shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC hunt begins, how to narrow choices? Need help with guidelines.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooohhh, I love this! Can't wait to see this ring!

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
might be awhile, we are still in cads...veered off this course, thinking a bit more art deco. ..we shall see.
Waiting on new cads...

LOVE Art Deco : ) Keep us posted! It will be beautiful!!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Omg, y'all...am I the only woman who has STRUGGLED with indecision? Progress has been made..gallery perfected, shoulders perfected.....but I am STUCK between a round bezel top...easy to wear, classic, simple...or a knock my socks off octagon that just seems like the perfect setting for this stone. I got cold feet and just told them to cast the bezel yesterday. But now I'm angsting and honestly, just not as excited as I would be if the octagon was being cast!
What would you do? I've gone back and forth, no doubt driving DK / Amy insane. 2 months, and no ring! I'm thinking I'll call tomorrow and just have them wait till January. :cry2:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
That suggests to me you need to ask them to cast the octagon? Sometimes you have to actually move forward with decisions to realise which one is the correct one! :D

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I think you'll regret it if you don't. Look at your language use in your post. It's obvious your heart wants the octagon. Follow your heart, otherwise you'll always wonder what if.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank @CHRISTY-DANIELLE Ask him to make you two models that you can put on your finger. You will get a better idea which one when you can see it on your hand..I need him to do that once for a ring and once for earrings.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Ok here’s a crazy idea. Ask them to wait. Then grab this setting, pop the cz out and lay your beautiful OEC into the setting to show your heart a 3-d version that would be similar. Let your eyes play. Then let your heart decide what to do next.
863CD7D6-56AA-4375-94B1-72C9BB1AF27A.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
My stomach is in knots thinking about calling them. I know they are super nice, but I've gone back and forth already. My dh liked the round better and that design is finished, so I thought I'll just do that and be done. Meanwhile, I finally figured out how I'd want the octagon done (we were having some trouble getting it right), and now my dh says he likes it and sees why I like it. (Hearing my dh say : "the shape really compliments the faceting" was a total surprise!)
I don't know why but I'm so nervous about calling DK. What if they already cast?
Adding the face up view of the two, (the octagon is a rough draft).
20191219_085640.jpg

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say, based on your post you sound like your heart wants the octagon. Don't worry about temporary "embarrassment" of calling them, you will be wearing this for YEARS, DECADES even!! Do you want to look at it every day and have a pang of regret because you were worried about someone else's feelings? Take care of YOUR wants! The embarrassment will disappear the second that ring is on your finger. I know exactly how you're feeling right now, I have been there many times, but I always regret "forever" when I dont speak up for myself, the embarrassment part is over 10 minutes after the exchange takes place. LOL.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
The octagon is perfect. Honestly it's another level. Please phone them! I know it can be excruciating when you feel like a nuisance already but honestly, I think they would be sad for you to not get what you wanted because you were nervous about contacting them.

I had one design for my ring where my jeweller had already got all the pavé stones shipped from America and I had told them to go ahead and cast... and then I changed my mind and we had to redo the CAD, get new stones shipped, and I had to wait longer for the finished ring... But it was totally worth it - as anxious as I was at the time to throw everything back up in the air I don't regret it at all. I would have regretted not.

Follow your heart.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
The octagon is gorgeous and what you want more. Could you send them an email instead of calling? Maybe even email them to let them know you have second thoughts and are going to call them?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, @Lykame I know you are right. I am sooo nervous about contacting them though, not gonna lie. Throwing caution to the wind, here's a very rough draft of the whole thing. I just love it!
20191219_102545.png

Please don’t let nervousness to make a call stop you from your dream ring! The call might be minutes of discomfort. Not making the call might result in years of regret.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Having now seen the illustrations, I totally understand the appeal. Call them. You’ll be relieved! And you’ll have the ring of your dreams. It has you written all over it.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I would actually call on your behalf if you want! :lol:

Honestly seriously.

Otherwise - I agree with @OdetteOdile, perhaps email them first to soften it a little for you? Or write a short guideline script of what you want to say so you have a way of easing through the nerves?

Best of luck!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Lol, pleeez call, @Lykame ?!
I'm literally sweating.
Email first, soften the blow...good plan.

This has stressed me out! from stone shopping, purchase and now 2 months of design and countless cads. It always seems like others know exactly what they want, one cad, ring done, in about a month. Then there's ME:wall:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm literally sweating.

