to it or the mounting? But, I TOTALLY agree. In fact, I dislike it so much it kind of throws me off!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
valmanin,

The actual head. If the diamond is out of round, that head just accentuates the problem. If the head is out of round, it makes the diamond look out of round. Anyway a different setting would certainly make the diamond look better than it does now.

I don't know that the table is too large, it looks like the crown isn't as tall as it could be, but that goes with the (relatively) shallow depth. It's not really shallow, per se, just shallow for OEC. Maybe it's a tranny or a late OEC.

What's the price on it (ballpark)? Because it's shallower than many/most OECs, you'd be getting a lot of spread for your buck with it.

liz

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
It does have a good spread (9.7 mm) and the stone itself looked uniformly round to my eye. However, I always wonder if you get the good spread but you lose the high crown is it worth it, kwim? Not sure which I would prefer...actually I would prefer BOTH! Anyway, it is priced in the low 20's.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Quite the honker you got there!! :bigsmile:

Pictures only tell such a small fraction of the story when it comes to old cuts. I am by NO MEANS an expert, but a lover for sure! If I'm judging solely on the pictures - the faceting pattern looks pretty but the centre looks a bit dead. Could just be the pics though.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
lin_ny|1362078594|3392797 said:
Quite the honker you got there!! :bigsmile:

Pictures only tell such a small fraction of the story when it comes to old cuts. I am by NO MEANS an expert, but a lover for sure! If I'm judging solely on the pictures - the faceting pattern looks pretty but the centre looks a bit dead. Could just be the pics though.

I am concerned about that from the pictures I took as well. I didn't notice that in person but I don't know if the stone is a good performer or not since this is the only one of this size I have seen. Also, I am an awful picture taker...kids, diamonds, you name it so I'm not sure if I did it justice.

I am loving the feedback...thanks! More??? :D

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's pretty. What would you set it in? Anything in mind?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
backwardsandinheels|1362082005|3392852 said:
I think it's pretty. What would you set it in? Anything in mind?

not sure yet...I'm waiting until I have picked the diamond so I can get an idea of what it needs. I am really liking all the rose gold I have seen on here though...and definitely simple.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I realized that in my haste to get opinions I completely forgot to give any details. Oops! Anyway, this is a 10 year anniversary ring...really a 10 years and 3 kids ring! Originally I thought it would be a rhr but now I think it will be an er upgrade or switcher-outer. Anyway, I would love comments/evaluations from all the people who know more than me about old cuts...so that is anyone really! Anyone?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd say that depth percentage it outside my OEC comfort zone, I'd be worried about leakage. In the end though, you have to judge with your eyes. Can you go see it again? Can you see it in various lighting environments? Do the facets under the table look sharp and crisp, or kind of washed out?

Congrats on the upgrade! Whether this stone or another, I hope you find something perfect!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It looks nice to me. I do see a tiny bit of leakage, but much less than I'd expect to see from that depth. I think the shallower crown complements the pavillion, so it works. If you can see it again, hold it against the light between your fingers and take a few pictures. It should make the pattern pop more so we can see it better.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks GemFever and Fortekitty! By the way, GemFever, I saw you got a new lovely! Congratulations and I can't wait to see it free and in your favorite setting.

Fortekitty, thanks for chiming in...I am IN LOVE with your hg and is one of the main reasons I began looking at oec's...just breathtaking. I would love to find her twin. I'm sure many on this forum would!

I can see it again and in fact the vendor will un-mount (???) dis-mount (okay really not sure what the technical term is) :lol: ...anyway, take it out of its prison for me. I only want to have that done though if I am very serious about it. I am trying to decide if it is worth it or I should keep looking. Hmmmm....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1362110695|3393316 said:
It looks nice to me. I do see a tiny bit of leakage, but much less than I'd expect to see from that depth. I think the shallower crown complements the pavillion, so it works. If you can see it again, hold it against the light between your fingers and take a few pictures. It should make the pattern pop more so we can see it better.

Ditto. Again 8)

Gorgeous faceting. The area of potential concern is the under-table facets. I don't see anything screaming "run away" from those photos, but the first distance photo in particular makes me concerned that those facets might be lazy.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a big rock! I'm envious. I'm not an expert, but was it also graded a K by the appraiser? It seems to look more tinted (maybe it's the setting and/or the lighting) than a K and I thought that OECs generally face up 1-2 grades lighter than their graded color?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1362076718|3392759 said:
No expert but I like the pattern from what I am seeing. What is that on, a bracelet? :cheeky:

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

The faceting looks nice. Did you like it? What is the diameter? Nice size stone...you will have to get something a lot smaller than that if you go with an AVR. You might consider getting the specs on the stone and see if Jon can have it recut for you.

what's the price?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Aww thanks!!

