shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC arrived today! Here are pics!

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
After a long month of looking and much anticipation, my OEC came in the mail today! Here are the specs:

CARAT WEIGHT: 1.48
COLOR: M
CLARITY: VS1 (GIA report reads "Surface graining not shown"
MEASURE: 7.03 - 7.29 x 4.65
DEPTH: 65.3
TABLE: 46
POLISH: Good
SYMMETRY: Fair
GIRDLE: Very Thin to Slightly Thick
FLUORESCENCE: None
CULET: Slightly Large
GIA: [URL='----']----[/URL]
Price: $5000

Unfortunately, I did get home from work until after sunset so I've pretty much been looking at the diamond under fluorescent and regular yellow lighting. I also have a super bright LED that I've been shining on the diamond, but now I'm seeing spots so I stopped!

So far, the only instance of glaringly obvious yellow is when I shine the bright LED on the diamond. Like Adam says, the diamond itself faces up surprisingly white! I even got a white sheet of paper and had trouble seeing any color when the diamond was upside down. There is some warmth when I put the diamond next to something the color of white gold, which is something I'll have to look at again especially because I was hoping for a white gold setting.

Performance-wise, this diamond is pretty good! Unlike OECs I've checked out in consignment stores, there are no dark facets. I'm excited to see it in the sun tomorrow!

Shapewise, it is somewhat wonky. I'm hoping that setting it will make it look more rounded and symmetrical.

Anyway, less talk, more pics. I just wish I had a real macro lens and didn't have to resort to my cell phone...

img_20151110_184242.jpg

img_20151110_183425.jpg

img_20151110_193712.jpg

img_20151110_195541.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely!! What kind of settings are you thinking about?

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Glad you decided to check one out in person! Fun!

I think you have to think hard about whether the wonky shape bugs you, because the plain solitaire setting isn't going to disguise that much IMO.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
If you make sure the most wonky part (the out of round bit) is placed in the setting up and down the finger and always wear the ring with the wonky bit to the back of the hand you may not notice much on a daily basis.

I have a wonky stone (cause polished a chipped girdle) set like that I barely notice it.

Wonky or not shes a beauty :appl:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely! good choice. I'll bet you're delighted.I can't wait to see it set.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty OEC and I love the pic with the pink colors being reflected back at you. Looking forward to seeing some daylight pics today. What are your thoughts now that you have had it for a while? Make sure to look at it in all different types of environments so you can enjoy its personality. These OECs are real chameleons. She looks like a beauty wonky shape and all!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD04684598

A negligible difference in size to the one you posted probably eye clean (though they would confirm) cheaper if you used the refferal discount, and a J.....

Now I know you love the flashes of an oec. But I also know you want size on a budget and have had trouble finding "your stone"

Just in case this M isn't your stone, just wanted to say there are modern stones out there that might hit many of the boxes you're looking for, even if its not the same boxes the m hits.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
The fire in this diamond is unreal and comparable to one of those "needle in a haystack" OECs in a GoG video. I lucked out for sure!

I did see a little warmth in the sunlight, but I don't think it's enough to make me want to send it back. I did look at it again next to white paper and had trouble seeing yellow. This diamond is whiter than J diamonds I've seen in jewelry stores!

I want to take the diamond out but I'm scared to lose it. Heck, I'm scared to drop it on the floor even though it's a diamond! I may get this baby insured soon!

img_20151111_080436.jpg

img_20151111_100312.jpg

img_20151111_100230.jpg

img_20151111_102120.jpg

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Here's two more, please excuse the cell phone camera quality pics. It's a bummer the macro settings in my other cameras are useless for something this small and sparkly.

img_20151111_102150.jpg

img_20151111_102250.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's totally wonky, but I love that! Very pretty.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a pretty stone, but I would be very cautious about the wonky shape. I think it is going to show in that setting. I also think you can do better if you keep looking.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is very pretty! You are going to have to put it in a different setting if you are keeping that stone. Otherwise I do agree with diamondseeker2006 if you must have that setting.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
I sent an email to Adam who reassured me that the six prong setting will help it look more round. Indeed the shape is part of its charm! He also said if I keep the diamond, he'll have his jeweler set it in "tiny eagle claws" in the Stuller setting.

I definitely have a lot to think about the next few days! Of all the specs to have a holdup over, I never thought it would be symmetry!!!

I will admit that this stone is fast growing on me.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
Another update!