This has stressed me out! from stone shopping, purchase and now 2 months of design and countless cads. It always seems like others know exactly what they want, one cad, ring done, in about a month. Then there's ME:wall:

And I don't even have the diamond here. .. it's been with DK since October.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I'm literally sweating.

Would you like me to? :kiss2: Would be happy to!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Ha, ha...no. that might make me seem even weirder! I'm composing my email now. Telling them to hold til after the holidays. Sending my octo top idea. Hoping they just don't give up and send my diamond back to me. :shock:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ha, ha...no. that might make me seem even weirder! I'm composing my email now. Telling them to hold til after the holidays. Sending my octo top idea. Hoping they just don't give up and send my diamond back to me. :shock:

Excellent excellent! Didn't think I would need to ;)2... It would have been the strangest conversation ever but I was willing!

I think you've made the correct decision. Keep us updated!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Email sent. I'll let you know the response. But I guess the truth is right here, how I feel right now. .. so excited again, if they can do this I will love it for years to come.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it ease your mind to offer to pay for the extra CAD work? Or use the first design for a colored stone, or a simulant for a travel ring?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE I was so hoping to see a finished ring!!
I am off to a meeting and then a holiday party, but I am going to go against the grain here. Please don’t take it personally. Having had both designs (and knowing our taste is similar), I would definitely hold off until you really think hard about it.

Here is why quickly...You have a look you (we) always love, the round bezel. The octagon is really beautiful, but is it you? Having had an octagon for a similarly sized stone, I personally would now opt for a hexagon ( @Mamabean has one of his) as the more sides you have, the more round it will look (as my artist daughter pointed out to me on my failed octagon attempt).

I also know that you love the ease of bezels rather than prongs. Forever ring...octagon something else first perhaps?

I would be happy to chat more offline; you have my email... good luck to you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you hesitation about the octagon stems from some kind of concern about comfort or wearability, you can put that to rest provided that the prongs are nestled down into the basket somewhat. I wore a prong-set octagon ring for years and it is very wearable and I venture no different than a true bezel in that regard.

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
Love the octagon!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! Don’t be so afraid to call! Speak up. Trust me they are used to this lol, and want you to be happy with your choice. The octagon design is gorgeous. My DH always seems to like the opposite of what I like:roll2: Please make your decision based on what YOU like.

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Whew, nothing but sweetness from Amy @DKJ. They've already cast the round bezel but she's working on this now. It's going to be a slow process, as I'm going to get the plastics for both too, to be 100% sure.
@Slick1 I know we both love the round bezels, but I also have a lot of octagons, my other love. I think my biggest fear was those popular claw prongs. They look great but I tried them out and they don't work for me. I'm planning on little rounded nubs...functional, but barely there. Believe me prongs have been what made me hesitate.
But @dreamer_dachsie I'm so glad you spoke up. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I want to set the stone in an inner octagonal bezel, just covering the girdle, with small prongs coming from the inner corners. Do you think this is a good design to keep the prongs from being a problem? I have some examples I'll attach. I also don't want the stone set low. Would love your feedback. 20191219_131906.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, those images look perfect and it is how my diamond was set. It NEVER caught on anything and was very secure and smooth. It is taking some getting used to now that I am wearing the diamond claw-set and it is a little more "catchy" on stuff -- both bc there are three diamonds and bc one of the claw prongs likes to snag hairs and teensy threads sometimes (But I like seeing more of my diamond in this mount and prefer the optics of my stone in this setting, too, so the compromise is worth it... for now lol)

Some pics of how it was set. I think the girdle was set down within the bezel about 1-2mm, you can see it in the profile picture I think:

474456 474452

And lol talk about prongs that catch! This five stone with so many teensy prongs! It is beautiful though.

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Whew, nothing but sweetness from Amy @DKJ. They've already cast the round bezel but she's working on this now. It's going to be a slow process, as I'm going to get the plastics for both too, to be 100% sure.
@Slick1 I know we both love the round bezels, but I also have a lot of octagons, my other love. I think my biggest fear was those popular claw prongs. They look great but I tried them out and they don't work for me. I'm planning on little rounded nubs...functional, but barely there. Believe me prongs have been what made me hesitate.
But @dreamer_dachsie I'm so glad you spoke up. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I want to set the stone in an inner octagonal bezel, just covering the girdle, with small prongs coming from the inner corners. Do you think this is a good design to keep the prongs from being a problem? I have some examples I'll attach. I also don't want the stone set low. Would love your feedback. 20191219_131906.jpg

Gorgeous setting!!
Very very Art Deco : )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results