You said the price is in the low 20s... For that price, I'd want it to be perfect. No doubt at all. I like the diamond, but I would need more pictures. Can you try to get some picture of it looking its worst?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1362118605|3393404 said:
Ditto. Again 8)

Gorgeous faceting. The area of potential concern is the under-table facets. I don't see anything screaming "run away" from those photos, but the first distance photo in particular makes me concerned that those facets might be lazy.

Dreamer, thanks for weighing in! Of course when I was looking at the diamond in person I didn't see lazy facets but I DID notice that I had to look closely to see the flower-type pattern in the middle...so maybe there is a lack of crispness there. Can you please tell me what the overall affect would be in the performance if the under-table facets are lazy? How does this translate? I am wondering if I noticed it in the performance. Also, I feel like the ring it is mounted in sort of swallows it and makes it hard for the diamond to "shine"...not sure if this is possible because it seems like being set should enhance it right?

Thanks for all of your responses! This is really helping me!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1362118964|3393407 said:
Wow, what a big rock! I'm envious. I'm not an expert, but was it also graded a K by the appraiser? It seems to look more tinted (maybe it's the setting and/or the lighting) than a K and I thought that OECs generally face up 1-2 grades lighter than their graded color?

It was graded K by the appraiser, but of course I take this with a LARGE grain of salt! My concern with the color for our first meeting was to see if it was a pleasing tone and I thought it was...kind of an ivory which is what I want. It definitely looked more tinted in the photos than IRL. I have some pics with my er (I will have to dig them up) which is an E mrb and even it looked a little tinted in the photos...so :???: :???: I will try to post those...

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
ariel144|1362119365|3393411 said:
pandabee|1362076718|3392759 said:

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

The faceting looks nice. Did you like it? What is the diameter? Nice size stone...you will have to get something a lot smaller than that if you go with an AVR. You might consider getting the specs on the stone and see if Jon can have it recut for you.

what's the price?

I did like it, but I don't want to be swayed by a large diameter of the first stone I see. I want to make sure it's a great performer! The diameter is 9.7. I would imagine I would have to wait for an AVR of the size I want. I see they don't have any right now. I also really like the idea of having an old stone, but I am open! It is priced in the low 20's and I would try to get that down if I decided I wanted that stone.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
ForteKitty|1362121610|3393428 said:
Aww thanks!!

You said the price is in the low 20s... For that price, I'd want it to be perfect. No doubt at all. I like the diamond, but I would need more pictures. Can you try to get some picture of it looking its worst?

I will post some more pictures...it doesn't look great in some of them, but I'm not sure any diamond would given my photography skills. I remember reading a post where you said your 9.9 can't take a bad picture. I am assuming that is because of its phenomenal cut right?

Okay...photos to come...

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Okay...I hope this helps...

color_comp.jpg

Here is the color comparison with my er (E) on the top, her er (yes I ripped it off her finger for pics)...poor lady...it's an H, and the "K" on the bottom.

next_to_oec.jpg

Here it is next to another oec she had for comparison (it was over 2 carats)...

not_great1.jpg

As per fortekitty's request...I don't think it looks great here...

not_great2.jpg

Another not great shot.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot I took some with my other camera...

More and more...

vid_cam.jpg

vid_cam2.jpg

vid_cam3.jpg

vid_cam4.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the faceting on this diamond. And in one of your pics the pastel colors shooting out of it is gorgeous! It does look a bit dark in the center in some of your pics though but so difficult to say from these photos if that is a problem IRL. How does it perform in every day real life? Static pics don't show the real performance of the stone so what are your thoughts on that? I have to say though the faceting is just lovely!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1362148789|3393535 said:
I love the faceting on this diamond. And in one of your pics the pastel colors shooting out of it is gorgeous! It does look a bit dark in the center in some of your pics though but so difficult to say from these photos if that is a problem IRL. How does it perform in every day real life? Static pics don't show the real performance of the stone so what are your thoughts on that? I have to say though the faceting is just lovely!

Hi Missy! I think you have nailed the problem I am having...I am not sure how it performs IRL because I have nothing to compare it to and like fortekitty said if I am going to pay that price it should be perfect. So much to think about...

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
If the pics I posted don't help I also have a video that I could send to anyone who wants to help!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd love to see the video! I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I'll give some sort of opinion :rodent: Do you have anything listed on Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro so I can contact you?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have anything listed. Do you? That may be the easiest way to go! Thanks for the help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results