I sent an e-mail to Adam outlining two scenarios and basically asking if I could have an engagement ring by Thanksgiving.

Scenario #1: I keep the diamond and Adam's jeweler sets in the Stuller setting. I pay the cost of the setting.

Scenario #2: I return the diamond and keep looking.

If I go with scenario #1, then I shouldn't have any issues with having a ring by Turkey Day. Scenario #2, who knows. Currently, Adam is checking his inventory to see if he has comparable stones with better symmetry. In the meantime, I'm at home staring at my diamond and debating whether to keep it. It's so shiny!

Question for everyone: If I choose to keep this diamond, what would be the best setting since the general consensus is that I won't be able to go with the Stuller one?

Here's two more pics for kicks

img_20151111_142229.jpg

img_20151111_142046.jpg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think setting in a head something like this with the octagonal shape might help hide the wonky shape? I don't know that it will, but I thought it might. Others might have a better idea if it would help.

erika-winters-bridal-victoria-solitaire-jg-top.jpg

trumpet014.jpg

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She's a beauty. I agree with diamond seeker about the setting. She's wonky but I think you can disguise that with a setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lookinagain|1447283881|3948414 said:
Do you think setting in a head something like this with the octagonal shape might help hide the wonky shape? I don't know that it will, but I thought it might. Others might have a better idea if it would help.

I am inclined to agree that the octagonal shape head might help with disguising the shape a bit. I also don't mind the slightly wonky shape :oops: but that might just be me. I think the stone is gorgeous, and the light play is fantastic!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the octagonal head should work if you like that look. If you want to keep the round look, then a round bezel should help as well as long as you don't mind a metal halo look. Bezeled theme with or without some type of prongs is the key look to help with the wonky shape, but still provide a gorgeous yet simple complement to the stone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kinda like it being out of round.
Many very old diamonds were that way.
It has a certain charm.

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
lovedogs|1447290120|3948502 said:
Lookinagain|1447283881|3948414 said:

I am inclined to agree that the octagonal shape head might help with disguising the shape a bit. I also don't mind the slightly wonky shape :oops: but that might just be me. I think the stone is gorgeous, and the light play is fantastic!

The more I look at it, the more I don't mind the shape too much. When I rotate the diamond clockwise and counterclockwise, there are angles there it looks wonky and angles where it looks pretty round! I guess that's optical illusion for you!

I'll see if Adam has any other diamonds to offer when he e-mails me back tomorrow. I'm almost afraid to give up this diamond because everything else about it is awesome despite the slight asymmetry. I would be so sad if I returned this only to get a diamond that doesn't perform as well.

I did spend a good amount of time looking at four prong settings on Stuller, but my heart is pretty set on the 6 prong setting. I'd rather have a slightly wonky round diamond than one that looks like a square/cushion because of the setting.

So close, yet so far! :wall:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking an eight prong look might do the trick (not thick prongs though, slim but secure ones). Sounds like you really like this stone and I don't mind the shape either. She is a beauty. You would see the wonky shape if set in six prongs. It is up to you, how much would the shape bother you if seen set in the six prong that you were wanting?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. Congratulations.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this OEC is beautiful. :love: The colors, the facets, and it is a good size. I even like the wonky shape. If it makes your heart go pitter patter you have your answer but if you are not sure don't force it. I think an 8 prong would be lovely as a setting but I might be biased since I have an 8 prong.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's lovely! My advice is to get the setting you want and enjoy your stone's personality!

PumpkinsAreAwesome

Shiny_Rock
I've been looking at pictures of 8-prong settings and it does look like a feasible way of making the stone look rounder! However, my concern is given my stone's size, the metal may overwhelm the diamond. Has anyone had any issues with that? If I go with 8 prongs, I'd likely have to go with this mounting and this shank (which doesn't have quite the same band thinness as the Stuller setting I wanted.

Would the placement of prongs help if I stuck with a 6-prong? In the Stuller setting, it looks like the prongs are located at 10:30, 1:30, 3:00, 6:00, 4:30, and 7:30. This is not unlike the 4-prong settings. Of course, I'd have to ask Adam to see if he can mount the diamond in a way that makes it look the roundest.

If I had skills, I almost want to just photoshop prongs onto this thing to see what it looks like! But I'm lazy (and sick, but mostly lazy).

Still waiting to see if Adam has other stone options, though as I stare at my diamond right now, it looks fairly round.

Decisions, decisions! :twirl:

img_20151112_085237.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results