shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC in modern palladium bridge setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here is my Christmas present from the hubby. This is a 1.04 oec stone that I acquired last spring from a private seller on ebay. It was in the ugliest mounting I''d ever seen, complicated by the fact that I don''t think it had been cleaned since 1975! But I took a chance based on what I could see of the cut, and found this beauty! Unfortunately, I ended up selling it last summer to help reroof our house.

Well, at the beginning of December a big hail storm hit our neighborhood and homeowners'' insurance ended up totalling out about two dozen roofs, our new one included. This meant we had quite a bit of unanticipated cash for the holiday. At the same time the current owner listed this ring for sale. Hubby and I came together and the stone came home.

The new mounting is very attractive, but I don''t think it shows the color or the cut of the stone to its best advantage so I have a long term goal of remounting this little beauty. It measures just over 6mm, is slightly cushion shaped, and in many lights a very pretty light yellow color. I''d like to maximize all of that.

I had started a thread a couple of weeks ago about this but it was before I had the diamond on my own hand. I though I''d share pictures and generate some new thoughts.

palladiumoeccollage.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the original after I cleaned her up.

uglyoriginaloecmounting.JPG

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone! You always post the most amazing old beauties! I''m green with envy! Enjoy it.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I like the contrast of the modern setting with the lovely old stone. It''s a fun mix of the old and the new!

I agree though, that something else could bring out its character a bit more.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ooh that''s lovely - that stone is just mesmerizing
30.gif
30.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Love it! Beautiful stone!
30.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually really like the sleek look. Are you thinking of something modern or more antique looking?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sold on either, I just want something that brings out the beauty in the "stone" itself. I''ve thought about bezel ala James Meyer, a classic Leon Mege solitaire with yellow basket. These are the two leaders at the moment.

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 1:03:48 PM
Author: Upgradable
I''m not sold on either, I just want something that brings out the beauty in the ''stone'' itself. I''ve thought about bezel ala James Meyer, a classic Leon Mege solitaire with yellow basket. These are the two leaders at the moment.
That''s what I''m planning. I think it would be wonderful for you, too.
36.gif

Absolutely can''t wait til next weekend when we''re going to meet with him! I''m still not sure I will have a stone to bring with me.....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a pretty, pretty stone! And what a pretty, pretty setting! But, I agree, maybe not together ... I''d LOVE to see the stone in a Coati special, and the setting with a gorgeous asscher or princess. That said, I won''t say not to more pics in the meantime!

P.S. - There is something very kismet about the stone boomeranging back to you.
9.gif

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 1:03:48 PM
I'm not sold on either, I just want something that brings out the beauty in the 'stone' itself. I've thought about bezel ala James Meyer, a classic Leon Mege solitaire with yellow basket. These are the two leaders at the moment.
Have you taken a look at any of the Sholdt bezels/semi-bezels ? they are TDF!!!!

ETA: a couple of links on Sholdt's:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-of-sholdt.88874/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sholdt-semi-bezel.93098/

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi upgradable :)

i bought an OEC stone - also in ''the ugliest setting you''ll ever see'' earlier last year. like yours, it has a faint yellow. it''s 1.12ct, a J in color, and just a shade over 6.5mm. i pulled it out of its setting and just had it placed in a tiffany setting i had laying around empty. here is it now with the band i wear it with....

whitbyrings.jpg

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Just love that stone!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
and here''s the setting from which we rescued it. it''s about a mile high and has all sorts of amounts of metal used in the basket! it''s hall marked 1920, and i normally love rings from this period - but this one sure was somebody''s flight of fancy!!

uglyring.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Whitby, what a wonderful stone!! Isn''t it fun to come across something like this?

And Catherine, I love the Scholdt settings!! I wonder if they would make my stone appear warmer or whiter? Do you think they could/would rim the semibezel in yellow gold?

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 2:22:17 PM
Whitby, what a wonderful stone!! Isn''t it fun to come across something like this?

And Catherine, I love the Scholdt settings!! I wonder if they would make my stone appear warmer or whiter? Do you think they could/would rim the semibezel in yellow gold?
I had a quick look at their site, and didn''t see anything resembling that. I would contact them directly to see what they can or cannot do for you. Keep us updated!
31.gif

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradeable-That is a true beauty of a stone! I am not sold on the setting, too modern for that OEC stone. Can''t wait to see wha you do with it!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! I think the current setting is pretty.

Isn''t it wonderful to see the beautiful treasures that can be found when you look past an "ugly" setting??

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''ve worked with Julian from Pearlman''s before and he''s a dream!! I''ll message him and ask if Scholdt would plate the inside of this mounting with yellow gold and give it a thin yellow gold lip on the bezel. I think that would accentuate this stone beautifully!

scholdtsemibezelPearlmans.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG that would ROCK!!!

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 3:06:22 PM
I''ve worked with Julian from Pearlman''s before and he''s a dream!! I''ll message him and ask if Scholdt would plate the inside of this mounting with yellow gold and give it a thin yellow gold lip on the bezel. I think that would accentuate this stone beautifully!
that would be stunning!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another option from Etienne Peret, but I like the contrast of the white metal along with the yellow gold to maximize the color of the stone.

etienneperetLowTulip.jpg

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 3:07:42 PM
Here''s another option from Etienne Peret, but I like the contrast of the white metal along with the yellow gold to maximize the color of the stone.
this is one of my very favorites on PS: kboggs set. I am loving YG more and more!

ring102108.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
If Scholdt can''t/won''t do it, it may be worthwhile contacting Mark Morrell for this. I think it would be perfect.

Catherine, I love that blue diamond yellow gold tension combo too!!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
That stone is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture of the stone before it was mounted. I''m really having a hard time finding examples of mountings with a yellow gold head and white body. Most two toned settings are just the opposite.

DSCN3964a.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
and here''s one that shows more of the yellow body color.

DSCN3874a.jpg

mommy2iz

Brilliant_Rock
gorgeous stone! what about a yellow halo to enhance the color? just a thought.....i love the other ideas as well. hard to go wrong with that beauty!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to halo since my ering is a halo. And I think this stone can and should stand on it''s own beauty, so minimal, if any accents.

I just received an email from Julian at Pearlman''s. They are going to mock up the Scholdt with yellow gold plating inside for me to view, then inquire with Scholdt on the $$!!!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I really love oecs!!!!! Very pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results